Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
That Darkhawk/Ronin junk deck I posted a while back. Rock slide, Master Mold, Mystique, all that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Psyker posted:

What are everyone’s most successful Conquest decks?

It’s such a deceptively different mode because of hard counter matchups and being unable to run “surprise” decks, so interested in your fine Goon experiences.

Sera Surfer, heavily teched.

I usually have 1-2 below-3-costs, Sera, and then 3s. My current low cards are Spider-Ham and Goose, but I’ve also had Luke Cage, Iceman, or Ghost in those slots.

For 3 drops, apart from the obvious in Surfer/Brood, I favor 3-drops that specifically mess with the opponent in some way. Right now, my 3-drops are:

Surfer - Obligatory.
Brood - Standard. Easy way to win or fill a lane.
Storm - Things generally go easier if you can lock down a lane. Great with Brood or Juggernaut.
Juggernaut - I love this card. Can guard your Storm lane, win an empty lane by itself on Turn 6, or, with priority, screw up location-sensitive plays like destroy cards eating things.
Shadow King - Another card I love. Shuts down any deck that buffs cards without using an Ongoing, which is many of them. It’s particularly funny to hit Venom with it, but you can also depower Bishop, Taskmaster, Angela, or Spider-Ham’s Pig (which becomes a 0-power card :getin:) Just, be sure to play him before your Surfer.
Jean Grey - Not obligatory by any means, but I pulled her and she’s been fun. Remember that she affects you, too - you can mitigate this with Brood at the cost of losing flexibility in that lane.
Killmonger - Definitely a meta-dependent pick. Shuts down opposing Sunspot and Nebula, as well as Nova if they play it early. You can snipe Kitty, too, if you can catch her (losing priority against a bounce deck is hard but you might need to do it to win).
Rogue - Another meta-dependent pick, but I love her too much to give her up. Can snag Darkhawks and Knulls, as well as Iron Man if someone plays that Living Tribunal deck against you.
Polaris: It’s a big body, and the move can sometimes disrupt the opponent’s formation.

Cards I don’t run but I’m cool with:
Maximus - he’s a big drop with a downside. I took him out when bounce was running wild, but he can win a Flooding lane and add a lot of power.

Dazzler - another “big drop”. Usually ends up a 3/4 or 3/6 before Surfer at the end of the game, depending on how tall you play. Places a slightly higher emphasis on playing Sera to unlock her full potential.

And now, 3 drops I would think twice about including:

Mr. Fantastic - I have seen this included in lists and I don’t like it. The body is pretty weak, as is the Ongoing effect, and Jeff makes a mock of him.

Cosmo - I don’t dislike the idea of Cosmo in Surfer. He’s a 3-drop and can shut down your opponent in powerful and hilarious ways if you drop him at the right time. It’s just… he shuts down your deck too, in that lane, since you have so many On Reveals. Choose wisely!

There are a lot of ways to build Surfer and the deck is very flexible - I encourage you to experiment (I even had Spider-Man in place of Sera for a while!).
Good luck!

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Someone got me today with a T5 Legion into Collapsed Mine. I had to laugh at that one, that was good.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Honestly not sure what I'm supposed to do against HE Storm Legion poo poo other than swipe my debit card enough to pull stuff like Jeff. Dumped as much fuckin' power as I could into two lanes but it doesn't mean poo poo because I don't have the card Jeff, even though I was fortunate enough to not have him draw HE Cyclops. Game's just over at turn five because I don't draw the specific cards needed to counter this bullshit.

Edit: It feels like absolute garbage that my low 3000s CL rear end is playing people with decks full of series 4 and 5 stuff.

Cabbit fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Jul 28, 2023

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

If your opponent has priority, and you suspect Storm Legion on T5, you can Storm/etc one of the other lanes on that turn to keep it open as a saving grace.

Eta: your opponent probably will have priority because they’re running Storm Legion.
The devs have said they like Legion’s design because it can trip up people whose deck relies on saving up for a massive Turn 6.

Quackles fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Jul 27, 2023

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Quackles posted:

If your opponent has priority, and you suspect Storm Legion on T5, you can Storm/etc one of the other lanes on that turn to keep it open as a saving grace.

