Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

one of my really really good friends from high school lives in Japan and translates genderqueer novels and manga and stuff for a living, there really is some good stuff out there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Tarezax posted:

The newest Gundam anime features a lesbian protagonist who gets gay married at the end.

Anime spans a pretty wide range of political viewpoints, from raging nationalists to gay space communists. Taking a single example and claiming it to be representative of the whole is pretty myopic.

The newest Gundam series was written by Ichirō Ōkouchi, who also wrote the Utena novels (Utena is a very sapphic-coded series)

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Anime IS gay. Teenagers in the late 90's were right all along

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
So does these reactionaries simply pretend this kind of content doesn't exist? They seem to make the classic mistake of comparing the best example of the thing they like to the worst examples of the things they hate.

For instance they hate the inclusion of queer characters in western media but don't actually compare queer media between western comics and manga. Instead they seem to pretend that western media shoehorns LGBT stuff in to "virtue signal" and manga just dispenses with it altogether. Western comics insert Mary Sues while manga has "reasonable" depictions of women.

There's also a great amount of irony in the fact that one of the most popular current anime/genres seems to be "Iseki' which is basically a story about some Goony Goon getting teleported to Dungeons and Dragons universe and of course all his Goony skills come in tremendously useful in this new universe. Yet we are to assume these derivative works are somehow " superior" to their western counterparts?

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

The newest Gundam series was written by Ichirō Ōkouchi, who also wrote the Utena novels (Utena is a very sapphic-coded series)

lmao, coded

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Hell, both the major recent US cartoons were basically Isekais, Amphibia and Owl House. I guess Centaurworld too...

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

PurpleXVI posted:

lmao, coded

yeah you're right it's ULTRA GAY

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

BioEnchanted posted:

Hell, both the major recent US cartoons were basically Isekais, Amphibia and Owl House. I guess Centaurworld too...

Alice in Wonderland, Narnia...

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Utena is the gayest anime ever go watch it

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

BioEnchanted posted:

it’s not even limited to cartoons. the good place is an isekai, down to the whole thing being kicked off by getting hit by a truck

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

Yeah that's the thing, "coded" to me implies it isn't super obvious. Utena is super gay and super great.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Rockman Reserve posted:

it’s not even limited to cartoons. the good place is an isekai, down to the whole thing being kicked off by getting hit by a truck

Oh god I never thought of it that way but it does fit. Maybe Wall-E too as he goes from Earth to a ship that's multiple lightyears away and that's a totally alien environment...

BioEnchanted has a new favorite as of 20:29 on Jul 27, 2023

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020

Panfilo posted:

So does these reactionaries simply pretend this kind of content doesn't exist? They seem to make the classic mistake of comparing the best example of the thing they like to the worst examples of the things they hate.

For instance they hate the inclusion of queer characters in western media but don't actually compare queer media between western comics and manga. Instead they seem to pretend that western media shoehorns LGBT stuff in to "virtue signal" and manga just dispenses with it altogether. Western comics insert Mary Sues while manga has "reasonable" depictions of women.

There's also a great amount of irony in the fact that one of the most popular current anime/genres seems to be "Iseki' which is basically a story about some Goony Goon getting teleported to Dungeons and Dragons universe and of course all his Goony skills come in tremendously useful in this new universe. Yet we are to assume these derivative works are somehow " superior" to their western counterparts?

When one of the Guilty Gear devs said confirmed they decided to officially write Bridget as a trans woman a whole bunch of western nerds started a conspiracy theory that it was an evil rogue western translator lying about his works. They are really attached to the conservative paradise Japan that exists in their fantasies.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

mycatscrimes posted:

When one of the Guilty Gear devs said confirmed they decided to officially write Bridget as a trans woman a whole bunch of western nerds started a conspiracy theory that it was an evil rogue western translator lying about his works. They are really attached to the conservative paradise Japan that exists in their fantasies.

Bringing this back from earlier this year:

Read After Burning posted:

As an example, there's a trans woman (or at least she is in the localized version, not sure how her character identified in the original Japanese game) in AI: The Somnium Files. If I remember right, the protagonist is worried his younger sibling will act strangely towards her, with a response something like "Hey, I think anyone who can be who they truly are, even if everyone else is against them, is brave".

Now, most people in this thread, you'd be like "Hey, for an anime game in 2019, that's fairly well done". People elsewhere FLIPPED THEIR poo poo about how the Western localizers shoved in the "Trans agenda", ruining the original Japanese vision, etc.

Except....

https://twitter.com/DrCullenPHD/status/1174150265043210240

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

B33rChiller posted:

please tell me you have little cups sunk into the floor here and there, so your living room is just a putting green.

