Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I saw some trees earlier this summer. They were all quite large. I toyed around with putting a person in the scene to show scale but hated all attempts so I decided that technique is not for me.

Am curious what people think of my white balance choices. I edit each image based on what I feel works best for that individual frame, but looking at them in series I'm not sure it's the smartest idea. The balance is clearly all over the place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
They're pretty consistent to me, but I would also try cooling them all a fair bit. The warm tones feel more rain forest than lush old woods.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Jul 26, 2023

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe
Agreed, I’d dial back the warmth a bit (but i think some is nice for that “old growth” feeling)

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Nice use of the portrait orientation, the depth is working.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

Contributing to the sick forest and waterfall shots

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Bottom Liner posted:

They're pretty consistent to me, but I would also try cooling them all a fair bit. The warm tones feel more rain forest than lush old woods.

It is a rain forest..

QuasiQuack
Jun 13, 2010

Ducks hockey baybee

xzzy posted:

I saw some trees earlier this summer. They were all quite large. I toyed around with putting a person in the scene to show scale but hated all attempts so I decided that technique is not for me.

Am curious what people think of my white balance choices. I edit each image based on what I feel works best for that individual frame, but looking at them in series I'm not sure it's the smartest idea. The balance is clearly all over the place.

I've been captivated by these photos every time I've seen them. They really convey a feeling of being deep in untouched lands.
I've also been thinking about editing for single images vs. series of shots lately. I always have this feeling that there's this one single thing that will really work for a specific photo, but then when I move on to another one shot in the same timeframe and area I end up doing something else with it and end up with completely different results. I'm kind of envious of the people on here that have really found their style and achieve consistency in their work.

I shot these two within 20 minutes of each other for example:

Just completely veering off on different paths...

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

ImplicitAssembler posted:

It is a rain forest..

Let me rephrase it then, the warm yellows make me think more tropical than old growth woods.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
I don't mind the warmth. I've been there plenty of times and it felt that way in the late afternoon/evenings. Maybe pull it back a little bit it depends on what you intended to convey in those photos.

It honestly felt like fern gully or land before time. Mushrooms had zero effect on my perception.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Verman posted:

I don't mind the warmth. I've been there plenty of times and it felt that way in the late afternoon/evenings. Maybe pull it back a little bit it depends on what you intended to convey in those photos.

It honestly felt like fern gully or land before time. Mushrooms had zero effect on my perception.

Agree. I spent 14 years in the PNW and think it captures is nicely.

I tend to go bluer, but then these are also shot late in the day:

ImplicitAssembler fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Jul 28, 2023

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
The difference feels like winter vs summer in the Olympics

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I definitely bumped the warmth quite a bit, I usually pick a value and then dial it back a bit but I didn't this time. I guess I was trying to make a very rare trip as perfect looking as possible. They were all taken in the evening, the days had been clear blue the whole time but a couple hours before sunset some sea fog would roll over and soften the sunlight. It definitely got warmer but not as warm as the uploads.

I think I'll sit on it for a while, it's easy to rush back through LR and try to find edits that make everyone happy but I haven't decided I took things too far either. I think I want to print one of them and I'll definitely be cooling things a bit when I get that far.

SuicidalSmurf
Feb 12, 2002

Speaking of the Olympics.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

xzzy posted:

I definitely bumped the warmth quite a bit, I usually pick a value and then dial it back a bit but I didn't this time. I guess I was trying to make a very rare trip as perfect looking as possible. They were all taken in the evening, the days had been clear blue the whole time but a couple hours before sunset some sea fog would roll over and soften the sunlight. It definitely got warmer but not as warm as the uploads.

I think I'll sit on it for a while, it's easy to rush back through LR and try to find edits that make everyone happy but I haven't decided I took things too far either. I think I want to print one of them and I'll definitely be cooling things a bit when I get that far.

I think they look great as they are :sun: You're editing for your own sake, and it at least to me, I got a real "deep, old forest" feeling from those photos that I really, really liked. I wouldn't worry too much about making other people happy, as long as you are.

We've had a lot of weird weather lately, lots of small squalls and thunderstorms, so rainbows are back on the menu :haw:

Wibla fucked around with this message at 10:57 on Jul 28, 2023

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

a small series

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe

SuicidalSmurf posted:

Speaking of the Olympics.

Yeahhhhh!

eggsovereasy posted:

a small series

Nice plant action. Do you travel to find this stuff or just live in Ohio?

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

Incredulous Dylan posted:

Nice plant action. Do you travel to find this stuff or just live in Ohio?

I live in Tennessee so I don't have to travel very far to find overgrowth.

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

Some digital 'scouting' shots, also taken with the large format but not yet developed.

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae
drat!

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Seriously good poo poo!

Sleepytime
Dec 21, 2004

two shots of happy, one shot of sad

Soiled Meat
What are the best conditions for getting diffuse light in the woods like in xzzy has? Does it depend on the location or is it best to attempt on overcast days?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Depending on your geolocation, early morning is your best bet for the most fog/mist/dew. Try +/- 30 mins from sunrise.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Overcast days can also help, it significantly reduces the spotty high dynamic range of bright sun / deep shadow you get under the forest canopy. You can sometimes get some cool effects going out right after a rainstorm while there's still clouds out and everything is wet / evaporating.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Overcast days are my favorite, you can have fun with any level of clouds but my favorite is when the clouds are kinda thin so the harshness of the sun gets cut but there's still a clear light source. Doesn't happen too often though.

This also means you don't gotta get up before dawn, you can shoot all day if you want to.

Along a river in a dense canopy is worth scouting out too, even in blue skies. Sunlight will reflect off the trees on the other side of the river and into the understory which can look amazing.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Sleepytime posted:

What are the best conditions for getting diffuse light in the woods like in xzzy has? Does it depend on the location or is it best to attempt on overcast days?

Late summer/early autumn. Either early morning in mountains/valleys or after rain.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Yeah I’ve had practically nothing to offer this thread in the last two months because every day in central texas is just unrelentingly cloudless. I need to start going out at night again.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Blue hour is fun when it's clear out. Gonna want a tripod though.

And probably a headlamp if you're in the sticks.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
Thanks for forest tips. Im currently buying a house with a forest literally through the back gate, so it's gonna be a LOT of what I shoot soon.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Having a quality forest close by is a massive plus, the more you walk it the more you'll see and it's hard to get closer than your backyard. Familiarity helps a ton with taming that chaos.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

xzzy posted:

Having a quality forest close by is a massive plus, the more you walk it the more you'll see and it's hard to get closer than your backyard. Familiarity helps a ton with taming that chaos.

I live around a temperate rainforest and one of the things I've always loved about it is the fractal-like way that distribution and heterogeneity seems to exist (within reason) irrespective of scale. You can examine a large area and then crouch down and look near a log or something and find that what looked like a bunch of dirt actually has it's own little biome of new plant life, old decaying forest floor material, etc. I've tried to capture this with photos but I can never really seem to nail it down.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
Its just something I've struggled to photograph. They are so busy it's hard to create isolation.

I come home with photos I think are gonna be good but just end up "what am I looking at?" type affairs

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe
Oooh there’s like three good layers of detail on that second one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU