Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

The 4.04 patch is out for Switch, meaning it’s finally possible to bring your Switch save over to the other platforms with version 4.0. I’m excited, I was waiting to play the PS5 version because I didn’t want to start fresh. *slams fists on the table* MORE WITCHER!!!

Edit: I’m gonna be fighting with my wife over the PS5 since I’m still playing FFXVI and she wants to play Witcher

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
If I bought Witcher 3 on PS4 do I own the upgrade on PS5 like I do with Spider-Man Miles Morales and Horizon Forbidden West?

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
yes, but depending on whether or not you have the GOTY version or the regular version + DLC you may need to mess around in the little ... tab on your PS5 to find the free upgrade

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Wolfsheim posted:

yes, but depending on whether or not you have the GOTY version or the regular version + DLC you may need to mess around in the little ... tab on your PS5 to find the free upgrade

Okay cool, I'll dig around, because I did buy the base game when it was on sale and the loved it so much I bought the DLCs at full price.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I'm happy to report that the audio glitch at the end of the duel with Olgierd in Hearts of Stone has been fixed with the enhanced edition. Olgierd actually gets to finish his pun about losing his head without being interrupted by his next line about releasing the prisoner.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Air Skwirl posted:

Okay cool, I'll dig around, because I did buy the base game when it was on sale and the loved it so much I bought the DLCs at full price.

yeah its annoying, like wolfsheim said its buried being a "..." menu in the store or library page but you have it, its how i played the enhanced edition. it has auto apply oils and really that's the only mod i ever truly cared about. the various bugfixes and little touches like fixing clipping issues on armor are nice but sitting on my couch with my big tv trumps it.

the only major bug ive seen is cobwebs glowing purple if ray tracing is on.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Magic spiders

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
I'm sure it's a graphical error, or some buried setting deep within the menus, but I don't think my bleeds are applying.

I have 3/3 Crippling Strikes, and the 6/6 grandmaster Wolven set, so I should be applying a bleed to everything that *can* bleed, and 3 times at that. However, I don't see the red numbers tick above the enemies, and they don't appear to lose health over time, like a DoT should.

I have the ability equipped in my character pane, so I'm not sure if something is wrong, or if it's actually working and just not showing.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
The setting is called 'Critical hit and effect text', under hud config I'm pretty sure

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
Hmm. It seems like bleed doesn't apply to drowners/ghouls, which is strange.

Now that I'm in NG+, I'm finding random trash swords in cabinets that out damage my current grandmaster swords. How far can bleed carry me? Is it justification enough to keep using the 6/6 GM Wolven set just for the bleed bonus it confers?

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
I don't know about NG+, but DoTs did get a huge level-based buff with the latest patch.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

lite_sleepr posted:

Hmm. It seems like bleed doesn't apply to drowners/ghouls, which is strange.

Now that I'm in NG+, I'm finding random trash swords in cabinets that out damage my current grandmaster swords. How far can bleed carry me? Is it justification enough to keep using the 6/6 GM Wolven set just for the bleed bonus it confers?

you are probably gonna want to switch swords pretty quick yeah. Keep Grandmaster armor on though, because armor doesn't scale that much but weapon damage sure does.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

yeah, use NG+ to try out all the random swords. there are so many good and cool looking ones in the game its a shame they overshadowed them so much with the witcher gear ones.

same with the armor tbh, some fancier versions of the more drag but very realistic commoner armors would have been cool.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

It does seem odd that this game never got a glamour mode that lets you apply the cosmetics from one armor to another. Asscreed did it, we should copy them

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

WoodrowSkillson posted:

yeah, use NG+ to try out all the random swords. there are so many good and cool looking ones in the game its a shame they overshadowed them so much with the witcher gear ones.

same with the armor tbh, some fancier versions of the more drag but very realistic commoner armors would have been cool.

I always wished that the game either had transmog or it let you choose the style of the sword when you crafted it.

And that dyes were actually purchaseable before Beauclair. There's even dye pools in Novigrad!

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

10 Beers posted:

I always wished that the game either had transmog or it let you choose the style of the sword when you crafted it.

And that dyes were actually purchaseable before Beauclair. There's even dye pools in Novigrad!

I have a mod that lets me buy dyes as early as white orchard.

Black unicorn and long claw are such cool swords.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

lite_sleepr posted:

I have a mod that lets me buy dyes as early as white orchard.

Black unicorn and long claw are such cool swords.

yeah mods like that i definitely missed on ps5 after having them on PC, but the ray traying and poo poo was too good

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I ended up filling my chest with a lot of the swords that are interesting or have story purposes but aren't actually useful.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Oh, for sure. If you threw away the cheese sword because it doesn't have good stats, you're not having enough fun with the game, or with life.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

SlothfulCobra posted:

I ended up filling my chest with a lot of the swords that are interesting or have story purposes but aren't actually useful.

