Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
CMM was overpriced reprints and some bad commander decks, hadn't realized it wasn't already out. Eldraine has been the set I've actually wanted to hear about since MOM.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Jabor posted:

It's preview hype season 365 days a year. No time to enjoy the thing you've already purchased, gotta get you hyped up to spend money on the next thing.

That’s right. Now open up and take your medicine!

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:
Bonus sheet for Wilds is going to have some really nice reprints:

Greater Auramancy
Necropotence
Rhystic Study
Smothering Tithe
Doubling Season
Aggravated Assault
Curiosity
Prismatic Omen

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

If you’re a Doctor Who fan it looks like they did a good job with these cards, they’re all so weird that they have to be referencing stuff from the show.

New Ixalan is about going to the hollow core of the planet and finding a mysterious fifth faction that lives there.

Eldraine takes place after the Phyrexian war, there are people from other planes chilling out (Jack from Jack and the Beanstalk is a Vedalken), and there’s only one PW, Ashiok (the plan moving forward is to only have one PW per set). Each limited archetype is based on a fairy tale (UB is Frozen), Adventures are back (some are multicolour) and food is back. The bonus sheet is enchantments and there are going to be cool Japanese alt arts of at least some of them.

https://twitter.com/mtgjp/status/1684896521039577089?s=46&t=IJdqhSwMmIFqfaKy_5md2g

Jabor posted:

It's preview hype season 365 days a year. No time to enjoy the thing you've already purchased, gotta get you hyped up to spend money on the next thing.

This is such a funny take lol, just don’t play/interact with stuff you don’t want to. Every Magic set is an opt-in experience.

fadam fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Jul 28, 2023

generatrix
Aug 8, 2008

Nothing hurts like a scrape

Jabor posted:

They show stuff at MagicCon events. Every time they do people freak out about how they're showing so much stuff.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

Greater Auramancy
Necropotence
Rhystic Study
Smothering Tithe
Doubling Season
Aggravated Assault
Curiosity
Prismatic Omen

lmao if I have to play against a Rhystic Study in limited on arena I'm going to figure out how to hack someone's computer to light their genitals on fire.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
It’s okay to not enjoy the pace of product releases. It’s even okay to post about it.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

Greater Auramancy
Necropotence
Rhystic Study
Smothering Tithe
Doubling Season
Aggravated Assault
Curiosity
Prismatic Omen

Glad to see this is just becoming standard in all modern sets.

Craterhoof, but with wings!

Saaaave meeee

Flavor on point, dayum.

Pretty lands

Kinda love this, hope there's more food creatures.

CatstropheWaitress fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Jul 28, 2023

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Well, that's... definitely a card...

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

This owns.

Sickening posted:

It’s okay to not enjoy the pace of product releases. It’s even okay to post about it.

It's also okay to reply to those posts and disagree :cheerdoge:

I feel like if this was a bit cheaper this could be pretty good. Naming 1 catches a ton of stuff.

fadam fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Jul 28, 2023

TacoNight
Feb 18, 2011

Stop, hey, what's that sound?

A Moose posted:

lmao if I have to play against a Rhystic Study in limited on arena I'm going to figure out how to hack someone's computer to light their genitals on fire.

Why? It's a weak card in 1v1, especially in limited. Just pay the 1 unless you are curving out. Also, with fewer players, it's fewer triggers.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

Greater Auramancy
Necropotence
Rhystic Study
Smothering Tithe
Doubling Season
Aggravated Assault
Curiosity
Prismatic Omen

Oh nice, I was just thinking about buying a greater auramancy for modern enchantress since it's the only sideboard card I don't already own, but spending $20 on it feels pretty rough

I wonder if the anime as heck ones will be in US packs as well? I presume since there's an english version that's a yes

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
Doctor Who set rules so far, so does Eldraine.

My wallet isn't ready for this on top of Commander Masters coming out.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

CatstropheWaitress posted:

Flavor on point, dayum.

The flavor on all of the Doctor Who cards is incredibly on point, this one is really them outdoing themselves though. So cool.

generatrix
Aug 8, 2008

Nothing hurts like a scrape

Flavor on point, dayum.

I've never watched Dr. Who, but this does look like a fun commander build-around.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
I wish I liked that story arc more but I ended up skipping most of it because I found all the main characters insufferable. Cool card though.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

that's the first time the word, "scries" has been used on a magic card.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

drat those full art lands are dope

Also noooo there's so much dope izzet poo poo out there but I don't wanna build like five izzet decks :mad:

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
They didn't spoil Syr Ginger, but Tough Cookie is hilarious. So is Greta, whose art shows her fighting off some angry gummy worms.

It's interesting, the Doctor's Companions can't partner with changeling legends; they specifically only partner with creatures with the exact creature types "Time Lord Doctor". No partner for Orvar.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

fadam posted:

This owns.
lmao that they're including a literal oh-ho-ho-ing ojousama in the alt arts. perfection

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

One planeswalker per set for the next while is an interesting choice

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

LifeLynx posted:

They didn't spoil Syr Ginger, but Tough Cookie is hilarious. So is Greta, whose art shows her fighting off some angry gummy worms.

It's interesting, the Doctor's Companions can't partner with changeling legends; they specifically only partner with creatures with the exact creature types "Time Lord Doctor". No partner for Orvar.

I wonder why they bothered? None of them seem particularly good with any of the (also not particularly good) Changeling commanders. I guess just for flavour?

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Framboise posted:

I wish I liked that story arc more but I ended up skipping most of it because I found all the main characters insufferable. Cool card though.

Same. Brilliant idea in concept, but got entirely devoured by the weird as gently caress places the plot went.

Dr. Who is my go-to example of a show that's overall 'pretty bad'. When you look back episode by episode there's so many more misses than hits, but when it does hit, it his so good I get why people love it. & still affectionately look back on a couple of seasons myself.

Pocky In My Pocket posted:

One planeswalker per set for the next while is an interesting choice

Wonder if they blew the design space for those with War of the Spark and just want to design less of them. All for this choice, make Planeswalkers special once again.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Wonder if they blew the design space for those with War of the Spark and just want to design less of them. All for this choice, make Planeswalkers special once again.

I think it's a combination of that and wanting more of their flagship characters to be able to head up commander decks.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

fadam posted:

I wonder why they bothered? None of them seem particularly good with any of the (also not particularly good) Changeling commanders. I guess just for flavour?

Orvar is pretty broken. I don't think adding a second color to it would improve it much, but I don't want to find out.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Dr. Who is my go-to example of a show that's overall 'pretty bad'. When you look back episode by episode there's so many more misses than hits, but when it does hit, it his so good I get why people love it. & still affectionately look back on a couple of seasons myself.
this is also how illicit drugs work hth :lsd:

MasterBuilder
Sep 30, 2008
Oven Wrangler

Johnny Truant posted:

drat those full art lands are dope

They are rad but what are they depicting?

Also the plains look like the swamp on a sunny day.

Edit: Oops I thought these were for the Dr who set not Eldraine.

MasterBuilder fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Jul 28, 2023

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

I thought about rewatching Doctor Who starting from the 9th or 10th Doctor, but seeing these cards reminded me that most of the plotlines were really bad. Insufferable, twee, cringey, melodramatic, etc. It's like sketch comedy shows where the highs are very memorable and you repress the memories of all the terrible sketches that went on too long and weren't funny.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Doctor Who owns. Might be the good thing Great Britain ever made.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Khanstant posted:

Doctor Who owns. Might be the good thing Great Britain ever made.

Bake Off and the pottery version of Bake Off rocks.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Britain was pretty good at making rock music for about 30 years

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

iirc, part of it's that battles fit into the same kind of "weird card with complicated effects you need to defend" slot as planeswalkers. As you get a wider range of things you want to fit into that kind of slot, the less you can use each individual card type without making the whole set lopsided.

(Also, agreed. I'm all for having the number of planeswalkers that are important enough to be cards be limited. This way it's actually notable when a set has three planeswalkers as key characters again.)

Lurks With Wolves fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Jul 28, 2023

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

fadam posted:

Bake Off and the pottery version of Bake Off rocks.

Ah don't mind me, still just bitter about King George trying to be king of a land he had never even been to. Didn't know there was a pottery bake off, I'm actually interested lol.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Anybody watching the pro tour? Coverage is actually pretty great with Marshall and AliasV gone. Definitely exceeding expectations. With it starting at 2AM you can just zoom through the VOD too.

There have been some really clutch plays on display in various rounds.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Adding the Spanish? version of cards in the previews is a bit odd. Is there a push to normalize providing Spanish versions of corporate communications as an effective second language in the US or something?

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

Arivia posted:

Adding the Spanish? version of cards in the previews is a bit odd. Is there a push to normalize providing Spanish versions of corporate communications as an effective second language in the US or something?

they're being previewed/shown off at the magic event in barcelona.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Strong Sauce posted:

they're being previewed/shown off at the magic event in barcelona.

Ohhh that makes sense. My bad then.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Same. Brilliant idea in concept, but got entirely devoured by the weird as gently caress places the plot went.

I dunno, I really liked 9 and 10's story arcs. 11 was when everything I liked went out the window and Moffat's groan-inducing reign began.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

fadam posted:

This owns.

I love shes doing the evil anime woman laugh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

MasterBuilder posted:

They are rad but what are they depicting?

Also the plains look like the swamp on a sunny day.

Edit: Oops I thought these were for the Dr who set not Eldraine.

Yeah, not a fan of the plains upon closer inspection, but the others will make for a cool matching basics set for decks in the future

Definitely digging some of the Dr. Who cares mechanics that've been shown so far