Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
:hmmyes: if you do enough drugs you can just avoid every bad-feeling interaction in the game. Like the awesome detective you surely are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Killed a Girl in 96
Jun 15, 2001

DON'T STOP CAN'T STOP

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

You definitely can go to the island alone, though maybe that involves telling Cuno to scram after losing Kim. I dunno how it works, but I do know that there's a special ending if you do: If you have no one else to vouch for you, Judit will be the one to smooth things over if Harry has been sober since monday; if not, the 41st will ditch him and he lives out his days in the fishing village, with Idiot Doom Spiral and friends.

JFC. :(

I had no idea that was possible and it's heart-breaking.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

I think I’m getting pretty close to the end (finishing up side quests before confronting Ruby), and I’m just curious for potential future playthroughs: what’s the absolute bare minimum you have to do to reach that point? Obviously you have to wait until Day 3, at least, but I’ve just been so busy digging into every nook and cranny I can that I kind of lost track.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

you must

establish authority with titus
convince titus he's being manipulated
get access to the shack from the washerwoman
be told ruby went further up the coast

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

World War Mammories posted:

you must

establish authority with titus
convince titus he's being manipulated
get access to the shack from the washerwoman
be told ruby went further up the coast

I am kinda curious as to the bare minimum conversations / interactions required to fulfill these conditions (assuming favourable rolls)

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

TACD posted:

I am kinda curious as to the bare minimum conversations / interactions required to fulfill these conditions (assuming favourable rolls)

I suspect there's probably a speedrunner resource that's determined this.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

TACD posted:

I believe all you have to do that I didn't mention, assuming you ace the checks, is talk with klaasje after each titus check, plus purchase the boombox to listen to the doorgunner megamix, but I haven't investigated that myself.

google suggests this is the world record speedrun. speedrunning this game seems kind of odd to me but I'll check it out

e: oh I forgot there's a third titus check. authority, rhetoric, then logic.

also some reddit thread planning it out. pre-final cut, I think https://www.reddit.com/r/DiscoElysium/comments/em3sz7/any_speedrun_route_planning/

World War Mammories fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Jul 27, 2023

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I watched it and it was actually quite interesting! Here is a cliffs notes version:

- Recruit Kim and talk to Garte to receive your first instructions, ensure you haggle him to the minimum repayment
- Retrieve money from Joyce to pay for it
- Go to the library and read up on the entirety of THE MAN FROM HJELMDALL (takes 3 real life minutes of mashing, or 10% of the run)
- Doing this passes enough time to end Day 1 immediately
- Inspect the body to get the task, don't even compress your poo poo
- Pay Garte for the room damages
- Go to bed having accomplished a whole lot

- Pay Garte again for the room and board
- Immediately brush up on THE MAN FROM HJELMDALL again because it's such a classic
- Suddenly, the Hardies appear in the booth
- Prove Your Authority To Titus Hardie
- Grab the key in the booth and open the pinball workshop for evidence to present
- Speak to Klaasje
- Speak to Titus
- Speak to Klaasje
- Take a drat nap

- Ignore your completely exhausted partner Kim in the morning Talk to Titus instead for Ruby's location
- Fix the water lock
- Ask the Washerwoman for the key to the shack
- Examine the FELD mural with kung-fu master Trant Heidelstam for clues on ruby (silently)
- Confront Ruby- the fastest outcome is thankfully not allowing her to self-terminate
- At the Tribunal, Harry does not have his gun and so Kim takes the shot
- Sleep off your failure
- In a bad mood, tell Cuno to get lost and limp your sorry loving way to the island with no other dialogue for the whole game
- The Deserter lays down his gun
- Encounter the Insulindian Phasmid
- Unbelievably, this assembles just enough evidence to have solved the case and Judit saves your job. Harry gets to return to the precinct.

So, in total that's 11 non-cutscene-event conversations and one lone silent interaction to gain clues.

It's seriously awesome how much of the game is optional to even interact with, there are a hundred different ways to reach these specific bullet points. Hardly any two players will do it the same way.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Jul 27, 2023

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
That version of Harry is a pretty big fuckup, but you can't argue with that kind of efficiency

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
They say the world isn’t ready for a rock-and-roll cop. No one *wants* their state monopoly on violence to be mixed with celebrity worship. They 'claim to know' it would be dangerous for detectives to rise to the ranks of demigods and have sexual encounters with barely-legal cover girls. It would be 'insane', they say. To all this you say: gently caress off and die. In a cool voice. You people have no idea how *good* these cops are gonna get. They're gonna crack twenty cases a day. In the future, cops will be like astrophysicists. Or prime ministers. Or prophets. And you’re the first one.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

christmas boots posted:

That version of Harry is a pretty big fuckup, but you can't argue with that kind of efficiency

It turns out after all that "Evrart Claire Can Eat A Dick" is the most optimal strategy

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Oxyclean posted:

Mr. Evrart is helping me find my gun.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

World War Mammories posted:

I believe all you have to do that I didn't mention, assuming you ace the checks, is talk with klaasje after each titus check, plus purchase the boombox to listen to the doorgunner megamix, but I haven't investigated that myself.

