Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ExtrudeAlongCurve
Oct 21, 2010

Lambert is my Homeboy
I find Welt intensely attractive so unless I get him on a missed 50/50 before I hit 300, I will choose based on sex appeal.

I just got my first 30 star MoC clear last night and I've only been pulling for featured characters I like. Which so far has just been Jing Yuan and Luocha. Clara, Gepard and Yanqing are my standards. I'm glad that, just like Genshin, you are not punished heavily for ignoring meta and just grabbing favorites for the most part.

I'm so excited about Imagine Dragon and Fu Xuan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

I would love Welt but I already used mine on Bailu. Though that's also because I'm skipping Daniel so no imaginary dps for me. Daniel's animations are incredibly, incredibly sick, but I picked up Blade and I'm going for Jingliu so I don't know how wise it is to go in on three Destruction dps. Also Fu Xuan is equally as extra as Daniel so...tough choices all around.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
Unless I get welt before 300, I am getting welt off the pick. If I do... idk gepard? I've already got Bronya and everyone else I don't have feels a bit redundant with my current roster.

Symphoric
Apr 20, 2005

I got Welt on the departure banner when I first started playing and almost re-rolled my account because everyone was saying he sucked, but then I figured what the gently caress I'll just keep playing and I'm glad I did because Welt is cool and good.

If I ever reach 300 I'll take Bronya or Clara. None of the other standard chars really interest me at all.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

I was gonna get Gepard for my 300, but given that 1) I have Luocha already and Natasha is alright at solo sustaining and 2) I'm gonna get Daniel, the most SP-hungry character to ever exist, maybe getting an E1 Bronya is the smarter move. Gepard's cute though

But that's still like 9 months away at least and pitybreaks mean I might not have to choose anyway

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

How is Bronya better for an SP hungry character over Gepard who essentially never uses his skill unless you want to? I'm confused.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Walla posted:

How is Bronya better for an SP hungry character over Gepard who essentially never uses his skill unless you want to? I'm confused.

I mean Bronya's not part of the equation of whether or not I'm bringing Gepard with Daniel, and his existence won't have an effect on my SP anyway since he's gonna replace Luocha or Natasha. But I'm just saying I might want Bronya's E1 more since it gives her a 50% chance of refunding SP on Skill use, so it's gonna make using Bronya with Daniel better.

blizzardvizard fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Jul 27, 2023

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Bronya E1 is better than Bronya. Gepard is not known for buffing ally damage.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 4 days!)

for the daily missions for taking 1 photo, how do you bring up the in-game game camera if there's no photo quest going on atm

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

GateOfD posted:

for the daily missions for taking 1 photo, how do you bring up the in-game game camera if there's no photo quest going on atm

Bring up the phone, then it's a button on the side panel.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

blizzardvizard posted:

I mean Bronya's not part of the equation of whether or not I'm bringing Gepard with Daniel, and his existence won't have an effect on my SP anyway since he's gonna replace Luocha or Natasha. But I'm just saying I might want Bronya's E1 more since it gives her a 50% chance of refunding SP on Skill use, so it's gonna make using Bronya with Daniel better.

That makes sense. I somehow missed that you already had Bronya.

Though I think Asta and Tingyun would be better with new Daniel because they're cheaper. Especially Tingyun of course.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

And that's Daniel ascended! :toot:

My drat ADD took over yesterday and I ascended March 7th. I'm not even using her! Just got Gepard, Welt and Asta left for now. Then it's levels, traces and on to the actual relic grind.

Ayndin
Mar 13, 2010

Walla posted:

That makes sense. I somehow missed that you already had Bronya.

Though I think Asta and Tingyun would be better with new Daniel because they're cheaper. Especially Tingyun of course.

