Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
I believe a “kiss the rings” is in order

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry
https://twitter.com/JeffFletcherOCR/status/1684578268362809344?s=20

Joyce's nerve/numbness thing in his hand is scary. Walsh getting DFA'd sucks, I wonder if he is still suffering from whatever weird neuro problems he had all spring. Lopez will be added to the roster for game 2 of the doubleheader today.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

mdemone posted:

You know what? I'd rather Ohtani leave of his own volition as a free agent, than to have traded him like a bunch of loving morons.

This is now satisfactory to me. If he must leave, then I must let him go.

KEEP CRACKING THAT CHECKBOOK ARTE YOU DUMB SON OF A BITCH

If he walks in free agency it's a complete disaster. They could've rebuilt the franchise with the haul they could've traded him for.

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Well Played Mauer posted:

I believe a “kiss the rings” is in order

Is there a good gif of that? There has to be

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Perfect Angels is to pull Ohtani off the market, make the big trade for Lucas and then immediately lose both games to the Tigers today

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Has anyone stormed the mound this season?

Hell, or last season?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Its good to come back and remember why I hate being here. Thanks, crew. Stay cool. Enjoy baseball.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

mcmagic posted:

If he walks in free agency it's a complete disaster. They could've rebuilt the franchise with the haul they could've traded him for.

Well I guess there's no choice now but to pay the man a ridiculous amount of money

Oh well

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

STAC Goat posted:

Its good to come back and remember why I hate being here. Thanks, crew. Stay cool. Enjoy baseball.

Don't be like this

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

mdemone posted:

Well I guess there's no choice now but to pay the man a ridiculous amount of money

Oh well

I don't think it's a money issue tbh. He's going to get 50MM no matter where he signs. He might just want to win and not think he can win if he stays with the Angels.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

mcmagic posted:

I don't think it's a money issue tbh. He's going to get 50MM no matter where he signs. He might just want to win and not think he can win if he stays with the Angels.

I’d be shocked if he gets less than $60 million AAV

Milovan Drecun
Apr 17, 2007
I masturbate in traffic.

rickiep00h posted:

Dobnak was Game 2, he was hot at the time, and there were 2 other games where the Twins were absolutely slaughtered. He didn't do any worse than Berríos or Odorizzi, the de facto aces for the year.

The entire pitching corps crumbled, not just Dobnak, who... didn't, really.

Iirc Odo and Berrios did better than Dobnak in their starts, but I agree with your overall premise regardless. Like Paracaidas said, it ultimately didn't matter. It wasn't the Twins being too cute, there is some sense in trying to line your better starter up at home. It's hardly what cost them, and it's not emblematic of any greater flaw in the way the team is/was run.

The valid complaint imo is to take umbrage with the roster construction that necessitated starting Dobnak at all, but there were other very relevant factors like Pineda getting suspended in September and up and down performances from Kyle Gibson/Martín Pérez.

Also would the Joe Mauer robbery even be reviewable today with the ump staring right at it?

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

mcmagic posted:

If that's how it happens, then I can accept it. He's got a pretty nice situation going in terms of how the club handles him, I'm hoping that's worth something to him

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

mdemone posted:

If that's how it happens, then I can accept it. He's got a pretty nice situation going in terms of how the club handles him, I'm hoping that's worth something to him

If you're an angels fan that trade haul would've literally been your hope for the future of the franchise because if he leaves it's going to be pretty loving bleak.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

R.D. Mangles posted:

Had to share this from the broadcasting thread:

Votto loving owns

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Explosionface posted:

Votto loving owns

A take we can all agree on.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

mcmagic posted:

If you're an angels fan that trade haul would've literally been your hope for the future of the franchise because if he leaves it's going to be pretty loving bleak.

The roster & farm system is better than you probably think, and the trade haul would have been nowhere near return value. I was ready to abandon the franchise if they'd traded him because that's the kind of poo poo that curses you for a hundred years

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

STAC Goat posted:

this is a silly reaction to some incredibly level headed responses to why everyone hates the yankees

people even went out of their way to note that they don't hate (most of) the fans and the posters here are cool

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
going on record yet again with my opinion that mcmagic is the best yankees poster here

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
I don’t envy the Angels’ situation. You have reincarnated Ruth and Mantle but still somehow aren’t even close to being a real contender.

