Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jazzyjay
Sep 11, 2003

PULL OVER

Holy poo poo a 7' long submarine made of fibreglass for $6.98? Is this how oceangate got its start?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Dude that thing rules

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

jazzyjay posted:

Holy poo poo a 7' long submarine made of fibreglass for $6.98? Is this how oceangate got its start?

It actually looks a bit safer than anything from Oceangate.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

gently caress yeah

Wipfmetz
Oct 12, 2007

Sitzen ein oder mehrere Wipfe in einer Lore, so kann man sie ueber den Rand der Lore hinausschauen sehen.
It even had an electrically lit instrument panel.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
The last fatal duel in England was fought between two french political refugees, both participants in 1848. The winner, Emmanuel Barthélemy, had commanded a barricade during the June Days, the response to the Second Republic trying to close the national workshops. He was also a buddy of Karl Marx, and in fact taught Marx fencing. His slain opponent was Frédéric Constant Cournet, a resigned Admiral, who had participated in the overthrow of Louis-Philippe but not the June Days. He was elected to the National Assembly, and only exiled after opposing Napoléon III's coup.

The duel was about Cournet making rude remarks about one of Barthélemy's exes.

Barthélemy was hung not long after in London, for shooting a cop.

French people remain cooler than english people.

Edgar Allen Ho has a new favorite as of 23:02 on Jul 20, 2023

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

The last fatal duel in England was fought between two french political refugees, both participants in 1848. The winner, Emmanuel Barthélemy, had commanded a barricade during the June Days, the response to the Second Republic trying to close the national workshops. He was also a buddy of Karl Marx, and in fact taught Marx fencing. His slain opponent was Frédéric Constant Cournet, a resigned Admiral, who had participated in the overthrow of Louis-Philippe but not the June Days. He was elected to the National Assembly, and only exiled after opposing Napoléon III's coup.

The duel was about Cournet making rude remarks about one of Barthélemy's exes.

Barthélemy was hung not long after in London, for shooting a cop.

French people remain cooler than english people.

He was also involved in a plot with a former Prussian army officer turned revolutionary to kill Marx via duel for being "too conservative."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/August_Willich

quote:

In London, Willich became an associate of the French revolutionary and political exile Emmanuel Barthélemy. According to Wilhelm Liebknecht, Willich and Barthélemy plotted to kill Karl Marx for being too conservative. Willich publicly insulted Marx and challenged him to a duel, which Marx refused to fight.[5] Instead Willich was challenged by a young associate of Marx, Konrad Schramm. The pistol duel was fought in Belgium with Barthélemy acting as Willich's second;[6] Schramm was wounded but survived the encounter

Willich left England a couple years later where he edited a newspaper in Cincinnati until the start of the Civil War, at which point he signed up as a lieutenant and then rose through the ranks to become a Major General.

quote:

At the request of Governor Oliver P. Morton, he assumed command of the Thirty-second Indiana. Willich drilled his regiment, in German, to a high degree of professionalism. It made a favorable impression wherever it served. An innovative officer, he suggested construction of special wagons convertible to pontoon boats by removal of wheels. To speed up troop movement and assure combat condition of troops upon arrival on the battlefield, he recommended wagon transport of troops. His superiors rejected both ideas. Yet, Willich's concern for his men's well-being earned him the nickname "Papa". When possible, he ordered bakery ovens constructed so that troops would have fresh bread.

The 32nd gained nationwide recognition for its stand against Confederate forces at Rowlett's Station, Kentucky. A detachment of 500 men under Lt. Col. Henry von Trebra fought off 1,300 men of Terry's Texas Rangers and infantry under General Hindman. The 32nd formed the "hollow square", and drove the attackers back, losing 10 troopers and 22 wounded, but killing 33 of the enemy, including Col. Terry, and wounding fifty others.

The 32nd saw action at Shiloh on the second day, during which Col. Willich displayed great leadership. When his troops became unsteady under fire, he stood before them, his back to the enemy, and conducted the regiment through the manual of arms. He had the regimental band play "La Marseillaise", the anthem for all republican movements in Europe. Recovering its stability, the 32nd launched a bayonet attack. Afterwards Willich was given command of the Horn Brigade. The 32nd remained in his brigade, under command of von Trebra and, later, Frank Erdelmeyer.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
What an interesting dude

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ETo97YJ9hI

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

wtf is this bullshit

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Looks like a fifty fifty mix of bullshit YouTuber screencap garbage and neopagan revisionist history. What a combination

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
I’ve never met a neopagan that didn’t have a deeply skewed view of history

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

in my experience neopaganism, reactionary politics, and anti-Semitism go together like wonder bread, peanut butter, amd jelly

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012

InediblePenguin posted:

wtf is this bullshit

Nicely answering your own question there.

Woolie Wool posted:

in my experience neopaganism, reactionary politics, and anti-Semitism go together like wonder bread, peanut butter, amd jelly

Huh. My experience has been mostly the opposite.
Though I have had the great pleasure of watching John Matthews squirm when I pointed out, in response to him saying that people should 'practice "shamanism" that's based on their ancestral culture', that if you go back far enough everyone's ancestors are African.

sock it to me!
Feb 7, 2010
A long time ago my buddy and I made a FB group called "Norse Neo Pagans of Western Nebraska". We didn't know that the term neo-paganism had "implications", we just wanted to shitpost about the gods and burning down monasteries. Within like 3 days 30 people we didn't know had joined, and they were all Nazis. Whoops!

