Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Kwolok posted:

Gamers when there is any woman V.O. prominently featured in a game. (Except portal because she is a cool robot wow)
Portal's voice in your ear constantly fed you top quality jokes, Viewfinder is just variations of "ohh ahh wow". There's a bunch of morons in that thread trying to turn it into a culture war thing when it's really just mediocre writing and performances that distract from the cool stuff you do in the game. I'm a little disappointed given the origins of the game, I love Portal, but I guess this is what happens when Valve don't make their loving games. Other people try to make them, but worse (see: B4B).

SCheeseman fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Jul 25, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
"Yeah, that just happened!"

Did you read that in a man or woman's voice? Congrats you now know whether you're a mysoginist or a mysandrist!

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I read it in a really annoying voice that I'm mentally muting rn

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

PantsBandit posted:

"Yeah, that just happened!"

Did you read that in a man or woman's voice? Congrats you now know whether you're a mysoginist or a mysandrist!
I read it in the Forespoken(?) protagonist's voice because IIRC that's a direct quote from one of the game's trailers, and AFAIK it's the most recent game to do that style of narration.

For the record, I'm a retail worker general misanthrope.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022

SCheeseman posted:

Portal's voice in your ear constantly fed you top quality jokes, Viewfinder is just variations of "ohh ahh wow". There's a bunch of morons in that thread trying to turn it into a culture war thing when it's really just mediocre writing and performances that distract from the cool stuff you do in the game. I'm a little disappointed given the origins of the game, I love Portal, but I guess this is what happens when Valve don't make their loving games. Other people try to make them, but worse (see: B4B).

Lol this is the problem. The disambiguation between "Valid critique of bad writing" and "woman bad" is so loving hard to distinguish these days because gamers are forever the worse.

Watched some videos and yeah, that narration really adds loving nothing to the story.

ecavalli
Nov 18, 2012

Is anyone else using a DualShock 4, Steam Deck and official dock for TV play? If so, are you also getting weird disconnects and what feels like Bluetooth interference while playing?

Anyone have any thoughts on a fix? Controller is fully charged.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I haven't noticed any Bluetooth problems with my DS4 on Deck, it's been more reliable over Bluetooth than through the lovely wired connection, considering it's not USB-C and the cable falls out if I shift it too much. One of the many reasons I'd buy a Steam Controller 2.0 with all the Deck features, because it'd be basically guaranteed to be USB-C.

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009
I'm eying xdefiant did casual shooters to play with my friends after beating doom eternal again, but saw it's an Ubisoft game with it's own launcher. How much of a problem is that going to be to get it to work on deck?

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

PageMaster posted:

I'm eying xdefiant did casual shooters to play with my friends after beating doom eternal again, but saw it's an Ubisoft game with it's own launcher. How much of a problem is that going to be to get it to work on deck?

It looks like Lutris supports it but expect to spend some time loving with bleeding edge proton versions, especially if they update ubisoft connect and break it again

ecavalli
Nov 18, 2012

Commander Keene posted:

I haven't noticed any Bluetooth problems with my DS4 on Deck, it's been more reliable over Bluetooth than through the lovely wired connection, considering it's not USB-C and the cable falls out if I shift it too much. One of the many reasons I'd buy a Steam Controller 2.0 with all the Deck features, because it'd be basically guaranteed to be USB-C.

Question: What’s around the Steam Deck? Is there a router or another Wi-Fi-connected gadget extremely close to it?

My deck sits next to a router, and on top of a PS5 and Xbox Series X, so interference seems possible, I just have no idea how to fix it or what the culprit is.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

My router is nowhere near my Deck, it's upstairs from the main internet connection. I do have a PC and several game consoles hooked up to the same monitor. I should probably also mention that I'm generally sitting roughly 3-6 feet from the Deck in its dock when I'm playing docked.

ecavalli
Nov 18, 2012

Commander Keene posted:

My router is nowhere near my Deck, it's upstairs from the main internet connection. I do have a PC and several game consoles hooked up to the same monitor. I should probably also mention that I'm generally sitting roughly 3-6 feet from the Deck in its dock when I'm playing docked.

Thanks for the info! It led me to conclude that the router must be the issue. I moved it across the room, and while my TV is no longer hardwired to internet, I am able to use the DS4 without it freaking out and disconnecting.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

MarcusSA posted:

Good luck with the power ports.

Just had 4 flights and the brick would only stay in one of the plugs across 4 different planes lol

I put my euro adapter on my plug and it held in perfectly where the US kept falling out.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

ecavalli posted:

Is anyone else using a DualShock 4, Steam Deck and official dock for TV play? If so, are you also getting weird disconnects and what feels like Bluetooth interference while playing?

