Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Queer Grenadier
Jun 14, 2023

THIS GUY HAS A POOPY BOOM BOOM

HE NOT WARSHING HE HOLES LOL

OldSenileGuy posted:

What can I do to make the battery wear faster? Battery health on my 13 Pro is at 85%, and I'd love to get a free replacement under AppleCare before it expires on October 1. I think it needs to be at 80% before they'll do a replacement? But even if I can get it down to 82/83 I feel like my chances are good.

EDIT: Actually - I'm definitely going to be getting a screen replacement before AppleCare is up (I live that case-less life and my screen has a ton of micro scratches and one real scratch that can catch a fingernail on it). If I go in for a screen replacement AND a battery replacement at once - are they going to do both to my phone? Or are they just going to give me a new (refurb) phone?

I am also curious about the battery question.

For micro scratches, do they honor a screen replacement? I thought it needed to be cracked? Or, do you plan to “become” really clumsy? Lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Charge cycles wear out the battery, so run an app that sucks a lot of power and don't charge until it's nearly dead. Gonna need a lot of janitoring but that's life.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

~Coxy posted:

On an iPhone 12 it's not an update making your phone slow, but it's incorrect to say that they've never done it.

From time to time they sign old OS versions (accidentally?) and you can downgrade your iPad 2 to IOS5 or your iPhone SE to IOS9. The speed difference is night and day.

Yeah. It's not deliberately slowing down the older phones, but that the newer OS's overload the older phones. The fact that most of the time you cannot downgrade to an OS from when the phone was fast is 100% a form of forced obsolescence.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

xzzy posted:

Charge cycles wear out the battery, so run an app that sucks a lot of power and don't charge until it's nearly dead. Gonna need a lot of janitoring but that's life.

Finally the dream of playing World of Tanks 24/7, or whatever the hot new waste of time is.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

OldSenileGuy posted:

What can I do to make the battery wear faster? Battery health on my 13 Pro is at 85%, and I'd love to get a free replacement under AppleCare before it expires on October 1. I think it needs to be at 80% before they'll do a replacement? But even if I can get it down to 82/83 I feel like my chances are good.

EDIT: Actually - I'm definitely going to be getting a screen replacement before AppleCare is up (I live that case-less life and my screen has a ton of micro scratches and one real scratch that can catch a fingernail on it). If I go in for a screen replacement AND a battery replacement at once - are they going to do both to my phone? Or are they just going to give me a new (refurb) phone?

Get a syringe and drain out 5% of the lithium battery cell.

Funny story I forget about that this reminds me of: back in 2013 I switch from working at sprint to working at ATT (bad idea but that’s another story).

I had just signed a 2 year contract with sprint, but I wanted to switch to ATT to get my employee discount.

I still had an android phone at the time, and since I worked at sprint I knew they had a policy where if you used more than 50% roaming for consecutive months they would terminate the contract due to costs.

So I did the only logical thing, I re activated my android phone, rooted it, and forced it to only work in roam and then had it just stream whatever music on silent in the lunch room while I was working each day.

Got out of 4 contracts a year+ early doing it !

Duckman2008 fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Jul 27, 2023

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

The fact that most of the time you cannot downgrade to an OS from when the phone was fast is 100% a form of forced obsolescence.

Nah, still not buying the great goon conspiracy. It costs a substantial amount of dev time to make a backwards compatible reverse update process. For the economics of people who own these old phones, there is clearly a profit incentive to spend the dev time on new feautures that will result in revenue rather than on a backwards update process that will not result in revenue. It’s not really “forced” obsolescence, it’s just…. becoming obsolete if you want/need current updates.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Inner Light posted:

Nah, still not buying the great goon conspiracy. It costs a substantial amount of dev time to make a backwards compatible reverse update process. For the economics of people who own these old phones, there is clearly a profit incentive to spend the dev time on new feautures that will result in revenue rather than on a backwards update process that will not result in revenue. It’s not really “forced” obsolescence, it’s just…. becoming obsolete if you want/need current updates.

Huh? It's a built in feature to iTunes and Finder that you can force select an old IPSW file to restore your phone to, and it works. https://ipsw.me/

The ONLY thing that stops you from, say, installing the oldest iOS version that was created for your phone is that Apple won't electronically sign it.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Love 2 stay on older obsolete and vulnerable operating systems because gently caress the man.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

MarcusSA posted:

Love 2 stay on older obsolete and vulnerable operating systems because gently caress the man.

They could do like every other OS and allow you to apply security patches independently of OS upgrades.

