Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

keep punching joe posted:

Can't travell in London, Khan strikes again.

Blame Easyjet, the useless cunts put me on flights on the wrong dates. Partially my fault for not noticing, but I booked my lodging at the same time and that was on the right date.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
How did easyjet put you on any flights? Like don't you just go to the website and buy them?

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

https://twitter.com/normanjam671/status/1684873242039734272?s=46&t=m_nNbkNoHG4lLitcpyHReg

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

https://www.parliament.uk/globalassets/documents/commons-catering/menus/banqueting/menu-banq-apr-2023.pdf
The House of Commons menu until 2023.

I'm the 'Grilled Smoked Bacon Loin Steak, with Somerset cider sauce, black pudding, rosti potato, wilted spinach, and rhubarb ginger chutney'
All boiled please.

happyhippy fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Jul 28, 2023

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

"Let me eat cake".

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Keith is such a peice of poo poo, I hope he dies.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts

forkboy84 posted:

Is there a particular reason that Quebec is relatively affordable? The bottom 4 places are all in Quebec & Montreal is 7th most affordable. Obviously it's all still crazy but what, do people just loving hate speaking French?

For the most part you need to be able to speak serviceable French and English to be able to work there (Ottawa too, for the most part, since it’s the federal capital), and relatively few people in Canada can do that. For that reason Montreal is probably the best city in Canada to live IF you are fluently bilingual.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

"Let me eat wet eggs".

ftfy

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

MeinPanzer posted:

For the most part you need to be able to speak serviceable French and English to be able to work there (Ottawa too, for the most part, since it’s the federal capital), and relatively few people in Canada can do that. For that reason Montreal is probably the best city in Canada to live IF you are fluently bilingual.

From all accounts Montreal is a loving awesome city and would be worth learning French properly for.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

happyhippy posted:

https://www.parliament.uk/globalassets/documents/commons-catering/menus/banqueting/menu-banq-apr-2023.pdf

I'm the 'Grilled Smoked Bacon Loin Steak, with Somerset cider sauce, black pudding, rosti potato, wilted spinach, and rhubarb ginger chutney'
All boiled please.

1 litre of apple juice for nearly a tenner? gently caress me, and this poo poo is subsidised?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Diet Crack posted:

From all accounts Montreal is a loving awesome city and would be worth learning French properly for.

If you learn French properly, Quebeckers may think you're a fancy lad

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Heard the national dish in quebec is chips cheese and gravy so they're probably alright.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

keep punching joe posted:

Heard the national dish in quebec is chips cheese and gravy so they're probably alright.

It's not cheese it's curd and it's the best junk food

There's a place in Cardiff that does loaded poutine inc vegan options and it's bangin, strongly recommend

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJFiWM9XAaA

On the one hand, a dire story of horrifying police racism

On the other hand this couple owns 14 properties for some reason (landlording???) which somewhat dents my sympathy

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts

Diet Crack posted:

It is pretty cool (I lived there for a couple of years), but making a life there is also a bit complicated as a non-native French speaker.

When the Quebec separatist movement really picked up steam in the 1990s and the 1995 independence referendum came within 0.5% of being successful (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1995_Quebec_referendum), it spooked a lot of big business that had been based in or operated out of Quebec (definitely shades of Brexit there). A lot of companies left for Ontario to try to hedge against the risk and it did a lot of damage to the economy of the province, and especially the economy of Montreal, that I think it never fully recovered from. A lot of the good paying jobs dwindled as a result.

So if your native language isn't French, are you really going to go through the difficult process of becoming fluent enough to live and work in that language and move there if the economy isn't that robust and your average pay isn't good? Also, a lot of people who are bilingual will just go to work for the federal government on much better salaries, since getting a national government job of pretty much any kind requires you to be able to conduct business in both languages. This basically requires living in Ottawa.

quote:

Yeah, always amazed that poutine isn't more popular here. It's got all the good poo poo that drunk British people love!

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I don't know why but the (latest) musk pedo thing was the straw that broke it for me. I'm going to go through my twitter follows, note anyone useful, and then nuke my account.

Does anyone have a bluesky invite or is there a thread where I can get one?

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Failed Imagineer posted:

If you learn French properly, Quebeckers may think you're a fancy lad
Quebecois French is closer to the French spoken back in the 18th century than that spoken in France. It's the French who are wrong :colbert:

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

MeinPanzer posted:

MeinPanzer posted:

Also, a lot of people who are bilingual will just go to work for the federal government on much better salaries, since getting a national government job of pretty much any kind requires you to be able to conduct business in both languages.

The bit about Ottawa isn't really true. There are plenty of jobs where you only need English. For government jobs, yes, if you're going to be serving the public or working at a high level within government (past a certain level of management where you need to give performance reviews - you have to be able to give those reviews in the employee's chosen language) then you will need to be bilingual, but there are lots of jobs where it's not needed. Being bilingual though does open up a lot of opportunities in Ottawa. There are customer service type jobs where if you're bilingual, you can earn $35/hr (about £21/hr).