Yeah it was terrible so I stopped trying with the DS4 and looked up how to get a xbox controller wireless adapter working with the deck. The answer is XOne.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

Kwolok posted:

Lol this is the problem. The disambiguation between "Valid critique of bad writing" and "woman bad" is so loving hard to distinguish these days because gamers are forever the worse.

Watched some videos and yeah, that narration really adds loving nothing to the story.
If it helps the game has audio logs from other female characters that i think are well written and performed and fit the tone of the story.

I can kinda see what they were going for, that character is supposed to be an intrusion from outside this complentative puzzle space you are in, a reminder of your isolation from the outside world that becomes less prevalent as you get deeper in. I do recomend the game, its no portal but if you want a nice chill puzzle game its fairly novel and wont outstay its welcome.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

ecavalli posted:

I know it's apples and pears (not to mention a wad of cash) but my DualSense has worked perfectly fine.

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

ecavalli posted:

I use this same setup and I've never had any problems. Like you said, there might be interference in your setup. I'm not sure how to find the interference though

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

TraderStav posted:

I put my euro adapter on my plug and it held in perfectly where the US kept falling out.

That’s cheating

Kefa
Jul 14, 2023

ecavalli posted:

I don’t have issues with my dual sense but I did have lots of BT connectivity issues with my ds4 on PC even though everyone online was saying how fast and reliable it was. I assume there was some kind of interference in my room which could be what’s happening in your case as well.

ecavalli
Nov 18, 2012

I really appreciate all the input on my DualShock 4 issue. Happily, it was interference from my router, which was all of three feet away from the dock. I moved the router a few more feet away and the controller now works like a charm!

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
Got 7 hours of power washing done on the flight. That was some deep decking.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
Looks like Steam Input got a bunch of bug fixes recently. Exporting profiles no longer crashes Steam regularly. It's also possible to delete old profiles again. However, the two big ones I noticed today is that:

Steam now lets you export profiles for non-Steam games. I don't know, maybe they only let you do it for personal ones, but it's great being able to test a new Steam Input profile and switch back to an old one if you don't like it.

Steam now supports globally remapping controller buttons (Settings, Controller, Test Device Inputs (Begin Test), Setup Device Inputs). This is great because my 8BitDo M30 doesn't map bumpers/triggers properly in xinput mode and instead of having to setup a M30-specific profile for all my 2D games I can just change it globally and use my existing gamepad configurations for it.

ExcessBLarg! fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Jul 26, 2023

ecavalli
Nov 18, 2012

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Steam now supports globally remapping controller buttons (Settings, Controller, Test Device Inputs (Begin Test), Setup Device Inputs). This is great because my 8BitDo M30 doesn't map bumpers/triggers properly in xinput mode and instead of having to setup a M30-specific profile for all my 2D games I can just change it globally and use my existing gamepad configurations for it.

Hell yes! Thanks Papa Gabe!

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

loving A now maybe I'll use my M30 more.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Steam now supports globally remapping controller buttons (Settings, Controller, Test Device Inputs (Begin Test), Setup Device Inputs).
Bah, it seems these don't survive a reboot.

Oh well, it's not to bad to run through the controller setup when I want to use it. Also since I use my Pro 2 in xinput mode too I have to reset it occasionally anyways.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

hadji murad posted:

Got 7 hours of power washing done on the flight. That was some deep decking.

The world thanks you.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Just played some Against the Storm on SD. The community profile worked slightly better than the default. However, once I started it I was kind of immediately repulsed by the UI. After sticking with it for like, maybe 10 minutes, which meant getting used to pausing and using the magnified if I needed, I barely noticed. The worst thing is the slight movement on the trackpad when I click. I’m sure that’s just a practice thing though. I don’t want to trigger-click, feels bad!

uiruki
Aug 6, 2003
blah blah blah
Have you tried setting mouse click to the bumpers? I’ve got mine set to use them in desktop mode and while it’s not ideal I think it does feel better than the trigger or a trackpad press. Using the opposite hand to the trackpad helps for me, too.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
is there a way to trigger a radial menu that involves a key press other than the stick/touchpad?

im trying to set up the Perfect traditional roguelike controller input scheme here where i use a radial menu for the 8-directional movement, mapped from the numpad like so:

however, inputs in trad roguelikes are very important since they spend your entire turn so it's very important that there are no misclicks or faulty inputs, so doing something like "release stick/pad to input" is out of the picture. pressing the stick/pad feels completely awful also since it's so awkward to do

so what i want is to just use the stick/pad to select an input on the radial menu and then use a second button (face button, trigger, back button, whatever) to actually activate the radial menu selection. is this possible please tell me this is possible i beg it would solve all my problems

e: for those who know this is basically just trying to emulate how Tangledeep did controller inputs and i think it's an absolutely genius way to do trad roguelike movement on a controller. i just need this one thing!

all i've been able to find on google is this one post from 9 months ago trying to do the exact same thing but with no solution. i've already tried what the one reply here suggests and set one of the buttons to do a stick press but that does not affect the radial menu/internals at all only the game input
https://www.reddit.com/r/SteamDeck/comments/yl8dzv/confirmselect_radial_menu_items_with_a_button/

Your Computer fucked around with this message at 10:31 on Jul 27, 2023

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Your Computer posted:

is there a way to trigger a radial menu that involves a key press other than the stick/touchpad?

im trying to set up the Perfect traditional roguelike controller input scheme here where i use a radial menu for the 8-directional movement, mapped from the numpad like so:

however, inputs in trad roguelikes are very important since they spend your entire turn so it's very important that there are no misclicks or faulty inputs, so doing something like "release stick/pad to input" is out of the picture. pressing the stick/pad feels completely awful also since it's so awkward to do

so what i want is to just use the stick/pad to select an input on the radial menu and then use a second button (face button, trigger, back button, whatever) to actually activate the radial menu selection. is this possible please tell me this is possible i beg it would solve all my problems

e: for those who know this is basically just trying to emulate how Tangledeep did controller inputs and i think it's an absolutely genius way to do trad roguelike movement on a controller. i just need this one thing!

all i've been able to find on google is this one post from 9 months ago trying to do the exact same thing but with no solution. i've already tried what the one reply here suggests and set one of the buttons to do a stick press but that does not affect the radial menu/internals at all only the game input
https://www.reddit.com/r/SteamDeck/comments/yl8dzv/confirmselect_radial_menu_items_with_a_button/

Not quite what you're looking for, but you can have the action activate only if a chosen button (Steam calls this a chord button) is being held when the radial menu activator is released.

When you create a Radial Virtual Menu, set the activator to Button Chord (by default it's Regular Press), and in the Settings choose whatever you want your chord button to be. This isn't what you asked for, but it might be a good enough compromise.

The Radial Menu type should be set to Touch Release, but it seems to also work with Click (sometimes???).

Here's a demonstration. I'm using the left stick to bring up the menu. The A button activates movement, if it's being held when the stick is released. Nothing happens if it's not.

https://i.imgur.com/nU0FVc8.mp4

I didn't test this much, so it's possible I'm not thinking of something that'll break it.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Rinkles posted:

Not quite what you're looking for, but you can have the action activate only if a chosen button (Steam calls this a chord button) is being held when the radial menu activator is released.

When you create a Radial Virtual Menu, set the activator to Button Chord (by default it's Regular Press), and in the Settings choose whatever you want your chord button to be. This isn't what you asked for, but it might be a good enough compromise.

The Radial Menu type should be set to Touch Release, but it seems to also work with Click (sometimes???).

Here's a demonstration. I'm using the left stick to bring up the menu. The A button activates movement, if it's being held when the stick is released. Nothing happens if it's not.

https://i.imgur.com/nU0FVc8.mp4

I didn't test this much, so it's possible I'm not thinking of something that'll break it.
i've kept looking and this is by far the closest to a solution i've been so i'm gonna try it out and i'll report back! it's less satisfying than the proper solution but from everything i can tell it's simply not possible to do it like that :negative:

just for posterity i also got a gif of how tangledeep does its movement - the left stick selects a direction but doesn't move the player. pressing the A button moves you to the tile you're pointing to and you can keep holding a direction and A to keep going in that direction (or change direction while holding down A for that matter). it's quite wonderful and by far the best solution i've seen to oldschool 8-directional movement on a controller, but it's not something you can add to an existing game without a really sophisticated input mapper (which i was hoping steam deck had)

https://i.imgur.com/6yhQ27V.mp4

e: touch release is behaving completely buggy and will just stop working or keep repeating inputs forever so this doesn't work either :negative:

Your Computer fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Jul 27, 2023

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Vampire Survivors is coming out on the Switch and it's $60.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Heran Bago posted:

Vampire Survivors is coming out on the Switch and it's $6.00.

Ftfy (at least here in :canada:)

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Heran Bago posted:

Worth it.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

That’s a steal. Switch stays winning.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Heran Bago posted:

worth it

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Vampire Survivors made my deck crawl around the 25 minute mark. Did that ever get fixed?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

always worked for me

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Quantum of Phallus posted:

always worked for me

Yeah but you were always wrong so :shrug:

It definitely used to get sub 20fps but I’m not sure when they switched to the new engine it fixed it or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

I played earlier this week and it started to drop frames fairly early on but then it sorted itself out. I didnt stick it out through the endgame though.