Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Jelly posted:

andrew tate's fans are real close, the youtube personality cult is also terrible but that's mostly children so maybe they'll grow out of it

Oh god yeah streamers in general but at least that’s much smaller and better contained than elon bros.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

A company taking all its branding cues from tactical loofahs.

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

Elon is going to make Twitter look like that goon bachelor bathroom that was all black and red.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

ben shapino posted:

brb registering @xlegaldepartment

grab xvideos, xtube and xchat as well

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Lmao he turned himself into an X

The new Corncob

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

smoobles posted:

grab xvideos, xtube and xchat as well

xvideos already got suspended lol

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Wow, doing a login I get this message, which means they haven't bothered to do a basic find/replace:

Rebranding sure is going well a week later.

...! posted:

https://fortune.com/2023/07/26/pass...e-twitter-bird/

:stare:

Everyone asking what kind of person would still work at Twitter, now you know.

Also, what is up with this Lord of the Flies poo poo? Has Stockholm syndrome come over all of those people?

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Saoshyant posted:

Wow, doing a login I get this message, which means they haven't bothered to do a basic find/replace:

Rebranding sure is going well a week later.

Also, what is up with this Lord of the Flies poo poo? Has Stockholm syndrome come over all of those people?

I've heard unfortunately that A LOT of the remaining indentured workers from SEA are unfortunately UBER chuds themselves who worship Musk

A lot of Tech Bros think he is a troll genius, their brains are mush from Linux and crypto discussions

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Quixotic1 posted:

Elon is going to make Twitter look like that goon bachelor bathroom that was all black and red.
This one?

no wait that's the doom mod this one

nerox
May 20, 2001

ben shapino posted:

brb registering @xlegaldepartment

That handle will be safe forever.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

um...

US representative Jim Jordan has written the new Twitter files...
https://twitter.com/Jim_Jordan/status/1684595375875760128

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Lumbermouth posted:

A company taking all its branding cues from tactical loofahs.

how the hell do you have a tactical loofah? its a plant? do they now grow black ones now?

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

kazil posted:

um...

US representative Jim Jordan has written the new Twitter files...
https://twitter.com/Jim_Jordan/status/1684595375875760128

Um actually it's the X-Files!

Isn't this a massive conflict of interest?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Someone please encourage Elon to set the site background image to the matrix screensaver for maximum coolness.

holtemon
May 2, 2019

Dancing is forbidden

pixaal posted:

This one?

Lol nice

Isn't this the one where the guy ripped up his floor and sawed off a piece of the load-bearing wood thing (whatever it's called I dunno) so the bathtub would fit? Or is that another DIY f-up I'm thinking of

There's a whole thread about it here somewhere I think but I can't remember any more details than that

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
Elon's prospects of making a worldwide financial app:

quote:

It’s worth emphasizing the logistical complexity of what Musk is proposing. In order to build a globe-spanning fintech app, X would have to obtain licenses in every jurisdiction it operates in, and then build or acquire the rails necessary to connect the app to the local banking network. As McKinsey points out, fintech rules vary wildly between states, even in places like Europe where legislation is often created on a supranational basis by the EU. Some markets (like Germany) are easier than others (like Poland) to enter.

And it would need to adhere to financial services regulations on an ongoing basis, which adds further headaches, both from a legal and engineering perspective. Things like AML (anti-money laundering) and KYC (know your customer) rules differ subtly between states, and violations can result in tough financial or criminal penalties. Staying compliant requires spending money and hiring people — both of which Musk has proven averse to — and can’t be accomplished through automation alone.

Musk dreams of creating the WeChat or KakaoTalk of America — massive apps combining payments, social media and chat, created by different companies in different countries with different regulatory climates at different times in history. They are capital-intensive apps with massive payrolls. Kakao has 10,000 employees, and Tencent (which owns WeChat) has over 100,000 people and grew WeChat from its already-successful and stable QQ chat (and had over 20,000 people at launch). By contrast, Twitter employs roughly 1,000 people — a fraction of its pre-acquisition headcount.