I was thinking of drawing white lines and making my place a tiny football arena

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

mycatscrimes posted:

bridgette’s arcade mode in gg: strive made me actually cry. lol.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

mycatscrimes posted:

Reminds me a bit of Lily Simpson's most recent boy meets world video where she discusses how strongly Shawn presents as a closeted transwoman, and even Corey decides to get in on the crossdressing plot even though there is no reason for him to do so just because he seems to think it looks fun. Shawn has an actual name for his female self (rather than just going for a feminized version of Shawn like 'Shauna'), and a practiced voice for her as well and he knows how to move so that he can pass effortlessly. The episode makes it clear even though it means it as a joke that he's thought about this a lot. As a result what used to read as a person dressing as the other gender for a cheap laugh, nowadays, reads as an egg cracking (to borrow a commonly used metaphor among the community) and Shawn/Veronica at the very least coming out as genderfluid. Lily also considers Shawn and Topanga as great allies.

BioEnchanted has a new favorite as of 20:43 on Jul 27, 2023

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

credburn posted:

I put astro turf down as a living room carpet and it was a fuckin great decision.

Downside is, the little plastic grass gets everywhere. Like, there's fake grass in the bathroom I have to sweep up.

what the gently caress man

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Panfilo posted:

Not to mention the fact that I've seen anime/manga depict some minorities as shockingly racist, like black characters being these donut lipped ogres. I mean look at Terraformars ffs! Or *shudder* Goblin Slayer. It's funny how anime/manga as a whole gets praised as being somehow so much more artistically "pure" than western counterparts but there's some pretty goddamn cringe counter examples.

There's anime/manga I enjoy for being visually beautiful/having a compelling story, but for every Spirited Away there's a hundred cookie cutter and or egregiously culturally insensitive/misogynist pap.

Considering the source of that post, I'd be surprised if they were against cultural insensitivity tbh.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

credburn posted:

I was thinking of drawing white lines and making my place a tiny football arena

Get some RC cars, and play a little diy rocket league.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

BioEnchanted posted:

Oh god I never thought of it that way but it does fit. Maybe Wall-E too as he goes from Earth to a ship that's multiple lightyears away and that's a totally alien environment...

Genre isn't just a checklist of tropes, it's an ongoing evolution of related works borrowing and remixing ideas that is related to, but not strictly defined or circumscribed by, the name of the genre. Wall-E isn't part of the "isekai conversation", so no. (For that matter, neither is Narnia; it's part of a similar genre tradition in english-language literature usually called "portal fantasy".)

Even if we do take the "checklist of tropes" approach, Wall-E doesn't involve Wall-E's soul/consciousness/whatever being mysteriously and/or traumatically transported to a new world and body; he physically travels to the ship.

credburn posted:

I put astro turf down as a living room carpet and it was a fuckin great decision.

Downside is, the little plastic grass gets everywhere. Like, there's fake grass in the bathroom I have to sweep up.

what the gently caress

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

teen witch posted:

Turf or Astroturf?
It's turf or nothin'.

Panfilo posted:

Not to mention the fact that I've seen anime/manga depict some minorities as shockingly racist, like black characters being these donut lipped ogres. I mean look at Terraformars ffs! Or *shudder* Goblin Slayer. It's funny how anime/manga as a whole gets praised as being somehow so much more artistically "pure" than western counterparts but there's some pretty goddamn cringe counter examples.

There's anime/manga I enjoy for being visually beautiful/having a compelling story, but for every Spirited Away there's a hundred cookie cutter and or egregiously culturally insensitive/misogynist pap.
I guarantee the person complaining that women "defy cultural roles" and white people are sometimes portrayed negatively is 100% okay with racist and misogynist imagery in his manga.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
https://twitter.com/theserfstv/status/1684600056291442688

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe

I don't understand these pictures. The words don't help.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Violet_Sky posted:

dude with diaper fetish hates trans people.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
For context on the doll:
https://twitter.com/benryanwriter/status/1661832600942440448

What is the walrus thing mentioned in the shop description? I assume some stupid right-wing meme?

Edit: Wait, he was the one who wrote the transphobic walrus kids book, wasn't he? :doh:

Read After Burning has a new favorite as of 23:40 on Jul 27, 2023

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Violet_Sky posted:

It's the internet equivalent of one the radioactive waste warning signs.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

Violet_Sky posted:

Here you go:

code:
No complete linkages found.
++++Time                                          0.03 seconds (17.76 total)
Found 39 linkages (10 with no P.P. violations) at null count 2
  Linkage 1, cost vector = (UNUSED=2 DIS=4 AND=0 LEN=39)

+--------------------------------------------------------------------
    |                      +---------------------------MVp---------------
    |                      +-----------------------Osn-------------------
    |                      |                      +------------Ds--------
    +------Wd------+       |                      |     +---------AN-----
    |        +--A--+---Ss--+--MVa--+              |     |         +----AN
    |        |     |       |       |              |     |         |      
LEFT-WALL matt.a Walsh filmed.v himself [judging] a diaper.n wrestling.n 

--Xp---------------------------------------------------------------------+
-----------+                                                             |
---+       |                                                             |
---+       |                                   +---------Os---------+    |
---+       +------Jp------+                    |   +-------Ds-------+    |
---+       |       +--AN--+----Mp----+QI*+-Ss*w+   |      +----AN---+    |
   |       |       |      |          |   |     |   |      |         |    |
match.n between adult.n men.n [one] of which has.v a swastika.n tattoo.n . 

