Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Guavanaut posted:

And there never really was a time when we did rugged individualist food prep like Jamie Oliver pretends.

I think this very much depends on individual circumstances, the first ten years of my life were spend pretty much only eating home cooked meals or school dinners, I had my first microwave dinner after my parents got divorced and my first taste of angel delight was at university.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Testro posted:

Do as little as you can for as long as possible.

I still have Long Covid a year on; it absolutely hosed me - I was so ill, I just didn't recover.

But the constant refrain from other Long Covid sufferers who did recover and then relapsed, is that they thought they'd recovered and they exerted a little too much, and bang, they developed Long Covid.

So try and take it as easy as possible for as long as possible. All the best to you, mate.

Yeah agree with this, my experience was exactly that 3rd line and it's still loving me up nearly 2 years later.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Oh dear me posted:

Seriously? Dumplings are lovely, and the easiest thing to make.

I'm not sure if you strictly need the gluten to bind them either, might be possible to make them gluten free if you wanted to?

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
SOSIDGE ROAL W/ SIED OF SUPARNOODAL AND SHERBIT DIP FOAR PUD :manning:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Scientastic posted:

I think this very much depends on individual circumstances
Sure, it's definitely possible, but the idea that parents these days are only able to eat cheese chip and watch LED comes more from gammons reading Jamie Oliver confusing 60s adverts selling Kenwood mixers to aspirational housewives for reality. The average boomer ate a lot more from cans and powders and acts like that's different to a microwave.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Oh dear me posted:

Seriously? Dumplings are lovely, and the easiest thing to make.

I've never been more serious in my life

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I could never eat Huel. Not because of its taste, but it sounds like huey. Naming your food so that it sounds like a slang term for throwing up.

My new milkshake range called Projectile Bomit.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
What if it was named to imply that vomiting was forbidden, like Boke Haram.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Tesseraction posted:

I could never eat Huel. Not because of its taste, but it sounds like huey. Naming your food so that it sounds like a slang term for throwing up.

It always makes me think of that guy from better call saul.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Jippa posted:

Frankie Munez?

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

OwlFancier posted:

You could probably put like, some avocado and herbs in there if you want to. It's just slop with shredded fat in it.

I can't get a hold of real suet where I live without basically rendering it myself and I don't believe I get all real suet either when I have done so.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Jippa posted:

That guy is great but my god, he is built like a mountain in shape and size

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Tesseraction posted:

It looks like it's already been eaten as well. There's a reason why virtually every image advertising the muck only shows the packets.

The name is meant to be short for "human fuel". To which the initial response was "more like hipster gruel".

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

His Divine Shadow posted:

I can't get a hold of real suet where I live without basically rendering it myself and I don't believe I get all real suet either when I have done so.

Atora brand is basically standard in the UK, comes dried in boxes. I dunno if you could find somewhere to ship you a pile of them?

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
My nan always overboiled vegetables so that they had a very unpleasant mushy texture when you ate them. I always wondered if that was why a lot of my peers had a strong dislike of vegetables in general.

Boiled veg is fine, you dont need to be jamie oliver to have a little veg with your tea. Like a whole plate of unseasoned boiled potatoes is a grim prospect but all things in moderation sometimes its good to eat a little potato that hasn't been baked or fried in oil.

Jedit posted:

It looks like it's already been eaten as well. There's a reason why virtually every image advertising the muck only shows the packets.

The name is meant to be short for "human fuel". To which the initial response was "more like hipster gruel".
I cant remember if it was huel or soylent or any number of other tech bro food replacements inexplicably marketed like theres a dark secret behind their factory's proximity to a euthanasia clinic, but i do remember a lot of reviews comparing the slop to cum.

Mr Phillby fucked around with this message at 12:44 on Jul 27, 2023

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
^^^^
A well salted boiled potato, preferrably mealy, is damned good food. Just add butter and it's heavenly. But man you gotta salt the cook water a lot, most people simply don't dare add that much. I can recommend this sauce for potatoes: chives, some of the pot water, lots and lots of butter, black pepper. Cook it up, makes for a quite runny sauce so mealy taters work best.

OwlFancier posted:

Atora brand is basically standard in the UK, comes dried in boxes. I dunno if you could find somewhere to ship you a pile of them?

Maybe there's a UK webstore for finns and expats in finland, haven't looked that closely tho. I usually made like 5kg of beef tallow at a time, then I used it with frying oil, for making french fries taste better. It's a wonder I am not spherical already.

His Divine Shadow fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Jul 27, 2023

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Potato salad is lovely imo.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

His Divine Shadow posted:

Maybe there's a UK webstore for finns and expats in finland, haven't looked that closely tho. I usually made like 5kg of beef tallow at a time, then I used it with frying oil, for making french fries taste better. It's a wonder I am not spherical already.

Apparently Finns have to use Amazon US or UK to use Amazon at all? Well either way you can buy it from Amazon https://www.amazon.co.uk/Atora-Shredded-Beef-Suet-200g/dp/B017IQ8QFE

Gambrinus
Mar 1, 2005

Guavanaut posted:

What if it was named to imply that vomiting was forbidden, like Boke Haram.