Also you pay additional tax in Quebec - the provincial rate is a fair bit higher, and I've spoken to some people about living in Quebec and consensus in Ottawa right across the provincial border is that the services suck there (e.g. medical care is even worse than the already woeful Ontario). IDK how accurate that is, but it's certainly what people here seem to believe.

E: Also there are significantly more accommodations made for French speakers in Ottawa and other places than there are for English speakers in Quebec. It's in Quebec law that some types of signs, advertisements etc. can't have English on, and others can have English so long as the French is more predominant. In Ottawa basically everything is in both English and French and though the English is usually first, the French is usually equal size etc.

WhatEvil fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Jul 28, 2023

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

MeinPanzer posted:

Yeah, always amazed that poutine isn't more popular here. It's got all the good poo poo that drunk British people love!

I heard that multiple poutine restaurants got death threats after Russia invaded Ukraine due to the similarity in pronunciation.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Tesseraction posted:

I heard that multiple poutine restaurants got death threats after Russia invaded Ukraine due to the similarity in pronunciation.

Poutine's got all the stuff Brits love - poo and teens

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Vladimir Poutine is about to INVADE your taste buds with flavour.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Tesseraction posted:

Vladimir Poutine is about to INVADE your taste buds with flavour.

There is actually already a place called Vladimir Poutine in Montreal.

https://www.tripadvisor.ca/Restaurant_Review-g155032-d12714914-Reviews-Vladimir_Poutine-Montreal_Quebec.html

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Looks like they died during the pandemic. Probably for the best given what happened in 2022.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

MeinPanzer posted:

Isn't that like cheesy chips? Pretty popular in the chippies in my town.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Oh no it's still going it's now named in honour of Zelenskiy https://montreal.eater.com/2022/3/11/22971375/poutine-quebec-restaurant-frite-alors-renames-la-vladimir-volodymyr

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Time to make a successor restaurant called philippe poutine.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug
Canada talk, watch Shoresy its loving brilliant.
End of Canada talk.

franco
Jan 3, 2003

happyhippy posted:

All boiled please.

I'm the Kir (Kieth) Royale.

No, wait, I'm the incorrectly spelling "palate cleansers" as "palette cleansers" (Britane's brightest and best).

I see crushed avocado on sourdough/toast there. Are there huge flatscreen TVs for pudding?

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Sort of. They use cheese curds instead of actual cheese. This means they go kind of rubbery and chewy rather than full-on melting. Cheese curds are also sometimes called "squeakers" because they're sort of squeaky when you bight into them.

Also poutine has gravy on it which may be chickeny or oniony or both (?).

IDK, poutine is fine. If you have it in the right places in Montreal it's excellent. Here in Ottawa only 2 hours drive away it's often kind of mediocre. Part of the issue is that chips here are loving terrible. I don't even know how to explain it. Maris Piper potatoes aren't allowed in Canada so that's a part of it.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
X-post from the morbid capitalism thread because :stare:

ekuNNN posted:

In incredible depressing news from the UK: Imagine caring so much about your boss not missing out on a few quid that you loving close the bus doors on a little old grandma (and drag her under the wheels of your bus)

Failed Imagineer fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Jul 28, 2023

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

It's chips with gravy, usually with beefy bits in it and then cheese curds specifically. A hipster burger place near me does it that way, it's pretty good but very rich, when I've ordered it I've regretted it because eating it with a burger is a bit too much.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Ah yes, have compassion for our poor boy who only crushed a granny's legs out of capitalist spite.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

franco posted:

No, wait, I'm the incorrectly spelling "palate cleansers" as "palette cleansers" (Britane's brightest and best).
Many MPs enjoy a few shots of isopropyl alcohol between courses.

franco
Jan 3, 2003

Guavanaut posted:

Many MPs enjoy a few shots of isopropyl alcohol between courses.

If they'd gone with "pallet cleansers" there'd be a decent Norn Irn bonfire joke that I'm too dumb to make right now.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Failed Imagineer posted:

X-post from the morbid capitalism thread because :stare:

Is it just me or is this phrasing implying it would have been ok if she had previously dodged a fare

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Dabir posted:

Is it just me or is this phrasing implying it would have been ok if she had previously dodged a fare

It's The Guardian, of course they think that, they love the rule of law as only a liberal can.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Honestly that MP menu seemed expensive until I remember it's London prices. A tenner for a can of coke and you'll love that it's warm you little poo poo. Now huff on these car fumes.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Dabir posted:

Honestly no, it's just a sober statement of the facts, it would be more weird if they felt the need to end the sentence with "NOT THAT IT WOULD HAVE BEEN OK IF SHE'D BEEN GUILTY".

However, yeah it's probably true that whatever Guardian reptile wrote this actually does think like that

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug
Don't pensioners get free bus travel anyway everywhere in the UK?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

happyhippy posted:

Don't pensioners get free bus travel anyway everywhere in the UK?

Well, she will now...

E: maybe he spotted her dodging a fare 30 years ago, when he was a mere schoolboy, and he bided his time