Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Mile'ionaha posted:

Also I can't help but read it as hawk-like *SCREEEE*.

But yes, it's pretty amazing.

Yup. Sprint a huge distance, unload an assload of LBX5 rounds into the back of a mech, run away again because you need a new target.

The only times I've had problems is if I get lazy about making sure it is always running. If the evasion gets too low, opfor can gently caress it up quick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TentPegg
Sep 22, 2012

I have booted up BTA and started a new run. Am I meant to have any Battle Armour as being the highest threat on any level, capable of melting any of my mechs in a single round? Why can't I stomp these little ants into the floor? I am in a stompy robot...let me stomp!
Do I need to bring an anti ant mech with me?

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

BA’s dangerous because if it swarms you it’ll put all its guns into the same location and does pretty good damage. They’re slow and short ranged though, keep your distance and it can’t do much.

Also flamers are good in general and do lots of damage to BA

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

ro5s posted:

BA’s dangerous because if it swarms you it’ll put all its guns into the same location and does pretty good damage. They’re slow and short ranged though, keep your distance and it can’t do much.

Also flamers are good in general and do lots of damage to BA

The ai has no problem suiciding a fire moth into your rear end to lol you with elementals or whatever

Anti-ba weapons help, area denial (flamers/inferno/fascam) helps, and the best thing i had for shutting down ba was aiv-infernos

TentPegg
Sep 22, 2012

Thanks for the advice. It is absolutely the suicide light mech that drops a world of hurt on me that I have been struggling with.
Guess I will have to up the flamer count and get a BBQ on the go!

Senethro
May 18, 2005

I unironically think I'm Garret, Master Thief.
There are also a few weapons that directly damage structure. I'm wanting to say SRM TDM ammunition, but it could be another type. I've not actually tested it but that should work against 5 structure/80armor BAs.

Or if you're into overkill and rare parts then Sanctuary Lance weapons could work.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Senethro posted:

There are also a few weapons that directly damage structure. I'm wanting to say SRM TDM ammunition, but it could be another type. I've not actually tested it but that should work against 5 structure/80armor BAs.

Or if you're into overkill and rare parts then Sanctuary Lance weapons could work.

Yep those will work well, certain other ba have penetrating weapons. Plasma rifles massacre ba also

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
Sanctuary Large Lances are fantastic. They're the BTA equivalent of the 3025 Medium Laser. Boat them

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
Kamea says she wants Weldry liberated but if I can’t land my 8 mechs and 4 LRM20 launchers on wheels can we say she really wants Weldry liberated?

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

I want to like BTA but all the custom weapons are messing with the tabletop purist in me. How is BTX these days?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Bloody Pom posted:

I want to like BTA but all the custom weapons are messing with the tabletop purist in me. How is BTX these days?

I played it for a bit but it was so close to vanilla I got bored. Been having way more fun playing the bot campaign in megamek for that tabletop experience. I'll leave the video game for roguetech and its 150 ton lams

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

Bloody Pom posted:

you do know you can disable the community content right? https://www.bta3062.com/index.php?title=Community_Content

https://www.bta3062.com/index.php?title=Installation_Guide

step 8 in the installation instructions

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
Smart's Law: Every mega-mod attempts to expand until it is BattleCruiser 3000. Those mods which do not so expand are replaced by mods that do.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
Even if you accidentally leave it in it's only relevant to a small part of the map so you can just not go there.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

https://mw5mercs.com/dlc/the-dragons-gambit

Another expansion for MW5 announced, post fourth secession war

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President
A Kuritan campaign set immediately after the “Death to mercenaries” edict? Bold choice.

Warad
Aug 10, 2019

Well you are supposedly going to be palling around with Theodore and the 5th Amphigeans (who are totally NOT mercenaries) so that's probably the excuse PGI is rolling with so they can actually have a Drac focused DLC in their Merc game. (and I wouldn't be surprised there's a mission where some ultra-loyal Kuritan unit causes a fuss about it)

But who cares; Longbow's coming :woop:

Warad fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Jul 26, 2023

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

I'm glad someone's excited about the Longbow. I've always hated that dumb thing.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

Floppychop posted:

I'm glad someone's excited about the Longbow. I've always hated that dumb thing.

