Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

haveblue posted:

Two people are refusing to use any contraception but instead let things be dictated entirely by her cycle, meaning they are forced into a sex life that doesn't suit either of them and they've probably never been compatible to begin with, also they're married with kids now so gj all

Owned

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

You'll be ahead instead of behind. Hello!
The next thing I don't wanna have sex (like that'll happen :smug:) I'm gonna say "sry baby my boss is too dumb"

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

I have a lot of very specific and very personal questions that I'd like ask anyone who does that "family planning" lmao

So loving weird

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Why not get a gold mixer then?

Gold is notoriously soft, an hour of mixing bread dough would twist the mixer piece out of shape beyond repair and maybe break it off entirely. Steel is a much better choice. Yes, I understand humor, why do you ask?

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

trad jesus looks down from heaven and smiles with approval at her meticulously updated sex spreadsheet

Nurglings
May 6, 2016
I'm trying, but having read all those words it's still not clear to me whether the OP is saying she doesn't like sex at all or just with her husband (or something else entirely?)

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

trickybiscuits posted:

Gold is notoriously soft, an hour of mixing bread dough would twist the mixer piece out of shape beyond repair and maybe break it off entirely. Steel is a much better choice. Yes, I understand humor, why do you ask?

the mixer mixes gold, it is not made of gold

so presumably it operates at way too high of temperatures for a typical kitchen so is also unsuitable for mixing bread dough. I too understand humor yes

NocnaShada
Nov 10, 2015

trickybiscuits posted:

He deserves panic attacks.

What the poo poo.

Nobody deserves panic attacks. What is wrong with you? You do realise that they are the cause for the way he behaves, right? I guess the cliché “if depressed people would just stop being sad” applies.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

artsy fartsy posted:

Lol hey you guys, read this

AITA for ignoring my horny husband’s wishes at the end of NFP abstinence?

If you want to really get his goat, say "Okay, we'll make it even - you only have to do 90 seconds of dishes".

In all honesty, though, this is sad and it's a drat wonder that any branches of Christianity lasted this long with such bizarre ideas around sex.

Coca Koala
Nov 28, 2005

ongoing nowhere
College Slice

artsy fartsy posted:

I feel like both of these people hate each other deeply and desperately, yikes.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

Coca Koala posted:

I feel like both of these people hate each other deeply and desperately, yikes.

You're new to Catholicism, aren't you?

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Nurglings posted:

I'm trying, but having read all those words it's still not clear to me whether the OP is saying she doesn't like sex at all or just with her husband (or something else entirely?)

She's not enjoying sex with her husband but saying no, getting a divorce, loving someone else, getting herself off or changing anything at all are completely off the table because catholicism

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

FoolyCharged posted:

Funny how public school was never an option if they were so poor now. I wonder what kind of "better education" he was seeking?

But as much as we all know who the rear end in a top hat here is, the surly, just out of his teens kid saying he has nothing to look forward to in life is such a classic laugh.

quote:

My wife was working as a teacher before and after Colin was born. It was her idea to homeschool him after he entered 1st grade not knowing how to read, and I agreed

We did nothing and he didn't learn how to read, the only alternative is homeschooling.

Nurglings
May 6, 2016

Clark Nova posted:

She's not enjoying sex with her husband but saying no, getting a divorce, loving someone else, getting herself off or changing anything at all are completely off the table because catholicism

ty, the "He’s almost always willing to do whatever sexplay I ask for, but that just makes it last longer, and I usually just want it to be done." part was throwing me off.

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

nvm. dumb me.

tinytort
Jun 10, 2013

Super healthy, super cheap

Deformed Church posted:

Ask A Manager seems pretty good, albeit in a slightly different genre? I'm only an occasional browser but I've not noticed or heard of anything too terrible.

Yeah, Ask A Manager is pretty good. And Captain Awkward is good, too, but updates more infrequently these days.

Nurglings posted:

ty, the "He’s almost always willing to do whatever sexplay I ask for, but that just makes it last longer, and I usually just want it to be done." part was throwing me off.

Yeah, honestly it sounds like she's sex-repulsed asexual and doesn't realise it, and is going "everyone views having sex with their significant other as an unpleasant chore that has to be done, no one on the recieving end actually enjoys it" because she doesn't know any better.

Unfortunately, they're Catholic so she's stuck with him unless she can fake being called by God to become a nun.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Hahahaha how did I miss someone citing the loving New York Post?

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

snergle posted:

every time i drink out of this well i get the shits real bad. w/e i like the well => gets the shits so bad i end up in the hospital i still wanna drink out of that well.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

artsy fartsy posted:

Jesus Christ can the State step in and forcibly divorce these people?

