Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Downloaded Ratchet & Clank and it's really night and day between this and just about every other port released in the last few years, the people at Nixxes clearly know what they're doing. Haven't had any issues with crashes like a lot of people are reporting, it runs amazing on an RTX 3070 and TR1950x. Kind of makes me wish I'd waited a bit longer to upgrade so I could use the frame generation available to the 4000 series, this would be a great showcase for it.

What rez and framerates are you getting from it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

buglord posted:

What rez and framerates are you getting from it?

2560x1440, I don't see an option for an FPS counter anywhere in the settings but it seems to be 60+ most of the time, dropping a bit below when things get really visually busy. My rig isn't top of the line by any means but I can still set just about everything to medium-high with ray tracing turned on as well. Not really a graphics snob these days but this is probably the new standard if you have something obscene like an RTX 4090 and want to test it on the prettiest game out there.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Orv posted:

Aerie is a problem but the romance mods for BG get much, much worse than that.

In the main game your romance can lead to Aerie getting pregnant and I'm pretty sure you still can kick her out of your party before AND after she's given birth (off-screen). Obviously she is quite upset about it, but she vanishes afterwards instead of dropping death on the spot. I think none of the other party NPCs acknowledge it too (then again, I didn't have Haer'Dalis in my party, and he fancies Aerie).

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

lmao this is just as hilariously bad as i remember

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

I just died of cringe

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

That was written one handed by someone who haven't showered for at least a week.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Mordja posted:

E: Wasn't there some light controversy around Redout 2 at launch? Either it was broken or there was weird monetization or something

No huge thing, but a bunch of smaller ones which combined into making the launch less than stellar:
- different approach to boosting and (at least perceived) high difficulty frustrating some early adopters and affecting early reviews
- no launch discount or Redout 1 ownership discount
- in an attempt to build up hype for their new game, they had the original given out for free on EGS, which required a patch to allow Epic multiplayer stuff. This patch broke VR and Steam Deck support. Since multiplayer had already been dead for many years and it's a very niche genre (antigrav racing is niche, and that niche is heavily divided along general F-Zero vs Wipeout lines), it mostly led to new players asking why they couldn't find an online race.

I love the original and was pretty hyped for the sequel (after they finally forgot that wtf space shooter), but breaking the old game on my Deck while asking me for full price for the sequel kinda killed the interest. I haven't even picked it up at 50% off yet during sales, though I'll likely end up doing it at some point. The original often goes on sale for almost nothing, like iirc the complete edition for a fiver, which is a hell of a deal for anyone who likes the genre. The worlds are gorgeous, the music is good, and it has a ton of tracks to fit whatever mood you're in. Mars and Moon tracks are my personal favourites, with Europa not far behind.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

redout is extremely mom we have wipeout at home

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

victrix posted:

redout is extremely mom we have wipeout at home

If I wanted missiles in my racing game, I'd be playing Mario Kart.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Redout is really good.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I have BallisticNG, it's very much "Here's some Wipeout3, and more Wipeout3, and heck have some more of it". Which great at first, but I didn't have the heart to max everything out and unlock all the ships and learn all the tracks on max speed etc - something I did 20 years ago with wiepout itself.

Is Redoubt very much like WipeoutHD (et al), what was the major divergence again?

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
No, Redout is its own thing. Ships fly/drift a lot more than in sticky racers like F-Zero (though the magnetic grip active upgrade can give you that on-demand), so there's some degree of Wipeoutness, but otherwise, the handling is different (bit like flying a quadcopter drone above the track). It's also a lot faster and on generally narrow tracks, so more of a twitch racer than perfect wide drifting curves. In fact, there are many turns where cutting across at the proper angle and kissing the wall for a snap course correction is the fastest strat. Track going up/down also requires manual pitch input for optimal speed, and there are no weapons.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

sebmojo posted:

:lol:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Serephina posted:

I have BallisticNG, it's very much "Here's some Wipeout3, and more Wipeout3, and heck have some more of it". Which great at first, but I didn't have the heart to max everything out and unlock all the ships and learn all the tracks on max speed etc - something I did 20 years ago with wiepout itself.

