Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Bethesda RPG's have mods on consoles, so I don't expect anything else for Starfield. All pc mods should work, except the ones that uses that script thingie iirc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack
So except all the best ones.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
also consoles will have limited space for installing mods.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Yeah, you get 2gb of mod space for fallout 4 on the series x which doesn't really go that far. I don't imagine they'll give much more to starfield

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Azhais posted:

Yeah, you get 2gb of mod space for fallout 4 on the series x which doesn't really go that far. I don't imagine they'll give much more to starfield

lol, just looked up a random 4k hd texture mod for fallout 4 and it's closer to 60gb.
https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/52423?tab=files

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Yeah, when I tried modding my game I had liked vivid fallout all in one, a couple outfit mods, a couple minor qol mods, and that's about all that fit

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
Does Xbox have content restrictions on mods, like if you wanted to put boobs on your spaceship?

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

isndl posted:

Does Xbox have content restrictions on mods, like if you wanted to put boobs on your spaceship?

Yep, horny is illegal on xbox. Also all food in game is replaced with cornflakes to make your character less sinful.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Tankbuster posted:

wasn't zenimax somewhat famously full of a bunch of hollywood suits instead of most other tech companies? Wonder Woman's actress lady did play azura which is cool.

I think you nailed it

Its a different owner now, but they have those working relationships already so might as well bring em in

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

webmeister posted:

If cost is the main concern, just get a console instead?
You could probably get a console and 3 years of gamepass Ultimate and still come out ahead. Yeah you won't get mods, but that's not really worth paying hundreds or thousands extra for imo
I already have a PS5, so getting an xbox isn´t in the plans there. I also tend to prefer to get Bethesda's games on PC since the modding community tends to do a far better job patching their spaghetti code than Bethesda themselves.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
where would bgs games be without arthmoor....

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

if bethesda is actually consistent about the elder scrolls setting hammerfell is going to bring out one of the biggest arthmoor meltdowns ever

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
consistency is overrated. Noticed that a lot whenever fallout lore grognards pop up.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

CHIM will be invoked to explain why everyone in Hammerfell is white now.

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER
nice little interview with Jamie Mallory today

https://bethesda.net/en/article/1LtNXT2pZwmjfZeAkGHYAa/meet-jamie-mallory-producer-at-bethesda-game-studios?linkId=100000211834213

quote:

During the interview, when asked about my long-term goals, I couldn't help but let my enthusiasm shine through. With wide eyes, I said, "I want to be an executive producer one day. I want to be like you guys, walking across the stage at E3 to showcase the amazing work our teams have created. I even have my E3 song already picked out." Now, this is where I screwed up. The next question is obvious, and I felt it in my stomach. I had gotten ahead of myself without thinking about the consequences. Marc and Jesse were staring at me, and the question came, "And what song is that?" Welp, already in the thick of it. Might as well let them know the type of person they are thinking about hiring. I sheepishly replied, "Bad Motherfucker" by Biting Elbows. And oh boy, without hesitation Jesse and Marc burst into laughter, and I was relieved to know I had found my tribe.

The terminals added another layer of depth to the game, usually giving players more insight into the story and lore for the area they are currently in. The Mission Board also kept us all on our toes, ensuring players had exciting challenges to tackle while exploring the cosmos.

But wait, there are more terrible ideas for ships! One of which is a colossal sandwich soaring through space, aptly named "The Griller." The name itself strikes fear, but when you witness this mammoth sub-like creation gracefully landing in a cutscene or zipping across the cosmos, it's pure comedic gold.

Now, as for a Preferred Provolone Palace, I must confess I like to keep my sandwiches or other stolen bounty, close at hand on my ship. It adds a slight element of risk during those thrilling dogfights. But hey, now that you mention it, an Outpost on Earth's Moon (Luna) doesn't sound like such a bad idea. Especially since it's made entirely of cheese! Just kidding. No cheese there.