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Khanstant posted:

Jesus Christ can the State step in and forcibly divorce these people?

And potentially inflict them on the innocent???

Coca Koala
Nov 28, 2005

ongoing nowhere
College Slice
WIBTA if I keep my roommates emotional support dog from him

quote:

I (25m) have a 14 year old miniature poodle (Jack), he's a laid back, very sweet, very chill dog. My roommate (23m) has decided that Jack would make the perfect emotional support dog for him, he says Jack "undertands his trauma" in a way no other dog could. He's asked me if I would give him Jack but he can't afford to care for him so I would still have to pay for everything, of course I said no, I'm not giving up my dog for anything but especially if I'd still have to pay for everything for him. Now, anytime my attention is away from Jack my roommate tries to take him in his room and close the door to keep him in there. Most of the time Jack won't go with him since he prefers sticking with me.

The only time its an issue is when I go to work, I work night shift so I leave around 1130 pm and get home around 630am. When I get home I let Jack outside, feed him, and then go to bed (Jack comes with me). But my roommate has started waiting to go to bed until after I leave so Jack will go in his room with him once I'm gone.

I dont really care that Jack goes with my roommate while I'm at work, the problem is that when I get home I have to wait 1 or 2 hours for my roommate to get up before I can take care of Jack, and it's really causing a problem with my sleep schedule. This is especially bad because I go to school during the day so I only get, at most, 6 hours of sleep a day so loosing an hour or two is a really big deal.

I'm thinking about just putting Jack in my room before I leave for work but I'm not sure if I'd be the rear end in a top hat since my roommate wants Jack as an Esa.

Your dog understands my trauma like no other dog could. Please, let me have him! Also, you should continue to pay all the bills for him.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

RocketMermaid posted:

If you want to really get his goat, say "Okay, we'll make it even - you only have to do 90 seconds of dishes".

In all honesty, though, this is sad and it's a drat wonder that any branches of Christianity lasted this long with such bizarre ideas around sex.

If I could go back and tweak evolution a little bit, I would make it so that humans would not reproduce unless the woman orgasmed. To be fair we would have maybe 10 % of the population we do now, but I think the sacrifice would be worth it.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

tinytort posted:

Unfortunately, they're Catholic so she's stuck with him unless she can fake being called by God to become a nun.
:catholic:

Nope! If you're married, you can only become a priest or a non if your partner consents.

Non is a typo, and I like it that way.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

AITA for making my husband a vegan dinner even though he’s completely against becoming one?

quote:

I (24M) and my husband (25M) have been happily married for a little over a year now. We met through a mutual friend and he learned very quickly that I am a vegan. About a year after we met and got closer, we started dating. He had no issues with me being vegan, but made it very clear that I couldn’t force him into being a vegan, which I respected. I haven’t ever put him down for eating meat in front of me, as that is his choice. Each to their own. We even served both vegan and meat-inclusive food at our wedding to accommodate both of our families.

Up till now, everything was great. However, recently I’ve been seeing a ton of vegan recipes on my pinterest and decided I wanted to try making one for dinner. We don’t usually end up getting to have fancy dinners at home as both of us work full time, but I found some time today to cook something up. It was a recipe for pulled pork sandwiches, but the pork wasn’t actually pork, instead it was jackfruit. He seemed a little stressed about work but I showed him the surprise dinner, and that seemed to help his mood out.

He ate it happily, and even complimented my cooking. But when he asked what was in it - and when I told him it was a pulled pork sandwich with jackfruit as a meat alternative - he lashed out. He shouted, telling me that he made it clear he was staying a meat eater. I tried explaining that I wasn’t trying to turn him into a vegan, but he’d just walked away then. This happened a few hours back, and now he’s refusing to talk to me.

I feel like I might be the rear end in a top hat for making him a vegan meal even though he’d made it extremely clear he wouldn’t become one, because even if it wasn’t my intention to make him one I still made a vegan dinner that passed off as one with meat in it.

So Reddit, Am I the rear end in a top hat?

EDIT: This is a pretty commonly asked question so I’ll just clear it up here, I didn’t say it was a pulled pork sandwich. All I had said was that I made some sandwiches for us, nothing more and nothing less.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
angrily throwing my pb&j on the floor. how dare you. HOW DARE YOU

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
AITA for telling my daughter's girlfriend to get off of her phone during dinner?

quote:

I (56M) met my only daughter's (Lauren - 20F) first serious girlfriend (Heather - 31F) yesterday. Given the age difference, I will admit I was already a bit stressed out but I gathered myself for Lauren.

