Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

I enjoyed that! The self-aware revival stuff was okay, but other than that the sense of humor seemed just right and there were a lot of good jokes in there ("PC crowd" probably being my favorite). It's a better start than the last revival, and that one, despite some low points, also ended up producing some of my favorite episodes of the series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

egon_beeblebrox posted:

J., Philip I Fry

That at the PC crowd joke felt very on brand Futurama.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The NFT joke was good especially because Fox has a new animated show starting this fall which has a loving NFT tie-in.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Mooseontheloose posted:

That at the PC crowd joke felt very on brand Futurama.

And the "move that out of the way to get to the atomic calendar" bit

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

^That reminded me so much of Mr Coffee from Spaceballs [as I previously posted]. Also reminds me of Bart's useless yellow, lemon-shaped rock.

I always drink coffee when I watch radar!

TheFattestPat
Dec 28, 2012

Santa Cat Says: Good deeds are the things to always do, just make sure someone is watching you
I loved all the stuff with the soap opera, Calculon is my hero. They went too direct with all the things about getting cancelled and how streaming is what we do now.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I really like that Hulu shows an episodes original air date. That way I can look up the previous finale and assure myself that they were exaggerating about Futurama getting canceled 10 years ago. My existential dread over how quickly time is passing is entirely unfounded and I'll prove it to myself with the... date that.. the finale aired on.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

I really like that Hulu shows an episodes original air date. That way I can look up the previous finale and assure myself that they were exaggerating about Futurama getting canceled 10 years ago. My existential dread over how quickly time is passing is entirely unfounded and I'll prove it to myself with the... date that.. the finale aired on.

The episode where Amy and Kif's kids come out of the swamp will air 20 years to date after the original.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Cojawfee posted:

You thought "the scary mirror" was a reference to a TV show from 50 years ago and not a current show with mirror in the name?

I would think of the scary door

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Jerusalem posted:

One joke I did really enjoy was when Amy suggests that maybe Leela should try dating somebody else and mentions,"Kif has a friend, his name's Zapp...."

Not really a flashy line, but this felt classic Simpsons/Futurama to me too. It's very "a character is as stupid as the joke and plot demand it", and I love the idea of Amy somehow forgetting the tons of past interactions they've had.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

Nichael posted:

Not really a flashy line, but this felt classic Simpsons/Futurama to me too. It's very "a character is as stupid as the joke and plot demand it", and I love the idea of Amy somehow forgetting the tons of past interactions they've had.

It’s possible that the line is meant to reintroduce Zapp since there’s a good chance that some people are watching the show for the first time too. Proper intro likely next week.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Definitely a decent chance, apparently they're doing a Fortnite cross-promo thing.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!

Nichael posted:

There were a lot of very subtle/understated jokes in that first episode. One of the things that made me love Futurama in the first place.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Sab669 posted:

Definitely a decent chance, apparently they're doing a Fortnite cross-promo thing.

Futurama is now part of the same fictional universe as Star Wars.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Futurama is now part of the same fictional universe as Star Wars.

I hear that up-and-coming artist, Justin Roiland, has graciously contributed his work to the Fortnite and Futurama universes as well.

Island Nation posted:

It’s possible that the line is meant to reintroduce Zapp since there’s a good chance that some people are watching the show for the first time too. Proper intro likely next week.

Not shooting that down, but I think Zapp is probably one of the most recognizable characters in the show.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Sab669 posted:

Somehow, Zapp Brannigan returned

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I'm glad they didn't kill off Calculon again. It was weird when they did it the first time and even stranger when they brought him back to kill him again.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

That was way better than I expected. The only thing I thought was missing was like, a single line to explain how the "Fry's brainwaves are synced with the TV!" ticking clock stopped being a problem, but you can just infer that crisis was averted by the reboot being bad. In terms of jokes it was on point, had a lot of good, weird laugh lines, and treated the premise as a way to play with the Futurama setting rather than a straight parody.

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007
I really thought during the court scene when Fry was talking about how bringing back shows pointlessly was bad, that the hyperchicken lawyer would whisper into Fry's ear and he would say something like: "Your honor, it is ok to bring back a tv show so long as the most important people get paid" and then it would immediately cut to Matt Groening's name or something.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

Island Nation posted:

I took Amy's tone as just a "Zapp's not looking so bad now, is he?" dig to poke Leela about Fry.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Nichael posted:

It's very "a character is as stupid as the joke and plot demand it",

Probably not quite the same thing since it's Fry we're talking about, who has a brain like Leela's prom dress, but one of my favorite ever gags from the original run of Futurama is:

Fry: We can escape through this steam pipe.... oh no, it's full of steam!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sE8aVgOxjJU

:allears:

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Jerusalem posted:

Probably not quite the same thing since it's Fry we're talking about, who has a brain like Leela's prom dress, but one of my favorite ever gags from the original run of Futurama is:

Fry: We can escape through this steam pipe.... oh no, it's full of steam!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sE8aVgOxjJU

:allears:

It works on a few levels because people escape through steam pipes and things quite a bit in older sci-fi

TheFattestPat
Dec 28, 2012

Santa Cat Says: Good deeds are the things to always do, just make sure someone is watching you
Zap Brannigan is the man with no name!