Superb stuff here.

Gambrinus
Mar 1, 2005

thebardyspoon posted:

Yeah agree with this, my experience was exactly that 3rd line and it's still loving me up nearly 2 years later.

I think I feel worse than last time almost three years ago, although not sure how much of that is to do with the fact I don't get the best part of two weeks off work, no questions asked. I'm supposed to have a job interview next week, hope I can make that but the preparation is going to take a hit.

The scaffolders outside banging and drilling away aren't helping either

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

lol

https://twitter.com/SadiqKhan/status/1684516673649364992

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

That's just a single, incredibly long hair wound around and around

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

a human hair beret

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

Well, at least they caught him. He'll be forced toupee

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Wolfechu posted:

I see what you did there.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

I prefer the original:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FvNdhriwGuM

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

Tesseraction posted:

Frankie Munez?

Absolutely underrated joke. Malcolm’s not in the middle! Malcolm’s on top now!

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Wolfechu posted:

Just Say No to Rugs

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Tesseraction posted:

Frankie Munez?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I was just trying to start off another round of deliberately getting the show/name wrong. Huey -> Malcom in the Middle -> Malcom -> Frankie Munez.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
Ah I thought this was a deep cut Always Sunny reference, there’s an ep featuring Aaron Paul and Bryan Cranston and the gang assumes Aaron Paul is Malcolm and he’s grown up to look weird.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

I think she has taken the mantle as "supreme oval office of the labour party" and it just swings back and forth between her and blockface
https://twitter.com/BeckettUnite/status/1681575730512121860

If you cant see all the wasteful spending to y'know, support constituents, then you should loving put your useless loving head down the garbage disposal.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Testro posted:

Do as little as you can for as long as possible.

I still have Long Covid a year on; it absolutely hosed me - I was so ill, I just didn't recover.

But the constant refrain from other Long Covid sufferers who did recover and then relapsed, is that they thought they'd recovered and they exerted a little too much, and bang, they developed Long Covid.

So try and take it as easy as possible for as long as possible. All the best to you, mate.

Yeah I'm pretty sure I had covid in Christmas 2021. It was right as numbers were high and *everybody* was getting it. I had some physio appointments because I was in a lot of pain, and though everybody was masked, myself included, I got sick, and me and my wife were sick for about a week with a flu-like bug which honestly wasn't all that bad. We had like 1-2 days where we were knocked on our arses with fatigue and fever/chills. It was right after they changed testing to be for medical staff only here in Canada, and there was a shortage of self-tests, so I couldn't get tested and get a confirmation that it was covid...

Fast forward to May this year. I had very minor surgery - wisdom tooth removal, under "twilight anaesthesia" - which is where you aren't conscious and don't remember anything, but you're also not fully unconscious like a full general anaesthesia. Since that surgery, I've been having really bad brain fog. Immediately following the surgery and for about 6 weeks afterwards it was bad enough that on some days I would try to work, and after ~45 mins my vision would go blurry, I'd feel dizzy and sick and would have to stop, and then I'd also feel awful for the rest of the day.

It's gotten better, but it's still not great. I'm still only working an average of 4-5 hours/day and it's affected my concentration even if I don't feel foggy.

Apparently, long covid can increase the risk of developing psychosis, dementia, brain fog and seizures for "up to two years" after covid infection:

https://www.statnews.com/2022/08/17/risk-of-brain-fog-and-other-conditions-persists-up-to-two-years-after-covid-infection/

But also, obviously we only have a few years of data.

Obviously it's impossible to say what the root cause is, whether it's covid... but I've been under general anaesthesia twice before and never had any problems, until after I had covid, and now my brain is hosed. Hopefully it continues to get better over time.

WhatEvil fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Jul 27, 2023

Deathslinger
Jul 12, 2022

Tesseraction posted:

I always assumed it was called Huel because that’s the kind of noise you make over a toilet bowl after eating the stuff

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear

Diet Crack posted:

I think she has taken the mantle as "supreme oval office of the labour party" and it just swings back and forth between her and blockface

If you cant see all the wasteful spending to y'know, support constituents, then you should loving put your useless loving head down the garbage disposal.

fuuuuck these cunts

Oct 4, 2005

Doing the right thing is haaaaaaaaaard, can't we just say we would do the right thing if we could be bothered?

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Diet Crack posted:

"I just cant see where the money needed for my peerage, after dinner speeches, and gravy train board positions are going to come from if they are to be spent on school dinners.
Have they tried giving their local politician unlimited loans?"

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish
"We don't know how to solve the country's problems. Anyway, vote for us. Please? Its our turn"

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
these piss takers are now to the right of cameron's tories and that's what our Rach "tougher than the tories" has always wanted

they're just rubbing our faces in it now. this country is lost for a nationwide force of the left to wipe these ghouls clean out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The suggestion is the united kingdom literally cannot afford to feed its children.

Which is possibly the most idiotic statement I have heard in my life.