It’s a dream that’s almost comically ignorant of history and context. WeChat, for example, which blends social media and fintech into a single product, and is the de-facto payment method in the Middle Kingdom. This app was successful largely because, for most of its modern history, China was a cash-centric country with a rudimentary banking system.

The first domestic debit card system, UnionPay, launched in 2003, almost four decades after Barclays bank introduced the world’s first ATM system. Before then, cards only worked in the cities where they were issued, and were rarely accepted by merchants. Credit cards came to China in 1985, almost 35 years after their creation, and were limited to the most affluent in society. Again, widespread adoption was limited.

And although China has gradually opened up its economy to the wider world (starting with the reforms of Deng Xiaoping in 1979 and accelerating after China’s accession into the World Trade Organization in 2001), the country has long resisted the introduction foreign payments providers. For context, Mastercard only received approval to offer bank clearing services in 2020, and only after it agreed to form a joint venture with local companies. The same is true for American Express, which received permission in 2018.

This history matters because it explains how WeChat became so successful. Tencent had an unbelievable advantage — a perfectly straight and clear path to victory. It had a vast, untapped market to exploit and virtually no competition (either foreign or domestic) to worry about. There was no way it could lose.

X, meanwhile, is seeking to disrupt an established and highly-competitive market, where its rivals include Mastercard, Visa, Apple, Samsung, Google, Paypal, CashApp, Venmo, and more. These companies aren’t merely richer and better-managed than Twitter — but arguably more popular and trusted. And whereas Tencent only had to deal with one regulator, X must deal with potentially hundreds.

It almost feels farcical to humor Musk’s idea, because he simply does not execute. His ideas are always half-baked and vague, then handed off to cronies that will then have to find a way to build them into something functional. He’s the world’s highest-paid ideas guy, making ridiculous claims and then treating the people that have to deliver with contempt while continually hogging the spotlight.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Jul 27, 2023

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

Why does Elon keep saying that AI is dangerous and might destroy humanity while at the same time is paying people to make a self-driving car? Also he hates smart-devices for some reason? Is he just trying to get people to stop buying AI products from other companies and instead buy them from him?

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

Elon's prospects of making a worldwide financial app:

Literally none of this matters because this person seems to think elon would want to have financial regulations be handled or actually fulfilled

Elon will absolutely try to launch a finance part of x like venmo and not have any aspect of it be either functional or legally regulated

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Machai posted:

Why does Elon keep saying that AI is dangerous and might destroy humanity while at the same time is paying people to make a self-driving car? Also he hates smart-devices for some reason? Is he just trying to get people to stop buying AI products from other companies and instead buy them from him?

Yes, because his AI will say the N word

He's like the world's most stupid cyberpunk villain

morningdrew
Jul 18, 2003

It's toe-tapping-ly tragic!

pixaal posted:

now THATS an alpha male bathroom if I ever saw one

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

Machai posted:

It's real simple, he's fuckin unbelievably stupid.

I'm a Floridian and I can see it. Make my words

MunchE
Sep 7, 2000

General Probe posted:

I don't see how this is much different than the diesel gate scandal from a few years ago but I suspect Tesla will never face consequences for it.

Trump and Elon have exposed that it's mostly honor system for consequences anymore. You can just go out and deny and lie and move on with your life and nobody ever does anything.

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004

holtemon posted:

Lol nice

Isn't this the one where the guy ripped up his floor and sawed off a piece of the load-bearing wood thing (whatever it's called I dunno) so the bathtub would fit? Or is that another DIY f-up I'm thinking of

There's a whole thread about it here somewhere I think but I can't remember any more details than that

Yeah he cut into the joists to get the tub at the height he wanted/have the rock feature.