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Wii k question not related at all to the reboot: was there ever an episode of the original run where the cartoon being shown in the intro was The Simpsons? I have a strong memory of seeing that when the show first aired but I can’t seem to find it online, so I’m guessing my brain made it up at some point, but just wanted to ask here on the off chance it actually did happen since it’s bugging me.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Chairman Capone posted:

Wii k question not related at all to the reboot: was there ever an episode of the original run where the cartoon being shown in the intro was The Simpsons? I have a strong memory of seeing that when the show first aired but I can’t seem to find it online, so I’m guessing my brain made it up at some point, but just wanted to ask here on the off chance it actually did happen since it’s bugging me.
Fry and the Slurm Factory in production season 1
https://theinfosphere.org/List_of_opening_cartoons

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

There's still this weird pebble in my mind's shoe about the fact that The Simpsons is both canon to the world of Futurama and also a fictional show within it.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

LividLiquid posted:

There's still this weird pebble in my mind's shoe about the fact that The Simpsons is both canon to the world of Futurama and also a fictional show within it.

Its the two box problem all over again!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

LividLiquid posted:

The toy Bart that Bender found (and ate his shorts) was merchandise from Bart's brief period as the "I didn't do it" kid on the Krusty the Clown show, clearly :colbert:

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS
Oh, I like the smell of my own dumps.
This week is more of what I expected the return to be. Nothing particularly funny at all this week. Last week had a few good jokes. This was just, hey remember stuff without very good or clever jokes.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
Yeah, that was really, really pointless. Just an empty rear end episode.

I got a laugh out of Zoidberg joining in on the winnowing, but I think that was about it. A good entry in the "why even make this" pile. When you're grabbing the classic character of "the whale biologist who hates whales" for a reference, you should probably think about what you're doing.

Again, shame, since I thought the story for the 1st one wasn't great but the actual joke writing was pretty good in spots. Plus we've still got the cancel culture and covid episodes ahead of us.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Billy West sounds noticeably old when he's doing Fry's voice now.

This show doesn't have to be back, but whatever. Oddly charming that it is.

Dart boarding that based on the second episode, this season ends with Lelia and Fry having a kid.

CatstropheWaitress fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Jul 31, 2023

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

One thing I like is that they keep with the in show continuity where despite the characters not seeming to age they acknowledge they have all been working together for a quarter of a century at this point.

Seems like there is something to mine there for an episode, that could also reflect on the present day, where the characters are late 40s/early 50s but still living their mid 20s lifestyle.

Heck, wasn't Amy only at Planet Express as an intern or something?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Senor Tron posted:

One thing I like is that they keep with the in show continuity where despite the characters not seeming to age they acknowledge they have all been working together for a quarter of a century at this point.

Seems like there is something to mine there for an episode, that could also reflect on the present day, where the characters are late 40s/early 50s but still living their mid 20s lifestyle.

Heck, wasn't Amy only at Planet Express as an intern or something?

They kinda handwaved at traveling 10 years into the future stuff in the first episode back.

Amy was an intern. She got her doctorate in an awful Comedy Central era episode about a planet of cats stealing the rotational energy of the earth.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

New episode was weird. I don't think it was bad, really, it just wasn't funny. Just felt like "Here's what the gang is up to these days."

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

PostNouveau posted:

Amy was an intern. She got her doctorate in an awful Comedy Central era episode about a planet of cats stealing the rotational energy of the earth.

One of the worst episodes of the CC era.

egon_beeblebrox posted:

Just felt like "Here's what the gang is up to these days."

A lot of the CC-era episodes felt like that. Like they were so concerned with plot that they forgot to add jokes. So there's consistency at least!

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

If you don't love Futurama at its That Darn Katz!, you don't deserve Futurama at its The Late Philip J. Fry :colbert:

e; now I had to go look up the song
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LE1drY3A418

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
It felt a bit weird that the emotional climax of the one where Kif has the babies was Amy returning to defend them from predators as they made their way to the swamp, and then in this one they just stand around and watch most of them get eaten.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

OldSenileGuy posted:

One of the worst episodes of the CC era.

I was looking through the episode list on Hulu last night and I had forgotten how dire that first batch of Comedy Central episodes was, Late Philip J. Fry notwithstanding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

PostNouveau posted:

It felt a bit weird that the emotional climax of the one where Kif has the babies was Amy returning to defend them from predators as they made their way to the swamp, and then in this one they just stand around and watch most of them get eaten.

Also Leela not remembering that was weird, but at least it set up a funny joke with the sex-ed video. It really should've been Fry or Bender not recalling the process though.