Bronya can work with Dangon as long as you have good SP gen on the rest of the team and accept that you’re not unloading every turn, which I think is true no matter what team comp you’re running. If you shoot for a three turn ult cycle (this involves Dan getting hit regularly and/or a ERR rope which probably isn’t a bad idea anyway) where you blast off two turns, you’re spending 8 (3x2 on Dan, 1x2 on Bronya), getting scrip for 2 from the ult, and generating 2 from basics on the off turn, so you need to make 4 on your other characters. Very doable with Luocha and someone who only wants to spend one every three like Tingyun or Pela or SW.

The problem is that with Bronya Dan may start taking his three turns in two of everyone else’s, and then you’re way over budget.

I suspect Dangon’s best support is Yukong, especially if he’s e2 or she’s e6, but I’m way too lazy to actually run math.

I was pretty all in on Dan because I wanted to try an imaginary team and his animations are great, but with how thorny his teambuilding gets I’ve cooled on him some. Still probably going to give him a shot but maybe not going to the mat for him if I lose 50/50?

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Bronya can enable a 2-turn Ult rotation with Dan without bleeding SP, but you'd use normal basic attack on Dan's normal turn first > Bronya's skill > 3 SP enhanced BA. This way you're getting 60 Energy per turn, enough for a 2-turn Ult with an ERR rope or his LC. Plus it's the same 3 SP you'd be spending on similar hypercarry comps (ie. Seele's skill > Bronya's skill > Seele's skill) except now you're concentrating most of the damage in the second hit, whereas normally half your skill damage per turn isn't buffed by Bronya.

blizzardvizard fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Jul 27, 2023

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

if a character does skill, then ultimate, does that count as 1 turn or 2 turns, or does ults not count and is regarded as 'free'

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Ults are free, buff/debuff durations won't tick down when you're using an Ult for example.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Walla posted:

And that's Daniel ascended! :toot:

My drat ADD took over yesterday and I ascended March 7th. I'm not even using her! Just got Gepard, Welt and Asta left for now. Then it's levels, traces and on to the actual relic grind.

this took me a second because I'm so used to people just referring to 5* dan as daniel (danIL, get it, lmao, etc)

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

but then say for Bronya, her skill only lasts one turn.

If she uses it on a character, and they go Ultimate->Skill. Both attacks would benefit.

But say the character's ult isn't rdy yet, and needs the SP from the skill use. So they do Skill->Ultimate. Would it end up being Skill (buffed)->buff falls off, and then Ult just does regular damage?

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

I think that once you've done your normal turn action, then your buff duration ticks down. So in that scenario the buff will fall off, yeah. I'm not 100% sure on this though.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

GateOfD posted:

But say the character's ult isn't rdy yet, and needs the SP from the skill use. So they do Skill->Ultimate. Would it end up being Skill (buffed)->buff falls off, and then Ult just does regular damage?
i think, and dont quote me on this, if you spam the ult so that it starts before the next character gets their turn, it counts as tacked onto the same turn of the character
like it only goes away once the next character actually starts going
might be wrong

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

Endorph posted:

i think, and dont quote me on this, if you spam the ult so that it starts before the next character gets their turn, it counts as tacked onto the same turn of the character
like it only goes away once the next character actually starts going
might be wrong

you're right but i've noticed exceptions, like I think qingque's attack buff from 4 of a kind only lasts for the duration of the attack itself. so if you use her skill once, attack with Cherry On Top, and then ult before the attack finishes, the ult will get the damage boost from the skill but not the one from 4 of a kind. I think.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Yeah, because the cherry on top buff modifies the attack itself.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Ok I tested it just now with Bronya, Endorph should be correct. Used Bronya's Skill on Dan Heng, used his Skill, then pressed his Ult and the character page still showed Bronya's DMG buff.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Seele rather famously keeps Bronya's buff across all her bonus turns from getting kills. Ults and "this skill does not end your turn" also all use the exact same "extra turn" mechanic.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

guess that's also why for Sushang, it does use turns in the same 'combo' for her skill use, since it says her ult. just advances her turn forward, its not a 'go again' its moving up her next actual turn up the line. So an order of Skill->Ult->Skill will use two turns of buffs

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

Leraika posted:

Yeah, because the cherry on top buff modifies the attack itself.

i didn't think the tooltip was crystal clear on that but it makes sense

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

UHD posted:

i didn't think the tooltip was crystal clear on that but it makes sense

Yeah, a lot of stuff in the skills/traces/etc isn't super well conveyed.

