Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Milo and POTUS posted:

if i stop swimming, I will die. and that keeps you going. Or doesnt for some people.

God I'd kill for a public pool near me

More like if you stop swimming, a strong person with little clothing is gonna get physical with you.

Also, I believe you need to kill some Norwegians specifically to get exiled to Iceland, where every village has an outdoor pool heated by lava. Or just move to Iceland without killing anyone if you're a coward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eeenmachine
Feb 2, 2004

BUY MORE CRABS
What in the hell kind of road design is this? Probably solely so they could save the parking?

https://jalopnik.com/road-design-that-sends-cars-into-bike-lanes-demonstrate-1850679556

mystes
May 31, 2006

eeenmachine posted:

What in the hell kind of road design is this? Probably solely so they could save the parking?

https://jalopnik.com/road-design-that-sends-cars-into-bike-lanes-demonstrate-1850679556
I'm glad you asked that question. Please feel free to watch this hour long youtube video about them
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gzHL9KzFPQ&t=748s

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Exercise monitors like Fitbit also massively overstate calories burned for obvious reasons. Only accurate ones are Garmin iirc

I got a new Garmin thing mostly for the sleep stuff and it claimed I burned like 200 in half an hour of lazily practicing turns in a parking lot (I am just now learning to ride a bike), so I do not think I would trust its numbers either.

Related: does it matter what I get in terms of knee/elbow pads? The end of that session made it very clear that I need them, probably looking at another week before I have enough skin back on my knee to get out there again and I'm just starting to make some real progress so this sucks.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

were you doing sick kick flip turns? That might have burned 200 calories.

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

any post can be a kannapost
if you want it to be

were you doing sick kick flip turns? That might have burned 200 calories.

i dont think you can kick flip with a bicycle

Apr 7, 2003

not with that attitude you can't

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

someone probably can, i definitely can't

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires

eeenmachine posted:

You know your bike infrastructure is great when even the car website is like "what is this car brained bullshit"

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

if you want it to be

Irony.or.Death posted:

someone probably can, i definitely can't

it might be worth lowering the seat so you can put a foot down while still sitting on it
you will look a bit like a clown but it could prevent a few falls

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

Irony.or.Death posted:

I got a new Garmin thing mostly for the sleep stuff and it claimed I burned like 200 in half an hour of lazily practicing turns in a parking lot (I am just now learning to ride a bike), so I do not think I would trust its numbers either.

Related: does it matter what I get in terms of knee/elbow pads? The end of that session made it very clear that I need them, probably looking at another week before I have enough skin back on my knee to get out there again and I'm just starting to make some real progress so this sucks.

congrats! Bikes are rad af

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
Broke: parking in a bike lane
Woke: parking in a streetcar lane: https://www.blogto.com/city/2023/07/toronto-driver-appears-abandon-vehicle-streetcar-lane-causing-total-chaos/

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

When I used to ride the south lake union street car every day, multiple times the street car just had to stop and wait because people were parking like rear end half in the street car lane. I'd get out and just say gently caress it and walk. I remember once it was some moron with a harley davidson trailer and all i could think was that i wished the street cars had plows on them to just shove that garbage right off.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Irony.or.Death posted:

I'm sorry for the child abuse of not learning to ride a bike, but I'm glad you are learning now! I don't think you need knee and elbow pads unless you want to go mountain biking. Once you've got the basic balance (and you sound like you do), the main thing that's gonna make you fall is cars low speed. It sounds a bit scary (it did to my then 4 year old at least), but you are way less likely to fall if you're going a proper speed. As in, you won't fall unless there's a large pothole or something. Ideally, you want to practice somewhere you can actually go fast without having to turn all the time, like a bike path.
But also yeah, having the seat low enough that you can have a flat foot on the ground is maybe a good start too.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Here's a video about learning how to bike: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5Ff-KdrHr_M

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

if the car had its blinkers on were the keys in the ignition? did no one think to just... get in and move it?

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

Cup Runneth Over posted:

if the car had its blinkers on were the keys in the ignition? did no one think to just... get in and move it?

hazards can be left on without the keys iirc

still though they should have just rammed it out of the way

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

if you want it to be

have everyone in the tram get out and tip it over

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Megamissen posted:

have everyone in the tram get out and tip it over

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Interfering with a car in any way is one of the greatest crimes you can commit in Toronto.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Writing a grant proposal to see if we can figure out if there’s any relationship between these statistics

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

BonHair posted:

I'm sorry for the child abuse of not learning to ride a bike, but I'm glad you are learning now! I don't think you need knee and elbow pads unless you want to go mountain biking. Once you've got the basic balance (and you sound like you do), the main thing that's gonna make you fall is cars low speed. It sounds a bit scary (it did to my then 4 year old at least), but you are way less likely to fall if you're going a proper speed. As in, you won't fall unless there's a large pothole or something. Ideally, you want to practice somewhere you can actually go fast without having to turn all the time, like a bike path.
But also yeah, having the seat low enough that you can have a flat foot on the ground is maybe a good start too.
I've taught an adult to ride, and I actually recommend knee and elbow pads depending on how important having skin is to them. After teaching balance, you still have to learn good cornering, safe front braking, and all that stuff. A lot more opportunities to eat poo poo. Personal preference though.

Apr 7, 2003

https://www.post-gazette.com/local/city/2023/07/28/pittsburgh-squirrel-hill-purple-parking-zones/stories/202307270091

quote:

Pittsburgh is painting some curbs purple. Here's why — and why they're frustrating business owners.

The parking situation in front of Mia DeMeo’s used clothing and accessory store in Squirrel Hill is causing some problems.

Ms. DeMeo, owner of A Child’s Wardrobe and Adults Too!, has a space marked for scooter and bike parking on the corner in front of her store. But there’s also magenta paint on her curb, accompanied by a smart loading zone street sign. It takes up about two car lengths — which, including the scooter and bike parking, costs her what she estimates to be what used to be three parking spaces.

That’s valuable real estate for a small business like hers, Ms. DeMeo said. And it makes unloading and loading clothes and other items a pain, as she has to park around the corner, she said.

“It’s the most awful thing in the world,” Ms. DeMeo said inside her shop Wednesday.

The magenta curb paint is not only in front of her shop. It’s also painted in front of other businesses on Murray Avenue, and throughout the city — including on the North Shore, in Downtown and in Oakland — with dozens of spots planned in total. The paint is part of the city’s Smart Loading Zones program that is designed to allow the quick loading and unloading of supplies for businesses citywide, while creating a revenue source for Pittsburgh, according to city officials.

Each smart loading zone requires those that park there to scan a sign or text the number to pay for parking in that location. A $100,000 grant by Automotus, a company that specializes in managing traffic in cities, including commercial traffic, has allowed Pittsburgh to become a pilot city for the program.

Drivers in the zone pay an escalating price depending on how long they’re there: 7 cents a minute for the first five minutes, 14 cents a minute from five to 15 minutes, 20 cents a minute from 15 to 30 minutes and 27 cents a minute from 30 to 60 minutes. They’ll receive a bill, and potentially a ticket in the mail, if they don’t register to pay. Cameras are installed at each space to monitor who uses them.

ablooobloobloooo I can't park anywhere I want for free

mystes
May 31, 2006

If you look at where that store is on street view, it's on the corner of two streets that both have TONS of parking

Apr 7, 2003

yep, same poo poo happened downtown when the sidewalk was expanded to make more pedestrian room for a busy bus stop. A guy half a block away who owns a furs shop lost his mind and threatened to sue everyone. Small business tyrants are the worst.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

quote:

It's the most awful thing in the world

lol

Apr 7, 2003

If that public property is "valuable real estate for a small business like hers," maybe she can buy it from the city instead of freeloading. idk

mystes
May 31, 2006

HashtagGirlboss posted:

Writing a grant proposal to see if we can figure out if there’s any relationship between these statistics
The cops aren't pulling anyone over and all the bad drivers are probably distracted using waze on their phones to avoid what cops there are

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
At some point the cops realized they could just do nothing all day and still get paid and nobody could do anything about it because they're cops. Why'd it have to be this union to be the one to recognize their power?

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013
I think the excuse nationwide for not just parking your squad car at a dangerous intersection and writing tickets all day long is that they're still shook over the summer of 2020. It's your fault!

Apr 7, 2003

WaryWarren posted:

I think the excuse nationwide for not just parking your squad car at a dangerous intersection and writing tickets all day long is that they're still shook over the summer of 2020. It's your fault!

Cops haven't enforced traffic rules for 18 years here, since this dumbass got himself shot
https://www.psta.org/in-memoriam/corporal-joseph-r-pokorny-jr/

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

I don’t even want cops doing more traffic enforcement. Speed cameras and red light cameras are easy enough and as long as they put up good signage than boom 24 hour enforcement

That said I had a pretty funny experience a while back I think I posted here at the time where a car blew through a stop sign then realized a ppb cruiser was right behind them and slammed on the brakes in the middle of the intersection. Driver was probably thinking oh poo poo as they then turned left probably expecting to be pulled over but the cruiser just drove through the intersection and went on with it’s day lmao. It was a nice newer model Lexus and maybe it would have been different if it had been a beater or maybe not, idk

I’m pretty sure the massive uptick in unsafe driving I’ve noticed here in the last six months is people changing habits now that it’s clear there’s no enforcement anymore

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Rochallor posted:

At some point the cops realized they could just do nothing all day and still get paid and nobody could do anything about it because they're cops. Why'd it have to be this union to be the one to recognize their power?

because they can murder you and it's legal

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

All the shop owners here throw a fit whenever parking is reduced to make room for bike lanes. Studies show that parking spots in front of a shop don't actually make them any money, especially since the car parked there is usually the owner's.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

lol, the bold part is not remotely true

quote:

The Minnesota Department of Transportation (MnDOT) has unveiled 10 ideas for the Rethinking I-94 project, an ambitious endeavor to address a number of safety, equity and mobility issues with the nearly eight-mile stretch of the interstate that runs between Minneapolis and St. Paul.