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

What about the pagans who are into witches and crystals.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Cringe but harmless

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Woolie Wool posted:

There’s like two big groups of neopagans. The “woo crystals” ones tend to be pretty much not like what you’re describing, and the rest are exactly as you’re describing.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Gaius Marius posted:

Cringe but harmless

Idk, unhexing the moon in 2020 took billions of dollars worth of international counterhexing efforts.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

When sincere Pagans encounter bigots

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

fitting that the racist homophobic odinist uses a completely deranged font on their phone

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012
loving well played PFI

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Neo-pagan or even Asatru can leave some room for reasonable people but Odinist is a gimme. The people revering the guy that encourages hanging the lesser are exactly who you think they are.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Yeah, yer one Sarah, who contacted the Irish Pagans wrote up a big blog post defending herself.
It boiled down to the gays are medically damaged because... testerone overload? and "mixed race" marriages are bad because they lead to the elimination of the white race.

But she's totally not a racist bigot.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Why odin specifically? Is there like a part in the Norse stories where he just goes off on a screed about marriage being between one man and one woman of the SAME RACE or something?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Much like the Nazis and the white supremacists in their tradition, these people really don't care about historical, religious, mythological, sociological, or biological accuracy and truth. Instead, they make up some bullshit, them ascribe it to whatever tradition feels most fitting to theirs views—based, of course, on their extremely limited willfully-ignorant understanding of that tradition. In this case, Odin is an important god in Norse mythology, Vikings are often viewed by dumb racist people as a pure, Aryan culture, therefore Odin naturally is the god of white people. And being a god, naturally he disapproves of homosexuality.

It really is that straightforward.

feedmyleg has a new favorite as of 20:49 on Jul 27, 2023

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I mean paganism would have been those things because shockingly a bunch of people that existed thousands of years ago weren’t exactly progressive

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

christmas boots posted:

Why odin specifically? Is there like a part in the Norse stories where he just goes off on a screed about marriage being between one man and one woman of the SAME RACE or something?

I think it implies a blind desire for a fantastical traditionalism which doesn’t worry about if something was actually “good” or not.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

exquisite tea posted:

They were fine until the crunchy/spiritual wellness scene went fascist. They got radicalized via being anti-vax.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

christmas boots posted:

"Odinism" was literally invented by an Australian fascist in the 1930s because he thought Christianity was too open to race-mixing. It outright says the Aesir weren't physical gods and interprets them as figments for The British Race to represent natural forces; 'Odin' represents male dominance and effectively acts as a monotheist deity, with Thor and the others mere sideshows.

It basically has nothing to do with the actual Norse/Old Germanic faith besides borrowing a few names.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Hávamál, the closest thing Norse Paganism has to a holy text* with actual moral instructions, is basically just "Drink and eat in moderation, be generous to guests and other people in need, and if you're dumb don't talk too much or people will know how dumb you are. K bye." No mention of race or sexuality that I can recall.

*Still written down by Christians a couple hundred years after conversion like everything actually written down (other than a few Runestones and even those were mostly Christian)

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

Odinism is passe. Call me when you get into Onanism.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

feedmyleg posted:

Much like the Nazis and the white supremacists in their tradition, these people really don't care about historical, religious, mythological, sociological, or biological accuracy and truth. Instead, they make up some bullshit, them ascribe it to whatever tradition feels most fitting to theirs views—based, of course, on their extremely limited willfully-ignorant understanding of that tradition. In this case, Odin is an important god in Norse mythology, Vikings are often viewed by dumb racist people as a pure, Aryan culture, therefore Odin naturally is the god of white people. And being a god, naturally he disapproves of homosexuality.

It really is that straightforward.
It lends really well to get high on your own supply too when you consider (probably apocryphal) cults of Odin who's goals were to continuously ritualistically sacrifice everyone considered lesser or different to spiritually super charge Odin while purifying and training the armies of earth to fight in Ragnarok.

Oh hi, Odin. We need to prevent the end of the earth by killing lesser races? And we do it by hanging them from trees? You're never gonna guess what we already want do.

PharmerBoy
Jul 21, 2008
Odinism is for people who want paternalistic sky-god but really don't like the fact that Chrisitanity shares roots with Islam and Judaism.

Norse based religions seem to split to sects based on people who want the whitest of white religions (only whites allowed) and people who see that Loki was a transgender horse and think "awesome." The two sides hate each other.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

Oh you mean "nerds"?

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

zedprime posted:

It lends really well to get high on your own supply too when you consider (probably apocryphal) cults of Odin who's goals were to continuously ritualistically sacrifice everyone considered lesser or different to spiritually super charge Odin while purifying and training the armies of earth to fight in Ragnarok.

Oh hi, Odin. We need to prevent the end of the earth by killing lesser races? And we do it by hanging them from trees? You're never gonna guess what we already want do.

Do you have any references for them? Not disputing, just curious. Usually Odin's deal was he wanted the souls of warriors who died in battle for his army of Einherjar, not to train the living.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

CharlestheHammer posted:

I mean paganism would have been those things because shockingly a bunch of people that existed thousands of years ago weren’t exactly progressive

Sure, but they also had an entirely different set of values and prejudices and the things that are divisive today are not necessarily things they would have given two shits about.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Byzantine posted:

Do you have any references for them? Not disputing, just curious. Usually Odin's deal was he wanted the souls of warriors who died in battle for his army of Einherjar, not to train the living.

Giving this way more thought than it deserves:
- depending on where you read, it is possible that only the best of those who die in battle are chosen by the valkyries, so you want to train your candidates up before they bite it
- even if that's not the case, they still need to die in battle, which means you need to (a) have a battle and (b) get them to actually show up to it rather than doing the sensible thing and running the gently caress away

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

zedprime posted:

never heard of this, would also like source