Hardcastlemccormik
Jul 19, 2022
Ed Zitron posted a pretty great rundown of bast and present Elon failures in a nice biting package

https://wheresyoured.at/p/the-rot-king?utm_source=post-email-title&publication_id=8982&post_id=135448974&isFreemail=true&utm_medium=email

quote:

Elon Musk is the minimum viable product of capitalism. He’s realized the exact amount he has to do to stay relevant, continually using the media to pump out half-stories based on tweets or off-handed comments, knowing he will never be held accountable by investors or the general public. xAI, his new company, is allegedly promising founding members 1% stock options that are “like a $200 million signing bonus,” suggesting a $20 billion valuation based on Elon Musk existing and saying that its goal is to “understand the true nature of the universe.” Whether or not it’s related to Musk’s alleged “TruthGPT” product is irrelevant. Musk says stuff, has money, and the media covers it as if it’s the unassailable truth, regardless of whether there’s any proof that anything actually exists.

He’s an inventor that invented nothing, a chief executive that has never executed, and a marketer that never markets a real product. His most successful companies were built by and run by other people, while the ones he did build never seem to deliver. He is well aware that he gets credit for things he did not build or will never build, and will continue to vaguely suggest something will happen as long as he continues to be rewarded by a compliant media and growth-drunk private and public markets.

quote:

Musk is the loser’s winner — a charlatan that is able to make unfathomable amounts of money despite being nakedly full of poo poo, using his massive fame and fortune to test society and the markets’ limits. He believes he can get away with anything because he always has, other than one major exception — Twitter.

He didn’t want to buy it, and now it sits there, festering, burning capital and constantly activating his worst instincts, showing the world how much of a rotten little cretin he is.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?
The Twitter Mobile App changed itself to "X" on my phone now. I don't intend to delete it quite yet but this dumb poo poo means it's definitely going to happen soon.

Dunning Krugerrand
Dec 23, 2015

purestrain pyrite

holtemon posted:

Lol nice

Yup, he cut off the tops of the joists supporting the second story of his house.

morningdrew posted:

now THATS an alpha male bathroom if I ever saw one

Guaranteed to attract females so they'll buy his house!

Dunning Krugerrand fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Jul 27, 2023

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

its been said that joe rogan is the cishet men's version of Gwyneth Paltrow/goop.

and musk is the cishet bro's version of donnie imo.

MunchE
Sep 7, 2000

The Grimace posted:

The Twitter Mobile App changed itself to "X" on my phone now. I don't intend to delete it quite yet but this dumb poo poo means it's definitely going to happen soon.

You wouldn't want to miss the next Nazi and/or Pedophile that Musk resurrects

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

The Grimace posted:

No time like the present

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Yeah I finally went ahead and deleted it. Hopefully I can still read embedded tweets, that's all I really need anyway.

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009

waffle iron posted:

Yeah he cut into the joists to get the tub at the height he wanted/have the rock feature.

why the gently caress would you want a bunch of loose rocks surrounding your tub? I take it this guy has actually never cleaned a bathroom in his life? That’s gonna be mold city. You want everything in the bathroom to be nice and easy to wipe down. people, I swear…..

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Sucrose posted:

why the gently caress would you want a bunch of loose rocks surrounding your tub? I take it this guy has actually never cleaned a bathroom in his life? That’s gonna be mold city. You want everything in the bathroom to be nice and easy to wipe down. people, I swear…..

Something about being what the ladies want. I think the goon that made that bathroom eventually came around after a few years and realized their mistake, or maybe that's a different bathroom disaster there's so many.

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

holtemon posted:

Off topic, but thanks for bringing up all this Chromium/Google web stuff. I've been putting off switching browsers mostly because I don't want to, but I got switched over to Firefox today and am planning on using that from now on

Back on topic, Elon Musk is kinda stupid lol

There are a few other Chromium-based browsers like Vivaldi and Opera who have said they will be stripping any of Google's poo poo out of their builds. I'm a big fan of Vivaldi as it's ridiculously configurable and comes with a lot of features like ad-block and mouse gestures that would otherwise need extensions, although I imagine at some point Google will block it from installing extensions from the Chrome web store.

More on-topic, I used to have a column in Tweetdeck with a couple of hashtags for popular image generation programs, just to see what interesting things people were making. I don't have that column any more as a few months back it increasingly became 90% anime waifus and photo-real images that were disturbingly CSAM-adjacent.

