Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Travelpass automatically turns on as soon as your phone tries to do anything that would need Travelpass and they'll send you a text telling you as such. If you manage to hit the data cap, it'll send you another to optionally charge you $10 for more, but I think we only managed that on some very busy days posting lots of photos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tonic
Jan 4, 2003

With the new myplan system, can some lines be in “welcome” and some be on “plus” on the same account? Or do you have to pick one or the other?

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

tonic posted:

With the new myplan system, can some lines be in “welcome” and some be on “plus” on the same account? Or do you have to pick one or the other?

You can mix between the two, and plans on Mix and Match can have lines with those as well

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

PSA for everyone about traveling internationally and TravelPass. I called Verizon and double checked with them on everything.

-TravelPass gives you access to your current plan while abroad and automatically activates when your phone transmits or receives a call/text/data outside of US/Canada/Mexico.
- 1 TravelPass day is good for 24 hours. If you go over the number of free TravelPass days from your plan, it's generally $10/day.
-You can call the US or the country you're in, but e.g. if you're in one European country and want to call another, you have to pay per minute, generally $1.99/min, unless you add an international plan which is like $120/mo.
-WiFi calling DOES NOT prevent you from triggering all this. Basically, WiFi calling would just be a way to get a better signal. This is something the CSR told me incorrectly.

You might think that turning on airplane mode and only using WiFi would prevent triggering TravelPass. However, because of the WiFi calling exception, if someone calls you, that will trigger a TravelPass day unless you turn off WiFi calling. You will not be able to turn it on again until you return to the U.S. and connect to a Verizon tower.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Jun 19, 2023

Weird Uncle Dave
Sep 2, 2003

I could do this all day.

Buglord
How long does it take for used TravelPass days to show up on your bill/to be deducted from your accrued balance? One of the lines on my account was in the Dominican Republic in mid-April, and I haven’t yet seen any days drop off or any :10bux: charges.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Weird Uncle Dave posted:

How long does it take for used TravelPass days to show up on your bill/to be deducted from your accrued balance? One of the lines on my account was in the Dominican Republic in mid-April, and I haven’t yet seen any days drop off or any :10bux: charges.

A monthly bill cycle. So….I would just take it as is unless you get a random bill later, maybe they messed up.

bulbous nub
Jul 29, 2007

It's ok; I'm taking it back.
Lipstick Apathy
I disconnected my Verizon service about 3ish weeks ago to move to T-Mobile (promo was just too good.) I still haven’t received my final bill from Verizon which I need for my T-Mobile promo. Customer service initially told me to wait until my billing cycle ended on the 22nd. Last night they told me that they could only physically send it but also had none of the info on balance due or expected charges. How does getting a final bill work?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

bulbous nub posted:

I disconnected my Verizon service about 3ish weeks ago to move to T-Mobile (promo was just too good.) I still haven’t received my final bill from Verizon which I need for my T-Mobile promo. Customer service initially told me to wait until my billing cycle ended on the 22nd. Last night they told me that they could only physically send it but also had none of the info on balance due or expected charges. How does getting a final bill work?

Depends on when your bill cycle is. Remaining balance of whatever devices will show up either on that bill or it could take another month , it generates in bill cycles, so if it misses the “print” date it just goes to the next one.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
Both myself and my partners phones have the insurance on them, so that if they're lost, stolen or crushed under a car they're covered.

Can I use that to just replace our aging phones with something newer? Or will they only give us the same model.

Got an Galaxy 8 and 10, for reference. My phone even has a bunch of dead pixels, I forgot I had the coverage.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
They (usually) will give you the same model, and worse, it's usually "factory reconditioned," so you run the risk of inheriting someone else's buggy-rear end phone (or one that has a worn down/out battery) that worked just well enough for the overworked QA tech who probably just confirmed it turns on.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Jaxyon posted:

Both myself and my partners phones have the insurance on them, so that if they're lost, stolen or crushed under a car they're covered.

Can I use that to just replace our aging phones with something newer? Or will they only give us the same model.

Got an Galaxy 8 and 10, for reference. My phone even has a bunch of dead pixels, I forgot I had the coverage.

As the post above says, yeah you would get same type replacement.

I would call the sales department though, you may get $800 for the 10 (it might be a bit less for the 8 but you never know) to trade in towards a S23.

Sales: (800) 392-0717

Btw, if you keep the insurance (def don’t feel obligated to) I recommend the $7 or $11 monthly (or group if you’re part of a group plan).

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Duckman2008 posted:

As the post above says, yeah you would get same type replacement.

I would call the sales department though, you may get $800 for the 10 (it might be a bit less for the 8 but you never know) to trade in towards a S23.

Sales: (800) 392-0717

Btw, if you keep the insurance (def don’t feel obligated to) I recommend the $7 or $11 monthly (or group if you’re part of a group plan).

That's correct, 800 for the 10 and 500 for the 8.

Last time we changed phones they had a cool program that kinda copied everything over from old phone to new. They still have that?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Jaxyon posted:

That's correct, 800 for the 10 and 500 for the 8.