I know a lot of my friends have been having trouble figuring out how exactly daniel works too

Ayndin
Mar 13, 2010

Clarste posted:

Seele rather famously keeps Bronya's buff across all her bonus turns from getting kills. Ults and "this skill does not end your turn" also all use the exact same "extra turn" mechanic.

Yeah, Blade will keep her buff(s, if you have her LC) if you need to pop his skill before laying in and it also notes that it does not end the turn.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Man despite good advice earlier in the thread I've still gotten nowhere cleaning up my 5* artifact collection. It's like my brain just seizes up the moment I make an attempt. Maybe I'd be better at it if I didn't just pick the first option prydwen gave me for character builds, but boy howdy, what a headache.

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

Just like genshin, start by nuking anything with double-def subs, then double-flat subs that aren't SPD. That alone should clear out a ton of them.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Black Griffon posted:

Man despite good advice earlier in the thread I've still gotten nowhere cleaning up my 5* artifact collection. It's like my brain just seizes up the moment I make an attempt. Maybe I'd be better at it if I didn't just pick the first option prydwen gave me for character builds, but boy howdy, what a headache.

So my general advice

1. If it has two flat non spd stats it's trash. Unless it started with 4 and the other two are both crit.

2. Try to at least have it have 2 stats you want, later on you can be even more discriminating but this is a decent starting point.

3. Level it to 9. If 2/3 rolls went to stats you want, take it to 12. If that roll went where you want, congratulations it's a good piece.

4. Crit pieces, spd pieces, and err ropes are super rare basically never trash those unless absolutely necessary.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

is it kafkamas yet

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

GateOfD posted:

guess that's also why for Sushang, it does use turns in the same 'combo' for her skill use, since it says her ult. just advances her turn forward, its not a 'go again' its moving up her next actual turn up the line. So an order of Skill->Ult->Skill will use two turns of buffs

So the game doesn't explain it at all, but there's a difference between a turn and an extra turn. Extra turns occur outside of the actual turn order. Popping an ult off turn is an extra turn. So is Seele's Resurgence, and Quinque's and Blade's Skill. It's safe to assume that Imbibitor Lunae will work the same.

Extra turns do not consume any stacks of buffs placed on the character. Seele will have unlimited uptime on any buffs as long as she can proc Resurgence. You can also abuse this with Quinque and Blade, and I assume IL. You can use their skill and then, before you attack, place a buff on them with an ultimate. So Bronya, Asta, Tingyun and Gepard. This gives Quinque and Blade an extra turn with those buffs active, because using their skill places their next action outside of the turn order.

Using someone's ult during their own turn counts as part of their turn. This only matters for Quinque and Yukong as far as I know. Quinque can spam her skill, pop her ult and then attack. This maximizes her damage and generates the most energy, though it's not always the optimal solution. Yukong however will consume a stack of Roaring Bowstrings if she ults before her turn ends. That's fine if she's E6, or if you build her for damage, but it is something to be aware of if you're trying to give the crit buff to 2 characters after her.

None of these tricks work on Sushang because like you said, she doesn't get an "extra turn". She simply gets an immediate new turn.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Walla posted:

Kind of my point. If you really want a Bronya or Clara or Gepard now, 2 years is a long wait.

I guess I'm just in a weird position where none of the future characters really excite me at all. I really want Lynx but only because she's Serval's little sister. I'm not sure if I would actually use her. Maybe Topaz for the novelty?