Most of the content we are currently working on is behind the scenes to the player such as optimizations, etc. But let me tell you about my recent playtesting adventures. Lately, I've been diving deep into the quest lines of all the different factions, and I've been pleasantly surprised by the incredible variety in their storylines. It's like unlocking a treasure trove of captivating narratives that many folks might not even realize exist. While some may rush through the main golden path storyline, those intrepid explorers who venture off the beaten path and delve into the faction quests are in for a real treat.
The amount of content packed into these faction storylines is truly astonishing. It's like embarking on a grand adventure within an adventure, where every choice you make and every interaction you have shapes the course of the tale. The character development, the plot twists, the moral dilemmas—I've been completely hooked! These quests offer a chance to delve deeper into the game's rich lore and uncover hidden gems that add layers of depth and excitement to the overall experience.
So, my fellow gamers, I urge you to take a detour from the main storyline and explore the fascinating world of faction quests. Trust me, the rewards are well worth the extra time and effort. Prepare to be enthralled by the intricate storytelling and immersive gameplay that awaits you. It's like unwrapping a surprise gift within the game itself—a gift that will leave you with unforgettable memories and a renewed appreciation for the boundless creativity of the designers and game developers. Happy questing!

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
PC gamer is producing these really detailed articles on, like, how to build outposts. Are they just summarizing new dev videos I'm not aware of or what?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

August is going to be a painful month to get through.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

Jack B Nimble posted:

PC gamer is producing these really detailed articles on, like, how to build outposts. Are they just summarizing new dev videos I'm not aware of or what?

No, they're speculating based on screenshots from the last big video we had. They're just putting these things up so that when people google "Starfield Outpost Guide" after the game is released they'll be on the top page of results.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

I said come in! posted:

August is going to be a painful month to get through.

Baldur's Gate will tide me over, hopefully.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Jack B Nimble posted:

Far as I can tell they're literally parcelling up the info from the Direct into focused articles on each feature, despite no new information actually being available.

E:

If the predictions were right, we should get another couple of Background animes tomorrow.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

quote:

So, my fellow gamers, I urge you to take a detour from the main storyline and explore the fascinating world of faction quests.

Buddy, I've been playing beth games since Morrowind, taking a detour from the main storyline is the first thing I do.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Vichan posted:

Baldur's Gate will tide me over, hopefully.

Baldur's Gate, armored core 6, new Poe league, August is packed

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
Bombrush Cyberfunk.

Infernot
Jul 17, 2015

"A short night wakes me from a dream that seemed so long."
Grimey Drawer

7c Nickel posted:

Bombrush Cyberfunk.

I think I’m almost more excited for this than Starfield

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
Definitely looking forward to BG3's imminent release, AC6, Cyberpunk 2077 potentially unfucking itself. Starfield, on the other hand...I'm keeping my eye on it, but in the way I'd watch somebody lurking in front of my home for too long.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I would be too if it wasn’t available on Game Pass which you can get dirt cheap (assuming that doesn’t change).

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF
Here is my biggest fear about Starfield. The fantastic thing about Bethesda games is you get the big rear end map, you pick a direction, and go find adventure. You head off to some objective, see something, and off you go to explore.

I don't even use fast travel in Skyrim. But Starfield is going to be all fast travel. You aren't going to come across a cave on your way to a town. You're landing your ship at a town. You aren't coming across a random building on your way to an outpost, you land at the outpost.

While I liked Outer Worlds I don't want Starfield to feel as limited as Outer Worlds and I don't know if it can't. Can you get lost and stumble onto something when you're just glorified fast traveling from objective to objective?

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Oh Starfield is definitely a Gamepass game for me. I think you can mod Gamepass stuff now and most Bethesda game mods are still on Nexus rather than the Steam Workshop so it should be fine for that stuff too

1glitch0 posted:

Here is my biggest fear about Starfield. The fantastic thing about Bethesda games is you get the big rear end map, you pick a direction, and go find adventure. You head off to some objective, see something, and off you go to explore.

I don't even use fast travel in Skyrim. But Starfield is going to be all fast travel. You aren't going to come across a cave on your way to a town. You're landing your ship at a town. You aren't coming across a random building on your way to an outpost, you land at the outpost.

While I liked Outer Worlds I don't want Starfield to feel as limited as Outer Worlds and I don't know if it can't. Can you get lost and stumble onto something when you're just glorified fast traveling from objective to objective?

Yeah I get this. Doubly so since everything location is procedural imo

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I didn’t realize it releases an entire week early for ~•*P R E M I U M*•~ buyers

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Rinkles posted:

I didn’t realize it releases an entire week early for ~•*P R E M I U M*•~ buyers

Where's your Game Pass gods now you sucker

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER

1glitch0 posted:

I rewatched the direct for the first time in awhile and it stuck out to me that they said that they generate the planet as you approach so two friends exploring the same planet in their own games won’t have an identical experience. Authored locations will be fixed but it seems like caves/dungeons/outposts/etc will be the generated part? I wonder how much scanning above the surface will show - will you see every procedural location identified or will that only happen on the ground?
Watching the video back, it seems like it will give you the equivalent of the ? on the map, but the actual location specifics won’t fill in until you are on foot?
I’ll enjoy whatever marketing stuff they put out but I really just want press impressions. Following previous BGS examples, press will get dumped after the intro sequence, when they are set free into the world and they’ll get a couple hours to play (hopefully).
I think we can piece together the rough outline of the game introduction through character creation and meeting the crew, so I just want some written/podcast previews at this point.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Transfored themselves into a duck and currently trying to seduce people -and possibly other ducks- down by the river.

Never ask where gods are, they're all super weird it's just better not knowing. :(

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

GP users can pay for privilege of the premium experience too, fyi.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

1glitch0 posted:

See I think they've actually got this handled pretty well.

Let's say you land on a planet for whatever reason; a quest pointed you there or you needed some neon or whatever. The important part is that there isn't any thing on the planet... yet. When you land, the system stitches in locations around you that are within map marker range. So you check your scanner see that there's a man made structure to the north and you walk over to find a farm that's feuding with another farm because they were both sold fraudulent land rights. You head over to the other farm to resolve the situation and as you travel it drops in a new location as it generates the procedural terrain.

They're not randomly generated. They're the same self contained handcrafted locations Bethesda has always done, but they're able to dole them out from behind the DM screen as you explore. I would say that the real danger is how long they can go before that drip feed runs out. This might be exacerbated by how tailored it is too. How big is the tank for "Freestar Collective Space"+"Snow Biome"+"Has Life"?

7c Nickel fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Aug 1, 2023

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Rinkles posted:

This is extremely tempting, but I am going to hold out.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

It’s not a total scam, cause you’re buying the first expansion with it. It’s the principle I don’t like.

Nyan Bread
Mar 17, 2006

dr_rat posted:

Transfored themselves into a duck and currently trying to seduce people -and possibly other ducks- down by the river.

Never ask where gods are, they're all super weird it's just better not knowing. :(

That level one alien crustacean the player unknowingly puts a slug through with their newbie plasma pistol is actually the spawn of superintelligent multidimensional beings of infinite age, thus fast tracking the work order to build an interstellar highway right through the center of the Milky Way.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Rinkles posted:

It’s not a total scam, cause you’re buying the first expansion with it. It’s the principle I don’t like.

Never know, it could be this generation's Daikatana and now you're stuck with the expansion too

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

It's me, I'm the game pass haver who preordered the ~•*P R E M I U M*•~ edition.

Partly because it's something I want to own on Steam, partly for the DLC content I know I'll buy anyway, partly for ease of mind for modding, and yeah partly because hey 5 days early is 5 days early.

Gotta experience that ~•*H Y P E R J A N K*•~ that comes with playing before whatever day1 patch they push out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Premium is compatible with the game pass version. You can buy the Premium Upgrade separately and it will unlock the game pass version on Sept 1.

I bought it, I have never done something like that before but Starfield looks like it will be worth it. And seeing everyone else play it while I would have to wait a week would be sad times.