Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Beve Stuscemi posted:

That’s somehow even worse

IT is something a musk talks about. ADP is what runs a society.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravid Topiary
Feb 16, 2012

jeffrey watching over the forums

Gravid Topiary
Feb 16, 2012

the rugged forums user returning from the lab with the perfect post

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

That swanky woodgrain veneer

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

3D Megadoodoo posted:

IT is something a musk talks about. ADP is what runs a society.

I assume this is a moon language variant of EDB?

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
Key lock! :love:

an actual frog
Mar 1, 2007

HEH, HEH, HEH!

Gravid Topiary posted:

the rugged forums user returning from the lab with the perfect post

Ah yes, posting :pipe:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Computer viking posted:

I assume this is a moon language variant of EDB?

Automatic/automated Data Processing.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Gravid Topiary posted:

jeffrey watching over the forums

Not one! Not two! But three! THREE Shugart floppy drives! :aaa:

legooolas
Jul 30, 2004

Dick Trauma posted:

That's what signals that you are at Pro level computer use.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Probably single-sided, and in some ancient FM format that stores ~80K per disk.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
What sort of lunatic would need more than 80k storage?

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Dick Trauma posted:

Looks like it came with a macro assembler and system level support for floating and fixed point BCD math as well. Groovy.

e: lookit THIS beastie

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Automatic/automated Data Processing.

Ah, I didn't find that in a cursory search, so I guessed it was a Finnish parallel to the Norwegian EDB: Elektronisk Data-Behandling ("electronic data processing").

Gravid Topiary
Feb 16, 2012

gaping slots waiting to be filled call toll-free 1-888-RAM-HARD ext. 69

Gravid Topiary
Feb 16, 2012

:blush:

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Hell with tech relics, I am fascinated by why people used to look like that

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Gravid Topiary posted:

Is that a young Sebastian Gorka lmao.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Gravid Topiary posted:

IM TELLIN ALL YALL ITS A SABOTAAAAAGE

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Data Graham posted:

Cocaine was cheaper when Pablo Escobar was at his peak.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Data Graham posted:

People have gotten less cool as time goes by

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.

Data Graham posted:

You don't??? Turn off your monitor.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

monolithburger posted:

They don't make moustaches like that anymore

Have you ever been to Chicago?

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

Have you ever been to Chicago?

No, but the city I was born in was partially designed there.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Dick Trauma posted:

What sort of lunatic would need more than 80k storage?

I remember a youtube video about someone who had an early-80s photo-typesetter (a very high quality printer that used all kinds of nasty chemicals to basically develop pages like photographs). it had a cut-down version of a minicomputer in it, and you had to babysit it non-stop because the thing ran entirely from floppy so there was one floppy for the control program and a separate floppy for each font, and sometimes special functions you needed were on another floppy, so printing might mean sitting there and swapping 8" disks 5 or 6 times per page.

Gravid Topiary
Feb 16, 2012

QDP 100 is standing behind you right now

i don't need another z-80 or s-100 computer in my life (they're boring) but man you could do so many lines of good peruvian flake off that solid walnut case while you're waiting for your fart app to compile

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Gravid Topiary posted:

i don't need another z-80 or s-100 computer in my life (they're boring) but man you could do so many lines of good peruvian flake off that solid walnut case while you're waiting for your fart app to compile

For $21,970.66 in 2023 dollars the case had better be solid walnut

snorch
Jul 27, 2009
Is that what the richies were buying while the plebs enjoyed their ZX80s?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

snorch posted:

Is that what the richies were buying while the plebs enjoyed their ZX80s?

No, this was the generation before that. Rich people were buying PETs/Apple IIs/TRS-80s at the same time as the ZX80.

Gravid Topiary
Feb 16, 2012

an actual frog posted:

: who's tuggin?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Gravid Topiary posted:

poo poo, that reminds me that I wanted to build something like that a long while ago.

The only question is whether I spring for Peruvian flake walnut or woodgrain veneer.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

If you’re going to build it, do the real wood

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Technically, it's for a hybrid of old + new tech, so a plastic woodgrain sticker would actually be somewhat appropriate.

But yes, I probably will. It's just that hardwood got and stayed real expensive. I'm making a 16" vase now and it's going to end up costing me about $120. That's even using Peruvian walnut rather than American black walnut or something else more figured. poo poo's crazy.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Trabant posted:

Technically, it's for a hybrid of old + new tech, so a plastic woodgrain sticker would actually be somewhat appropriate.

But yes, I probably will. It's just that hardwood got and stayed real expensive. I'm making a 16" vase now and it's going to end up costing me about $120. That's even using Peruvian walnut rather than American black walnut or something else more figured. poo poo's crazy.

Is planting trees and waiting years to cut them down to make things a tech relic? Is wood in general? We have plastic now. Wood degrades and pollutes the enviroment eventually. Plastic is forever.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

I don't think I'd like a book printed on plastic, even though Babylon 5 does feature a lot of cool alien documents on transparent plastic foils.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Desert Bus posted:

Is planting trees and waiting years to cut them down to make things a tech relic? Is wood in general? We have plastic now. Wood degrades and pollutes the enviroment eventually. Plastic is forever.

You've got it backwards, plastic degrades and pollutes the environment... forever. Wood will last multiple lifetimes, provided you take the absolute minimum of care to avoid the same sort of weathering that would also damage plastic -- hell, most wood probably stands up to prolonged sun better than a lot of plastics.

Planting trees and cutting them down is carbon sequestration. Make everything out of wood, to save the planet. Christ, I hate plastic.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Can we make plastic from tree oils instead of having to use old gross underground oil?

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

We'd probably be better off in many ways by first trying to recycle the literal islands of plastic waste polluting the oceans and killing countless wildlife. But :capitalism:, so maybe your tree oil plastic start-up will make billions!

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Tea tree oil is very popular and maple syrup is basically maple tree oil. I think if we cut down all the trees and use big machines to grind them to dust and use other machines to force out the oil... ?

Maybe Black Oak oil is amazing and we just haven't discovered that yet?

I do agree that we need to deal with the whole plastic pollution in the ocean problem. If we scoop it all up we can dig really deep holes and drop it in and the earth will eventually turn it back into usable oil.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Desert Bus posted:

I think if we cut down all the trees and use big machines to grind them to dust and use other machines to force out the oil... ?

Saruman, your plans will end poorly for you :ohno: