Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baba Oh Really
May 21, 2005
Get 'ER done

The big draw for a lot of people is whether you care about hardware transcoding which is free with Jellyfin versus paying for it with Plex. Most people here paid for the lifetime Plex pass which is a good deal so they don't have to bother with Jellyfin but if you don't care give Jellyfin a try first since it's free.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Beaten into submission by my fiance
Pillbug

Hughlander posted:

(For me, I YouTube-dl tech channels then watch at 2x speed on a iPad. Jellyfin and Emby are both horrible for organizing YouTube dl content)

Do you have a write up of how to get this to work? I’ve tried doing this and never had any luck.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Ive been using Prowl on iOS to get my push notifications from Sonarr/Radarr since forever.

is there a better app for this in the modern world? it doesnt seem to have been updated in forever in terms of adding features.

I dont like that I can tell Sonarr to grab a whole season of a show and it notifies me of every. single. episode completing download. just tell me when the season completes or completes (with errors/failures)

fine being told S03E09 is downloaded and waiting, but getting 20 notifications one by one is annoying. maybe theres a newere competitor that takes these things into consideration?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Corin Tucker's Stalker posted:

I like how you can disable episode descriptions in Jellyfin. Every time I tried Plex some spoiler was shoved in my face, and I didn't see any way to turn that garbage off.

This used to be a feature so I looked it up, and apparently it was taken out for some reason.

Good episode descriptions shouldn’t do that, lame whoever puts spoilers in. ‘Barry’ has the best ones.

diremonk
Jun 17, 2008

This might be an strange ask for help, but is there a way to have a standard search going all the time, but not have SAB download the files?

I'm in the process of upgrading my library to x265 1080p, but I don't want everything that comes down to be grabbed since some shows I'm OK with it being in either SD or 720p and others I'd like to get a certain release group. I've been doing a search every couple of days in NZBHydra and seeing what has been posted but is there a better way. I could setup a watchlist in one of my indexers but then I'm limited to what they have. I suppose I could setup a RSS reader and have that checking the feeds, but that seems inefficient.

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007
Is there a good tool for batch file renaming previous DLs based on folder name or detected content?

The Gillman
Jul 8, 2004
Beaten with a sack of sweet Valencia oranges
Grimey Drawer

Laserface posted:

Ive been using Prowl on iOS to get my push notifications from Sonarr/Radarr since forever.

is there a better app for this in the modern world? it doesnt seem to have been updated in forever in terms of adding features.

I dont like that I can tell Sonarr to grab a whole season of a show and it notifies me of every. single. episode completing download. just tell me when the season completes or completes (with errors/failures)

fine being told S03E09 is downloaded and waiting, but getting 20 notifications one by one is annoying. maybe theres a newere competitor that takes these things into consideration?

I use Pushover for mine

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

diremonk posted:

This might be an strange ask for help, but is there a way to have a standard search going all the time, but not have SAB download the files?

I'm in the process of upgrading my library to x265 1080p, but I don't want everything that comes down to be grabbed since some shows I'm OK with it being in either SD or 720p and others I'd like to get a certain release group. I've been doing a search every couple of days in NZBHydra and seeing what has been posted but is there a better way. I could setup a watchlist in one of my indexers but then I'm limited to what they have. I suppose I could setup a RSS reader and have that checking the feeds, but that seems inefficient.

You can require keywords using Profiles. I do that when I'm getting a Japanese Linux ISO series and want to get them all from the same release group for consistency. Go Settings > Profiles and make a new one, enter the group name in Must Contain and give it a tag name down in Tags.

Then in the show itself click the Edit wrench and enter the same tag name in its details. Now only releases with the Must Contain string will be grabbed, and the matching tags means it only applies to that one show (not having tags would make the profile apply to ALL shows).

MixMasterMalaria posted:

Is there a good tool for batch file renaming previous DLs based on folder name or detected content?

If you're using *arrs, they have built-in rename:

You can get pretty crazy with the naming pattern code and have it include all kind of info, quality metadata, IMDB/TVDB codes etc.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

gariig posted:

Do you have a write up of how to get this to work? I’ve tried doing this and never had any luck.

No but if you're on any sort of goon discords you can ping my username and I can talk about it a bit and maybe have that lead to a writeup.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
I am extremely confused, you guys know that youtube on ipad does 2x playback right?

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Taima posted:

I am extremely confused, you guys know that youtube on ipad does 2x playback right?

A) Have you ever tried watching a channel with 700 videos on youtube? And keep track of what you've seen vs not seen?
B) How long will your data last doing 2 hours of youtube at 2x speed?

Violator
May 15, 2003

diremonk posted:

I suppose I could setup a RSS reader and have that checking the feeds, but that seems inefficient.

I do this for random weird stuff that I want, like old paranormal talk radio shows or VHS rips from decades ago. It's not stuff I have any timely need for but I'm always happy when something pops up because Usenet can get the weirdest random things. I have a collection of Bigfoot and UFO documentaries from the early 70's that would otherwise be gone like tears in the rain if it wasn't for some dude presumably living in a bunker in the desert who posted them.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Hughlander posted:

A) Have you ever tried watching a channel with 700 videos on youtube? And keep track of what you've seen vs not seen?
A. Youtube has a red bar that shows up over the thumbnail when browsing indicating whether you've watched a video and even if you left off in the middle.
B. How would using Youtube-DL to load the videos in to my Plex library change my data usage? If I'm at home I'm using the WiFi connected to >gigabit fiber and don't care about data usage, if I'm mobile Youtube can dynamically switch resolutions on the fly where Plex would have to transcode to show anything other than whatever version ytdl grabbed so the Plex method is at best the exact same video stream and probably worse if it goes to transcoding.

There are good reasons to download youtube content, because videos get taken down all the time (the deeper sections of my "Watch Later" list are a wasteland of dead links at this point), but your two points don't make sense to me.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Point A is the most unreliable thing on the internet. It completely forgets things I’ve seen, and marks things done that I’ve never seen or has just been in a list going by.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Hughlander posted:

Hmm I guess we just have different experiences. I don't really experience point A; it tracks what I've seen, and I've never really had an issue of note. And I watch a shitload of Youtube :shrug:

Point B has never been an issue for me, and you're downloading it anyways, so I don't really get how that saves data, but this could be a big regional difference because I've lived in two places recently in the USA and neither had home network data caps of any kind, and my midline, non-premium cell phone plan allows infinite youtube with the caveat that you have to keep it to lower resolutions (which is actually fine, Youtube has pretty good compression).

Anyways do you man I just wanted to make sure you knew Youtube handled 2x and such. Just kinda sounds like a big hassle honestly, but what do I know.

EL BROMANCE posted:

Point A is the most unreliable thing on the internet. It completely forgets things I’ve seen, and marks things done that I’ve never seen or has just been in a list going by.

That's so interesting to me. I've just never had this happen. I use the same account across devices and it tracks everything. I actively switch devices all the time too so I would notice if it wasn't tracking. :shrug:

Whatever works at the end of the day.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
The new "feature" where videos will start playing in the thumbnail can gently caress with the watch tracker, I have noticed videos I just moused over showing up as partially watched.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
I like to grab music videos. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

wolrah posted:

The new "feature" where videos will start playing in the thumbnail can gently caress with the watch tracker, I have noticed videos I just moused over showing up as partially watched.

It's also a really stupid feature, but fortunately it can be turned off in the settings.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Hughlander posted:

I’ve never found anything Jellyfin is better at. But plex is much better at some edge use cases that if it matters to you, you’ll never use anything else. (For me, I YouTube-dl tech channels then watch at 2x speed on a iPad. Jellyfin and Emby are both horrible for organizing YouTube dl content)

Are you using an agent or anything for those? I’ve used ZeroQL’s for a while new and while it mostly works I’m always open to hearing about other options.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

deong posted:

I like to grab music videos. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Unfortunately I think YouTube really is the best source for them these days.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Hughlander posted:

(For me, I YouTube-dl tech channels then watch at 2x speed on a iPad. Jellyfin and Emby are both horrible for organizing YouTube dl content)

I've had bad luck trying to organize content for Plex that didn't match whatever metadata downloader. How do you organize it?

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Sub Rosa posted:

I've had bad luck trying to organize content for Plex that didn't match whatever metadata downloader. How do you organize it?

For stuff like YT videos and others that aren't 'real' TV or movies I put into a Plex library called 'Other Videos'. This means Plex won't bother trying to look up or otherwise identify what a file is and you can enter whatever metadata you want. Then throw things into Collections like Music Videos, Concerts, Comedy Skits etc

Takes No Damage fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Jul 1, 2023

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Warbird posted:

Are you using an agent or anything for those? I’ve used ZeroQL’s for a while new and while it mostly works I’m always open to hearing about other options.

Sub Rosa posted:

I use ZeroQ (QL?) agent, then wrote a plex-api script that will add to a collection based on the directory structure. (So each channel is it's own collection as well.) I also wrote a patch to youtube-dl that will let me check the the video was posted by the uploader to avoid grabbing things that someone liked/saved/whatever.

I then have another script that for each collection, make a smart playlist of that collection where status is unwatched, and if that playlist is empty prepend ~ to the begining of it. (This puts the playlists with no new content at the end of the list of playlists)

Again I should probably just write this up since there's a lot involved and I did it in bits and pieces over the course of weeks to small number of months.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Donated $5 to notifiarr, now I can easily modify my sonarr/radarr to trash using a GUI. Feels good man.

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

Anyone else on Eweka experiencing really inconsistent download speeds the last few days? It will go anywhere from 7MB/s to 800KB/s and fluctuate like mad, but generally it's on the lower end. A different service (also on Omicron but different backbone) doesn't have this problem.

SlipperyNipple
Jan 24, 2010

Former Human posted:

Anyone else on Eweka experiencing really inconsistent download speeds the last few days? It will go anywhere from 7MB/s to 800KB/s and fluctuate like mad, but generally it's on the lower end. A different service (also on Omicron but different backbone) doesn't have this problem.

are you located in north america or anywhere not EU? Since eweka only has eu servers if there is traffic problems i think you will see the effects of this even more being so far away.

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

Yeah I'm in the US but never had an issue until recently. I started a support request but never got a response.

SlipperyNipple
Jan 24, 2010

Former Human posted:

Yeah I'm in the US but never had an issue until recently. I started a support request but never got a response.

honestly you will probably see very similar completion and retention from any of the other omicron sellers and they have the benefit of a USA server location too.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
Kinda late but one big advantage of Jellyfin is that it works completely offline because the login is local, no need to access any other online service. The UI is not great but combine it with Infuse on Apple TV/iOS and it’s suddenly the best combo IMO.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

lordfrikk posted:

Kinda late but one big advantage of Jellyfin is that it works completely offline because the login is local, no need to access any other online service. The UI is not great but combine it with Infuse on Apple TV/iOS and it’s suddenly the best combo IMO.

Is this not also true of Plex? I can't remember if I've ever specifically tested it but I know you can hit the web UI using the local address rather than going through plex.tv or whatever.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Takes No Damage posted:

Is this not also true of Plex? I can't remember if I've ever specifically tested it but I know you can hit the web UI using the local address rather than going through plex.tv or whatever.

You can, but if you auth expires it requires internet access to reauth unless you have all the settings correct for local network access that seems to change/get changed during some upgrades and I never remember to go back and check them.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

You have to go make a change in the settings to exclude you LAN’s CIDR for auth or something like that but it’s not enabled by default or reasonably accessible to the average user.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

In other matters, is Lidarr a nightmare to use or am I just dumb? It seems incredibly slow on top of being just the worst to get to take a god drat manual import and rename the file right.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Warbird posted:

In other matters, is Lidarr a nightmare to use or am I just dumb? It seems incredibly slow on top of being just the worst to get to take a god drat manual import and rename the file right.

The very very limited experience I had with it was all bad fwiw. Just seemed jankier than the two bigger *arrs and it kept loving up renames and seemed to struggle moving things around properly etc. I wonder now if there are some sort of permissions error(s) to look into but I didn't really "need" lidarr that much so I just forgot about it and haven't tried to mess with it since.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Takes No Damage posted:

The way I did it was go to Networking settings in Plex and there's a bar where you can input ip addresses to be allowed without auth.

You then enable whatever the ip range for your local devices are:

https://www.howtogeek.com/303282/how-to-use-plex-media-server-without-internet-access/

Be careful, you must do this now, not when you lose internet. I made that mistake myself. It's pretty sweet though; everything loads snappy without auth.

I believe this is the format:

quote:

On your Plex server account, go to Settings > Network. Then under "List of IP addresses and networks that are allowed without auth" add this:
192.168.X.0/24,172.16.0.0/12

Replace the X with your specific subnet.

For flexibility, it's very important that you add the entire IP range of your devices. There are also other ways to access Plex without internet, but in my opinion this is the best way.

Taima fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Jul 28, 2023

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Hey btw, I use a separate desktop machine to run my Plex server. It's pretty large at this point, roughly 10 high capacity hard drives.

That's all fine, my question is, does anyone know how to keep the hard drives inactive until they are queried to display content?

I am considering using the desktop computer for normal use, but it's currently a little sluggish because of all the HDDs attached to it. I just want to use the OS SSD drive until someone activates a video file on one of the plex drives; at that point the drive can activate but otherwise I would like them to be dormant if possible.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Taima posted:

Hey btw, I use a separate desktop machine to run my Plex server. It's pretty large at this point, roughly 10 high capacity hard drives.

That's all fine, my question is, does anyone know how to keep the hard drives inactive until they are queried to display content?

I am considering using the desktop computer for normal use, but it's currently a little sluggish because of all the HDDs attached to it. I just want to use the OS SSD drive until someone activates a video file on one of the plex drives; at that point the drive can activate but otherwise I would like them to be dormant if possible.

This is a power saving setting question that is 100% dependent on the operating system you're running and potentially drivers/driver compatibility.

Violator
May 15, 2003

Warbird posted:

Yeah, I used it for about a month and gave up and turned it off. It took too much babysitting for what I was trying to use it for.

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

Taima posted:

Your not in active use hard drives should not be slowing down the processing of the system in any reasonable way. Why do you think turning the HDD's off will improve the performance of the system?

Rawrbomb fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Jul 28, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Violator
May 15, 2003

Yeah, it may be different on Windows and in your setup, but for me powering down hard drives was a huge performance hit because every time I needed to access them or the system wanted to do something (like a global search or status scan) I had to wait for them to spin up. I would literally sit there and hear each one spin up while the UI beachballed until everything came online.

This was a few years ago so it might be different now, but I long ago set everything not to sleep. Especially on my Plex setup where I never know when someone will be watching something.