Longbow-7V is nice.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

Floppychop posted:

could be worse, could be a yeoman

Warad
Aug 10, 2019

Floppychop posted:

I know it's just a bad Catapult but I can't help but love the dumb looking thing.

Literally an 8-year old's drawing of "Big Robot that Shoots Missiles."

Edit:

biosterous posted:

could be worse, could be a yeoman

though i'll admit that the yeoman is way more radical in that regard

Warad fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Jul 26, 2023

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010
Can't wait to load up my longbow with srms.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
lol the "oh, we forgot a Macross design" Mech

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

I think the Aaron Harris version of the Longbow looks fine, honestly v:shobon:v

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

PhotoKirk posted:

Longbow-7V is nice.

The 7V is the only Longbow variant in the Clan/Civil War era that manages to not be a worse Archer that is 15 tons heavier for some reason.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
If you don’t love the Longbow and its dumb trashcan missile arms you are bereft of joy.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

If I want to love a missile boat specifically because it looks incredibly stupid, why would I settle for second best when the Yeoman is right there???

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

the yeoman is a boombox with legs, in more ways than one

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
I love all stupid missile boats equally. My heart is large, high tonnage, and full of SRMs.

mmmm
Jul 26, 2010

hey
you're one of them fancy lads, ain't ya?
So I've started playing skirmishes and first couple of missions in vanilla -- fun stuff! lovin it -- but I don't necessarily have a problem jumping ship to a mod, since time is scarce. Maybe play the campaign in a lighter mod, BEX or even just Vanilla+, and then see how I feel about trying one of the two big boys for some career fun.

My question for the council is: What's my best option for running a Crab Crewe? I always sucked at TT and uhh they'd let me run this lance that was like a King Crab and his little Crab buddies. If I'm chasing that dragon, what's my best option? Maybe in RT I could get ahold of the sick Comstar versions and throw them up against what-have-you. Anyway, could use a grog's advice on this, this game looks so huge.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

You can run that exact setup if you want

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

RBA Starblade posted:

https://mw5mercs.com/dlc/the-dragons-gambit

Another expansion for MW5 announced, post fourth secession war

What's the state of MW5 these days? I haven't paid much attention since the poor impression it made at release, and MWO suffices for my occasional first-person-robot cravings. Has the AI been improved (by patches or mods) to a point that is fun?

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

NihilCredo posted:

What's the state of MW5 these days? I haven't paid much attention since the poor impression it made at release, and MWO suffices for my occasional first-person-robot cravings. Has the AI been improved (by patches or mods) to a point that is fun?

It's...fine? It's an okay stompy mech shooty game. The AI is still loving atrocious and I wouldn't play it unmodded, but it's alright if you get it on discount, especially if you have a couple friends to play with.

It's still not remotely as good as MW4 Mercs, which is a tragedy given that game's age and the huge hurdle to finding a working copy and running it on modern systems without jumping through a million hoops.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

NihilCredo posted:

With all the mods I had a pretty good time doing a merc career, ignoring the original campaign. I didn't have a big problem with my AI lancemates losing weapons right and left like seemed to be the case in vanilla. It definitely does need the mods though.

I do really miss the more hand crafted missions that the MW4 series had, but the DLC campaigns are ok enough.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

NihilCredo posted:

What's the state of MW5 these days?

Armored Core 6 is looking real good!

*dodges hail of tomatoes*

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
AC6 is going to absolutely body PGI, for better or worse. Nobody in their right mind with only $60 to spend is getting excited over 15 handcrafted missions stapled onto Conway's Game of Life with tanks.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
AC6 is not even the same genre of game

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
On your own its ok. The allied AI is probably the weakest part of the game and you can always feel it.

With friends its a good game. The game, with mods, can provide some really tense battles where everything goes to hell and you're all desperately fighting your own battles, trying to give support to your friends any chance you get.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President
There is an allied AI mod. From what I’ve heard there is some controversy over whether or not it actually does anything, or at least anything useful; from my own experience, all I can say is that after installing it my lancemates were extremely gung-ho about using jump jets at every opportunity. That one mission where you can assault a fortress on top of an icy plateau from the front or go the long way around was resolved almost instantly by my partial-wing lance mate soaring across the top of the plateau and headshotting the boss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Azhais posted:

AC6 is not even the same genre of game

When did battletech get away from giant robot mercenaries?