Why does my Windows 10 laptop from 2016 work fine, but an iPhone from the same era on the newest iOS is basically unusable? The main reason people don't really care is most people are getting cheap phone upgrades every two years. I'm the same way, so it doesn't affect me much, but it does annoy me when people refuse to see this practice for what it is.

SweetMercifulCrap! fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Jul 27, 2023

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

MarcusSA posted:

I refuse to upgrade from Windows 98 and MacOS 9.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

buglord posted:

Speaking of slowness, does Spotlight take forever randomly, or is it just an old phone thing? Sometimes I can type “Sl” and it’ll immediately show Slack, other times I’ll have to type “Slack” and I’ll have a delayed result after 10 seconds or just no result period.

I’m kinda hoping it’s just my old phone but I could have sworn I saw someone with a 14 here say they were having this issue and that doesn’t bode well for me.

Do you have multiple apps with large photo libraries? Turn off Spotlight indexing for those.

Yeah. It's not deliberately slowing down the older phones, but that the newer OS's overload the older phones. The fact that most of the time you cannot downgrade to an OS from when the phone was fast is 100% a form of forced obsolescence.

Why would Apple want their iPhone userbase fragmented across different versions of iOS (bad for devs), including many older versions of iOS with unpatched exploits?

That's just silly. Apple supports older hardware and provides software updates for longer than any other phone maker. It isn't surprising that new features like live widgets would use more battery life.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Jul 27, 2023

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

MarcusSA posted:

Been a long time since anyone used the word skeuomorphism in here. Come back and lead us to the promised land, Jony.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

xzzy posted:

Put the charger on a smart plug and set a routine to turn it on/off every 3 hours or whatever cycle is appropriate when you have a game running 24/7

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Wasn’t there a built in app to get push notifications for sports that you followed? I can’t find it.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

My iPad Air 2 has run like loving dogshit for probably 4 years now. It’s obscene that they didn’t legacy it until iOS 16 or whatever. It’s like completely unusable for anything since it’s so slow and laggy. I just want to use it for a kid movie device and it struggles to do even that.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

MarcusSA posted:

To be fair, they do issue security updates to legacy devices.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Duckman2008 posted:

Get a syringe and drain out 5% of the lithium battery cell.

Funny story I forget about that this reminds me of: back in 2013 I switch from working at sprint to working at ATT (bad idea but that’s another story).

I had just signed a 2 year contract with sprint, but I wanted to switch to ATT to get my employee discount.

I still had an android phone at the time, and since I worked at sprint I knew they had a policy where if you used more than 50% roaming for consecutive months they would terminate the contract due to costs.

So I did the only logical thing, I re activated my android phone, rooted it, and forced it to only work in roam and then had it just stream whatever music on silent in the lunch room while I was working each day.

Got out of 4 contracts a year+ early doing it !

I love this.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Corb3t posted:

Why would Apple want their iPhone userbase fragmented across different versions of iOS (bad for devs), including many older versions of iOS with unpatched exploits?

That's just silly. Apple supports older hardware and provides software updates for longer than any other phone maker. It isn't surprising that new features like live widgets would use more battery life.

I get that, but I don't understand why they can't at least offer the option, making the user acknowledge that they are doing this at their own risk. I'll never understand arguing in favor of companies not letting you use the device you own in the way that you want to. Can't wait until this practice becomes standard in vehicles. It's already starting.

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

To be fair, they do issue security updates to legacy devices.

But only in the form of updating whatever the last iOS version that device received.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

I'll never understand arguing in favor of companies not letting you use the device you own in the way that you want to.

This is how they've done it for a very very long time. Your know what you're getting into when you buy one of their products. "It just works" (I know this isn't totally true) is in part because of that.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Jose Oquendo posted:

This is how they've done it for a very very long time. Your know what you're getting into when you buy one of their products. "It just works" (I know this isn't totally true) is in part because of that.

I know, but what is the argument against letting people do it anyway if they are forced to acknowledge that it's at their own risk and won't be supported?

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

EL BROMANCE posted:

Finally the dream of playing World of Tanks 24/7, or whatever the hot new waste of time is.

Allow me to recommend the new ridiculous fishing in the arcade. Also lets your phone double as a heater for a medium sized room.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I know, but what is the argument against letting people do it anyway if they are forced to acknowledge that it's at their own risk and won't be supported?

Because even after people check the box and break something, some meaningful number will still seek support, and even figuring out that the device is “as is” is on the other side of a support center cost, probably.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Subjunctive posted:

Because even after people check the box and break something, some meaningful number will still seek support, and even figuring out that the device is “as is” is on the other side of a support center cost, probably.

Yes I'm not sure why "this feature is not profitable, the feature will not bring additional revenue" is some impossibly hard to grasp reason for why a software company will not provide or support a certain feature. The replies keep coming up with a million reasons for why they could do it, but none of them addresses the only reason that matters, revenue. We see the same thing in the car subforum, people have fantastical ideas for what kind of cars should be on the market or what they should do, but when the car companies listen and build something cool and weird, nobody buys it.

Inner Light fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Jul 27, 2023

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Generally because nobody involved in the argument is able to make any kind of informed claim about revenue so bringing it up is a weasely way to try to end a disagreement. Apple doesn’t tell anyone what their costs are and they do lots of things that aren’t obviously and directly related to bringing in revenue.

fwiw I agree it’d probably cost them more than it’s worth

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Tiny Timbs posted:

Generally because nobody involved in the argument is able to make any kind of informed claim about revenue so bringing it up is a weasely way to try to end a disagreement. Apple doesn’t tell anyone what their costs are and they do lots of things that aren’t obviously and directly related to bringing in revenue.

fwiw I agree it’d probably cost them more than it’s worth

How is it more “weasely” then any other speculation, like that about how easy it would be for them to do? Seems a little…bad faith.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

TIL you can hold down the shift button if you want to type a word in all caps like ATM or IMHO.

I am smart.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

smackfu posted:

TIL you can hold down the shift button if you want to type a word in all caps like ATM or IMHO.

I am smart.

You can just double tap the shift button to lock it. LIKE THIS.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

But my way is LESS TAPS.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

FEWER taps :eng101:

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Corb3t posted:

Why would Apple want their iPhone userbase fragmented across different versions of iOS (bad for devs),

It's only bad for devs because Apple locks stuff to the latest IOS SDK.
(That having been said, the problem is mostly solved, since SDKs have run out of new features and now most apps that people want will happily run on IOS 11 and 12.)

Corb3t posted:

including many older versions of iOS with unpatched exploits?

Nobody is encouraging Apple to link security fixes to IOS updates.
If anything, tying exploit mitigations to the latest IOS is bad because it means people will not get fixes unless they break their old devices.

~Coxy fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Jul 28, 2023

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009
Has anyone else on the iOS 17 betas found that Siri talks to herself? If I make a request and her response requires a follow-up - such as confirming that I want to send a message - then she hears her own request and takes it as my response.

It's pretty funny, but kind of annoying.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

~Coxy posted:

It's only bad for devs because Apple locks stuff to the latest IOS SDK.
(That having been said, the problem is mostly solved, since SDKs have run out of new features and now most apps that people want will happily run on IOS 11 and 12.)

Still sounds like a QA nightmare for software developers. It would cause even more antiquated hardware out there with a hodgepodge of iOS versions.

iOS user adoption for updates is one of Apple’s biggest unique advantages as a hardware maker and from an organization and third party app developer standpoint, it just doesn’t seem worth the time or work associated with supporting what you’re asking for.

There are lots of indie iOS devs who are quick to utilize modern APIs - Lock/Home Screen widgets, shortcuts support, dynamic island, passkeys, etc. I really couldn’t care less what the average person wants out of their apps or phone - I’m sure the vast majority of users only download Google apps and Facebook.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Jul 28, 2023

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Come on public beta, it’s been 3 days since dev beta. This disappearing keyboard in Messages is annoying as hell.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Come on public beta, it’s been 3 days since dev beta. This disappearing keyboard in Messages is annoying as hell.

Yeah that one’s definitely a pain, hits me a lot.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Neurophonic posted:

Has anyone else on the iOS 17 betas found that Siri talks to herself? If I make a request and her response requires a follow-up - such as confirming that I want to send a message - then she hears her own request and takes it as my response.

It's pretty funny, but kind of annoying.

Lol this owns

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Can’t anyone get on the dev channel now?

DeusIgnis
Jan 17, 2010

Jose Oquendo posted:

Can’t anyone get on the dev channel now?

Plus, aren’t they sort of the same Beta in a way (once the PB is released)? Or am I thinking of something completely different?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

DeusIgnis posted:

Plus, aren’t they sort of the same Beta in a way (once the PB is released)? Or am I thinking of something completely different?

The public betas are at this point a couple builds behind. Like public beta 1 is the same as dev build 3(I think).

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Same build, different number

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Yeah I just swapped to the dev beta to get my keyboard back. Not sure what the difference is between the two at this point besides release days.