Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: MokBa)

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Tattoos? On MY black quarterback?
I just rolled credits. Might be my favorite game ever. Easily the longest I've ever put into a single player game. I know there's some side quests I didn't do and I may eventually go back to them but now I'm just really satisfied with where I ended. The crazy thing is that I didn't even like breath of the wild very much. The tool set here is what really took it over the top for me compared to that game. Would definitely play whatever DLC they throw out there.

Stray observations:
1. Rock hammers need to last longer. If you need to set them at low damage that's fine, they don't do that much in the later game anyway. But the fact that every rock pile also needs five rusty swords in it because it knows that's how many hammers you need kind of indicates this might be a little annoying.

2. I spent a lot of time in the gloom early on. I went really far in a lot of different directions and kind of just hosed around with the zonai devices. I was pleasantly surprised by how much cool stuff was actually hidden down there when it first seemed like just a barren dark bonus level. Also it turns out that the item I was searching for all game was hidden in one of the first places I stumbled across (and died in).

3. I never figured out what the star pieces are for. Is it just for upgrading weapons?

4. The one thing I will say about this game that doesn't live up to past Zelda games is the boss fight experience. There were some unique and cool ones but only one of the temple bosses was really great and the final bosses were kind of meh. But there is one boss fight that is so silly and referential that I couldn't help but love it Why is no one talking about how the 5th sage fight is an exploding barbed wire deathmatch? It even has a bell ringing at the beginning!

5. The number of moments in this game that had me grinning like an idiot is too high to count. Most notably the moment mentioned in the last paragraph. Also there were quite a few shrines and other zonai related things that really hit quite nicely.

6. I would say the shrines overall are pretty interesting! I would say I like 90% of them that I played (124 cleared), 8% weren't great but were quick, and 2% really overstayed their welcome and weren't great to begin with. A lot of the shrines I'm missing are just the ones that you need to bring the crystal to the shrine. I just don't like carrying the crystal around. And speaking of things I don't really enjoy transporting...

7. The korok transport challenges had a chance to be really unique but for the most part seem to be shuttling a korok down a road that is perfectly accessible by walking. It seems that those challenges would have benefited from a more robust set of zonai devices but who really cares, they're a fun diversion while you want to do them. I think that's a lot of the ethos of this game- If you like a task there's usually a lot of it to do but if not you can just ignore it. I really liked the other checklist tasks though. Putting up President Hudson signs was fun enough that the crappy rewards still weren't a bother.

8. I don't really mind having to watch the same cutscene with mild variation multiple times. What I do mind is that my character keeps all of that information to themselves at times when it would be crucial to the conversation he's having. The stories you chase for the news pelican (albatross?) come to mind. I did a lot of them after I had a piece of information that was very very relevant to them and Link just stands there dumbfounded while people tell him things he knows aren't true.

9. Add this to the long long list of games where I failed to build a good house. My house was so ugly I hated going near it and I don't think I ever displayed anything there despite originally intending to.

10. Apparently my wife was aware of the shark character from the first game. She was pleased to learn that he made a return.

11. Hyrule is full of perverts but the bubbulfrog guy is King Pervert. He's probably related to the guy that lived inside the toilet in Majora's mask.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

Docjowles posted:

As a fellow player who lets his 6 year old take the wheel unsupervised, I feel this. Do you also enjoy coming back to 2 damage sticks fused to extremely rare high damage parts “because it’s really good!”?

The fact that this is just mildly annoying and in no way affects your ability to finish the game helped me come to terms with weapon durability

I’ve had many conversations with my six year old to not do anything crazy like that so we made some parameters. For example, no selling armor.

As a result, I’ve done some things that I normally wouldn’t do. For example, I decide to upgrade a lot of armor to the max so that she can basically have a pretty enjoyable experience because her combat skills are obviously not that great .she does lament, though that she misses the ancient horse armor .

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
The only shrine I didn't like so far is the one called "The Hunt" where it sets you up to put zonai weapons on little robots but I couldn't get to the parts without alerting all the constructs.

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

Benagain posted:

I mean if she wanders enough you can do both of those without going to Hyrule castle.

Yeah, that's how I found both of them and got the "oh you already did everything" dialogue, but it's unlikely.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

zimbomonkey posted:

11. Hyrule is full of perverts but the bubbulfrog guy is King Pervert. He's probably related to the guy that lived inside the toilet in Majora's mask.

The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom - Hyrule is full of perverts

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

Item Getter posted:

Yeah, that's how I found both of them and got the "oh you already did everything" dialogue, but it's unlikely.

I don't think finding the Master Sword is unlikely without hitting up Hyrule Castle, though. The questline there is practically laid across your path, and all over the UI.

Finding the Spirit Temple a little less so, but I also stumbled across it out of ordinary map inquisitiveness leading into its questline before deciding I didn't want to "sequence break" on my first playthrough.

Personally, my biggest regret was that I was way too scared of the Depths early on, and put off exploring down there for much too long.

Also running into the Floating Coliseum first, and assuming that all of them were like that, so I avoided entering them all until last week.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

maltesh posted:

I don't think finding the Master Sword is unlikely without hitting up Hyrule Castle, though. The questline there is practically laid across your path, and all over the UI.

Finding the Spirit Temple a little less so, but I also stumbled across it out of ordinary map inquisitiveness leading into its questline before deciding I didn't want to "sequence break" on my first playthrough.

Personally, my biggest regret was that I was way too scared of the Depths early on, and put off exploring down there for much too long.

Also running into the Floating Coliseum first, and assuming that all of them were like that, so I avoided entering them all until last week.

Yeah, the Master Sword is easy without the castle; all you have to do is get all the geoglyphs. I think some people have used various jank but legit methods to get to where you can get it without even that.

And the Spirit Temple quest can be kicked off early whenever you feel like exploring the permathunderstorm

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Runcible Cat posted:

Yeah, the Master Sword is easy without the castle; all you have to do is get all the geoglyphs. I think some people have used various jank but legit methods to get to where you can get it without even that.
You can just figure out how to get into the lost woods and save the deku tree. He tells you the sword is on the move and doesn't know what that means, but you can just go launch into the sky and get it. I think I had seen enough geoglyphs to understand what was going on, but hadn't finished them.

Gwely Mernans
Jun 30, 2017
You don't even need to do that - simply go to Korok Forest and kill the phantom Ganon and the light dragon starts flying low enough to reach from a tower.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

e: :ms: ^^^

Oxyclean posted:

You can just figure out how to get into the lost woods and save the deku tree. He tells you the sword is on the move and doesn't know what that means, but you can just go launch into the sky and get it. I think I had seen enough geoglyphs to understand what was going on, but hadn't finished them.

I did it in the "correct" order, but doesn't finishing the glyphs bring the light dragon down to a more attainable altitude? Or maybe she does go lower sometimes, I don't think I saw her between the intro and finishing the glyphs, though.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
I had already photographed the light dragon who was not one of the returning three, and also did the geoglyphs out of order so I already saw Zelda talk about becoming a dragon So that wasn't a big reveal for me.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

zimbomonkey posted:

Stray observations:
1. Rock hammers need to last longer.

4. The one thing I will say about this game that doesn't live up to past Zelda games is the boss fight experience. There were some unique and cool ones but only one of the temple bosses was really great and the final bosses were kind of meh. But there is one boss fight that is so silly and referential that I couldn't help but love it Why is no one talking about how the 5th sage fight is an exploding barbed wire deathmatch? It even has a bell ringing at the beginning!

7. The korok transport challenges

8. I don't really mind having to watch the same cutscene with mild variation multiple times. What I do mind is that my character keeps all of that information to themselves at times when it would be crucial to the conversation he's having. The stories you chase for the news pelican (albatross?) come to mind. I did a lot of them after I had a piece of information that was very very relevant to them and Link just stands there dumbfounded while people tell him things he knows aren't true.

1. agreed although tbh I usually just use Yunobo and/or bomb arrows if I have to destroy a huge rear end wall that's going to eat multiple hammers

4. Hey I just posted about that boss the other day :v: Agreed it was very funny, was not expecting that AT ALL

7. Yeah if it pans over to the smoke plume and it's more than like 1 minute away, that little pipsqueak is on his own

8. It does get really really old hearing people go welp Zelda is the absolute paragon of virtue in this world, beloved by all, and would never ever do anything bad. But she just came by and killed my dog, hosed my wife, burned down our house and called me a liberal cuck so I guess she's evil now. No other possible explanation :shrug: Like god drat guys can noone in Hyrule do one iota of critical thinking? (no, they cannot)

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Captain Hygiene posted:

e: :ms: ^^^

I did it in the "correct" order, but doesn't finishing the glyphs bring the light dragon down to a more attainable altitude? Or maybe she does go lower sometimes, I don't think I saw her between the intro and finishing the glyphs, though.

I know I got it before the last two glyphs, but I think that's how you're supposed to do it? I don't think Gannon's second glyph appears until you complete the others or get the mastersword

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Docjowles posted:

1. agreed although tbh I usually just use Yunobo and/or bomb arrows if I have to destroy a huge rear end wall that's going to eat multiple hammers

He's got too much force but yes.

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

Obviously Tingle is the worst Hyrule pervert, but who are our other favorites over the years?

Tingle
Koltin
Kilton
Princess Ruto
Beedle
Happy Mask Salesman
Music Box Guy
Map Fish
Malanya (I hate this loving thing)
Addison

I think the Well Lady is getting off on these deep damp holes and is involving Link in a weird way, but seems otherwise nice about it.

I’m sure there’s a bunch of weirdos in the various GameBoy Zelda’s I’m forgetting, but it’s been too long since I played those.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

I mean, the great fairies in BotW and TotK are clearly the worst perverts of them all.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

I called the frog suit the pervert outfit for the longest time because it has those gross shoes with individual toes.

Then I got the Tingle outfit that gives you a speed bonus at night for creeping in the dark.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Coxswain Balls posted:

I called the frog suit the pervert outfit for the longest time because it has those gross shoes with individual toes.

Then I got the Tingle outfit that gives you a speed bonus at night for creeping in the dark.

I love the frog suit and its disgusting squish noises when you run. It's absolutely for nasty perverts like me

dodgeblan
Jul 20, 2019
yiga spoilers

I did the yiga infiltration quest, it was super fun trying to find the hideouts

Also the whole sequence once you're inside was just plain awesome.

kinda wish i didn't have the existence of this quest spoiled for me, just rolling up on the yiga hideout and finding out you can infiltrate it would have been an amazing suprise. But I probably wouldn't have remembered it/thought about going there if it wasn't for seeing youtube clips of ppl inside the yiga hideout.

Also the yiga dialog changes a lot once you've finished the master kohga questline which was a fun surprise.

I also killed the colliseum thunder gleeok. This was the first gleeok i fought without just using a spring over and over again. Ascending up through the colliseum and jumping down to shoot it was a lot of fun.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

So after roaming the land and doing most of the shrines I'm finally investigating some Regional Phenomena. For my first two, I did the Rito Village and the Zora village. The reward for the first is pretty helpful, but I'm struggling to see much use for the second. Tulin can extend my air travel time, which comes in handy everywhere! And he seems to get critical shots on a fairly frequent basis. I can even ignore weak enemies like chuchus and let him take care of them. Sidon, on the other hand... doesn't seem to fight unless I very deliberately ignore an enemy strong enough to survive a couple of Tulin's arrow volleys, and I've not spotted anything to do with the water shot. Am I not thinking creatively enough (or not finding the relevant spots) to make use of him? Just a yes/no to "is there something I'm missing" is fine if detailing his uses would spoil something else.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Akratic Method posted:

So after roaming the land and doing most of the shrines I'm finally investigating some Regional Phenomena. For my first two, I did the Rito Village and the Zora village. The reward for the first is pretty helpful, but I'm struggling to see much use for the second. Tulin can extend my air travel time, which comes in handy everywhere! And he seems to get critical shots on a fairly frequent basis. I can even ignore weak enemies like chuchus and let him take care of them. Sidon, on the other hand... doesn't seem to fight unless I very deliberately ignore an enemy strong enough to survive a couple of Tulin's arrow volleys, and I've not spotted anything to do with the water shot. Am I not thinking creatively enough (or not finding the relevant spots) to make use of him? Just a yes/no to "is there something I'm missing" is fine if detailing his uses would spoil something else.

By end game, Sidon was by far my most critical sage, so yeah, you're missing something. Spoiler just in case, but it's really just mechanical: Using his ability grants you the WET status which doubles the power of Zora weapons.

edit: vvvv lol vvvv

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Akratic Method posted:

Yeah unfortunately that one is by far the most useless of them at base.

Its only real gimmick is letting you power up Zora weapons for free at any time

Gwely Mernans
Jun 30, 2017
No the most useless sage is the last one. Both because it's a disappointment how horrible it is at combat compared to how you'd imagine it would be and how much it lags the game whenever it's around

All it needed to be even somewhat average is to do something like not use durability on attachments so that I had a reason to use zonai devices with it or even just equip it with good weapons.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

Docjowles posted:

I tend to use Riju; Cooldown's longer than Yunobo, I think, but she's easier to aim and doesn't expend a resource like bomb arrows.

Edit: The final sage is pretty good for a quick jaunt across Gloom, which is what I wind up using her most often for. Also beam emitters seem to last quite a long time on her, if not being particularly damaging.

maltesh fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Jul 27, 2023

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Yeah but that gimmick kicks rear end. If you fuse up a good zora weapon you can get insane damage. Also someone pointed out that if you wear the froggy suit it massively increases how long you count as "wet" for the buff. The bubble also absorbs the damage of one hit which isn't incredible but it's not nothing, especially on monsters that hit like trucks.

