Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Apparently the reason this hasn't been done is you can't just put two bears in a cage and expect them to mate like you can with dogs. Bears have to be wooed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Kwyndig posted:

Apparently the reason this hasn't been done is you can't just put two bears in a cage and expect them to mate like you can with dogs. Bears have to be wooed.

See also: the latest Baldur's Gate 3 trailer.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

IIRC the ancient Egyptians took a swing at hyenas but it didn't work out so great

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Antivehicular posted:

IIRC the ancient Egyptians took a swing at hyenas but it didn't work out so great

They also tried with weasels.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Pandas would be great pets if they weren’t so drat hard to breed

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Crimson Harvest posted:

I think if you give them a long enough time to process and express themselves some reptiles seem pretty communicative huh

I really hate that people dismiss animals in general as soulless or stupid. So many examples exist of them having intelligence, sentience & even emotions just like people or domesticated pets. I probably posted it multiple times here & in other threads but a favorite of mine is a shark conservationist who's been friends with a tiger shark named Emma for over 20 years. Any time he's around it's like she can tell by sight/smell that he's there & she rushes up like a domestic dog to get pets & interaction. There's SO much we don't even understand about the animal world & I love watching little interactions like kitchen snek that prove there's more behind their eyes & actions than we really comprehend.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Kwyndig posted:

Thankfully we have Grindr technology now so this is a thing of the past.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
There's a universe out there where the Ancient Romans figured out the "pair a Cheetah with a Dog so it's anxiety will be reduced enough to breed in captivity" trick and having a pet Cheetah is only somewhat rarer than owning a house cat or dog

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

BOOTY-ADE posted:

I really hate that people dismiss animals in general as soulless or stupid. So many examples exist of them having intelligence, sentience & even emotions just like people or domesticated pets. I probably posted it multiple times here & in other threads but a favorite of mine is a shark conservationist who's been friends with a tiger shark named Emma for over 20 years. Any time he's around it's like she can tell by sight/smell that he's there & she rushes up like a domestic dog to get pets & interaction. There's SO much we don't even understand about the animal world & I love watching little interactions like kitchen snek that prove there's more behind their eyes & actions than we really comprehend.

Same.
I remember a diver/marine biologist who has been visiting the same reef for 30 years, and every 5 years or so, has visited a moray eel. Now the eel pops out of her cave to visit the diver and says hi because they have been cuddly friends for so long. The eel loves her diver friend simply because they are familiar and friendly. There is no long pattern of sharing food, they just pat the eel and love her.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

Pookah posted:

The eel loves her diver friend simply because they are familiar and friendly. There is no long pattern of sharing food, they just pat the eel and love her.

That’s a moray!

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

drrockso20 posted:

There's a universe out there where the Ancient Romans figured out the "pair a Cheetah with a Dog so it's anxiety will be reduced enough to breed in captivity" trick and having a pet Cheetah is only somewhat rarer than owning a house cat or dog

Cheetah mating behavior requires square miles of land, sadly.

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!
I love that video and that eel looks shockingly cuddly.

https://youtu.be/3IQ2I-P8Ucw

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Marginally better than Shepard's dancing. 2/10

ultrafilter posted:

Cheetah mating behavior requires square miles of land, sadly.

That just means it would be really easy to tell a breeder is unethical.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Eels love pets. In fact most animals love pets and/or scritches. Sharks, bears, tigers, if you can get them to lower their guard they'll certainly act like they enjoy being petted. It's almost like mankind was put on this earth to give pets to all the creatures of the earth.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Kwyndig posted:

Eels love pets. In fact most animals love pets and/or scritches. Sharks, bears, tigers, if you can get them to lower their guard they'll certainly act like they enjoy being petted. It's almost like mankind was put on this earth to give pets to all the creatures of the earth.

Adam was such a gently caress up. Whole garden full of friendly animals. Does he give pets? No, he's all, "huh what should I do with all these animals? Should I name them? I'll name them."

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Kestral posted:

Imagine if your childhood Big Comfy Dog scaled up with you as you aged. Dogs should be big enough to sleep on when you’re sick or out of sorts.

While I fundamentally agree I must point out that absolutely nobody wants the task of picking up Clifford's poo poo.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Facebook Aunt posted:

Adam was such a gently caress up. Whole garden full of friendly animals. Does he give pets? No, he's all, "huh what should I do with all these animals? Should I name them? I'll name them."

Naming animals is pretty fun though ngl

The latest Pikmin has an alien dog called Moss which might be the best dog name Ive ever heard.

Base Emitter
Apr 1, 2012

?

Ror posted:

we have more important things to work on right now

https://twitter.com/katefeetie/status/1673133682951897088

Raccoons seem like they're half-acclimated to being around humans already...

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

A Sometimes Food posted:

Naming animals is pretty fun though ngl

That’s how I ended up keeping my last (current) cat. Dog found a stray in the backyard, about 5-6 weeks old, let’s keep it in the bathroom for a few days then get it to a shelter etc.

I walk in to check on him a couple of days in and said “Good morning little puff, how you doin’ today? …ah, gently caress I just named the cat.”

Puff remains fat and sassy almost 3 years later. Good name. Most passive cat I’ve ever had.

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

Facebook Aunt posted:

they need names first so you have something to sing while you're petting them

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
the name ought to be the sound either you or they make when petting

mystes
May 31, 2006

Base Emitter posted:

Raccoons seem like they're half-acclimated to being around humans already...
Lots of animals are synanthropes but it doesn't necessarily mean it would be easy to domesticate them

wakka wakka
Oct 9, 2004

Kwyndig posted:

I've heard an old adage that bears are poo poo in being wooed.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

People keep raccoons as pets but it's apparently a big hassle because they get into everything and open locks and stuff.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Dewgy posted:

That’s how I ended up keeping my last (current) cat. Dog found a stray in the backyard, about 5-6 weeks old, let’s keep it in the bathroom for a few days then get it to a shelter etc.

I walk in to check on him a couple of days in and said “Good morning little puff, how you doin’ today? …ah, gently caress I just named the cat.”

Puff remains fat and sassy almost 3 years later. Good name. Most passive cat I’ve ever had.

Could use a pic of this cat

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

wakka wakka posted:

I've heard an old adage that bears are poo poo in being wooed.

Very good.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!
https://i.imgur.com/msV7crr.mp4

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

That is a very well behaved bird, whatever it is. I can't tell if it's a toucan or a duck or a chicken with a really big beak.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Kwyndig posted:

That is a very well behaved bird, whatever it is. I can't tell if it's a toucan or a duck or a chicken with a really big beak.

... it's a chicken with a normal sized beak

there's also a duck, a goat and a small child

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
it looks like they're in south america maybe?

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Kestral posted:

The little head tilts oh my god, why are they not domesticated yet

Because they absolutely stink.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

LifeSunDeath posted:

Might be but I assure you: that is no toucan

mystes
May 31, 2006

LifeSunDeath posted:

I don't think toucan is just the south american word for chicken

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Kwyndig posted:

My brother had an Oscar (thats a fish for those of you who might not know) and some times when it was sleeping, I'd put my hand in the tank and start petting it. It would wake up and just sit there and chill while I was petting that MF.

Then later it killed itself by jumping out of its tank, which I've heard is pretty common for them.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
https://i.imgur.com/7rtqAv8.mp4

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I posted that same vid to the gbs thread.

I dare you to jump in

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?
"I always knew it would end like this," I whisper as I swan dive into the big cat cuddle pile.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.

Looks like somebody's been

outfoxed

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
https://twitter.com/petfindernames/status/1684886200266756096?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Now that's dryer lint I wouldn't throw away.