Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BDawg
May 19, 2004

In Full Stereo Symphony

Bar Ran Dun posted:

A lot of cities are actually technically multiple cities close together and not one city. For example the Seattle area is probably bigger than the Columbus area or the Charlotte area. But Charlotte and Columbus proper are bigger than Seattle proper.

Last I looked, Charlotte proper is bigger than Atlanta proper. Atlanta is the definition of suburban sprawl.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queer Grenadier
Jun 14, 2023

THIS GUY HAS A POOPY BOOM BOOM

HE NOT WARSHING HE HOLES LOL

BiggerBoat posted:

Congress...good?

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/put-american-public-first-senators-211500437.html

'Put the American public first': Senators propose law that bans members of Congress and executive officials — including the president — from trading stocks

I skimmed but couldn’t find it. Does this still allow for total market index funds (such as total stock, S&P500, etc)? I’m all for banning specific stocks, but I’d hope they can still benefit from total market exposure.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Queer Grenadier posted:

I skimmed but couldn’t find it. Does this still allow for total market index funds (such as total stock, S&P500, etc)? I’m all for banning specific stocks, but I’d hope they can still benefit from total market exposure.

There is some risk of insider trading on that, too.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

BiggerBoat posted:

Congress...good?

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/put-american-public-first-senators-211500437.html

'Put the American public first': Senators propose law that bans members of Congress and executive officials — including the president — from trading stocks

This is the third version of it they have tried to pass. It usually dies because there are competing versions and legitimate questions about how you enforce it.

Do you ban children from owning stock? Daughters in law? Spouses? What about family members who work for tech companies or are executives who are required to be paid mostly in stock? Does a blind trust count? How does congress determine what qualifies as a truly blind trust and verify every trust? Do you do anything with taxes/losses if you force someone to sell stocks at a huge loss or with a huge tax bill because they got elected in November and the market crashed in January? If someone doesn't sell their stock in time, then do you just not seat them? Is that even constitutional? Does the SEC regulate congressional trades? Does it apply to staff members? Families of staff members? How do you enforce it against them if you do?

I would wait to see if it passes this time before getting excited. They have tried a few times and it always gets caught up because parts of it are difficult to enforce, some people don't want to do it all, and some people can't agree how far it should go.

OddObserver posted:

There is some risk of insider trading on that, too.

Only if you are blowing up the entire economy or creating a historically high single day of growth through some news that nobody else in the world knows about except congress. Even in those scenarios, you aren't going to get more than a 3-5% bump to every index in a single day for something semi-secret. Whereas, you can get a 300% change in a single day from an individual stock. So, even in the scenarios where it does happen, the financial benefit is minimal and rarer than an individual stock changing price.

Treasury bonds and index funds are fine. Individual stocks is a terrible idea. Even if almost nobody uses the information to effectively insider trade, leaving a loophole like that is silly.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Jul 27, 2023

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?
Here's the text of the bill in question. It looks like covered officials could still trade mutual funds and treasuries, and anything they had upon entering office could get sold (within 180 days) or placed in a trust, but no more buying or selling after that. Penalties would start at 10% of the transaction value, per transaction.

Queer Grenadier
Jun 14, 2023

THIS GUY HAS A POOPY BOOM BOOM

HE NOT WARSHING HE HOLES LOL

Quorum posted:

Here's the text of the bill in question. It looks like covered officials could still trade mutual funds and treasuries, and anything they had upon entering office could get sold (within 180 days) or placed in a trust, but no more buying or selling after that. Penalties would start at 10% of the transaction value, per transaction.

Okay good, that’s reasonable.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The NYT platformed modern-day Lee Atwater Christopher Rufo today. He is more responsible for the current CRT/DEI frenzy as anyone in the country. Even considering the poo poo they’ve pulled in the past I’m still nonplussed. Why not give an op Ed to Stephen Miller? Or Richard Spencer?

Paywalled but I’m not copying any of it because nobody wants to read that poo poo.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

NBC is reporting that the Special Counsel has informed Trump's legal team that he will be indicted for his role in January 6th and his campaign's plan to send fake electoral college voters who would give the electoral votes of states Biden won to Trump in an attempt to change the outcome of the election.

https://twitter.com/BreakingNews/status/1684584883748757504

quote:

Trump has said he is the target of a criminal investigation into the efforts to overturn his electoral defeat to Joe Biden.

Former President Donald Trump announced last week that he received a letter notifying him he is the target of a grand jury examining the Jan. 6 riot and efforts to overturn the 2020 election.

The letter mentions three federal statutes: deprivation of rights, conspiracy to defraud the U.S. and witness tampering, two attorneys with knowledge of the document said.

Special counsel Jack Smith has already obtained an indictment of the former president, charging him in a Florida court with allegedly mishandling the nation's top secrets after he left office. And Trump was indicted in New York this year in a case centered on $130,000 paid to adult film star Stormy Daniels during the closing days of the 2016 presidential campaign. He has pleaded not guilty in both cases.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

Mellow Seas posted:

The NYT platformed modern-day Lee Atwater Christopher Rufo today. He is more responsible for the current CRT/DEI frenzy as anyone in the country. Even considering the poo poo they’ve pulled in the past I’m still nonplussed. Why not give an op Ed to Stephen Miller? Or Richard Spencer?

Paywalled but I’m not copying any of it because nobody wants to read that poo poo.

I don't know, it's hard to beat when they published a Tom Cotton op ed calling for using "overwhelming force" against the George Floyd protests on June 3rd.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Can’t believe that there’s a racist named Tom Cotton. If you told me that you wrote a novel where he teamed up with another racist named Jefferson Beauregard (Sessions), I’d tell you to change the names because it’s too unbelievable.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
what ever happened to Sessions? were the jokes about him being an evil regressive imp thats banished back to his dimension with legal weed laws actually true?

also I think he's a "The Third"

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

PhazonLink posted:

what ever happened to Sessions? were the jokes about him being an evil regressive imp thats banished back to his dimension with legal weed laws actually true?

also I think he's a "The Third"

He tried to return to the Senate in 2020, but lost to Tommy "military readiness is less important than scoring pro-life points" Tuberville, largely thanks to Trump interfering as revenge for his resignation as AG. He hasn't done anything of interest since, so it is indeed possible he returned to his home dimension without anyone noticing

celadon
Jan 2, 2023

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

This is the third version of it they have tried to pass. It usually dies because there are competing versions and legitimate questions about how you enforce it.

Do you ban children from owning stock? Daughters in law? Spouses? What about family members who work for tech companies or are executives who are required to be paid mostly in stock? Does a blind trust count? How does congress determine what qualifies as a truly blind trust and verify every trust? Do you do anything with taxes/losses if you force someone to sell stocks at a huge loss or with a huge tax bill because they got elected in November and the market crashed in January? If someone doesn't sell their stock in time, then do you just not seat them? Is that even constitutional? Does the SEC regulate congressional trades? Does it apply to staff members? Families of staff members? How do you enforce it against them if you do?

I would wait to see if it passes this time before getting excited. They have tried a few times and it always gets caught up because parts of it are difficult to enforce, some people don't want to do it all, and some people can't agree how far it should go.

Only if you are blowing up the entire economy or creating a historically high single day of growth through some news that nobody else in the world knows about except congress. Even in those scenarios, you aren't going to get more than a 3-5% bump to every index in a single day for something semi-secret. Whereas, you can get a 300% change in a single day from an individual stock. So, even in the scenarios where it does happen, the financial benefit is minimal and rarer than an individual stock changing price.

Treasury bonds and index funds are fine. Individual stocks is a terrible idea. Even if almost nobody uses the information to effectively insider trade, leaving a loophole like that is silly.

What about a 100% tax rate on any gains above the market average for members of congress or the administration, or hell anyone touching someone touching someone touching someone with a hand on any lever of power. If you want to be generous let them get like, top quintile of returns or something instead of average. Then they can insider trade all they want the extra money just gets siphoned back into the state.

I assume this type of extremely weird and conditional taxation policy is not legal though.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
I don’t really think any restriction on anyone other than the person actually holding office would ever pass constitutional muster.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

New York State had a fairly aggressive state-wide housing plan to spur new housing that was recently killed.

That means that any new housing or zoning plans went back to the local level and things are going about as well as they usually have.