Last time we changed phones they had a cool program that kinda copied everything over from old phone to new. They still have that?

Yup, your phones already have Samsung smart switch on them , use that app to transfer. New phone should prompt you through it.

$500 for a S8 is pretty good IMO, glad to hear it.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Gotta switch out of our old plans though.

Not surprising because the whole point of discounting the phones is to lock us in

MREBoy
Mar 14, 2005

MREs - They're whats for breakfast, lunch AND dinner !
I bought an S23 Ultra (Unlocked) from Amazon to replace my 20 Ultra (starting to have hardware issues with the USB plug after 3.5 years), is swapping the phones around something doable online or should I go to a local Verizon retail place ? And if anyone happens to know will Samsung Smart Switch be able to move data that's on an SD card ? s20 has a slot, s23 does not.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
I'm trying to survive on this iPhone 11 Pro until the new ones arrive in a few months (no free space, not willing to janitor my messages to recover).

Currently I have the December 2019-era "BUSINESS UNLIMITED SMARTPHONE $45" with 2 lines. It looks like it's 4G and I'd need to move to Business Unlimited Start/Plus/Pro to get 5G. We use about 3GB per month.

If I want to be able to use the 15 Pro basically as soon as it comes out, what's the order of operations and how should I handle changing plans? The Standard (non-business) plans like "Unlimited Plus" seem to be $50/line so not sure if I should switch back to personal plan style somehow.

Hed fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Jul 14, 2023

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

MREBoy posted:

I bought an S23 Ultra (Unlocked) from Amazon to replace my 20 Ultra (starting to have hardware issues with the USB plug after 3.5 years), is swapping the phones around something doable online or should I go to a local Verizon retail place ? And if anyone happens to know will Samsung Smart Switch be able to move data that's on an SD card ? s20 has a slot, s23 does not.

Just swap the SIM and you’re fine.

Don’t go to the store. SIM cards are free, they’ll charge for content transfer.

Samsung smart switch will transfer stuff from SD card too, so you should be fine.

Hed posted:

I'm trying to survive on this iPhone 11 Pro until the new ones arrive in a few months (no free space, not willing to janitor my messages to recover).

Currently I have the December 2019-era "BUSINESS UNLIMITED SMARTPHONE $45" with 2 lines. It looks like it's 4G and I'd need to move to Business Unlimited Start/Plus/Pro to get 5G. We use about 3GB per month.

If I want to be able to use the 15 Pro basically as soon as it comes out, what's the order of operations and how should I handle changing plans? The Standard (non-business) plans like "Unlimited Plus" seem to be $50/line so not sure if I should switch back to personal plan style somehow.

So I don’t work in the business department, although I’ll try to remember to check with a friend on this. The $45 bus plan was really good pricing for two lines, so price wise it’s pretty good.

FYI all plans get the base 5G. You may not get the faster 5GUW.

If you don’t care about data speeds and are happy where you are, I would get phone, just swap SIMs and keep plan as is. Your plan def gets priority data btw, so that’s another reason to keep it.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Duckman2008 posted:

So I don’t work in the business department, although I’ll try to remember to check with a friend on this. The $45 bus plan was really good pricing for two lines, so price wise it’s pretty good.

FYI all plans get the base 5G. You may not get the faster 5GUW.

If you don’t care about data speeds and are happy where you are, I would get phone, just swap SIMs and keep plan as is. Your plan def gets priority data btw, so that’s another reason to keep it.

Awesome! So I can just get the phone from Apple, pop the SIM out of my 11 Pro, and put it into my new one? Do I need to unlock my 11 or anything? It’s been years since I’ve looked into this.
Thanks duckman.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Hed posted:

Awesome! So I can just get the phone from Apple, pop the SIM out of my 11 Pro, and put it into my new one? Do I need to unlock my 11 or anything? It’s been years since I’ve looked into this.
Thanks duckman.

No you’re fine. If you buy the phone outright from apple or whatever, cool just swap the SIM.

Your 11 is unlocked , all Verizon bought phones are unlocked after 2 months of use. Sell it for a few hundred bucks.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Duckman2008 posted:

No you’re fine. If you buy the phone outright from apple or whatever, cool just swap the SIM.

Your 11 is unlocked , all Verizon bought phones are unlocked after 2 months of use. Sell it for a few hundred bucks.

Well iPhone 15 Pro will probably be eSIM only so gotta convert the physical to eSIM.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Buff Hardback posted:

Well iPhone 15 Pro will probably be eSIM only so gotta convert the physical to eSIM.

