Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

hexwren posted:

if everyone has to do it, there'll be more people to help with doing it, which is most of my problem with the more elaborate/difficult side content - see my previous complaints about bozja

of course, I'm doomed if blu became mandatory, i can't even beat azulmagia

and i always feel ashamed

How many spells do you have? If you need help gathering some, I could help you out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Hogama posted:

Not to wreck Mordeicus's prediction poll, especially since this info should still be taken with a pile of salt, but there is a bit of info floating around.

Purportedly the interior of Krile's mysterious letter through model viewing:

It says:
Galuf Baldesion
Galool Ja Ja

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6yQOs93Cgg

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Someone on reddit made this observation -

The void portal on the moon is a particular size.

In fact, it's the perfect size to add five more portals.... the exact number of remaining reflections.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mordiceius posted:

In fact, it's the perfect size to add five more portals.... the exact number of remaining reflections.

I assume it is going to grow in size.

Spuzzz
Mar 27, 2005

I have hit my head some many times I am surprised I can remember my own name.
Kind of awkward to just be stuck on the moon on another reflection. Hope we can cram the Ragnarock through.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Dragon Uber

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

Gary’s Answer
Every Shard travel attempt requires you to Leap of Faith down from the Moon after.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

How many spells do you have? If you need help gathering some, I could help you out.

i don't remember.

i have all the ones the guide to do the azulmagia fight said i needed (which was like three spells) but that's not going to fix my inability to push the correct buttons and not die

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I think Azulmagia folds a bit easier nowadays with all of the DPS/Primal spells and having food + Aetheric Mimicry (Healer) should help your survivability a lot more. Maybe even Aetheric Mimicry (Tank) + Mighty Guard if you're really worried about taking a hit.

That said, the Masked Carnivale does get very punishing later, to an almost obnoxious degree. I gave Goldor a few spins for the first time earlier and the sheer amount of instant death/near instant death AOEs is ridiculous.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lHgbbM9pu4

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XP1O2Aha434

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

Spuzzz posted:

Kind of awkward to just be stuck on the moon on another reflection. Hope we can cram the Ragnarock through.

On the other hand, maybe it's better to land on the moon instead of opening giant portal somewhere in the middle of an inhabited region populated by people that are unaware of an existence of other shards.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?

well that was a rollercoaster

Spuzzz
Mar 27, 2005

I have hit my head some many times I am surprised I can remember my own name.
Now I'm picturing the Ragnarock quantum entangled to a half dozen other worlds and you have to try the front door a dozen times to get out to the world you want.

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005

Mordiceius posted:

Seems like a bad idea to give the void access to every other remaining shard without some kind of barrier lol.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Blockhouse posted:

Ugh I really hope that isn't real. The idea of a New World expansion fills me with existential dread.

e: also would that really be in the files? and if it was would it not have been found when 6.4 came out? Did no one think to look at the letter's model till now?
UPDATE

This is directly from 6.45's files.
Can't embed with spoilers, but it's got the model/texture files shown for anybody to independently verify as well.

It's real.
Galuf Baldesion and Gulool Ja Ja are on the BACK of the envelope, that wasn't shown to the camera in-game.

Hogama fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Jul 27, 2023

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Hogama posted:

UPDATE

This is directly from 6.45's files.
Can't embed with spoilers, but it's got the model/texture files shown for anybody to independently verify as well.

It's real.
Galuf Baldesion and Galool Ja Ja are on the BACK of the envelope, that wasn't shown to the camera in-game.

I wasted two nights trying to figure out how to load and find cutscene props in textools lol

Yay though!

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
blue mage Krile. Blue Mage Krile. BLUE MAGE KRILE

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

This is my favorite game of all time and I love the story immensely. That said, the prospect of a New World expansion with all that entails seems extremely fraught and I can't say I'm looking forward to it.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

If that's on the front of the envelope, then it's addressed to Galuf, and Gulool hasn't gotten word that he's dead (which to be fair it's been "less than a year" and they're probably on the other side of the planet).

Edit: Gulool not Galool

FuturePastNow fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Jul 27, 2023

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Apologies for typoing twice, but it should actually be Gulool Ja Ja. Like the XI named enemy.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Arist posted:

This is my favorite game of all time and I love the story immensely. That said, the prospect of a New World expansion with all that entails seems extremely fraught and I can't say I'm looking forward to it.

