Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Does every organisation that uses Google Apps Suite Workspace also subscribe to Slack and Zoom? My side gig uses Google and the bundled chat and meeting stuff is really bad, and in true Google fashion it doesn't look like they've developed it much for a few years. I joined a meeting the other day and just assumed that I could hand control of my shared screen to someone else but lol, nope.

Thanks Ants fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Jul 28, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Thanks Ants posted:

Does every organisation that uses Google Apps Suite Workspace also subscribe to Slack and Zoom?

Yes or Slack and Bluejeans

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Goddamnit. I'm up early so I can shower and shave, take a 7am call, and head for the bus immediately after.

Meeting rescheduled at 6:42am. :commissar:

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Arquinsiel posted:

I have a report in QA as of posting and I'm keeping an eye on it. If it happens again I'm going to make it stop.
Following up on this, I have no idea why the bulletpoint thing happened and/or someone else got to him before I did.

However, we are now to treat all customers like complete idiots and write all the pointless fluff that our customers have always praised us for not wasting their time with :confuoot:

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Wasted 2 days cloning drives for 5 more or less hyper-basic Win 10 laptops using an external SSD adapter to clone the internal SSD of the source laptop, loving around trying to figure out why the newly cloned laptops werent identifying their new SSD, and being denied permission to just make a drat .iso on a USB for em instead.

Still didnt figure it out. Will resume Monday I guess! Technician work is loving weird.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Dandywalken posted:

Wasted 2 days cloning drives for 5 more or less hyper-basic Win 10 laptops using an external SSD adapter to clone the internal SSD of the source laptop, loving around trying to figure out why the newly cloned laptops werent identifying their new SSD, and being denied permission to just make a drat .iso on a USB for em instead.

Still didnt figure it out. Will resume Monday I guess! Technician work is loving weird.

Computers are the loving worst

Christe Eleison
Feb 1, 2010

mllaneza posted:

Goddamnit. I'm up early so I can shower and shave, take a 7am call, and head for the bus immediately after.

Meeting rescheduled at 6:42am. :commissar:

My boss does this all the time. I’d rather he let me know instead of sitting in a one-person meeting, but it happens with surprising frequency.

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

Microsoft Edge.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

Opera just updated to version 100 (calling it Opera One for some dumb reason) and decided to completely gently caress up their layout. Everything looks like poo poo and I hate it.

https://imgur.com/a/405NB05

I wish I could go back to the Blink version of Opera. :(

Sywert of Thieves fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Aug 1, 2023

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

why aren't you using Firefox

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!
AI? In my browser?

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

Sywert of Thieves posted:

Opera just updated to version 100 (calling it Opera One for some dumb reason) and decided to completely gently caress up their layout. Everything looks like poo poo and I hate it.

https://imgur.com/a/405NB05

I wish I could go back to the Blink version of Opera. :(

https://vivaldi.com

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday
I am apparently the only person on my team capable of thinking critically about technological objectives and how to accomplish them.

I am not paid like I am the only person on my team capable of thinking critically about technological objectives and how to accomplish them.

This is poo poo that pisses me off.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I know them feels. Today I pointed out that the tech lead advised a customer to commit a very very very small crime that nobody but a PCI-DSS auditor would ever care about.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

firefox is the only non webkit/blink/chromium/whatever browser left so it's your moral imperative to use it

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"

Arquinsiel posted:

I know them feels. Today I pointed out that the tech lead advised a customer to commit a very very very small crime that nobody but a PCI-DSS auditor would ever care about.

If no one but a PCI auditor would care is it even a crime?

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Had a conversation today wherein someone I respect deeply talked about how she hopes that her org is not just building a plane in mid-flight, but that what they're building mid-flight is a plane in the first place.

This panicked one month deadline for a migration comes at the tail of a two and a half year game of delay after delay after delay of management of a client determining whether they need to comply with certain security frameworks (trivially, they do, per contacts they've been signing for years now and I have read word by word). Bless their souls.

Their management, to wit: "Wouldn't it be easier to just pretend we don't need to do any of this?" Repeat every month for nearly three years.

Remind me, what are executives useful for again?

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Aug 2, 2023

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Wouldn't it be easier if we just....global revolution right now?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

A revolution does sound nice but I'd probably be in the first wave to die when infrastructure breaks down so I am a bit conflicted.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

i am a moron posted:

Honestly nobody gives a gently caress about violating the licence conditions of free software, but doing it to achieve security through obscurity is a lovely risk to take to partially mitigate a non-exploitable vulnerability. Advising a client to do so just makes us look bad as a company on every level.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"

Arquinsiel posted:

Honestly nobody gives a gently caress about violating the licence conditions of free software, but doing it to achieve security through obscurity is a lovely risk to take to partially mitigate a non-exploitable vulnerability. Advising a client to do so just makes us look bad as a company on every level.

