Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Jobbo_Fett posted:

I hear that comes with the official version of the VASL module for it!

It does!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tomdidiot
Apr 23, 2014

Stupid Grognard

Slimy Hog posted:

Any good Samurai hex-and-counter games?

I haven't played it myself, but I've heard good things about :https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/214296/tenkatoitsu

NC Wyeth Death Cult
Dec 30, 2005

He lost his life in Chadds Ford, he was dancing with a train.

Jobbo_Fett posted:

So i discovered recently that theres a super edition ultra complete version of world in flames. Almost makes me want to learn the system. I miss the LP of it :(

I played it when it first came to the states and I thought it was amazing. I am a FB group member for the game and it seems weirdly complicated now- like ok I get the added strategy that planning for training pilots brings but the drat game is already super complex. All the LPs seem to go the same way, too- secure oil and then the rest of the game can happen.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

NC Wyeth Death Cult posted:

I played it when it first came to the states and I thought it was amazing. I am a FB group member for the game and it seems weirdly complicated now- like ok I get the added strategy that planning for training pilots brings but the drat game is already super complex. All the LPs seem to go the same way, too- secure oil and then the rest of the game can happen.

There was more than one? I only remember Will_Colorado's thread and I'm re-reading it now and slowly working out how I would even put all this stuff together in VASSAL. Seems crazy, compared to ASL, haha

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Oh, also I've tried playing some Unconditional Surrender, finally, after owning it for so many years and it feels like a bit of a mess. Maybe its because I'm playing on VASSAL, but nothing feels organic, and I'm having to go back to the Rulebook AND the Playbook multiple times for every action, it feels like.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Slimy Hog posted:

Any good Samurai hex-and-counter games?

If you like GMT's GBOH series:

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Also Sekigahara is a lighter card driven point to point game but it's very good

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

Cessna posted:

If you like GMT's GBOH series:

Also its sequel:

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
I just discovered that the Center for Naval Analysis has a page of free print-and-play teaching wargames, including titles like Proliferation Or Peace ("outmaneuver North Korea as they seek missile parts") and Gaming To The Rescue ("cooperate to solve a humanitarian crisis before the public turns against you").

Huh.

https://www.cna.org/centers-and-divisions/cna/ow/gaming-and-integration

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
lmao GMT has already announced a 2nd edition version of Mr President. How bad does the game suck in its current state?

Erghh
Sep 24, 2007

"Let him speak!"

AARP LARPer posted:

lmao GMT has already announced a 2nd edition version of Mr President. How bad does the game suck in its current state?

Just going by the amount of space dedicated to explaining why they're doing it in the recent update/mailer probably a lot lol. (Never played or messed with it myself).

Also they have a new tactical game that looks at a glance like a simpler, dice driven version of Fields of Fire that might be of some interest.

https://www.gmtgames.com/p-1065-firefight-tactical.aspx

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

AARP LARPer posted:

if its so bad why hasnt anyone uploaded the rulebooks so i can play it in tts

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord

Stairmaster posted:

I remember they were pushing to get this out before the 2016 election.

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

Stairmaster posted:

gmt games posted:

The Update Kit is suitable to use as a VASSAL/TTS Play Kit. Many of you who don’t have enough table space at home to play Mr. President have told us that you still want to play it online. We’ve had numerous requests for a “VASSAL or TTS Play Kit” that is much less expensive than the main game (because it doesn’t include all the cards, maps, and counters) that would include printed copies of all of the detailed manuals (China Acts, Russia Actions, Ally/Rogues, and the Domestic and World Charts Booklets) that we don’t post online. You’ll probably note from the contents list above that this 2nd Edition Update Kit can absolutely serve as such a VASSAL/TTS Play Kit for those of you who don’t want to buy the full game. So if you want to play Mr. President online via our free VASSAL or TTS modules, order the 2nd Edition Update Kit and give yourself an opportunity to do so at a very inexpensive price.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

I still haven’t managed to unwrap Richard III - my hope that block Wargames would be a hit with my partner has fallen flat. Is there any way to play the game satisfyingly solo, or am I better reselling while it’s still n shrink wrap and focusing elsewhere?

Incidentally I’ve not yet managed to make my way through ASL SK scenario 1!

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

I'm not personally a fan of double-handing wargames, especially ones that are meant to be played competitively against an opponent. The reason for this is that the unpredictability of opponents is a factor that makes wargames interesting, at least for me.

