Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
It took me a minute to realize the lead hijacker is Arby from Utopia

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Man, Apple sure is pushing Messi and MLS excessively. The main slot on the Movies tab is pushing MLS!

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Yeah I'm sick of the notification spam that's going now to try and push MLS because they signed another big money player. Got big flashbacks to David Beckham going over there in the twilight of his career.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Haptical Sales Slut posted:

Oh drat new Hijack dropped. I thought these came out on Thursday?
It comes out on Wednesdays technically, but I've been watching most Apple TV shows at 9PM eastern the day before. For example, Crowded Room will be up at 9PM tonight even though it says tomorrow.

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem

isaboo posted:

It took me a minute to realize the lead hijacker is Arby from Utopia

Its funny how competent Arby is compared to the character he plays on Hijack

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

smackfu posted:

Man, Apple sure is pushing Messi and MLS excessively. The main slot on the Movies tab is pushing MLS!

I miss the watch now menu showing giant pictures of things from your watch list instead of apple + ads. Easily the worst Apple TV change this year or ever.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

hijack is the stupidest show on tv right now and i cannot stop looking away

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

One of my favorite trope terms is The Idiot Ball. https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/IdiotBall

In Hijack, EVERYONE is holding it.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Finished for all mankind season 2. It had the most cringe scene on tv I’ve ever seen, and then the next episode topped it by taking the scene and turning it up to 11. If you’ve seen the show I’m sure you know what I’m talking about.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Boris Galerkin posted:

Finished for all mankind season 2. It had the most cringe scene on tv I’ve ever seen, and then the next episode topped it by taking the scene and turning it up to 11. If you’ve seen the show I’m sure you know what I’m talking about.

There’s so many… please be more specific

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

blue squares posted:

There’s so many… please be more specific

mommy issues

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

For All Mankind gets worse every season but I'll still keep watching anyway. Just a real waste of potential after season 1 though. Think they were too scared to fully commit to the timeskips and it's why we'll eventually end up with 150 year old cyborg Ed as the main character still leading space missions.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I’m a sucker for the alt universe cold war space race poo poo. The show is terrible but it still pushes a bunch of buttons in my lizard brain. I think they’ll lose me completely once it moves past the space race.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
Season 3 had some truly awful subplots but I thought overall it stuck the landing, so to speak.

Panic! At The Tesco posted:

we'll eventually end up with 150 year old cyborg Ed as the main character still leading space missions.

don't threaten me with a good time

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

OK, the Wes Anderson imitation on last week’s episode of The Afterparty was pretty spot-on

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Wife picked up AppleTV on some special deal thing. Binged a bunch.

For All Mankind - Awesome. Thumbs up. Kinda agree that I wish they'd slowed it down a bit instead of time jumping.
Silo - Awesome. I didn't think I'd like something like this because I'm not one for post-apocalyptic survival type shows, but I thoroughly enjoyed it. No zombies! Yay!
Invasion - I really liked this until the final episodes and I can't finish the last one. I have 30 minutes left and I just can't do it. It poo poo the bed entirely for me.

Next up Foundation. I read the first book and it was OK, but I don't hold it up on a pedestal like a lot of sci-fi gurus seem to do.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
Watch Slow Horses too

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I agree on Slow Horses, very good. Foundation, very bad.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I am once again going to recommend The Last Days of Ptolemy Grey, it's the best work of Samuel L. Jackson's career.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Cojawfee posted:

I agree on Slow Horses, very good. Foundation, very bad.

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019
For All Mankind and Foundation both suffer from trying to cram the same characters into long timelines.

Which would be tolerable if it were super interesting characters but neither Ed or the obnoxious space wizard are.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Jared Harris and Lee Pace are great, but you can’t tell the story of large groups of people over thousands of years, when you have to stop every five minutes and go back to your two big stars.

The story from the book is barely recognizable because the giant budget constantly demands that the story is put on pause so that the audience sees the two star actors.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Lee Pace hasn't played the same character two seasons in a row though.

Oasx posted:

I am once again going to recommend The Last Days of Ptolemy Grey, it's the best work of Samuel L. Jackson's career.

Yeah, it's really good.

Feb 28, 2007

1️⃣
Just another number.

Stairmaster posted:

hijack is the stupidest show on tv right now and i cannot stop looking away

Absolutely incredible how it managed to get dumber and dumber with each episode. This is one of the worst scripts that have ever been filmed, and I wholeheartedly recommend that everyone watch it.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Hijack is hilarious, it's like they couldn't commit to one plot or twist so they just did all of them.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Physical is back! and it has blonde Zooey D which continues to break my brain (I only saw Elf for the first time in 2021)

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
At least something happens in this last episode of Hijack. When they finally crash landed the plane. I was fully expecting some more dumb poo poo to happen where the plane somehow takes off again and gets re-hijacked. I guess I wasn't to far off the mark. Also, another incredulous moment where the police just let Sam walk off the plane as if they know 100% he's one of the good guys.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Escobarbarian posted:

Physical is back! and it has blonde Zooey D which continues to break my brain (I only saw Elf for the first time in 2021)

Physical is rough at first but man do I identify with her negative self talk. Gonna keep watching.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

I’m sure Invasion has been covered on this thread but not in the first or last pages so I’m asking here: any good or is it as generic as it looks?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Its boring as gently caress.