I'm Lauren's only parent, I'm very proud of her and I love her so much. I prepared dinner and I expected it to be a typical meeting your daughter's partner dinner. It was not what I hoped it would be.

Heather is a big-shot lawyer. She brought a fine bottle of wine with her, and at first it was all okay. As the night went on she came off as very self confident, arrogant even, and every five minutes she would leave the dinner table to take a 'very important call'.

I counted in my head. This happened 7 times in the course of an hour. So I just asked Heather if her very important job could wait a little bit so we could talk together. Heather gave me a very nasty look. She said it couldn't.

I asked if it was more important than meeting her girlfriend's father. She said it actually was and Lauren understood and could explain if I wanted. She then left the room. Lauren said some matters need Heather's personal input.

After Heather left for another phone call, Lauren told me I was being childish by asking to have Heather's full attention at a time like this and she said she was embarrassed by my comment. After they left, Lauren hasn't contacted me (like she usually would) and acts cold towards me. AITA here?

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

I dread the comments because as I have said before AITA loving hates vegans on the regular.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

tinytort posted:

Yeah, Ask A Manager is pretty good. And Captain Awkward is good, too, but updates more infrequently these days.

Yeah, honestly it sounds like she's sex-repulsed asexual and doesn't realise it, and is going "everyone views having sex with their significant other as an unpleasant chore that has to be done, no one on the recieving end actually enjoys it" because she doesn't know any better.

I don't know, she sorta indicates she gets horny when she's ovulating. But that's when they can't have sex. She has created herself a weird hell all her own.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Some of you may want to catch up with the thread instead of hitting the quote button on posts from pages ago.

Yeah sorry, forgot I had to commit to reading all 900 new posts a day ITT because the IK occasionally takes a break from oversharing about their hosed up life to get some dopamine hits by probing people who obviously want to discuss something that has been arbitrarily forbidden.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

AngryRobotsInc posted:

I dread the comments because as I have said before AITA loving hates vegans on the regular.

I'm seeing wall to wall NTA, but also there are 5000 comments in 6 hours and I'm not scrolling through all of those.

I did find this tidbit:

quote:

He doesn’t eat meat religiously in his meals, and is actually quite fond of pasta with tomato sauce.

Not sure if this makes him more or less stupid than if he was a "it's not a meal if it doesn't have meat" type.

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

Yeah sorry, forgot I had to commit to reading all 900 new posts a day ITT because the IK occasionally takes a break from oversharing about their hosed up life to get some dopamine hits by probing people who obviously want to discuss something that has been arbitrarily forbidden.

Just Kramering into threads to post an opinion on a topic that everyone got sick of 3 pages ago, no time for reading! gently caress it, let's start responding to posts from page 2

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos

Cowslips Warren posted:

If I could go back and tweak evolution a little bit, I would make it so that humans would not reproduce unless the woman orgasmed. To be fair we would have maybe 10 % of the population we do now, but I think the sacrifice would be worth it.

Let's be realistic, not only would there be no children born but already living people would start blinking out of existence

run on sentience
Mar 22, 2022
The redditors who whine about folks being too quick to advise people to divorce/sever from their garbage relationships are so pathetic.

Anytime I read a comment like that, I just assume they either settled for trash themselves and have a crab bucket mentality or are the rear end in a top hat people keep severing from.

It is in no way "extreme" to advise someone to ditch the kind of loser who would yell at their partner for serving them a fruit or vegetable. There's no way that guy has any redeemable qualities worth trying to make it work.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

AngryRobotsInc posted:

Stop trying to make other people eat vegan, then :colbert: if they want to do it then they'll do it on their own.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

PancakeTransmission posted:

Just Kramering into threads to post an opinion on a topic that everyone got sick of 3 pages ago, no time for reading! gently caress it, let's start responding to posts from page 2

Yeah, why dont you cry at my daily mock funeral????

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

Cowslips Warren posted:

AITA for telling my daughter's girlfriend to get off of her phone during dinner?

That's... a pretty crazy amount of interruptions during an hourlong dinner. To be honest, if you have to stop to take a call every ten minutes then you should probably reschedule the dinner.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Clocks posted:

That's... a pretty crazy amount of interruptions during an hourlong dinner. To be honest, if you have to stop to take a call every ten minutes then you should probably reschedule the dinner.

Lawyers are notorious for their always-on bullshit, but this seems extreme even for that. And if you know you're gonna be interrupted this much you could just, like...communicate?

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos

Midnight Voyager posted:

quote:

My wife was working as a teacher before and after Colin was born. It was her idea to homeschool him after he entered 1st grade not knowing how to read, and I agreed

We did nothing and he didn't learn how to read, the only alternative is homeschooling.
I want to point this out: the kid didn't know how to read going into first grade. This is totally normal and reasonable. Most kids learn to read in the first or second grade. I don't think kindergarteners do more than learning the alphabet. Poor Colin.

IKeeping on the crap parent theme:

quote:

It IS happening all over. Given that, there must be a common link, right? just as it is no coincidence that 500 people in a small town of say 1000 people, who all work at the chemical company down the road, all get cancer about the same time. “There are no conspiracies but there are also no coincidences.” – Stephen K. Bannon

As I have been preaching everywhere regarding our problem, this is one of the by-products of our country’s loss of industrial jobs in the 80″s. Our government sought various ways to create new jobs to replace those lost and did so expanding the education and health fields. BOOM! then we had thousands graduating from liberal minded colleges with psych degrees who needed jobs. Coincidentally [on purpose] the entire population had some sort of mental problem and needed counseling and drugs.

And with that came the over-use of all now familiar buzz words like ‘self-esteem’ ‘toxic’ ‘narcissist’ ‘ADD, OCD, etc.etc.’. All of our children had a disorder as did we. Ideas were planted, and the name calling, and blame, began. But at least we have a few more jobs!

I guarantee this person is retired.

And a boring answer for a clickbait headline: I Am Estranged From My Toxic Mother. Should I Go on Her Birthday Trip?

quote:

A year ago, I cut my toxic mother out of my life. It was a good decision. The problem: My father, whom I still see one on one, is distraught that I skip family events to avoid her. Now, he’s decided to pay for the whole family to go to an expensive resort to celebrate my mother’s 80th birthday, and he is pressuring me to join them. I think it would be hypocritical to go on vacation to celebrate a woman whom I no longer speak to. But my dad is 85. He has always been loving and supportive to me, and I know my being there would mean a lot to him. I’m torn: I don’t want to subject myself to my mother, but I don’t want to ruin the vacation for my father. Thoughts?

think you may be misunderstanding what your father is asking of you. And if my hunch is correct, your decision may be even easier. He is not requesting your mere presence on a family vacation; he is also asking you to engage (nicely) with everyone else, including your mother — no avoidance or silent treatment allowed. If that’s not possible, don’t go. Your absence will probably be less upsetting to the group than wall-to-wall conflict.

Now, it’s hard for me to assess the situation with your mother, thanks to our national fondness for the language of pathology. You say she is “toxic.” But if I deleted every letter that used the word “narcissist” or “toxic” to describe people who seem vaguely selfish or unpleasant, my inbox would be practically empty. So, I defer to you. Some parents are truly destructive. Steer clear of them and invest your energy elsewhere. More commonly, though, many adult children can recognize — by the time our parents turn 80 — that our mothers and fathers may not be the ones we would have wished for, but we can live with them and our ambivalence anyway. If you can keep your equanimity for the length of the vacation, great. If not, I respect that, too. But going on your mother’s birthday trip is not about your father. Explain that to him.
1. Dad chooses to stay with Mom. If she's unhealthy, he's not healthy either.

2. I do hate when people say things like "everybody just calls everyone a narcissist, everyone thinks behavior they don't like is toxic." I also hate it when people actually do call someone narcissistic or toxic when what they really mean is this person treated them badly. I don't see it often, but I've seen it. But of the two, I hate the first one more.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Canuckistan posted:

Everyone below this post is a Satan shitplane.

gently caress you, no I'm not :arghfist::mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
AITA For Not Wanting to Give my Disabled Uncle One of my DVD’s?

quote:

Around 4 months ago my uncle suffered a severe life altering stroke that has largely limited what he can do now. When he was first in the hospital I dropped off a DVD copy of Jaws for him to watch in his room and enjoy. He ended up moving rooms several times in that hospital (and has since moved to a new one). I never saw that DVD since and I lack the testicular fortitude to bring up its whereabouts. I’ve just let it go and accepted I probably won’t get it back.

Fast forward to now and I notice a stack of DVD’s in my living room. One of them being mine that I bought with my own money. I asked my mom about it and she said that she was bringing those for my uncle to watch. I was a little annoyed at first that she didn’t bother asking me first beforehand but I tried to let her know as nice as I could that I didn’t feel comfortable letting her send my DVD in, referencing the last DVD that I lent. She looked very disappointed in me and just replied with “fine”.

Should I have just sucked it up and let her give my uncle my DVD?

bolding mine because I like that phrase.