Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Nah, I looked up dzus and I don't think that's what he means.

I think they're just called furniture cams/cam-locks.

Edit: Well that's a lovely page snipe...have a meme:

DrBouvenstein has a new favorite as of 16:10 on Jul 27, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

DrBouvenstein posted:

It's these worthless loving things

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

teen witch posted:

Does anyone remember jpg2000 or did I hallucinate that as a kid

Like I know the answer but I want to feel affirmed

I briefly considered responding with a meme saved in JPEG 2000 but then I realized that even if it had better browser support I'd have to figure out an image host that both accepted it and didn't convert it to regular JPEG. Please accept this instead.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

DrBouvenstein posted:

Edit: Well that's a lovely page snipe...have a meme:

This is a poo poo meme because the whole joke of the Canyonero is that it's an obscenely large car and Ben is not big at all. You should have just left the snipe, you fool

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Heath posted:

This is a poo poo meme because the whole joke of the Canyonero is that it's an obscenely large car and Ben is not big at all. You should have just left the snipe, you fool

say hi to your wife for me, mr. shapiro

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Heath posted:

meme destroyed with facts and logic

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Relyssa posted:

:owned:

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

teen witch posted:

Yes I remember being excited that it would help with load times on my lovely dial up. I think it was really patent encumbered or something and was never really supported by anything because of that.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

teen witch posted:

it never took off in general, but the standard format for packaging movies for digital theatres stores each frame individually in JPG2000 format for some reason

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Cinema_Package

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uO8SeXh_LaA

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Lib and let die posted:

It's these worthless loving things

I loving despise these screws, holy poo poo I totally forgot about them

Killer robot posted:

I briefly considered responding with a meme saved in JPEG 2000 but then I realized that even if it had better browser support I'd have to figure out an image host that both accepted it and didn't convert it to regular JPEG. Please accept this instead.

I feel better now thank you

repiv posted:

it never took off in general, but the standard format for packaging movies for digital theatres stores each frame individually in JPG2000 format for some reason

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Cinema_Package

Could be why I saw it on Adobe and Corel products and like, nowhere else.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

You put slot/phillips in F tier, slot and phillips/slot ind in D tier, and square/slot and six-lobe/slot in B tier, but slotted in S tier.

Who hurt you?

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

God tier: tack welding a piece of hex bar to the top of your fastener then putting a ring spanner on it.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

I thought god tier was liquid nails

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

RFC2324 posted:

I thought god tier was liquid nails

god tier is an oxy-acetylene torch

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

CainFortea posted:

You put slot/phillips in F tier, slot and phillips/slot ind in D tier, and square/slot and six-lobe/slot in B tier, but slotted in S tier.

Who hurt you?

plain slotted screws are simple and beautiful. they're the easiest to make. they can be turned in a pinch with a coin or the back of a knife. they can handle a surprising amount of torque if you use the properly sized driver (which almost nobody ever does). they look great on elegant vintage tools. S tier.

combination drive screws are bastards designed only to appeal to people who won't just use the right loving tool for the job. they're all gross.

slotting a socket head screw (six lobe or square) is ugly but it doesn't make the socket head that much weaker, and socket heads are the best design in general, so they get a B.

philips is F tier and slotting a philips only makes it even shittier. really slotted philips should be Z tier

the slot/philips/external hex are absolutely depraved triple-combo designs. but external hex bolts are good, so at least you can ignore the awful things happening inside the head. they're still ugly and stupid so they still get a D

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat

Relyssa posted:

very good Mr Shapiro

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

They look soooo happy

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

ok, i hope this concludes the discussion
Move robertson screw to S++++ and slotted to D.

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Just chillin' in the sink

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

CopperHound posted:

Move robertson screw to S++++ and slotted to D.

I assume everyone rating square/Robertson over six-point/Torx are Canadian.

I get it, you guys love Robertson, but Torx is superior in every way.

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

Torx all the way for wood screws. I've sank many hundreds of pounds of screws into wood and torx is fantastic.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Pataphysics is a hell of a thing

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

I didn't think the grimace trend was astroturfed, but it was also funny to see people be like "you think mcdonalds wants their product to be associated with killing people and transporting them to a hell dimension?" as if following the trend didn't involve purchasing multiple grimace shakes to dump them all over the place.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Poops Mcgoots posted:

I didn't think the grimace trend was astroturfed, but it was also funny to see people be like "you think mcdonalds wants their product to be associated with killing people and transporting them to a hell dimension?" as if following the trend didn't involve purchasing multiple grimace shakes to dump them all over the place.
I think the fact that it's not actually something they would have wanted their brand associated with is in fact a good reason why they didn't astroturf it

It ended up working okay for them but I don't think any marketing person would have dared suggest something like that because it could have easily backfired

mystes has a new favorite as of 20:06 on Jul 27, 2023

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

There's a product at work where they used hex screws instead of torx that annoys me because they keep getting stripped. The actual problem is people using "close enough" ball-ended drivers, but stopping that would be way harder than changing the screws to sidestep it

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Tell me more about stripping hexes

for fucks sake
Jan 23, 2016

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

teen witch posted:

Tell me more about stripping hexes

It almost always involves a human sacrifice unfortunately, sorry if you though you were getting out of this one with clean hands.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

wait no! watch out!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

Stripping hexes is a common problem when you accidentally use a pentagram rather than a hexagram