Is Redoubt very much like WipeoutHD (et al), what was the major divergence again?

IMO it’s not wipeout without the bangin soundtrack

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

ZearothK posted:

I just died of cringe

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

showeth thineself, coward. i will never logth out

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

lol lmao i have never felt so represented by an image

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

cringeth

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

You know, I've heard people say that we don't shame enough these days and I thought that was kind of rude and could lead to a slipper slope of awful but nope. I changed my mind. We need to shame a lot more.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
lovely fan fiction is my favorite genre of literature.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
If you delve into BG/Elder Scroll mods you deserve what you get

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I was just looking for romance mods, I wasnt looking for CRINGE.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

No Wave posted:

I was just looking for romance mods, I wasnt looking for CRINGE.

Even the base romance in the game is fantasy expedited pulp-y romance. I remembered the game having great writing, but I was probably comparing it to all the JRPG stuff I'd played before where the plot and character agency is just dictated to you.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

sebmojo posted:

I ain't reading all that, is that a video game or homework?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

it's D&D, so yes

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Beat Shadow of the Tomb Raider. Man, what a dumb story. The game was...OK but definitely the worst of the reboots. Just bizarre pacing. Not a lot of combat, and what there was is worse than its predecessors', I even went and looked at some footage of them because I thought I was going crazy at what a downgrade it felt. The challenge tombs were mostly pretty good though, probably about the level of Rise's. And I mentioned previously that it had a lot of bugs at high framerate which I wouldn't have thought was still a thing. It's so crazy that Square just threw the final game in a trilogy at a completely different studio, especially knowing how that Avengers thing turned out.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

My favorite part at the end of Shadow of the Tomb Raider is you hear a single line over the radio which basically says “Wow the whole Trinity council just died! Guess we don’t need to worry about them in the next game.”

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Haha, yeah I caught that and had to roll my eyes.

The game did have some pretty neat looking setpieces, though the best one came midgame, where you're climbing up that massive, collapsing machine.

Mordja fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Jul 28, 2023

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
The best part of Shadow is the photo mode that lets Lara be a hosed up influencer posing with corpses.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
Oh wow, I didn't realize Shadow of the Tomb Raider wasn't developed by Crystal Dynamics. It's been sitting in my backlog for a bit. Eidos Montreal are generally solid, though. The Deus Ex reboots were fun and Guardians of the Galaxy came out and surprised everyone.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Shadow of the Tomb Raider is the weakest of the trilogy for sure but it's not that much worse than the others. If you liked them you'll probably be OK with it.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

ultrafilter posted:

Shadow of the Tomb Raider is the weakest of the trilogy for sure but it's not that much worse than the others. If you liked them you'll probably be OK with it.

Shadow of the Tomb Raider will really test your patience for cutscenes. The other two are better paced.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

I too will play baulders gate 3 covered naught but of my body hair

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Rise was pretty neat but Shadow sucked so much I didn't even finish it.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
BG3 Sandrah mod when?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

FishMcCool posted:

BG3 Sandrah mod when?

I think it's built in this time.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Yeah Rise was the best, but I still liked the first game's setting the most.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
Rise has an obnoxious amount of DLC content.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
all the "survivor trilogy" plot was complete garbage but Shadow is hilarious in how it has some really fun additions to combat, then never really gives you a reason to use it (what felt like half of all combat is happening in gauntlet situations where you can't properly get into/return to stealth, for a start).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Jimbot posted:

You know, I've heard people say that we don't shame enough these days and I thought that was kind of rude and could lead to a slipper slope of awful but nope. I changed my mind. We need to shame a lot more.

Bullying worked for multiple millennia of human history, even before indoor plumbing gifted us the Swirly…