The alternatives released July 17, which are drafts at this stage, are wide-ranging, including proposals addressing freeway maintenance, expansion, and reduction or replacement with an at-grade roadway. Their development follows years of listening sessions and meetings with communities that live near and use the corridor.

"Two years we spent just listening: How do people use the corridor? What's important to you?" Sheila Kauppi, the deputy district engineer overseeing the project, told editorial writers.

In addition to addressing the interstate's aging infrastructure, MnDOT aims to improve safety, walkability, bikeability and motor vehicle mobility along the corridor. Officials also hope to rectify historical injustices: I-94's construction in the 1950s and '60s bisected various communities, including Rondo, a prosperous, vibrant and predominantly Black neighborhood. More than 600 families were displaced from Rondo, and around 300 businesses were demolished when construction began.

"The interstate separated communities," MnDOT Commissioner Nancy Daubenberger told editorial writers. "We, back at the very beginning of this, apologized for the undue burdens that created [for] neighborhoods."

MnDOT's desire to rectify historical injustices is admirable, as has been the effort to engage with communities that would be affected. The department's aims to address mobility, safety and infrastructure along the corridor are similarly commendable, as improvements are much needed.

But fundamental questions have yet to be answered. First, what is the primary goal of the project? The many outlined aims of Rethinking I-94, though noble, often conflict with one another. Prioritizing mobility and expanding the interstate, for example, could conflict with attempts to repair damage to Rondo and other neighborhoods. Conversely, reducing lane space to make good with these communities could conflict with mobility goals by increasing congestion.

Second, who is the project meant to serve? The vast majority of those who use the interstate do not live in the communities that surround it, and commensurate attention should be given to this constituency. If MnDOT pursues a costly, taxpayer-funded alternative that ultimately increases commute times, there will likely be massive public outcry. (While the total cost of the project has yet to be determined, funding will come from both federal and state sources.)

It is also worth asking whether all the project's aims would be best addressed by infrastructure changes. If a primary goal of Rethinking I-94 is rectifying historical injustice, is a freeway redesign the best way to achieve that?

The project's potential Achilles' heel is the prohibitively broad scope of its goals, which is likely to make successful compromise difficult or impossible. This breadth is reflected in an equally broad range of proposed alternatives; some are complete opposites of others. Two of the 10 options relate to freeway expansion, while a handful of others would reduce lane space. MnDOT did acknowledge the need for trade-offs during the presentation of the alternatives, but it is an issue that will likely require more attention.

The communities that use and live near the corridor may benefit from a more tailored approach. For example, if MnDOT were to embark on a pair of projects — one related to improving freeway mobility and safety and another related to repairing harm to neighboring communities — it may be more likely to achieve an end that leaves most parties satisfied. But attempting to realize a number of conflicting goals, all within one freeway redesign, is likely to lead to nothing more than a tepid compromise.

Rethinking I-94 is well-intentioned, and it is clear change is needed in the corridor. But the project is too ambitious in its current state. It would be beneficial for MnDOT to consider pursuing a number of tailored projects, rather than attempting to address both present-day commuter woes and decades-old injustices within one freeway project.

spckr
Aug 3, 2014

here we go

Cops haven't enforced traffic rules for 18 years here, since this dumbass got himself shot
https://www.psta.org/in-memoriam/corporal-joseph-r-pokorny-jr/

porky jr

Martian
May 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I hate cars: it's the most awful thing in the world

Or

I hate cars: because they can murder you and it's legal

Both seem fitting

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Just found out my city is proposing expanding paid parking to the whole city, strongly discouraging second cars per household, expanding public transport and bike infrastructure, making the city centre even less car-y, and greatly reducing parking provision around new builds.

The paid or paid-permit-based parking includes currently free neighbourhoods and parking around shops, and is justified by environmental concerns and "people should pay to leave their cars on public land".

Why don't we have a crying Dutch flag?

Before you think I'm being too :smuggo: about this, I found out because a neighbour brought round a petition against it. The least car-brained country in the world is still pretty drat car-brained.

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

quote:

That’s valuable real estate for a small business like hers, Ms. DeMeo said.

Valuable, city owned, real estate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Martian
May 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Bobstar posted:

Why don't we have a crying Dutch flag?

:geert:

That's a p. racist politician tho (Geert Wilders)