Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Never Own/Live In Something You Can Kinkshame

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
someone cut off holbrook's hands immediately

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.
Steeple 17: Hell on Wheels Part 2

John Allison's Patreon John Allison's Gumroad store
Steeple website

John Allison posted:

This character reminds me of something, but I can’t think what. Given that during the creation of this story, no one was laying claim to the Transformers comics license, this is your sole source of changing robot comics and it’s at leat 50% as good as anything Bob Budiansky wrote. Lucky to get it!

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Pogo 2/15-17/51

Archie 10/12/47

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Into Ilves

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

30 years later Moms loved to clean fish!

F Minus

And so, Kanye made the ballot.

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

The Phantom

All I'm gonna say is if you're going to shoot at those three you better not miss.

Edit: Four. I didn't count Devil but I should have.

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

Apartment 3-G

Murdstone fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Jul 28, 2023

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Yvonmukluk posted:

Bad Machinery

jesus that's a dark punchline

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
lmfao Mark's arms in panel 1. also another stupid storyline where the cops forget to arrest Mark for no reason. ACAB and all but awful writing.

Breadmaster
Jun 14, 2010

Doomykins posted:

lmfao Mark's arms in panel 1. also another stupid storyline where the cops forget to arrest Mark for no reason. ACAB and all but awful writing.

Panel three is so much to take in. The perspective on the car, Mark and DadMark.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

lol

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

sluggo locates the emperor's wayfinder

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Our Boarding House (May 5-7, 1924)

And since I implied I was going to make this a thing when it showed up (especially since it's been fifty million years since we read it the first time), another slice of Out Our Way: The School Marm Saga (May 5, 1924)

That calf looks like it'd totally be on-board with this plan.

Toonerville Folks (July 7-9, 1921; timg for another Aunt Eppie modesty curtain)

Dok's Dippy Four-On-The-Floor (November 5, 1914)

Little Lefty (November 21-23, 1938)

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

Fingerpori

Folkhälsan = Swedish for "people's health"
Folkhälsan is an organization that advocates for the social welfare & healthcare of the Swedish-speaking part of the Finnish population (Finland is officially bilingual and we have a sizeable Swedish-speaking community).

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Nekonaughey

Bogor

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Scarlet O'Neal spends more time riding on the back bumpers of cars than she spends riding inside them.

Murdstone posted:

Mary Worth

Look, I know HIPAA doesn't apply to dogs, but even so. Dude.

Luann

Gil Thorp

Breadmaster
Jun 14, 2010
It feels, I dunno, exploitative? To be shilling for donations for juvie inmates' fines, rather than paying them or giving them college credit/sports scholarships for playing in a semi-professional setting? Or is this just one of those things about the slave prison labor pipeline?

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Murdstone posted:

The Phantom

All I'm gonna say is if you're going to shoot at those three you better not miss.

Edit: Four. I didn't count Devil but I should have.

If they harm one hair on Babudan's head, I will never forgive this comic.

Edit: Same with Devil. The other two have it coming, though.

Weembles fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Jul 28, 2023

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

EasyEW posted:

Olive & Popeye, in which two sweethearts compare notes.
At first I thought that Milholland's Popeye was just ok. Not great, but fine. But as it's gone on I've come around to the opinion that I loving hate it.

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Intelligent Life

Daddy Daze

Take It From The Tinkersons

Macanudo

Dark Side Of The Horse

Angular Cyrus
May 29, 2007

everything is so much harder than it looks
Underworld LA Weekly 01/30/1997–02/06/1997

ukonvasara
Aug 16, 2012

a mixture of gravity and waggery

Tiggum posted:

At first I thought that Milholland's Popeye was just ok. Not great, but fine. But as it's gone on I've come around to the opinion that I loving hate it.

THANK you

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Heathcliff

Compu-toon

Garfield

Overboard feat. underwater creature of some sort

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Classic Arlo and Janis (August 24, 2001)

Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

riderchop fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Jul 28, 2023

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Murdstone posted:

Apartment 3-G

The professor was a professional wrestler while in college? He really is the best character in this strip. :swoon:

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
If Intelligent Life ended right there then for once it would have made an ok joke.

riderchop posted:

Safe Havens

Oh, we are heading right into unadulterated Holbrook right here.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I dimly recall a webcomic written by an actual 8-year-old and it had about 100 times more tension and coherence than Mark Trail.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Mercury Hat posted:

Is it a Magdalene laundry joke? I don't think they took in British girls. If it's an abortion joke it's going in the wrong direction.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Mercury Hat posted:

I was about to say the same thing! ^^^ I believe that's the point. And that's why it's a joke.