Albatrossy_Rodent
Oct 6, 2021

Obliteratin' everything,
incineratin' and renegade 'em
I'm here to make anybody who
want it with the pen afraid
But don't nobody want it but
they're gonna get it anyway!

Gwely Mernans posted:

No the most useless sage is the last one. Both because it's a disappointment how horrible it is at combat compared to how you'd imagine it would be and how much it lags the game whenever it's around

All it needed to be even somewhat average is to do something like not use durability on attachments so that I had a reason to use zonai devices with it or even just equip it with good weapons.

I use it all the time to break boxes and mineral deposits. Works on the lil deposits that you find around boko camps in the depths, but not like, walls or holes full o' zonaite.

Albatrossy_Rodent
Oct 6, 2021

Obliteratin' everything,
incineratin' and renegade 'em
I'm here to make anybody who
want it with the pen afraid
But don't nobody want it but
they're gonna get it anyway!

maltesh posted:

I tend to use Riju; Cooldown's longer than Yunobo, I think, but she's easier to aim and doesn't expend a resource like bomb arrows.

Edit: The final sage is pretty good for a quick jaunt across Gloom, which is what I wind up using her most often for. Also beam emitters seem to last quite a long time on her, if not being particularly damaging.

Not related to the sage, but the trick to beam emitters is they do a lot more damage on the initial hit than they do per second while constantly hitting an enemy. I have a homing construct with two wheels with like ten beam/frost emitters pointing at the ground at an angle. It does like ten times the DPS I do with strong weapons and just erases entire camps in seconds.

Hobbes
Sep 12, 2000
Forum Veteran
Dinosaur Gum
Related to rock breaking talk, the point of the final sage is always having two cannons equipped so you can blast your way though the big chunks of blocked caves. Except for the few frustrating spots that are too tight to pull Mineru out.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Docjowles posted:

Yeah but that gimmick kicks rear end. If you fuse up a good zora weapon you can get insane damage. Also someone pointed out that if you wear the froggy suit it massively increases how long you count as "wet" for the buff. The bubble also absorbs the damage of one hit which isn't incredible but it's not nothing, especially on monsters that hit like trucks.

Frog suit is also easy to upgrade and has surprisingly good defense

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

Ah, thanks. I totally forgot about that; I’d only seen one weapon of that type, from a side quest I did for a villager like twelve play hours ago. I try to read the weapon traits since some of them are pretty good, but I’m not sure I ever noticed that one in the first place.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
Was anyone else expecting rauru to be the villain? All of his sages felt like slave robots and hyrule appeared to be the only state with access to nuclear weapons

FunkyAl fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Jul 27, 2023

Raposa
Aug 4, 2007

That post went quite well, I think.
No, because this is The Legend of Zelda.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

FunkyAl posted:

Was anyone else expecting rauru to be the villain? All of his sages felt like slave robots and helyrile appeared to be the only state with access to nuclear weapons

Not remotely.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
No because he doesn't have a lust for power he just has an extreme and obvious lust for everyone

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

Raposa posted:

No, because this is The Legend of Zelda.

There's all kinds of "dark hyrule" stuff implied in the other games. King or red lions is an obvious parallel to ganondorf, Twilight princess has a mirror version of the royal family that's all about incest and military conquest, the basic plot to a link to the past is that an evil prime minister is using the military resources of hyrule for his plan. This game is full of wells, the obvious comparison being the torture chambers hidden in the subconscious well of kakakiro village. Except here the wells lead to gigantic abandoned mines staffed by robots or monsters. Everything that exists floating above was a gigantic mining effort below. That's in the game, I just don't know why it's not developed further.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

FunkyAl posted:

This game is full of wells, the obvious comparison being the torture chambers hidden in the subconscious well of kakakiro village.

they’re holes in the ground that are used to store and draw out water op

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

FunkyAl posted:

That's in the game, I just don't know why it's not developed further.

Because that's an insane place to take it.

dodgeblan
Jul 20, 2019
i also thought That Guy might be bad because i saw a thumbnail on youtube that suggested that he was going to transform at some point so i was like 'HMMMM'

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
If Rauru was going to be a villain why would ghost Rauru graft his arm onto you at the beginning of the game? Personally I thought Mineru was gonna be the betrayer, because of jealousy or something. But no, the story was simply entirely devoid of intrigue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

I mean, has ANY Zelda game had the twist where a genuinely benevolent-seeming character was revealed to the player to be evil all along?