It's a shame Corvo Bianco doesn't have more weapon racks. You get enough armor racks, imo, but would love more places to hang up some of those cooler swords.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Ravenfood posted:

It's a shame Corvo Bianco doesn't have more weapon racks. You get enough armor racks, imo, but would love more places to hang up some of those cooler swords.

It's a real disconnect with the amount of swords the game gives you yeah

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

WoodrowSkillson posted:

yeah mods like that i definitely missed on ps5 after having them on PC, but the ray traying and poo poo was too good

lol I have the Xbox series X and Ray tracing makes it choke and die. Very dumb.

What's up with relic swords? Are they great? Do they out rank yellow and blue? I assume it goes in rank order common magic yellow relic then Witcher gear.

Also I unlocked Hattori, but I guess I have zero manuscripts and Hattori forgot how to forge stuff because he can't craft anything.

NG+ sucks. I want everything in a NG.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

lite_sleepr posted:

lol I have the Xbox series X and Ray tracing makes it choke and die. Very dumb.

What's up with relic swords? Are they great? Do they out rank yellow and blue? I assume it goes in rank order common magic yellow relic then Witcher gear.

Also I unlocked Hattori, but I guess I have zero manuscripts and Hattori forgot how to forge stuff because he can't craft anything.

NG+ sucks. I want everything in a NG.

Yeah it goes grey, blue, yellow, orange, green (witcher gear). relic swords can be very good. Aerondight and Blade of the Bits both level with geralt. Otherwise they are often slightly better at raw damage than the witcher sword of similar level, and might be full bore on one thing geralt does such as give a large bonus to bleed, or a couple signs, or something like that.

Its another area where the entire concept of leveling is something more of a hindrance than a help because these should all be dope swords but instead are mostly ignored.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
It's a huge flaw in this game design, where you'll find a bad rear end sword, or you love the look of the starter Kaher Morhen set, but then you find some patchwork bundle of rags in a sack behind a swamp house that is 3x better than the gear you have.

I see there is a mod that allows you to level the starting KM armor set, but it looks wonky and unreliable, as it's tied to learning cat and griffin school manuscripts. I think there is a mod that just causes your stuff to level with you.

:confus:

lite_sleepr fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Jul 25, 2023

Ouroboros
Apr 23, 2011
I just finished the base game and first DLC and got to Blood and Wine, and running into a whole bunch of graphical bugs in Toussaint that I've not seen elsewhere. The lighting seems off in places and just way blown out in general, and the edges of the screen are kind of smeared and blurred. On top of that there's a huge broken texture tower that dominates one area of the landscape, which kinda sucks because its visible from almost anywhere and in the background of most cutscenes that are outdoors. Reinstalling the game so hopefully that fixes it. Having just played through all three Witcher games I have to say 3 is by far the buggiest, not that surprising I guess given it's scope. But it does suck to have frequent crashes to desktop, minute long freezes and numerous visual bugs in an 8 year old game still receiving active support.

It is such a fantastic game though, and clearly the best of the series. Pretty much everything is done at least pretty well and better than either of the previous games and it looks absolutely stunning. It would feel overly harsh to nitpick on instances of poor writing etc because while they are there, there's just so drat much of it that that's to be expected. If I had one main criticism it would be the combat, which is honestly fine. It does feel like if they could have made a better combat system (and fixed the difficulty curve) I may never need to play another game.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Can you post a picture of the bug in Toussaint? I believe you and I'm wondering if there was a lighting issue because the lighting in general in Toussaint has a very heavy yellow filter over it.

Ouroboros
Apr 23, 2011

Arc Hammer posted:

Can you post a picture of the bug in Toussaint? I believe you and I'm wondering if there was a lighting issue because the lighting in general in Toussaint has a very heavy yellow filter over it.

I would but the reinstall seems to have fixed it thankfully. Still crashing to desktop every couple of hours mind!