This is an incredible combination of words

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

This, the intro video, and the wikpedia page is absolutely perfect to me in at least 6 ways. Thank you so much! :dance:

vv It is, and that's in the list of reasons too

Sywert of Thieves fucked around with this message at 10:09 on Aug 2, 2023

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

Vivaldi is literally made by a bunch of former Opera devs, afaik

afflictionwisp
Aug 26, 2003
Consumer power strips used in every rack in the site's server room instead of PDUs.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

i am a moron posted:

The P doesn’t stand for prosecutor

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

i am a moron posted:

This is an incredible combination of words
I hate that my life has become this. I think it's time to :yotj:

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Spent an hour troubleshooting why rsync wasnt properly working from my home raspberry pi weather station to my vps.

Discovered that the vps didnt have rsync installed. God damnit...

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
I’d like to know how to build a home weather station using a Rasberry Pi.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

I'll send you a PM with some more details!

Basically the Pi runs sql and the site that just gets rsync'd to my VPS. It also does all the data parsing, graphing, etc. Theres a whole world of home weather enthusiasts here - https://www.wxforum.net/index.php

My site runs WeeWx with a popular skin called Belchertown. I LOVE this thing, my local weather can be drastically different than the local NOAA stations. This project has been a weather nerds dream, plus I can contribute to other weather information providers which is pretty cool!

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.
yeah i need to know more about home weather stations. been thinking about building one recently.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I think I'll get onto that once some decent Thread/Matter options are available

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

dc3k posted:

yeah i need to know more about home weather stations. been thinking about building one recently.

Netatmo makes a decent one but it's HomeKit only. My unit is mostly accurate given how wildly variable the weather has become here.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Home automation is an area I've yet to delve into, I just dont have much interest myself. But a lot of the home weather enthusiasts link their systems to home HVAC in ways I dont fully understand. Like having AC units cycle up ahead of time in the temps outside raise.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I think the most efficient way (at least for gas heating) to run the system is to accurately calculate the heat loss of the house to get your number for the KW requirements to maintain 20c at 0c external temp, and then run the system 24x7 at a low flow temp with maximum condensing and modulating the burners right down, with an outdoor sensor doing weather compensation. Rather than having a thermostat kicking the thing off and on all the time.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic
All good home automation setups should, when they work correctly, make you feel like you’re the captain of the loving Enterprise.

The unfortunate tradeoff is that setup and troubleshooting of said system requires you to be the chief engineer. Like this poo poo:

Thanks Ants posted:

…accurately calculate the heat loss of the house to get your number for the KW requirements to maintain 20c at 0c external temp, and then run the system 24x7 at a low flow temp with maximum condensing and modulating the burners right down, with an outdoor sensor doing weather compensation.

Is some loving technobabble Scotty or Geordi is yelling over the comms as the warp core is melting down.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Thanks Ants posted:

I think the most efficient way (at least for gas heating) to run the system is to accurately calculate the heat loss of the house to get your number for the KW requirements to maintain 20c at 0c external temp, and then run the system 24x7 at a low flow temp with maximum condensing and modulating the burners right down, with an outdoor sensor doing weather compensation. Rather than having a thermostat kicking the thing off and on all the time.

Or simply buying netatmo weather station, plus netatmo thermostat and netatmo thermostatic valves and let it do the calculations.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Blue Moonlight posted:

All good home automation setups should, when they work correctly, make you feel like you’re the captain of the loving Enterprise.

The unfortunate tradeoff is that setup and troubleshooting of said system requires you to be the chief engineer. Like this poo poo:

Is some loving technobabble Scotty or Geordi is yelling over the comms as the warp core is melting down.

which is great for heating but unfortunately the underlying mechanics and physics of how air conditioning works really does not lend itself well to throttling or proportional control, even more so the smaller your installation is.

shame on an IGA fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Aug 3, 2023

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

There are a bunch of weather stations that can be configured to also report in to Weather Underground if anyone wants to go the easy route.

https://www.wunderground.com/pws/buying-guide

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Blue Moonlight posted:

You can get 90% of the way there with OOTB Google/Alexa stuff now. My espresso machine turns on before I wake up to preheat and turns off at noon. My streamdeck controls every light visible from my office with the door open because someone keeps leaving them on and it's annoying in my peripheral vision. The air conditioning shifts from the downstairs during the day when we're working to the upstairs at night when we're not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday
Apple continues to half-rear end enterprise support through third parties and that's More poo poo That Pisses Me Off.