Block games are especially bad about this, because a lot of them use hidden blocks as a means to create fog of war and hide how good/well defended (or not) an area is. Richard III uses hidden blocks as far as I can see (as do most Colombia games), so it's going to be especially bad at being played solo.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Erghh posted:

Just going by the amount of space dedicated to explaining why they're doing it in the recent update/mailer probably a lot lol. (Never played or messed with it myself).

Also they have a new tactical game that looks at a glance like a simpler, dice driven version of Fields of Fire that might be of some interest.

https://www.gmtgames.com/p-1065-firefight-tactical.aspx

I didn't really notice anything that was hugely wrong with Mr. President when i played it, though i'm sure people are pretty eager to get a "vassal/tts kit". Generally GMT's a bit froggy about releasing full materials to play solo games for free, which is why they don't put all the secondary rulebooks online.

Could be worse- Compass has a three month embargo on vassal modules for its games and doesn't allow most PACs to be put in the modules.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
The first edition of Mr. President is fine and perfectly playable. It's just GMT is doing a bigger push to make physical materials available for fixes and errata, and this just happens to be a special case as a new flagship title with a lot of hype. I don't know the full list of what's being changed but a huge portion of it is going to be clarifications because there are a crazy amount of rules with interlocking conditions and a whole lot of people who can't reason themselves out of paper bag if it isn't explicitly spelled out how to do so. I'm sure there are some legitimate errata there, and some balancing issues found out when crazy grognards play it 14 times in 7 days straight revealed, but I'd bet money that the vast majority of the changes in the 2nd edition are filling in notes about special rules across the dozen or so rulebooks it comes with instead of depending on the rule being listed once.

Although I wouldn't be surprised if they planned on this from the beginning just to sell a cheaper version for online use and just decided to wait until they had the initial errata and sales numbers instead of going with a online-only kit from the beginning.

Edit:
And the extra attention on why they're doing this is because it's a weird thing to do for board games in general. Of course they're going to spend a lot of time explaining and justifying the move.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

I figure I'll ask in this thread first - does anyone in the UK/EU want Richard III: War of the Roses for ~£30+ postage?

grobbendonk
Apr 22, 2008

Southern Heel posted:

I figure I'll ask in this thread first - does anyone in the UK/EU want Richard III: War of the Roses for ~£30+ postage?

Did you get a buyer for this, if not I'll take it

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Pre-orders for Jack Green's Jutland just went up at Compass Games. This will be his magnum opus for tactical naval games.

https://www.compassgames.com/product/jutland-fleet-admiral-pay-later/

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Anyone have any experience with Iron Curtain: NATO’s Central Front, 1945-1989 or NATO Designer Signature Edition? I mostly play PC hex and counter games (Unity of Command series, Flashpoint Campaigns, etc) but have been looking at these and they don't seem to be too bad. Only downside is I don't currently have a group here (San Antonio), so I'd be playing it solitaire style my first couple of games.

NC Wyeth Death Cult
Dec 30, 2005

He lost his life in Chadds Ford, he was dancing with a train.

mllaneza posted:

Pre-orders for Jack Green's Jutland just went up at Compass Games. This will be his magnum opus for tactical naval games.

dammit, I just fended off the need to buy their WiF clone (in the spirit of the game but looks like it's trying to do too much and the board looks like Axis & Allies) and now this.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Jack Green is on a roll this year. The Chase of the Bismark came out in the Spring, and it's a huge, heavy box filled with gorgeous components.

https://vucasims.com/products/the-chase-of-the-bismarck-operation-rheinubung-1941

It looks like Jack is getting set to retire, the Quarterdeck Games store has some stuff from his library in it. Also this, which is a fun little solo game,

https://www.quarterdeckinternational.com/store/278th-squadron-the-same-4-cats

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Picking up Axis Empires Ultimate Edition as well as downfall. I'm looking forward to both, and will give a trip report on the fresh Dice of Decision module for AE because i'm genuinely curious about it.

Obfuscation
Jan 1, 2008
Good luck to you, I know you believe in hell

Panzeh posted:

Picking up Axis Empires Ultimate Edition

So it's finally out huh. I checked how much it costs to buy from Decision Games directly(answer is $264 preorder, $320 after that) and they would charge me 100$ for shipping, lmao.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

I would be really interested in playing AE or just TK but it's always so expensive.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
I will say i like the variant they added where Collective Security gives the Soviets 2 colonial units in their force pool so they can actually build the multi-national HQ even if they don't luck out on getting a minor country they can protect.