I wonder if this buying thing is some sort of prove it demand from Ohtani. Otherwise I just don’t see risking it all on a season where there are several elite teams well ahead of even the next tier of teams, and the Angels are behind that next tier.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry
https://twitter.com/BRWalkoff/status/1684594496179187713?t=kXSRqTKYRPuAmgC8YmDEUw&s=19

He takes a look at this trainwreck of a team and hits us with the unironic "I can fix them" and we can't help but believe him.

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt
The right answer was trading Ohtani.

But if you hitch your wagon to the idea that losing him is a franchise death knell -- which it seems like Arte did -- then this makes sense because doing whatever you can to keep him is worth it if he stays no matter the farm cost.

The worst outcome is that this is their 1 'big' move and they mostly stay pat, they don't have the pitching to really push for contention especially if 2 or 3 others in the middle melee of the AL get measurably better.

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

Good Dog posted:

https://twitter.com/BRWalkoff/status/1684594496179187713?t=kXSRqTKYRPuAmgC8YmDEUw&s=19

He takes a look at this trainwreck of a team and hits us with the unironic "I can fix them" and we can't help but believe him.

If that doesn't scream Future Cub what does

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Shohei is stuck in a toxic relationship

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Shohei is stuck in a toxic relationship

He's thinking about the rest of this season.... Not the next 5 years of the Angels' franchise.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
I'm personally fine with the Angels choosing to deal their prospects to push for the second wild card spot rather than get a boatload of new prospects

Of course there's always the chance Ohtani goes the Trout route at which point we can stop feeling sorry for him like we stopped feeling sorry for Trout

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Look you could trade your top prospect for a rental of a quasi ace and reliever and playoff push or you could trade them for 4 years of Daulton Varsho.

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Look you could trade your top prospect for a rental of a quasi ace and reliever and playoff push or you could trade them for 4 years of Daulton Varsho.

everyone seemed so excited about that trade and it’s not looking great.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

I very much was not and made that pretty clear from the jump!

Edit:

gently caress!

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

The Jays are obviously willing to overpay for players they want. So overpay for Bryan Reynolds who's value isn't tied up in a single thing.

If Varsho doesn't hit, which is a very possible outcome cause he's merely a league average bat, you have someone you can't play cause you already have two other centre fielders (not to mention merrifeld) in a year you're trying to compete for a world series.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Jul 27, 2023

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Made a thread for Immaculate Grid/other sports Grid Games. https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4037907

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

If there's a question whether you should buy or sell at the deadline you should always sell. At the same time I will be extremely annoyed if the Cubs get rid of Cody while he's playing like this.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
This forum might be the only place where I can have a conversation with a Yankees fan without it getting ridiculously out of hand

I flat out will not talk baseball with relatives

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

STAC Goat posted:

You're such a loving baby lmao

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

R.D. Mangles posted:

If there's a question whether you should buy or sell at the deadline you should always sell. At the same time I will be extremely annoyed if the Cubs get rid of Cody while he's playing like this.

hark, did you hear word from the heralds? the bards are singing that the Cubs are BACK.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Well Played Mauer posted:

I don’t envy the Angels’ situation. You have reincarnated Ruth and Mantle but still somehow aren’t even close to being a real contender.

I wonder if this buying thing is some sort of prove it demand from Ohtani. Otherwise I just don’t see risking it all on a season where there are several elite teams well ahead of even the next tier of teams, and the Angels are behind that next tier.

Teams just aren't going to give up a huge prospect package for a rental, even for Ohtani. I mean, let me turn it around since it's a couple of Yankees fans saying this. Would you be OK with giving up your top 3 or 4 prospects for him?

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
And it's not like the Angels have a great development system. They could trade Ohtani for a bunch of prospects but how many of them are actually going to be big league stars?

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

live with fruit posted:

And it's not like the Angels have a great development system. They could trade Ohtani for a bunch of prospects but how many of them are actually going to be big league stars?

This is what I'm saying. Just fuckin go for it Arte, pay the man a billion dollars and let's just do this

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

The Pussy Boss posted:

Teams just aren't going to give up a huge prospect package for a rental, even for Ohtani. I mean, let me turn it around since it's a couple of Yankees fans saying this. Would you be OK with giving up your top 3 or 4 prospects for him?

Yes but the Astros farm is garbage right now, they've graduated almost every decent prospect over the last three years

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

The Pussy Boss posted:

The Yankees aren't 1 Ohtani away from winning the world series but if they were of course I would want them to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

The Cubs are definitely one Ohtani away from like 3 straight World Series wins.