Ouroboros
Apr 23, 2011
Finally finished my playthrough of the whole series including all the W3 DLC, and drat W3 is a good game. DLC was great, HoS had the best main story and high point (party quest), but B&W was just on a totally different scale in terms of content and looked absolutely gorgeous. I am a bit miffed that I found the ending of B&W to be a bit of a letdown before I went back and realised they hid the absolute best part of the whole DLC behind the other (wrong) decision! But yeah, I remembered it being good from when I played it about to Skellige or so on release, but I was surprised that it basically hasn't aged a day in all those years and exceeded my expectations. I enjoyed all three games to a degree, 1 pleasantly surprised me with how well it held up, 2 shocked me with how badly it has aged but won me over eventually (still probably the low point of the series though). 3 is a stone cold classic and would be just as lauded if it came out tomorrow, beautiful and detailed world, brings back all the twisted fairy tale atmosphere that was missing from 2 in incredible fidelity with a huge amount of detail, brilliantly well written. The fact that it has to jump through the narrative hoops of capping off a trilogy that most players probably never played any of and following on from a book series that even less had even heard of let alone read, and yet still manages to be (mostly) coherent and believable is a testament to the strength of the writing (though I did find the reliance on book lore somewhat alienating at times, particularly with the whiplash introduction of Yennifer and Ciri in the third game). I had a few nitpicks with things like some of the voice acting, bugs and the combat, but overall just a great game.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Ravenfood posted:

The Wight's lair's cellar, but with swords instead of spoons.

Ouroboros
Apr 23, 2011
Also have to note how strange it was to run into a lengthy send up (Paperchase in B&W) of an Asterix movie I seared into my brain as a 5 year old and have not thought about since nor ever heard anyone make reference to. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4StpMBjMmlY

In general I was not expecting the sheer volume of pop culture references in the series, 3 in particular. It wasn't Borderlands but it certainly didn't quite fit the quite grim and serious tone that I had in my mind that the Witcher was. Definitely a funnier game than I remember it being.

Ouroboros fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Jul 28, 2023

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Ouroboros posted:

Also have to note how strange it was to run into a lengthy send up (Paperchase in B&W) of an Asterix movie I seared into my brain as a 5 year old and have not thought about since nor ever heard anyone make reference to. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4StpMBjMmlY

In general I was not expecting the sheer volume of pop culture references in the series, 3 in particular. It wasn't Borderlands but it certainly didn't quite fit the quite grim and serious tone that I had in my mind that the Witcher was. Definitely a funnier game than I remember it being.

The insult duel with "Mancomb" was my favorite personally

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I like when Geralt wins the fistfight with the lady knight and she gets mad that he doesn't mock her and he's all "it's the 13th century get with the times!"

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Ainsley McTree posted:

Mancomb is so good. Toussaint is just a lot more lighthearted than Velen, even if their are funny moments in the base W3 or Heart of Stone.

But I'm pretty sure that you're supposed to find Nivellen and the incredibly thinly veiled Beauty and the Beast reference funny, all the way back to the first short story connection, and I got a little laugh at Snow White stabbing the rapist Huntsman through the ear with her broach. The series started with a ton of references and comedy.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Ravenfood posted:

Mancomb is so good. Toussaint is just a lot more lighthearted than Velen, even if their are funny moments in the base W3 or Heart of Stone.

But I'm pretty sure that you're supposed to find Nivellen and the incredibly thinly veiled Beauty and the Beast reference funny, all the way back to the first short story connection, and I got a little laugh at Snow White stabbing the rapist Huntsman through the ear with her broach. The series started with a ton of references and comedy.

I also thought it was funny that you could easily step on thumbalina and kill her completely by mistake. At least that's what happened to me, maybe you all were more careful about where you were walking

Ouroboros
Apr 23, 2011
Other random thoughts: while the Yen and Triss stuff was very well handled (at least in comparison with its Bioware-esque contemporaries), something about the whole thing just felt off from the context of playing through the three games as a series. I went with Yen because it felt like the game really wanted me to, but it just didn't feel earned and didn't really start to work until the end of the game. It felt like there was some massive details that should sit between Witcher 2 and 3 that (at least as far as I saw) weren't ever fleshed out at all. The Yen relationship never really made sense to me, there was an established relationship with Triss that went across 2 games and seems to have been cast aside without any real detail as to why, and the game seemed to expect a deep implied connection with this new character who has barely been mentioned before and almost all the early interactions involve them at each others throats and Yen being generally awful. Like I say I felt the game was telling me that Geralt had this deep connection with her, but it did a terrible job of showing that in a convincing way, at least until much later in the game.

Also why was the Hearts of Stone guy David Beckham??

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Ainsley McTree posted:

Oh for gently caress's sake. I just now got that. :doh:

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Yen makes more sense once you read the novels, you would've done well to pick Triss though given she is objectively the superior option.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Ouroboros posted:

Also why was the Hearts of Stone guy David Beckham??

Why aren't there more David Beckhams in fantasy Poland?

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

Gaius Marius posted:

Yen makes more sense once you read the novels, you would've done well to pick Triss though given she is objectively the superior option.

Wrong, she's a rapist who took advantage of a disabled person

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splorange
Feb 23, 2011

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Wrong, she's a rapist who took advantage of a disabled person

Hey now, it was totally consensual, unlike the Djinn enforced coupling with a narcissist egomaniac.