Under the original state plan, Huntington in Long Island would have built 2,000 new homes. They currently have built 26 for the year and just shut down even more housing projects and the ability for homeowners to build "in-law suites" or any new accessory dwelling units on their property.

https://twitter.com/SamMellins/status/1684602676426702858

quote:

Long Island Town of Huntington Says No to More Apartments

At a heated town meeting, a resident warned “pedophiles or criminals” would move into new housing.

“I JUST WANT to make sure that there will be no migrants, pedophiles, or criminals moving in, because that’s what I’m afraid of,” said one woman at a June public hearing on a proposal to allow more housing in the Long Island town of Huntington. She wasn’t the only speaker to mention pedophiles.

A few minutes later, an elderly man sporting a “World War ii Veteran” hat took his turn at the podium.

“Please, please, don’t let this happen here,” he said. “This isn’t the country I fought for. You’re thinking of changing the complexion of this beautiful community.”

For nearly three hours, they and dozens of other speakers railed against the idea that was the reason for the meeting: a proposed law to allow some homeowners in the town to convert their basements or garages into rental apartments.

Councilmember Joan Cergol, a Democrat, had advanced the measure in the hopes of putting a dent in the housing shortage in Huntington, which has made it difficult for businesses to find employees and for young people and seniors on fixed incomes to find places they can afford. It was supported by two of her colleagues, Councilmembers Dave Bennardo and Sal Ferro, both Republicans.

“My goal was to make this a bipartisan measure because I didn’t want it to be politicized,” Cergol told New York Focus. “I certainly was not prepared for a very organized opposition coming out that night.”

The measure had been in the works for nearly a year. Before the hearing, it looked like it had a solid chance at passing, since three out of the five councilmembers supported it. But the torrent of opposition from speakers turned one of them against the bill, killing it for at least the time being.

Councilmember Ferro told New York Focus that he was horrified by some of the speakers, whom he described as bigoted and racist. But other comments from people concerned about preserving single family zoning and avoiding too much density “did hit home.”

“That night, my mind was changed,” he said. “Too many issues were brought out that need to be addressed.”

Without his support, it’s unlikely that the measure can pass.

“I’m the train conductor, I’m in the front and ready to go out, but I need my two passengers,” Cergol said. She said she also hasn’t heard anything about advancing the bill from Bennardo, who didn’t respond to requests for comment.

Huntington’s laws allowed the creation of basement apartments until 2019, when the town banned them, citing safety risks. The basement apartments already in existence were allowed to remain.

The bill would have allowed new apartments if the owner lived on the property, the floor space was between 300 and 750 square feet, the unit met building and fire safety codes, and the apartment came with enough parking, among other requirements.

Basement and garage apartments, also known as “accessory dwelling units,” or “ADUs” have gained popularity across the country as a way to increase housing options while preserving low-density suburban neighborhoods. Eight states have passed laws to prevent localities from banning ADUs in recent years. Governor Kathy Hochul proposed doing the same in her 2022 budget plan, but quickly withdrew the measure after it was met with intense opposition from local elected officials.

This year, Hochul proposed a plan that would have required towns across the state to add a set amount of new housing, and threatened to override their local zoning laws if they refused. Despite Hochul’s emphasis on the issue, the plan was nixed by state legislators and local officials, especially on Long Island. Many local electeds said that they, not the state government, should be in charge of housing strategies, and that a mandate from Albany was unnecessary.

“I was really proud knowing that Huntington on Long Island was going to be the first municipality to step forward following this big pushback against Albany,” Cergol said. “I’m very discouraged. I’m just disappointed.”

The future for Cergol’s proposal doesn’t seem bright. Town Supervisor Ed Smyth, a Republican, opposes the measure, as does the Huntington Republican Party. Cergol is leaving office at the end of the year.

“I was pretty excited about the ADUs but obviously you can’t get your hopes up too much on Long Island,” said Hunter Gross, president of the Huntington Township Housing Coalition.

Huntington, a town of 200,000 people that covers an area larger than Brooklyn, has built very little housing in recent years. Last year, it issued 149 housing permits, according to U.S. census data — less than one for every 1,000 residents. So far this year, it has issued only 26. Under Hochul’s housing plan, it would have been required to add about 2,000 new homes over three years.

Huntington’s population is also more than three quarters white, with Black and Latino people comprising less than 15 percent of the town’s population. In 1988, the Supreme Court ruled that Huntington had violated the federal Fair Housing Act by limiting apartments to a Black neighborhood, and ordered the town to allow an affordable housing development in a white neighborhood. That project broke ground early this year.

While he no longer supports the apartment proposal, Ferro said he wants to look into other ways to build housing in Huntington, such as building out town centers.

For Ferro, the housing shortage is personal: two of his three adult children, aged 22 and 31, still live with him, because they can’t afford housing in the area.

“They all love Long Island. It’s where they grew up,” Ferro said. “I say to myself, where are you guys gonna be? Everybody can’t live in million dollar homes.”

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
How is bending over backward to satisfy the NIMBY's the prudent choice when faced with the very obvious housing shortage in this country?

It's sickening how cowardly politicians are when it comes to NIMBY's.

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

New York State had a fairly aggressive state-wide housing plan to spur new housing that was recently killed.

That means that any new housing or zoning plans went back to the local level and things are going about as well as they usually have.

Under the original state plan, Huntington in Long Island would have built 2,000 new homes. They currently have built 26 for the year and just shut down even more housing projects and the ability for homeowners to build "in-law suites" or any new accessory dwelling units on their property.

quote:

A few minutes later, an elderly man sporting a “World War ii Veteran” hat took his turn at the podium.

“Please, please, don’t let this happen here,” he said. “This isn’t the country I fought for. You’re thinking of changing the complexion of this beautiful community.”

Yes it is you dusty old motherfucker! It is the country you fought for!

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Complexion, eh?

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Mustang posted:

How is bending over backward to satisfy the NIMBY's the prudent choice when faced with the very obvious housing shortage in this country?

Suburban white people really need a productive hobby.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Mustang posted:

Every single politician that isn’t term-limited or eyeing retirement has the same #1 goal: win re-election. NIMBYs vote (and show up to town halls, etc.) at much, much higher rates than people would would benefit from housing initiatives.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

C2C - 2.0 posted:

Yes it is you dusty old motherfucker! It is the country you fought for!

Nobody said he fought on the Allies' side :v:

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
“No apartments in my town - what about my land value???” the NIMBYs cry, in country where land value is correlated pretty much 1:1 with population density.

Tequila25
May 12, 2001
Ask me about tapioca.

Zwabu posted:

Complexion, eh?

Literally complaining about the neighborhood's changing skin color. And somehow they don't think that's racist.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

Suburban white people really need a productive hobby.

Part of the reason NIMBY-ism is so successful is that it transcends partisanship, geography, and race. It also appeals to status quo bias because people only think of what they could lose.

- People in apartments oppose more housing because they think it will increase traffic or crime.

- People with houses oppose it because it will devalue their house.

- White people oppose it because they think it will bring in "undesirable elements" to the neighborhood.

- Black people oppose it because they think it will lead to gentrification.

- Rural people oppose it because they don't want to turn into a city.

- Urban people oppose it because they don't want it to change the "character" of their neighborhood.

My favorite example is in Washington D.C. when the owner of a strip mall wanted to tear down the strip mall to build more apartments. Some people tried to prevent the owner from tearing down the strip mall by trying to get an "Asian dry cleaner" that opened in 1998 declared a "culturally or historically significant site" and prevent it from being torn down.

On the anti-building side, you had local landlords, the black homeowner's association, the D.C. Republican party, a bunch of white liberal homeowners, and a bunch of left-wing anti-gentrification activists.

On the pro-building side, you had the NRA (the restaurant one, not the gun one), the Urban League, the Cato institute, the owner of the strip mall, a construction company CEO, the NAACP, and the National Low-Income Housing Coalition.

NIMBY-ism makes weird coalitions.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Jul 27, 2023

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Zwabu posted:

Complexion, eh?
I read that and immediately heard a loud dog whistle

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

Mellow Seas posted:

“No apartments in my town - what about my land value???” the NIMBYs cry, in country where land value is correlated pretty much 1:1 with population density.

i just looked on zillow and the only thing under 500k in huntington is: 60 year old 3/2 that needs to be completely gutted or torn down (360k), 1br apartment (430k), 50 foreclosure sale being sold as-is (430k), and empty lot (450k). you can see how more supply might disrupt this state of affairs (which, indeed, is the goal of building more houses).