Constituent tree:

(S (NP Matt Walsh)
   (VP filmed
       (ADVP himself)
       judging
       (NP a diaper wrestling match)
       (PP between
           (NP (NP adult men)
               one
               (PP of
                   (SBAR (WHNP which)
                         (S (VP has
                                (NP a swastika tattoo))))))))
   .)

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

Utena is definitely gay, but it's also probably everything else as well at the same time.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Platystemon posted:

I can’t believe that no one noticed that Ben didn’t actually burn Barbie dolls. He burnt Polly Pocket dolls. What a goof!

Wow it turns out that Ben knew something that we didn’t.

https://twitter.com/PopCrave/status/1684257564526280704

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Read After Burning posted:

I was passing through the manga section of my local bookstore last month, and I was pleased to see a whole section of LGBT+ manga! As in, "this is a biographical-style story of a gay/trans protagonist", not a bunch of yaoi.

This was the main one, which is apparently quite sweet (despite the jokey-seeming title):
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I_Think_Our_Son_Is_Gay

I also spotted this, by the same person who did Rose of Versailles (also a great LGBT+ story). This is apparently manga's first trans protagonist! (Unfortunately, the title of the story is the main character's dead name, but for the 1980s, this is probably still hella "woke".)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Claudine_(manga)

There's a lesser known manga called The Witch's Servant and the Demon Lord's Horns which I've really enjoyed. Sorta starts out as your typical fantasy fare but it eventually dives into all this gender exploration stuff which is the real focus it was building up to. I'll caution that the early chapters are pretty rough if not outright cringey, and the titular demon lord is a massive creep, but once it gets to the good stuff it's extremely cute and wholesome. Also it has some pages that go pretty hard, and others that are just funny

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

ToxicFrog posted:

Genre isn't just a checklist of tropes, it's an ongoing evolution of related works borrowing and remixing ideas that is related to, but not strictly defined or circumscribed by, the name of the genre. Wall-E isn't part of the "isekai conversation", so no. (For that matter, neither is Narnia; it's part of a similar genre tradition in english-language literature usually called "portal fantasy".)

Even if we do take the "checklist of tropes" approach, Wall-E doesn't involve Wall-E's soul/consciousness/whatever being mysteriously and/or traumatically transported to a new world and body; he physically travels to the ship.
I've definitely seen isekais start with portal travel. They're typically about mundane people suddenly appearing in "another world" they're somehow well-suited to. You're adding "their real body doesn't come along" for some reason. Wall-E isn't one, but in the sense of traveling to "another world" Narnia absolutely is even if the term didn't exist yet. John Carter of Mars is an isekai series.

The Matrix isn't an isekai because Neo returns to his original world with powers.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Platystemon posted:

Wow it turns out that Ben knew something that we didn’t.

https://twitter.com/PopCrave/status/1684257564526280704

Odds of it sharing a release date with a biopic about Edward Teller?

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

B33rChiller posted:

Get some RC cars, and play a little diy rocket league.

I play that goofy Mario Kart Switch game on it

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
https://twitter.com/romanhelmetguy/status/1684283163638366212?t=mP_grmYlT1whZLH54JJvSA&s=19

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

I dunno, learning that people throughout history were awesome and also sucked in the same ways we do now is one of the things I love about history. Ancient Romans shitposting in graffiti form in Pompeii, fandom feuds over whose god is best, that one time one pharaoh forced his own monotheistic canon on everyone else and then everyone went back to the old ways after he died, etc

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
My favorite was the Phoenician Yelp review about the lovely copper some merchant was selling.

But it's pretty ridiculous to claim people aren't interested in history unless it is completely whitewashed. I feel like this meme is actually :qq: "Why don't reactionaries want to study history in college?"

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

The most interesting thing about history is learning that people back then were just like us

But we are kinda poo poo, and so were they.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Panfilo posted:

My favorite was the Phoenician Yelp review about the lovely copper some merchant was selling.

But it's pretty ridiculous to claim people aren't interested in history unless it is completely whitewashed. I feel like this meme is actually :qq: "Why don't reactionaries want to study history in college?"

Ea-Nasir is known by name on Tumblr because it's just funny.