You don't actually have to listen to the doorgunner megamix, you can just tell Titus to shove his dodgy evidence up his rear end and ask Klaasje about the hanged man directly instead. Dunno if there's prerequirements for doing so, maybe your brain will only allow you to do it if you have enough real evidence and/or properly disposed of the body beforehand.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?
The modt relatable character for me was Dolores Dei, which is probably not a very good sign.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
It's a very bad sign.

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

Extremely bad sign, unless you mean Dora Ingerlund, which is still pretty bad but nowhere near.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?

Youremother posted:

unless you mean Dora Ingerlund
No, the other one.

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

Oxyclean posted:

I suspect there's probably a speedrunner resource that's determined this.

Oh hey I'm a speedrunner resource! I did the first (and slowest) speedrun of the Any% run that utilizes the stat glitch, so the initial routing of the run was substantially my work (with improvements by later runners, also they played the game better). CJacobs's rundown is a pretty comprehensive rundown of the game's critical path, although there's some stuff you can do in different (and slower) ways to fulfil the same set of requirements, like linking the Hardie Boys to the murder through the footprints or through talking to Evrart, or paying for the room by pawning Kim's hubcaps or through talking to Evrart.

One point of interest I'd like to draw attention to is the stat glitch at the beginning of the run (which, sadly, was patched out with the Jamais Vu update). Using a controller, you can exit directly to the main menu during character creation instead of backing out normally. This puts the game in a state where the next time you go into character creation, it'll pick a random debug mode statline, one of which has 6 in every stat and every skill maxed out for a total of 12 in every skill. Since it's only a 1 in 10 chance of getting this statline every time you attempt the glitch, it's not included in the speedrun timing.

There's one other reason to have a controller plugged in, which was discovered by Punchy: If you use a hairband to hold down the analog stick, it'll scroll dialogue off the screen at maximum speed, which prevents lag during long dialogue segments like looping through The Man From Hjelmdall to pass time.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Rogue AI Goddess posted:

The modt relatable character for me was Dolores Dei, which is probably not a very good sign.
Thinking through the implications... yeah, okay, pretty good post/username combo.

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

Rogue AI Goddess posted:

if you start stealing concepts from the future again so help me it'll be the broom for you :sweep:

anyways Alice the Skull is cool and it's funny she gets hangers-on/poseurs/whatever you want to call those two dweebs that diss kim's ride

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
who the h*ck is "Alice" the Skull? :confused:

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

who the h*ck is "Alice" the Skull? :confused:

That must be the cocaine skull!

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

You don't actually have to listen to the doorgunner megamix, you can just tell Titus to shove his dodgy evidence up his rear end and ask Klaasje about the hanged man directly instead. Dunno if there's prerequirements for doing so, maybe your brain will only allow you to do it if you have enough real evidence and/or properly disposed of the body beforehand.

218 hours of gameplay over like nine playthroughs, a couple years of posting, and I am still learning new poo poo about this game

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
I have played through the game several times and have no idea what the "doorgunner megamix" might be or what role it might play in the investigation.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

it's the tape titus gives you with recordings of lely talking about how he'll go all *co hoi* on those loincloths etc

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

GlyphGryph posted:

Yeah the whole early game seems like a relentless stream of accomplishing stuff, so like I said I don't get it. But it is far and away the leading criticism I've seen of the game from people who bounced off it.

This is from a month ago but I gotta say that Outer Wilds is one of the most frustrating games I've ever played. I've tried playing it twice and stopped both times because of one huge reason: I can't adjust to the Newtonian flight physics.

Between how difficult it is for me to steer the ship and the sheer velocity of the planets, I simply can't land on the smaller ones. There's only so many times I can bounce off a surface and careen far away while the planet I was trying to land on swiftly recedes into the distance before I have to quit for the sake of my own mental health.

Why must you torment me like this, Outer Wilds? Give me FPS controls like a heathen or something. I want to like you. :(

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
The crazy rear end Descent controls in Outer Wilds are one of the best things about it :colbert: Maybe you should put more points in Savoir Faire (I joke - though you might benefit from some practice using the autopilot option, it's really helpful for safely matching speed)

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

...! posted:

This is from a month ago but I gotta say that Outer Wilds is one of the most frustrating games I've ever played. I've tried playing it twice and stopped both times because of one huge reason: I can't adjust to the Newtonian flight physics.

Between how difficult it is for me to steer the ship and the sheer velocity of the planets, I simply can't land on the smaller ones. There's only so many times I can bounce off a surface and careen far away while the planet I was trying to land on swiftly recedes into the distance before I have to quit for the sake of my own mental health.

Why must you torment me like this, Outer Wilds? Give me FPS controls like a heathen or something. I want to like you. :(

Autopilot should get you close to a planet and at rest relative to it (until the planet's gravity draws you toward it, anyway). Then just try to approach at low speed. I like using the landing camera, though I think a lot of people don't.

One metric I use is starting to slow down when I would reach (crash into) a planet in ten seconds. So if I'm traveling towards a planet at 600 m/s I'd start slowing down 6 km away. Then once I'm below maybe 100ish m/s I'd stop slowing down until I'm actually landing. If you're careening away from a crash you were coming in too hot. Just try to be more patient and descend more slowly until you get the hang of it.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

...! posted:

Move towards it, hold 'match velocity', repeat until on the ground. It sounds like you're not matching velocity very often.

Or play some Kerbal Space Program for a few hours and intuitively grasp orbital mechanics in a way hundreds of hours of textbooks couldn't teach you, but this isn't necessary at all.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
i loved the flight mechanics in Outer Wilds, probably the best flight feel of any flying vehicle game I've ever played. Your engines are just so powerful, and once you get a hang of aerobraking (and a bit of lithobreaking) you can get places so fast and with such style, it's amazing. I was actually surprised at how intuitive I found it.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Looping back around to speedruns, watching speedrunners fly the ship on OW is hilarious.

But it definitely feels satisfying to get a hang of things that you can figure out how to do things quickly. Also comical flight errors are just a funny part of the game.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

GlyphGryph posted:

i loved the flight mechanics in Outer Wilds, probably the best flight feel of any flying vehicle game I've ever played. Your engines are just so powerful, and once you get a hang of aerobraking (and a bit of lithobreaking) you can get places so fast and with such style, it's amazing. I was actually surprised at how intuitive I found it.

Braking? You’re an immortal time traveler with infinite new ships. I think after the first few hours I just careened into every planet at interplanetary speeds and left it to burn.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLBaB3kQKT0

Ithle01
May 28, 2013
I wish I'd noticed the activity in this thread a few days ago. I just binged my way through this game and racked up 50 hours of play time this week - it's my Summer vacation don't judge. Anyway, I finished it with some mixed opinions. There's definitely what I feel like is some of what I would call 'antagonistic GMing' and the end game felt like just slamming through waves of dialogue options that were almost totally irrelevant, but I did really enjoy the art and the politics stuff in it was well nuanced and kind of fun. In the end I went ultraliberal out of spite.

At the moment I'm not really interested in another play through, it feels like I spent 25 hours running around going nowhere looking for clues that didn't exist or weren't activated yet. So... can I actually go into catacombs or sewers or find the cocaine skull? Or is the game basically just what you find in one playthrough? I did what feels like most of the sidequests and I dug around the wiki abit and didn't see much that I missed. I've heard people say this game has a lot of replayability, but I'm not sure what that means beyond slightly different dialogue options.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

I just finished my first play through as an INT/PSY Communist, and I’ve already got an itch to take another spin at it with a PHYS/MOT fuckup of either an ultra liberal or fascist :allears:

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

uPen posted:

Braking? You’re an immortal time traveler with infinite new ships. I think after the first few hours I just careened into every planet at interplanetary speeds and left it to burn.

It's fine as long as you can walk away from the crash, sure, but you do need to still be able to walk.

Ithle01 posted:

I wish I'd noticed the activity in this thread a few days ago. I just binged my way through this game and racked up 50 hours of play time this week - it's my Summer vacation don't judge. Anyway, I finished it with some mixed opinions. There's definitely what I feel like is some of what I would call 'antagonistic GMing' and the end game felt like just slamming through waves of dialogue options that were almost totally irrelevant, but I did really enjoy the art and the politics stuff in it was well nuanced and kind of fun. In the end I went ultraliberal out of spite.

At the moment I'm not really interested in another play through, it feels like I spent 25 hours running around going nowhere looking for clues that didn't exist or weren't activated yet. So... can I actually go into catacombs or sewers or find the cocaine skull? Or is the game basically just what you find in one playthrough? I did what feels like most of the sidequests and I dug around the wiki abit and didn't see much that I missed. I've heard people say this game has a lot of replayability, but I'm not sure what that means beyond slightly different dialogue options.

It's mostly about what stats you have high enough for them to chime in a lot. Plus seeing the reaction to different ideologies etc.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
The story itself is going to be the same regardless, yeah.

Ithle01
May 28, 2013

Staltran posted:

It's fine as long as you can walk away from the crash, sure, but you do need to still be able to walk.

It's mostly about what stats you have high enough for them to chime in a lot. Plus seeing the reaction to different ideologies etc.

Ah, that's what I was worried about. Going to put this on the backburner for a while. There's way too much dialogue in this game, it was honestly exhausting reading all of this and just smashing through the dialogue options.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

uPen posted:

Look up the meaning of lithobraking