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

holtemon posted:

Lol nice

I know nothing about home improvement or DIY but that thread was some of the finest content I've seen on here.

Hardcastlemccormik
Jul 19, 2022
Musk should hire tub guy to renovate the Twitter bathrooms to make them as X as possible

Cutting into anything load bearing is already a proven X strategy, just go for it!

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

Sucrose posted:

ladies love mold

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Clyde Radcliffe posted:

There are a few other Chromium-based browsers like Vivaldi and Opera who have said they will be stripping any of Google's poo poo out of their builds. I'm a big fan of Vivaldi as it's ridiculously configurable and comes with a lot of features like ad-block and mouse gestures that would otherwise need extensions, although I imagine at some point Google will block it from installing extensions from the Chrome web store.

More on-topic, I used to have a column in Tweetdeck with a couple of hashtags for popular image generation programs, just to see what interesting things people were making. I don't have that column any more as a few months back it increasingly became 90% anime waifus and photo-real images that were disturbingly CSAM-adjacent.

GBS AI art thread should be mostly cool stuff, very little anime horny posting.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4000251

There's a mix of people learning, people posting actual worked on pieces.

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

The Grimace posted:

Bro, be like me. Find some Chud rear end in a top hat, tell him "you should hang with Benito sometime", take the ban and move on.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

PhazonLink posted:

its been said that joe rogan is the cishet men's version of Gwyneth Paltrow/goop.

and musk is the cishet bro's version of donnie imo.

The same company that made supplements for Goop gave them a different name so Alex Jones could sell them on his network.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Boris Galerkin posted:

As I understand it the signatures or whatever are cryptographically signed and whoever is able to break it would be better off using their knowledge to do things like “steal money from banks undetected” or “launch nuclear missiles for the lols”.

E: As I understand it (and I’m a dumbass so don’t quote me) what Google wants is a way for websites to ask the user’s browser “are you an approved web browser running unmodified software?” and the browser will respond. Then the website will decide if it agrees and if it does it shows the website and if it doesn’t it errors out. If Apple and Mozilla refuse to implement the browser check then your gmail/youtube/google will just never load anymore because your browser isn’t approved, citizen.

Surprise T Rex posted:

Hang on, let me reword this so I can be sure I've understood it properly - "Elon Musk: Posting CSAM, while illegal pretty much everywhere, is no longer a bannable offense on Twitter X."

Also, the WEI "web DRM" thing is more annoying than it sounds, even.

The general idea is for a site to be able to ask the browser if it's running on an approved/secure environment, and the browser responds with an "attestation", basically a certificate from some authority saying yes, I have this certificate from whatever authority that says I'm secure. I think the idea is that this comes from the company who builds your OS - your phone or PC can constantly request these certificates so it can send them to sites that ask for it. The website (not the browser) then gets to choose which of those authorities it trusts the attestation of.

Using another browser does nothing because it's the server that decides whether your attestation is valid, and it's the attester who determines if your browser's operating system environment is valid.

Which basically means most good-faith websites will end up trusting Google, MS, and Apple, possibly a couple of other mid-size attesters like Mozilla maybe? Then probably forget about implementing anything to accept certificates from smaller independent orgs that set up their own attestation flow to provide the same thing. Want to run a pure open-source Linux distro and run exclusively open-source software on it? Well even if you have an open-source attestation provider that offers this, you then have to count on every website considering that provider's certificates to be valid. You might find yourself unable to use your online banking because they only consider certificates "valid" from the big 3.

In the bad-faith scenario (hey, Google) you could theoretically have Google websites only trust their own attestations meaning only Chromebooks and Android could access Google services. I doubt this part would actually happen to this extent because suddenly shutting out all Windows/Apple users would be a bad idea, but they could ensure that e.g. privacy-focused Android devices aren't given a valid certificate from the Google Attestation flow and thus lock them out.

Remember when the Internet was heralded as a triumph for increased openness, collaboration and communication?

gently caress this poo poo with a flaming razor-dick dipped in acid.