Right now I'm hoarding. I want 4 stars more than 5 stars, and Dan's banner has Asta which I need more of so I'm definitely pulling there. Same for Fu Xuan's banner for Pela and Lynx.

I think it depends whether someone plans on playing long-term. I can understanding spending rolls on the standard banner if you're not planning on playing more than another month or two, especially since it would enable you to reach the guaranteed 5* at 300 rolls.

But aiming for specific standard banner characters is absolutely not reasonable, because the chance is just completely miniscule (especially when you account for the standard banner also giving 5* LCs).

Hell, because of the LC thing you'd probably have a similar chance of getting a specific standard banner 5* on both the limited and standard banners! At least the limited banner guarantees a 5* character, so all your 50/50 losses will be standard banner characters (whereas you can get 5* LCs from the standard banner).

Eimi posted:

So my general advice

1. If it has two flat non spd stats it's trash. Unless it started with 4 and the other two are both crit.

This is way too strict IMO. Some characters only really care much about a stat like Effect Rate, and the flat stats can also be okay if a character scales off of them. And if the piece is a chest/feet with an uncommon main stat, there's also more leeway.

If something has a single good substat and only 3 substats to start, I'll usually at least see what the 4th is at level 3. And if it starts with 4 and two are good (which could be Effect Rate or Break Effect for characters who really care about that), that could also be worthwhile.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Jul 27, 2023

Symphoric
Apr 20, 2005

Ytlaya posted:

This is way too strict IMO. Some characters only really care much about a stat like Effect Rate, and the flat stats can also be okay if a character scales off of them. And if the piece is a chest/feet with an uncommon main stat, there's also more leeway.

Crit chests, speed boots, regen ropes: I hold on to pretty much all of them even if the other rolls are bad. Everything else I nuke unless it's real good or if it's better than something someone is wearing already.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

Also don't swap stuff around whenever you get a new piece or you will go crazy. Do it monthly tops imo, especially if you don't need the improvement to maintain progression pace

Genovera
Feb 13, 2014

subterranean
space pterodactyls

I think it will be a while before I worry about substats. I've just been using a purple or gold relic with a good mainstat and set bonus for everyone, leveled up to 12 or 15. I'd like to replace the purples eventually but honestly I'd sooner build up more characters than grind relic exp (with the occasional actually useful relic).

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Ytlaya posted:

I think it depends whether someone plans on playing long-term. I can understanding spending rolls on the standard banner if you're not planning on playing more than another month or two, especially since it would enable you to reach the guaranteed 5* at 300 rolls.

But aiming for specific standard banner characters is absolutely not reasonable, because the chance is just completely miniscule (especially when you account for the standard banner also giving 5* LCs).

Hell, because of the LC thing you'd probably have a similar chance of getting a specific standard banner 5* on both the limited and standard banners! At least the limited banner guarantees a 5* character, so all your 50/50 losses will be standard banner characters (whereas you can get 5* LCs from the standard banner).
I still wouldn't recommend it, but it makes more difference than you'd think. When you're rolling on limited banners, the way the 50/50 and guarantee works means that on average, over time, 66% of your 5-stars are on-banner, and only 33% are from the standard banner.

In Genshin, at least, the standard banner also has an extra pity mechanic: 5-star characters and 5-star weapons both have a separate hard pity at 270 rolls. In other words, you never get a massive streak of weapons as your only 5-stars (or vice versa), where there's obviously no "good luck protection" on event banners. Unclear if it's the same in Star Rail, but everything else about the gacha is, so I assume so.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
Yep that's where I'm at too, my 8 mains are almost all 5* relic'd up and they're all level 12+. I'll worry about grinding out substats and speed boots for everyone after I'm done with all my traces.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

All this talk about relics made me check on my relics.

Turned out I've been using two pieces of purple gear on my Seele for the past month lmao. And yet I've been managing through everything just fine since then. It's nice to min max, but it's not totally completely required to do so (unless you're aiming for MoC 10 then go crazy on that)