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

quote:

“Please, please, don’t let this happen here,” he said.
all i'm thinking of is all those people, children begging for gun protection, disabled people begging for healthcare, people in general begging for the government to help and respect them while a group of fat old rich fucks scroll through their phones.
this old gently caress begs, with tears in his eyes, not to let brown people move into his neighborhood and those same fat old rich fucks cry and cry and cry and immediately give in.
gently caress these monsters

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Zwabu posted:

Complexion, eh?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3VIT7crQm9s

Capn Jobe
Jan 18, 2003

That's right. Here it is. But it's like you always have compared the sword, the making of the sword, with the making of the character. Cuz the stronger, the stronger it will get, right, the stronger the steel will get, with all that, and the same as with the character.
Soiled Meat
We should have made this decision awhile ago, but it's getting harder for the US to avoid having to choose whether housing is 1. A basic need that everyone should have, or 2. An investment. In the long term it can't be both; almost by definition, an investment has to be scarce.

We've tried to have it both ways, and look how that's going. The city I lived in until last year had not built any housing in decades, and was facing some kind of maintenance crisis regarding the sewers which was causing everyone's water bills to climb dramatically. At all of the public comment sessions, they were essentially pleading with people not to oppose new housing, as the increase in the tax base was massively necessary.

They ended up building a number of new complexes, so I'm glad there was some improvement. But holy crap did people freak out about it. Just a complete lack of self awareness.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog
We literally have vacant lots and abandoned/sketchy motels here in Southern California, sitting and rotting for decades, but NIMBYs put up a helluva fight if anyone tries to develop the land into housing.

Ironically, there is a toxic Superfund fight that a developer has been fighting to build on for years, which I am opposed to because it's literally a toxic pit, but with the new eased building restrictions in our state they are trying for it one more time. Of course, the original plan was luxury condos so who knows how they are using the law for affordable housing to build their condos.

Also, the local city council is voting to allow for taller buildings to be developed in the area and NIMBYs are bitching about their views of the neighboring mountains being obstructed, among other complaints. And then they will complain about all the unhoused folks in the area bringing down property values. At least some neighbors are getting on board, one dude on a corner lot built a whole new house where his backyard used to be. I'm all for it, we hope do so something like that someday soon once our kids are grown.

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

I don’t really think any restriction on anyone other than the person actually holding office would ever pass constitutional muster.

I think *maybe* having their spouses being banned from owning stock might due to all the legal weridness that goes with marraige, but that's about it.

Certainly saying that their grown children or other relations won't pass consitutional muster.

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?
That gif of Bugs Bunny cutting off Florida but it's Long Island instead

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

FlamingLiberal posted:

I read that and immediately heard a loud dog whistle

I mean... that's not even a dog whistle. That's just pretty straight up saying the racism.

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

I know we need more housing, but if there was suddenly a big push for ADUs near me, I'd be worried about them all turning into Air BnBs instead of apartments.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
There's a separate thread with a lot of resources and information on the urban planning issue.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Twincityhacker posted:

I think *maybe* having their spouses being banned from owning stock might due to all the legal weridness that goes with marraige, but that's about it.

Much as I would love to, you can't pass a bill specifically targeting Rick Scott.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Saw the video of McConnell “freezing” up just now. Very cool that our leaders in congress all have one foot in the door towards death.

Video https://www.newsweek.com/mitch-mcconnell-resign-health-freezes-1815654

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

quote:

Well at least these leathery old bints get REAL clear REAL fast about what's really up for them about this lmao, complexion

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

Boris Galerkin posted:

Saw the video of McConnell “freezing” up just now. Very cool that our leaders in congress all have one foot in the door towards death.

they released extended audio of his speech and it clears up what he was going through

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

I AM GRANDO posted:

Can’t believe that there’s a racist named Tom Cotton. If you told me that you wrote a novel where he teamed up with another racist named Jefferson Beauregard (Sessions), I’d tell you to change the names because it’s too unbelievable.

That was for real my grandmother's second husband's name so I guess...my step grandfather or however that works.

He was from Mississippi and as racist as it gets. He was an rear end in a top hat.

Boris Galerkin posted:

Yep

https://www.cnn.com/2023/07/27/politics/dianne-feinstein-senate-committee-vote/index.html

Feinstein gets confused in Senate Appropriations hearing and has to be prodded to vote

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Jul 28, 2023