Chicken Parmigiana
Sep 12, 2007

I'm reasonably certain you can't do fart noises with either clothed armpits or, in theory, fur-covered ones.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Fingerpori

In the original Finnish the man says he got a long term hitch as ... well the term in Finnish is "laitosmies", which literally means "man of institute", and is a term sometimes used for custodians and the like. But of course can also literally mean a man in an institute.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
I don't hate Randy's Popeye but it crashed into a low ceiling on the quality.

My Lovely Horse posted:

I dimly recall a webcomic written by an actual 8-year-old and it had about 100 times more tension and coherence than Mark Trail.

Axe Cop?

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

i saw intelligent life doing topical commentary and it activated a fight or flight response in me

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Chicken Parmigiana posted:

I'm reasonably certain you can't do fart noises with either clothed armpits or, in theory, fur-covered ones.
Can confirm that it is either very difficult or impossible.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

i feel the same about the newer popeye, especially after reading a lot of the classic thimble theater stuff. "he would not loving say that", etc.

Kavak posted:

Is it a Magdalene laundry joke? I don't think they took in British girls. If it's an abortion joke it's going in the wrong direction.

ok, lol, i was hoping there was a nuance i was missing there

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Phthisis posted:

I wondered what modern-day Prince Valiant was like, and, well,

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
It's not what it was under Hal but modern Valiant is still pretty good. :colbert:

dismas posted:

Me when Dustin does women be shopping: gently caress this regressive bullshit
Me when Classic Val does it: :allears:

womenne ye shoppeing

It's the dichotomy between the heroic fantasy setting and the domestic nature of the joke that makes it work. Plus Aleta gets plenty of storylines where she's the hero, so the stereotype doesn't feel so much like it's dumping on women in the same way Dustin does.

don Jaime posted:

Did I miss what happened to Alfred? He and Val fled Camelot after the comedy horse incident. I know they settled affairs with the Saxon, but Alfred vanished out of the story and Arthur should still be mad.

Alfred quietly exited the story while they were in Thule, before the storyline with Val commanding the fleet, so he's presumably still there.

Vintage Valiant (Jun. 22, 1958)

catlord posted:

Oh, we are heading right into unadulterated Holbrook right here.

Yeah I'm looking forward to how wild his take on climate change is.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Kavak posted:

Doubt it's abortion. Probably more of a girl who's "in trouble" being sent away to have her baby before anyone in her hometown can notice she's pregnant. (As someone in the Gocomics comments put it: "spend nine months visiting her aunt.")

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 7/27/03

Brenda Starr 5/24-26/51

Smokey Stover 11/27/55

Everyday Movies 8/15/36

"Oh say, Mazie -- there's Virginia. Don'tcha see her over there in the black bathing suit?"

Invisible Scarlet O'Neil 11/20-22/41

Selachian fucked around with this message at 12:15 on Jul 28, 2023

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Medenmath posted:

Like goatface and Stultus Maximus said, these are from the Fantagraphics collections. They are expensive but great, definitely worth buying a few if you like what you've been seeing. They are clear and have great color fidelity. They're also huge, about 14.5 inches/~37 cm tall. There are some extra articles and bits of art that I haven't been posting, too, in case that encourages anyone to give Fantagraphics some business.

Put them on your Christmas list! Don't be "difficult to buy for"!

Medenmath posted:

Vintage Valiant (Jun. 15, 1958)

I really want to play chess in a sauna now.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Hostile V posted:

Never Own/Live In Something You Can Kinkshame

Holbrook should have stopped after this one, because I don't think he can top himself :dadjoke:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Medenmath posted:

Yeah I'm looking forward to how wild his take on climate change is.

in Holbrook fashion, the ocean is lonely and wants to start a family and is going to have a baby ocean.

maybe with the moon.