Eta: your opponent probably will have priority because they’re running Storm Legion.
The devs have said they like Legion’s design because it can trip up people whose deck relies on saving up for a massive Turn 6.

I don't have poo poo to build decks that do anything but have a big turn six, save perhaps for playing Cerebro on 3 and Mystique on four and that typically ends with my Cerebro getting Enchantress'd and having no bodies on the field because I spent those turns trying to get my buffers out.

victorious
Jul 2, 2007

As a youth I prayed, "Give me chastity and continence, but not yet."
I just had Triskelion give me Agatha and Sauron in Conquest. Very cool to get my Knull nullified and Venom and Shang Chi played for zero effect.

Last King
Sep 29, 2007

In corporate R'lyeh, Cthulhu works you.

Fun Shoe

Cabbit posted:

Honestly not sure what I'm supposed to do against HE Storm Legion poo poo other than swipe my debit card enough to pull stuff like Jeff. Dumped as much fuckin' power as I could into two lanes but it doesn't mean poo poo because I don't have the card Jeff, even though I was fortunate enough to not have him draw HE Cyclops. Game's just over at turn five because I don't draw the specific cards needed to counter this bullshit.

Edit: It feels like absolute garbage that my low 2000s CL rear end is playing people with decks full of series 4 and 5 stuff.

i feel ya, i'm in the same boat (over 50% pool three incomplete). only token purchase i've made that felt really good was buying high evo. if you can, open him up this week because the other cards that work him you'll already have. he is absolutely worth it 100%. there's still four? days to grind out some credits for getting him if you can.

a lot of the meta decks right now i can't run because i'm just straight up missing pieces like zabu, bast, mysterio, dracula, mister negative, etc. i basically try to stick to a couple decent decks i can pilot well and just crossing your fingers that the rng favors you.

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

Kalman posted:

Someone got me today with a T5 Legion into Collapsed Mine. I had to laugh at that one, that was good.

If it was on the quickplay ladder in the neighborhood of rank 70 could have been me, did this to someone earlier this morning just for laughs. I've been having fun doing random poo poo like that with Legion.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Last King posted:

i feel ya, i'm in the same boat (over 50% pool three incomplete). only token purchase i've made that felt really good was buying high evo. if you can, open him up this week because the other cards that work him you'll already have. he is absolutely worth it 100%. there's still four? days to grind out some credits for getting him if you can.

a lot of the meta decks right now i can't run because i'm just straight up missing pieces like zabu, bast, mysterio, dracula, mister negative, etc. i basically try to stick to a couple decent decks i can pilot well and just crossing your fingers that the rng favors you.

Seems unlikely. I just earned and opened my 2nd spotlight cache this week, having saved one I earned awhile back, and:

Absolutely no chance I'll be gaining another 120 CL in the next four days, so I'm hosed.

victorious
Jul 2, 2007

gently caress this in particular:

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
scarlet witch can be handy in these legionerrific times

cirus
Apr 5, 2011
I love it

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

victorious posted:

gently caress this in particular:

How'd they get Legion on there in the first place? Stones I assume, but they would have needed to play Killmonger and Thanos too, all in the same turn.

victorious
Jul 2, 2007

Cattail Prophet posted:

How'd they get Legion on there in the first place? Stones I assume, but they would have needed to play Killmonger and Thanos too, all in the same turn.

That's the best part: the middle location was The Raft, which gave them 0-cost Thanos. Right hand side was The Nexus, which I was lining up for a Shuri-She Hulk-Taskmaster combo.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
But did you snap?

victorious
Jul 2, 2007

No, but I didn't retreat either. They deserved it for one of the most bullshit moves I've ever seen.

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest

victorious posted:

I just had Triskelion give me Agatha and Sauron in Conquest. Very cool to get my Knull nullified and Venom and Shang Chi played for zero effect.

i got paddled clean out of a neck and neck (2 cubes left each) gold ticket final game when turn 1 flipped triskelion and gave me agatha and then turn 2 flipped the peak and dumpstered my entire hand. cant even bring myself to be mad about such stupid luck

Last King
Sep 29, 2007

In corporate R'lyeh, Cthulhu works you.

Fun Shoe

Cabbit posted:

Seems unlikely. I just earned and opened my 2nd spotlight cache this week, having saved one I earned awhile back, and:

Absolutely no chance I'll be gaining another 120 CL in the next four days, so I'm hosed.

ugh, sorry man. that's the worst. i think the math on getting enough tokens for a new s5 card is six plus months now. it's absolutely awful and unforgiveable. if you've got the time and you're motivated, leave them feedback via the survey that just came out on mobile (under news section, which takes to you a web survey to fill out) and also on steam, google play, and apple app store. enough noise, and they'll have to respond further.... it could just be a while :smith:

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

Last King posted:

i think the math on getting enough tokens for a new s5 card is six plus months now.

Does that take into account the hotfix changing a Premium Mystery Variant (lol) into 1000 tokens?

https://marvelsnapzone.com/spotlight-cache-updates-duplicate-fallback-to-1000-collectors-tokens/

(I agree the 50 token caches were total nonsense)

Darke GBF
Dec 30, 2006

The cold never bothered me anyway~
Are spotlight caches always going to be available now? Like will there be a new set of spotlight cards next week?

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

:siren:Caught Cubs Posting:siren:

Darke GBF posted:

Are spotlight caches always going to be available now? Like will there be a new set of spotlight cards next week?

Yes. This should be your primary avenue of acquiring S5 cards instead of tokens now.

Darke GBF
Dec 30, 2006

The cold never bothered me anyway~

Devo posted:

Yes. This should be your primary avenue of acquiring S5 cards instead of tokens now.

excellent

Jehuti
Nov 19, 2010
Man after the spotlight cache update it just feels so bad to play, like cool I'm working towards a spotlight cache thats probably 1k tokens or a variant and all the other caches along the way feel like poo poo to open. Wow 50 tokens. awesome 120th or a 60th of a card. :unsmith:

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

(It's you!)

I dunno how much of a difference it'll make but the survey in the app is pretty comprehensive,

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

:siren:Caught Cubs Posting:siren:
Maybe I'm in the minority but I like spotlight caches for the most part. I have been a token hater since it was implemented. I did mention in the survey that I think they could just get rid of the random S4/S5 spotlight cache altogether. I think that would make the system feel way better and you wouldn't get hit with the complete whammy of pulling a card you already own. The old system was poo poo though and everyone is looking at it through rose-colored glasses because "ooooh choice".

The only real valid complaints are the lack of series drops for the time being and the 50 tokens in a cache bullshit. The lack of drops to S3 truly does suck and I hate pulling 50 tokens because it feels like a waste of a box. Outside of that I'd much rather gamble on pulling a new card out of a box with the downside of getting a cool variant if I already own it. Way better than sitting around with my thumb up my rear end and 9k tokens in the bank waiting for something that felt "worthwhile".

Concurred
Apr 23, 2003

My team got swept out of the playoffs, and all I got was this avatar and red text

Something I realized I don't really know much about: are split effects card-based or variant-based? I got my first Ink from an America Chavez split but I've only split that variant twice. I have six total splits across two different variants, however

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Concurred posted:

Something I realized I don't really know much about : are split effects card-based or variant-based? I got my first Ink from an America Chavez split but I've only split that variant twice. I have six total splits across two different variants, however

You answered your own question: they're card-based. If you've split any version of Amy Chav three times your split can be ink, five times and it can be gold.

victorious
Jul 2, 2007

Ohhhh I did not know that! That makes me feel worse for having 6 Shang Chi splits (plus the base and 2 variants) and still no gold or ink. My Phoenix Force variant with Black Stardust flair does look sweet though.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat

Devo posted:

Maybe I'm in the minority but I like spotlight caches for the most part. I have been a token hater since it was implemented. I did mention in the survey that I think they could just get rid of the random S4/S5 spotlight cache altogether. I think that would make the system feel way better and you wouldn't get hit with the complete whammy of pulling a card you already own. The old system was poo poo though and everyone is looking at it through rose-colored glasses because "ooooh choice".

The only real valid complaints are the lack of series drops for the time being and the 50 tokens in a cache bullshit. The lack of drops to S3 truly does suck and I hate pulling 50 tokens because it feels like a waste of a box. Outside of that I'd much rather gamble on pulling a new card out of a box with the downside of getting a cool variant if I already own it. Way better than sitting around with my thumb up my rear end and 9k tokens in the bank waiting for something that felt "worthwhile".

Until we know for sure what’s going on with series drops, what made the old system better was that on a long enough time scale players (at least season pass purchasing ones) would be collection complete; by spending tokens on the new cards you wanted, getting s4s from random drops and letting the others fall to s3 you were gradually getting ahead of the schedule. If series drops resume on a regular and consistent schedule and we start getting s3 cards from our boxes and freebies per month, sure, but they’ve explicitly said regular series drops will no longer happen and we don’t know when the next ones will be. So since I now save all my spotlight caches until the weeks that feel “worthwhile” to me I’ve gone from getting a new card every 40-something boxes and another new card or two per month while saving up tokens to getting zero new cards while saving up spotlights.

I kinda felt when the system was announced and launched that players around my collection level (S3 complete, 5 to 10 cards away from being collection complete) were getting stuck into a no-man’s land of card acquisition and so far that’s exactly what my experience has been.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
It is true. If you don’t open spotlight caches, you won’t get any cards.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

doingitwrong posted:

It is true. If you don’t open spotlight caches, you won’t get any cards.

The problem is that if you're close to S4-complete you can open the vast majority of your Spotlight Caches and still not get any cards. I literally cannot open a new card other than the brand new Spotlight card until at least the second week of September, because the only S4/5 cards I don't have are ones that aren't on the schedule. That feels bad, and what makes it feel worse is that how many new cards I get in September is entirely dependent on how lucky I get when it comes to opening X-23.

Vanilla Bison
Mar 27, 2010

In the old system you could never open a Series 5 card, and all the new cards were S5 for months. Both systems throttle you from staying collection complete without spending cash, while being more generous to players catching up with more gaps in their collections.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Under the old system there would be a chance, however small, to get High Evo from any cache I open and even if I didn't it gave you Collector's Tokens at a rate that meant if it showed up in the shop I might be able to buy it. Under the new system it appears I'm screwed once the week is over, and tokens come at such a glacial rate that purchasing cards with them no longer seems realistic, which makes that currency completely redundant.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
You were soooo unlikely to get high evo from a cache. I do agree they should have kept the .2 percenter tho because why not? It costs nothing and everyone who lucks out will broadcast their success on reddit.

Gaussian
Sep 20, 2001

I'll give you a box of chocolates if you kill me.

Nap Ghost
I've always liked discard so I think I'm just going to hoard spotlight caches until next season. I've always loved X-23. Hopefully that season will lead to a renaissance of discard!

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
Discard Dracula is still okay (imo the Swarm shell is bad and you should just tech like crazy instead), there's a Hela Living Tribunal floating around too!

Gaussian
Sep 20, 2001

I'll give you a box of chocolates if you kill me.

Nap Ghost

Marx Headroom posted:

Discard Dracula is still okay (imo the Swarm shell is bad and you should just tech like crazy instead), there's a Hela Living Tribunal floating around too!

Hela/Living Tribunal sounds interesting. Losing to Hela decks is always so frustrating so that sounds like fun!

canyonero
Aug 3, 2006
Hoogland has a video up this morning where he shows that the new system is actually better in most circumstances, even though it doesn't feel like it. I think it's more from the perspective of getting newly released cards though, versus waiting for series drops. But his math shows that f2p can get 8 out of the 13 new releases on their release week every 13 weeks. Season Pass people can get 11 out of 13, and that the price to stay collection complete for people like him has gone from $310 a month to $160 a month (averages based on bundles with tokens and credits). This all assumes you're maxing out everything, including weekend missions, Conquest, and rank 90 each season. I think those are probably unmanageable for lots of people.

Even if that's all true (he includes a spreadsheet if you want to double check his numbers), the system sure feels bad. I bought Legion because I have some tokens. But I'm sitting on 6 Spotlight Caches and will probably hold them until X-23 as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Its better if you dont account for S3 drops being nonexistent now.