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

lol the ending to hijack. such rear end

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

I’m sure Invasion has been covered on this thread but not in the first or last pages so I’m asking here: any good or is it as generic as it looks?

I quit a few episodes in the first time around because it was extremely boring but I had a dearth of stuff to watch and went back to it and it picks up quite a bit and gets better after episode 5 or so. I am looking forward to the 2nd season because it looks to be a lot more alien action. You could honestly probably just read the synopsis for the first few episodes and start watching later because almost nothing important happens.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Cojawfee posted:

At least something happens in this last episode of Hijack. When they finally crash landed the plane. I was fully expecting some more dumb poo poo to happen where the plane somehow takes off again and gets re-hijacked. I guess I wasn't to far off the mark. Also, another incredulous moment where the police just let Sam walk off the plane as if they know 100% he's one of the good guys.

Yeah I was pleasantly surprised overall, mostly cause the landing/crash was very good looking. It’s insane how stupid they believe the audience is, I mean why would you want to see a stock price go down??

Pretty big letdown with how they handled the bad baldy guy in charge. actually none of this matters just forget about it

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

It's called buying the dip. You buy while it's at a sharp decline assuming it's only temporary and that it will eventually bounce back, like what would most likely happen here.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Or putting a short on it

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
I haven't watched the show yet but now I'm confused. Do they hijack a plane, or do they hijack the stock market?

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
Sorry. I meant to convey I knew what it meant and was insulted they assumed I didn’t.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Hijack’s finale... Oh man.

1. They have a real pilot onboard — a first officer with hundreds if not thousands of experience flying the plane! It’s insane that they decided to ditch and she wasn’t in the cockpit.

2. That plane was catching fire on impact and its tail collided with the ground. The passengers near the engines and at the tail should be dead.

3. Where did the stairs come from? Their plane crashed; they should be using emergency exits.

4. Lol that the special forces weren’t immediately sweeping the plane after it landed.

5. How was Amanda not considered one of the hijackers? Why wouldn’t she be detained with the rest of the baddies?

6. No government would knowingly let a hijacker-controlled plane fly into central London. And the PM would decide, sure as poo poo not the foreign secretary.

7. Why did the cleaning crew evacuate the apartment? Why didn’t they put up more resistance? Why would they bring a handcuffed hostage with them?

8. What was the point of showing disagreement among the two released prisoners? It was such an unnecessary bit of plot. It would have been much better if we knew nothing about what was going on there.

Genuinely impressed by how the show became incrementally dumber each episode.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Vegetable posted:

Hijack’s finale... Oh man.

1. They have a real pilot onboard — a first officer with hundreds if not thousands of experience flying the plane! It’s insane that they decided to ditch and she wasn’t in the cockpit.

2. That plane was catching fire on impact and its tail collided with the ground. The passengers near the engines and at the tail should be dead.

3. Where did the stairs come from? Their plane crashed; they should be using emergency exits.

4. Lol that the special forces weren’t immediately sweeping the plane after it landed.

5. How was Amanda not considered one of the hijackers? Why wouldn’t she be detained with the rest of the baddies?

6. No government would knowingly let a hijacker-controlled plane fly into central London. And the PM would decide, sure as poo poo not the foreign secretary.

7. Why did the cleaning crew evacuate the apartment? Why didn’t they put up more resistance? Why would they bring a handcuffed hostage with them?

8. What was the point of showing disagreement among the two released prisoners? It was such an unnecessary bit of plot. It would have been much better if we knew nothing about what was going on there.

Genuinely impressed by how the show became incrementally dumber each episode.

#3 - They show the stairs being rolled up by the emergency crew
#7 - They had no idea the cop was on to them because of how cool the cop was playing it. They would have had to ice multiple police had they engaged. It did seem like the second cleaner was gonna walk out with the hostage in plain view, which made absolutely no sense.

It was funny how the swat team didn't immediately just arrest everyone, they go out of their way to show only the baddies being arrested. This show is so insulting on so many levels. Without Idris it's nothing. Still enjoyed it, though :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
#3 They rolled the stairs up, and needed a way for people to go into the plane. Can't really storm the plane by running up the escape slide
#5 The foreign secretary promised that Amanda wouldn't be charged with anything
#8 I'm guessing they needed the disagreement so they could make it so Amanda was never answered so she would be against just landing the plane