There's also a variant for the Dai Senso board that has Ex results be a 'no effect' for combats on the mainland to slow down progress in China.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Honestly I'd be interested in giving a goon TK/DS game another go. I think TK is still my favourite grand strat, even over USE.

Mr.Misfit
Jan 10, 2013

The time for
SkellyBones
has come!
So I recently got "La Belle Epoque" by the italian Aleph Game Studio.

It's made up to look a lot like what one sees with GMT games, an intense rulebook and numerous small and descriptive and far too long running sentences explaining actually simple concepts of placing blocks for amusing combat resolution, completely paired with an impulse-based change-turn-order system.

But it plays quite easy and even with first-time rules explanation and using the "AI"-system for France, it's really easy to play and we've taken about 4 hours for a full game which I lost by 4 points to british Prestige playing as Russia and never building a fleet.

All in all, 55€ well spent I'd say. Now if only the box art wasn't so ugly...

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

mllaneza posted:

Oh.

Oh.

I think I need this.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord

Obfuscation posted:

So it's finally out huh. I checked how much it costs to buy from Decision Games directly(answer is $264 preorder, $320 after that) and they would charge me 100$ for shipping, lmao.

I'd love to buy it, but c'mon.

e: also, is this one of DG's preorders that's gonna take 10 years to fulfill? (not bitter; War in Europe, I'm looking at you)

AARP LARPer fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Oct 19, 2023

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Obfuscation posted:

quote:

Insurance (Required Charge*): $8.00

Lol. Not insane as the box price, but....

Edit: Ok, they have a grog game where you overthrow Elon's Mars base so I guess they are cool again.

https://shop.decisiongames.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=1720

quote:

Phobos Rising! Insurgency on Mars is a solitaire game depicting the heroic actions of an elite team attempting to secure key facilities on Mars. Success means Mars has been secured and the Martian Revolution, depicted at the start of the Free Mars game, begins with a general uprising across the colonies bases and ships in the Solar System.

BadOptics fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Oct 19, 2023

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

Behold the Bull of Heaven!
Oh hey I bought a few of their ziplock games at Gen Con! Haven't sat down to read the rules, but I love having small wargames like those around. Hopefully they were worth it, hah.

And speaking of, I found out randomly that someone is actually making a wargame set during the Hussite Wars. https://www.atomagazine.com/Details.cfm?ProdID=179 However neither the company nor designer mean anything to me, so does anyone have any experience with either of those and know if I should even bother picking this up once it's released? I mean a strong theme and a historical period I actually care about can do a lot, but if the game is poo poo there's ultimately so much they can add to the experience.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

I don't know the designer, but ATO Magazine has put out some very good games over the years, including several by Prados and Bomba. They do a good job getting games into playable shape, and the design and component quality is very good.

Cessna posted:

I think I need this.

I'll play that with you, possibly by VASL

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

AARP LARPer posted:

e: also, is this one of DG's preorders that's gonna take 10 years to fulfill? (not bitter; War in Europe, I'm looking at you)

I feel you, I've been waiting so long for some GMT submarine-themed game to reprint that I've apparently forgotten its name

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Jenx posted:

And speaking of, I found out randomly that someone is actually making a wargame set during the Hussite Wars. https://www.atomagazine.com/Details.cfm?ProdID=179
But wait, there's more
https://www.gmtgames.com/p-1060-ika-reformation-and-crusade-in-hussite-bohemia-1420-1421.aspx

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007

Squiggle posted:

I feel you, I've been waiting so long for some GMT submarine-themed game to reprint that I've apparently forgotten its name

If you are speaking about Silent Victory, then I feel you right back. I've been on the P500 wait list for a couple of years. We're currently stuck on 466. All we need is 34 keen goons to place an order. To do a good thing, click this:

https://www.gmtgames.com/p-968-silent-victory-3rd-printing.aspx

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

AARP LARPer posted:

I think this one's finally fulfilling around the end of the month.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

Behold the Bull of Heaven!

Oh...oh gently caress. I have been interested in trying out the Levy and Campaign series too. Well I guess I can play one of the existing ones, and if I like the gameplay then I am buying this one too! drat, suddenly everyone remembered that the Hussite Wars happened and are a cool conflict to try and spin a game around, rather than churning out another 50 WW2 games!