Oh good point. Only thing you’ll have to do is call in to swap to eSIM, it sounds like you’re the account holder so shouldn’t be an issue there.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

can I ask about FiOS stuff here? I've just canceled my service with them and they're trying to get me on the hook for two routers when I only had one. has anybody here dealt with this poo poo before? Google turns up loads of people struggling to not get charged for not returning equipment they didn't have

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

grieving for Gandalf posted:

can I ask about FiOS stuff here? I've just canceled my service with them and they're trying to get me on the hook for two routers when I only had one. has anybody here dealt with this poo poo before? Google turns up loads of people struggling to not get charged for not returning equipment they didn't have

You can def ask, but unfortunately I have no idea. This is the direct number for Fios, only thing I have. (800) 837-4966

schreibs
Oct 11, 2009

I got a 32.50 charge for a letter salad that I am unable to decipher and Verizon billing is closed. Anyone know wtf this is? SMA RAR HAM T WL B

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

schreibs posted:

I got a 32.50 charge for a letter salad that I am unable to decipher and Verizon billing is closed. Anyone know wtf this is? SMA RAR HAM T WL B

Verizon is open like , 8-9 eastern minimum. Try calling Verizon here (800) 392-0717

schreibs
Oct 11, 2009

Thanks, got it all figured out!

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Did it have to do with a hum?

schreibs
Oct 11, 2009

Nope, I bought some earbuds but had no idea thats what it was for given that line item on the bill

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Just got an email that my phone bill is going up $3 per line because we’re on the old plan (we have 5 lines). This is after they just added a $2 per line bogus fee a couple of months back. I’m honestly thinking of switching back to T-Mobile, maybe when the new iPhones come out.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
I’d be all over that T Mobile “two lines for $55 for old people” plan but they don’t have coverage in the block or two around my house. It’s fine elsewhere in town. Welp.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Silly Burrito posted:

Just got an email that my phone bill is going up $3 per line because we’re on the old plan (we have 5 lines). This is after they just added a $2 per line bogus fee a couple of months back. I’m honestly thinking of switching back to T-Mobile, maybe when the new iPhones come out.

I’m back on the phones in mid august. I want me to check for you ?

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Duckman2008 posted:

I’m back on the phones in mid august. I want me to check for you ?

Thanks, and you’re switching back??? Hope all is well. From what I’ve read, you can’t switch to the newer plans without losing your iPhone promo. I only have four payments left but I definitely don’t want that to hit early if I can avoid it.

I found that T-Mobile actually allows you to download an e-Sim to test their network free for 90 days, so I’m trying that just to see how well they work in comparison.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
I did speak to someone who said that moving to the unlimited plus plan would allow me to keep my promos, but the military discount on our account would likely drop from $40 to $20.

Damned if you do either way.

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005

Silly Burrito posted:

I did speak to someone who said that moving to the unlimited plus plan would allow me to keep my promos, but the military discount on our account would likely drop from $40 to $20.

Damned if you do either way.

I mean, the actual discount matters a lot less than your total bill at the end.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Danhenge posted:

I mean, the actual discount matters a lot less than your total bill at the end.

This is the truth, plus you have to factor in the other perks like the Disney bundle and Apple Arcade that are included.

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005

Silly Burrito posted:

This is the truth, plus you have to factor in the other perks like the Disney bundle and Apple Arcade that are included.

That's why we switched to a newer plan a bit back. I figured out that with the Hulu discount our net cost would be about the same and we could get new phones if we got the $40 2-line loyalty discount I was offered.

I did have to call Verizon support 3 times to get them to apply the discount correctly, but it's been smooth for a few months now.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Silly Burrito posted:

Thanks, and you’re switching back??? Hope all is well. From what I’ve read, you can’t switch to the newer plans without losing your iPhone promo. I only have four payments left but I definitely don’t want that to hit early if I can avoid it.

I found that T-Mobile actually allows you to download an e-Sim to test their network free for 90 days, so I’m trying that just to see how well they work in comparison.

My coach role was a temp role, so my time is ending in it. Rip but it’ll be fine.

Tbh, I haven’t sold in 6 months so I’ll have to look up all these questions lol. But I’ll def be able to help in mid august or later.

I’m on vacation for the next week, so I don’t have an answer today, but I figure a week or so won’t hurt waiting wise.

Not sure about the military, but I’ll be able to tell you for sure pretty quickly whenever I call you.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Duckman2008 posted:

My coach role was a temp role, so my time is ending in it. Rip but it’ll be fine.

Tbh, I haven’t sold in 6 months so I’ll have to look up all these questions lol. But I’ll def be able to help in mid august or later.

I’m on vacation for the next week, so I don’t have an answer today, but I figure a week or so won’t hurt waiting wise.

Not sure about the military, but I’ll be able to tell you for sure pretty quickly whenever I call you.

No worries, enjoy your vacation. You’ve earned it!!!

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Silly Burrito posted:

No worries, enjoy your vacation. You’ve earned it!!!

Thank you !

I’ll be doing some small post here and prob the iPhone thread alerting people I’m back, although I’m gonna also prob build in a few days of me helping normal customers before I handle anything here just to get my brain back in direct support mode. Shouldn’t take long, but 6 months in a different role means I’ll need a few days to wrap my head around the basics again and any small changes made in the past 6 months.

For now it’ll be Mai Thais or whatever for the next week. Cheers everyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Follow up on the post I made in the “recommend me a phone” thread a while back about my grandfather’s phone. Are there no promos on iPhones for upgrades right now? He’s got an iPhone 6S Plus and it looks like maybe he’d get “up to $600” for trading it in and upgrading to an iPhone 13, but when I go through the process online it just shows the phone at full price.