Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

City of Glompton
Apr 21, 2014

one of my australorps is broody again, but she won't sit on a nest, she just spends her time being chased by my little rooster, who has an irrational hatred of broody hens. her sister does not appreciate this!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtaNFsq95Js

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
That a Jersey Giant? They'll bully a banty rooster.

City of Glompton
Apr 21, 2014

she's an australorp. at the very start of all this last month, he did get beat up by her or one of the other hens, but since then, it's just been chasing, no injuries on either side

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe

City of Glompton posted:

she's an australorp. at the very start of all this last month, he did get beat up by her or one of the other hens, but since then, it's just been chasing, no injuries on either side

He’s a handsome fella but that behavior must be stressful for the flock.

Did you get your NPIP testing done? My local FB chicken group was talking about MG and it reminded me.

City of Glompton
Apr 21, 2014

he’s not too bad, they do not seem unduly stressed. he’s still young, hopefully he’ll learn to be a better rooster as he gets older

we are in the scheduling stage with dept of ag, pending them getting my check for the fee recorded. it seems to be a bit of a slow process here

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe
Today is First Free Range Day for the 3 month old pullets (bigger reds) and the 2 month old chicks.

Until now they had to stay in their 20’x20’ pen so the 23 cockerels in the older group could live their best life until selection day. I culled the cockerels down to 3, so that should be few enough that they will get along ok for a month or so. Then I will select which cockerel(s) to keep from the younger group and go from there.

We are supposed to have hot humid weather this weekend with a heat index in the low 100s and I’ve seen a few people on the local FB chicken group trying to find Faverolles. :classiclol: Eventually I’ll get kicked out of the group for proselytizing about Naked Necks.

Edit: changed to timg, sorry if it was huge.

Joburg fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Jun 29, 2023

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
https://i.imgur.com/SJEW6dF.mp4

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
You’re doing it wrong! :commissar:

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

You've got the same run we did. We only have six girls, so we got the 10 x 15 run. The only gripe I have with it is that they like to scratch around the edges, and I sometimes have to go in with a three prong tool and refill the trenches they've dug.

I up armored mine with welded wire garden fencing around the outside, and attached chicken wire a foot up the sides and stapled two feet out. Gotta keep the raccoons out!

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

Is there another source for this vid? I really want to show my partner it.

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe

MrUnderbridge posted:

You've got the same run we did. We only have six girls, so we got the 10 x 15 run. The only gripe I have with it is that they like to scratch around the edges, and I sometimes have to go in with a three prong tool and refill the trenches they've dug.

I up armored mine with welded wire garden fencing around the outside, and attached chicken wire a foot up the sides and stapled two feet out. Gotta keep the raccoons out!

I didn’t bother to do any predator proofing as these are only to keep the chickens in for short periods, they usually free range all day. All the activity by me and the goats seems to keep the daytime mammalian predators away and the chickens are in the coops at night.

Speaking of predators, this morning the two month old cockerels let me know there was a rat snake near the coops. The little pullets quickly lost interest when they saw it was too big to eat. The cockerels kept after it though so I was able to get my snake grabber and relocate it.

Last Friday I saw a copperhead by the ditch between my house and my neighbor’s. There a lot of room between our houses and the ditch is grown in with trees, so it’s decent habitat for it but I imagine it stays deeper in the woods most of the time. Last year we had a couple dead chickens in the woods that I didn’t find marks on but they weren’t eaten, maybe this was the culprit? It was very interesting to see anyway.

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

Hi thread. The previous owners of our house had chickens and left the coop here, so finally this year we got it fixed up and got four little fluffy dinosaur babbies. They're almost a week old now.

Two Sapphire Gems, and two Buff Orpingtons. Rosie, Petunia, Daisy, and Violet.

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe

Elder Postsman posted:

Hi thread. The previous owners of our house had chickens and left the coop here, so finally this year we got it fixed up and got four little fluffy dinosaur babbies. They're almost a week old now.

Two Sapphire Gems, and two Buff Orpingtons. Rosie, Petunia, Daisy, and Violet.

Adorable!

City of Glompton
Apr 21, 2014

aww they are sweet

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe
Fowl pox :(

Many of our chickens have fowl pox, probably from all of the mosquitos we have this summer. Poor chickies.

City of Glompton
Apr 21, 2014

well that is no fun :(

we have the NPIP tester almost scheduled to come out...supposed to be the 26th but don't have a time yet. meanwhile i now have two hens who each have a swollen eyelid. we are wondering if maybe it is infectious coryza rather than mg? i don't think that is on the list the state test for but we'll see. we called several vets and the next aviary vet appointment isn't available until august :( at least their symptoms are mild

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe

City of Glompton posted:

well that is no fun :(

we have the NPIP tester almost scheduled to come out...supposed to be the 26th but don't have a time yet. meanwhile i now have two hens who each have a swollen eyelid. we are wondering if maybe it is infectious coryza rather than mg? i don't think that is on the list the state test for but we'll see. we called several vets and the next aviary vet appointment isn't available until august :( at least their symptoms are mild

:(
My NPIP tester didn’t test for Coryza. I think it was just MG, MS, pullorum, and avian flu.

It could easily be both MG AND Coryza, like my flock had. (And MS for the trifecta.)