It'll be Funny

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I think it can be fine. Don't think it's worth going in with the most negative possible stance.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I'm not saying it can't possibly be done well, but part of what little we have to go on is the phrase "New World" itself, which is frankly extremely loaded, and the glamour sets that are explicitly from there, which are... rather tasteless.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Well, I assume the people living there have their own name for the place, and I assume we'll be using that name after we learn it. Perhaps this is too much to assume but we did only learn the real name of the planet in the last expansion

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

It always struck me as kind of weirdly hilarious that everyone immediately started calling it Etheirys as soon as Urianger had that revelation

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Regalingualius posted:

It always struck me as kind of weirdly hilarious that everyone immediately started calling it Etheirys as soon as Urianger had that revelation

Obviously that's because of the Echo translating whenever someone uses a different name for the planet.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Arist posted:

I'm not saying it can't possibly be done well, but part of what little we have to go on is the phrase "New World" itself, which is frankly extremely loaded, and the glamour sets that are explicitly from there, which are... rather tasteless.

I think it's cool to see representation and cultural inspired clothing like that. It spreads awareness of a culture and helps it to not whither in obscurity. When culture gets too sectioned off and walled away how do you remember?

TheWorldsaStage fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Jul 27, 2023

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars
I think New World might be more likely only Bozja/Eureka-like location in the next expansion, they already did Mesoamerican-like architecture with Ronka and Amazon with Rak'tika

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

Gary’s Answer
We misheard and it's actually the Nu World because this will be the Chrono Trigger expansion.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

TheWorldsaStage posted:

I think it's cool to see representation and cultural inspired clothing like that. It spreads awareness of a culture and helps it to not whither in obscurity. When culture gets too sectioned off how do you remember?

The important aspect is "spreading awareness of culture."

Most of the time, it does not do that. That is when you end up with cultural appropriation.

If I take an indigenous outfit and wear it, I'm not spreading awareness of that culture. I'm just taking the image of their culture and making it mine. This is why there's been a little bristling with some of the cultural outfits put into the game. They're not actually spreading any awareness of said culture - they're just turning it into a costume.

It's a delicate balance and nobody is perfect.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Granted, I'm American so I'm biased regarding the thing I recognize, but I feel like there's also kind of a difference between a lot of those sets and the New World Set, which is just extremely stereotypical Native American garb.

Otherwise, a lot of the issue I've seen people have with the "cultural" outfits the devs have been adding is that they're cash shop.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i mean i know people with that ancestry who like those outfits, too. and the game goes out of its way to point out 'beast tribes' was a dumb and cruel way to refer to those races, and gives us quests that shows off their culture more, so i assume they'll do the same thing with 'new world.'

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Ojjeorago posted:

We misheard and it's actually the Nu World because this will be the Chrono Trigger expansion.

:hellyeah:

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Endorph posted:

i mean i know people with that ancestry who like those outfits, too. and the game goes out of its way to point out 'beast tribes' was a dumb and cruel way to refer to those races, and gives us quests that shows off their culture more, so i assume they'll do the same thing with 'new world.'

I remember the example of a lady on Twitter saying only certain cultures in Asian nations should celebrate Lunar New Year, or with permission if you weren't. A guy from one of those cultures then gave everyone who saw his tweet permission to celebrate it, because he wanted everyone to share in it and be a part of it.

It's the difference between being fiercely protective of something you see as your cultural identity and wanting to spread your culture to others so it becomes part of a larger culture.

Neither one is more right than the other, but you'll get people of the same culture with very different views on how it should be.

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

TheWorldsaStage posted:

Neither one is more right than the other, but you'll get people of the same culture with very different views on how it should be.

I think this is inportant to keep in mind.

Cultural appropriation is a thing just as much as cultural misrepresentation, especially in video games. At the same time I'm reminded of a story from some Canadian streamers where they went to go see a Japanese touring group performing traditional dock worker soran bushi song and dance. Some locals tried telling other Canadians not to imitate it because it would be insensitive cultural appropriation and the touring artists told them to shut the hell up because they wanted to share and spread the culture and history.

That being said I have no idea how many representatives of the cultures FFXIV will include or borroe from will be involved in a new world expansion. And I definitely got the feeling from previous talk about the next expansion that it'll be larger than Bozja sized.

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost
I mean, speaking of fraught, we know for a fact that Walaquee holy sites are rife with ceruleum that Ul’Dahn groups are gnawing on the bit to exploit. Explicit resource colonialism, and the WoL does end up on the native’s side.

I think SE is gonna jump in to all those questions feet first. For better or for worse? I think SE does good at hiring and working with cultural inputs, but I guess we’ll see.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
There is also a difference between a Japanese person in an MMO dressing up as a Native American vs. a random American vs. say, Andrew Jackson.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I'd rather a company try and maybe not be perfect than the weird rear end woke segregationism that people like pushing lately, where we never are allowed to see other cultures in stuff ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Yeah, I think the best option would be hiring indigenous people as cultural consultants to make sure you're getting it right.