When I took my first hen in, the vet just gave antibiotics and didn’t do any testing until I pushed for it… she just said that lots of flocks are infected and didn’t think it was a big deal. If you don’t ever sell or give away birds than it is probably just a chronic thing you will have to deal with. They will need antibiotics periodically so definitely try to get in with a vet so you can call and get refills when needed.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

1. That's not a rooster.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

I dunno, some demographics get real mad when you show them video of your cock.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Speaking of…

We got 5 chicks back in March, and 1 of them (Leghorn) has been bigger than the rest the whole time, but everything seemed fine. Started growing suspiciously long tail feathers a week ago, and picked today to crow for the first time, and has not stopped since.

It appears that we have a rooster. We’re in a suburb that allows hens but not roosters, and we also do not want to ruin our neighbors lives with the crowing anyway of course.

As a suburban chicken owner, is there a usual course of action to ending up with a rooster?

If the answer is controversial, feel free to PM me.

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

Doom Rooster posted:

Speaking of…

We got 5 chicks back in March, and 1 of them (Leghorn) has been bigger than the rest the whole time, but everything seemed fine. Started growing suspiciously long tail feathers a week ago, and picked today to crow for the first time, and has not stopped since.

It appears that we have a rooster. We’re in a suburb that allows hens but not roosters, and we also do not want to ruin our neighbors lives with the crowing anyway of course.

As a suburban chicken owner, is there a usual course of action to ending up with a rooster?

I know a couple of chicken keepers that trade me roosters for hens just as a courtesy because we exchange advice, chicken-sitting, etc. so I haven’t had this problem

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Some people cull roosters, some slaughter them for meat. If you don't think of them as pets, IME at a Chicken Swap you can usually find someone who will pay you like $5 for a rooster or at least take them for free, and they will slaughter them for meat. I was lucky because my first rooster was a nice Silver Wyandotte and I was able to give him away to some kids who wanted to breed him for FFA. You might find someone who wants a rooster to shepherd their flock, but roosters are easy to get.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

Doom Rooster posted:

Speaking of…

Your options are either rehome to someone who can take him, or like Halloween Jack suggested, straight up cull/butcher. Most people have problems with the second option for personal reasons. The first can just be hard if you don't already have another chicken person to talk to locally.

BHB
Aug 28, 2011
Unfortunately the 'best' answer is getting Autosexing breeds if you can't have roosters so that it isn't a problem in the first place.

The other responses cover your current options pretty well unless you're looking for specific culling methods though.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Thanks all. I really appreciate the advice.

We’ll check around for info on chicken swaps, then reach out to some FB groups. If all else fails, I don’t have a problem with culling if it comes to it.

Fake edit: Doesn’t hurt to put it out there, so if anyone wants a free leghorn rooster delivered to their door in the Denver-ish area, hit me up.

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe
I do raise my cockerels for meat, so if you want any detailed killing advice I’m your gal. You don’t need any fancy equipment and the hardest part is that emotional hurdle of killing a being that you have cared for.

Leghorns are scrawny and aren’t in demand for meat really. If you can do the killing yourself (or have someone do it for you) you can simply bury him under a tree like a regular pet and not feel
like it’s a big waste. Doing it at home at night will be the easiest on him.

If you do sell him or give him away to someone who will be using him for meat, ask if the killing method is calm and humane (broomstick or beheading - yes, bleeding out - no).

This is a good video showing the method that I use. I recommend bookmarking it just in case there’s an emergency and you have to euthanize a chicken.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=qg-DnPEaxRw&feature=sharec

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Joburg posted:

I do raise my cockerels for meat, so if you want any detailed killing advice I’m your gal. You don’t need any fancy equipment and the hardest part is that emotional hurdle of killing a being that you have cared for.

Leghorns are scrawny and aren’t in demand for meat really. If you can do the killing yourself (or have someone do it for you) you can simply bury him under a tree like a regular pet and not feel
like it’s a big waste. Doing it at home at night will be the easiest on him.

If you do sell him or give him away to someone who will be using him for meat, ask if the killing method is calm and humane (broomstick or beheading - yes, bleeding out - no).

This is a good video showing the method that I use. I recommend bookmarking it just in case there’s an emergency and you have to euthanize a chicken.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=qg-DnPEaxRw&feature=sharec

Thanks Joburg, it may come to that so I appreciate the info and the resource. At work right now, but will watch when I get home.

In happier news than “today we found out we have a rooster”, today we ALSO got our first egg from one of our girls!

My wife found it before she had breakfast and texted me. She has honestly done a good bit more work with the chickens than I have, so she deserved it. She fried it over medium with a little salt and said it was amazing.

Thanks thread!

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

Our four are almost big enough to leave the brooder permanently! Had them outside yesterday afternoon, checking out the coop.

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

Elder Postsman posted:

Our four are almost big enough to leave the brooder permanently! Had them outside yesterday afternoon, checking out the coop.

Oh my gosh.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Four inna row!

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe

Elder Postsman posted:

Cuties!

I took a picture of some of mine this morning. Some are more photogenic than others…

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
https://i.imgur.com/msV7crr.mp4

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

:3:

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

The rudest cat for the rudest jobs

OMG

:pusheen:

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe
I know a guy who lost sight in one eye from a chicken peck when he was a toddler. That kid needs PPE.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

same

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

Life goals

BHB
Aug 28, 2011
literally the vince mcmahon escalating reactions meme