Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

I am very excited about Starfield because it's a Bethesda TPG and only slightly excited because it's a spaceship game.

Elite's crowning achievement to me is the persistent, to-scale model of the galaxy and celestial bodies. There's never going to be another game that makes space exploration feel so real for me and I'm going to miss it badly when it's gone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

drat Dirty Ape posted:

Just a reminder that their last major release was Fallout 76.

I would bet big time that walking around will feel largely the same as any fallout or elder scrolls game and that NPCs will have that same "barbie doll staring at you" feeling

e I think it will be good as Elder Scrolls 6000 AD but not as a new Elite

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

Inspector Hound posted:

e I think it will be good as Elder Scrolls 6000 AD

I think they explicitly stated that it would be as much at some point yeah; not sure why anyone would expect it to have a well-fleshed out flight experience tbh

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

No HOTAS/HOSAS support, so far as I've been able to figure out.

You just broke my loving heart.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

dialhforhero posted:

You just broke my loving heart.
I broke my own heart too, believe me.

DirectInput and Xinput/GameInput* are the most common API for handling HID devices which aren't a keyboard and a mouse, and of those only the second is supported.
This wouldn't really be a problem, except for a boneheaded decisions made by Microsoft which means that Xinput only has four analogue axis instead of six, and only supports a tiny amount of buttons on each device (basically only enough for the Xbox Controller, unsurprisingly), as well as a limited number of devices.

*: I'm pretty sure GameInput is just a rebranding of Xinput, because while Xinput only registers GamePads and GameInput registers FlightSticks, it's not meaningfully different and looks to be mechanically convertable (ie. using some sort of IDE automation to switch from one to the other).

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

playing this again, never did my 5k away to unlock 2 enginerds so I'm headed to Cygnus X-1 and picking space flowers along the way

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
I'm about halfway through the list of engineer unlocks. I've been galavanting around in my krait doing massacre missions for materials and money in between unlocks.

I may take a break and go exploring again when I get tired of the loop.

Elite is still the best god drat space sim and it is kinda annoying that nothing else comes close.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

I went up form the bubble 500ly then another direction for a few hundred before pointing my nose at Cygnus X-1 and I've been getting tons of first discoveries, surprised at that this close to the bubble.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.
I still need to try exobiology. I have a fully engineered exploration beluga with every amenity I could want and I need a reason to use it again.

Arae
Jul 27, 2003

Jabarto posted:

I still need to try exobiology. I have a fully engineered exploration beluga with every amenity I could want and I need a reason to use it again.

You might want to consider a different ship unless you're 100% set on Beluga. Large ships are bad because you will need to use SRV more. If you don't care about getting "every" plant, then it might not be a big deal.

You want something fun to fly and easy to land.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

Arae posted:

You might want to consider a different ship unless you're 100% set on Beluga. Large ships are bad because you will need to use SRV more. If you don't care about getting "every" plant, then it might not be a big deal.

It may not be the best ship for the job but it's in the top 1% of all exploration ships out there.

In all seriousness I do have a DBX that I like just as much so I'll probably end up using that.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
Dolphin is my go-to for exobiology. Put a 4A fuel scoop on it, a guardian FSD Booster, and you don't even need the SRV but you can still fit it.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

I like using the SRV. Being able to drive around on planets where no one's ever been is half the fun.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

I hope this game open sources one day so we get to see what an absolute clusterfuck the code is. Im guessing magic numbers everywhere, hard coding collision detection for ships by hand, all that shebang. Bonus points for random memory poking at specific addresses, cherry on the top if it's to fix a bug.

I contend that their developers are so monumentally bad and terrible at their jobs that they did crunch early on and put in a bunch of shadows and mirrors for the MVP, some super bad design decisions with intent to replace them later. Then that guy gets fired and the new developers are sliiiiightly more poo poo at their jobs so instead of replacing the systems, they are just scared to do that.

Theres really no other reason to not have added more ships or thrown players a similar bone like that. IMO the only reasonable explanation is that the game codebase is such a trashfire they can't.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Arae posted:

I wish this was advice I had seen before I set off on my year-long exploration trip around the edge of the galaxy because while I love my Exploraconda very very much, it is a royal pain in the rear end to essentially have to use it as a dropship that then takes back off a few minutes later while I'm driving around the SRV. I wish they'd just let us deploy on foot from fighters already, it would solve so many issues

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

big nipples big life posted:

playing this again, never did my 5k away to unlock 2 enginerds so I'm headed to Cygnus X-1 and picking space flowers along the way

It will never cease to amaze me how absolutely magnificent planetary surfaces, ships, stations and buildings can be in this game, like the first image here for example, and how horribly out of place and uncanny the added props are, whether it's plants or fumaroles. :psyduck:

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

alexandriao posted:

I hope this game open sources one day so we get to see what an absolute clusterfuck the code is. Im guessing magic numbers everywhere, hard coding collision detection for ships by hand, all that shebang. Bonus points for random memory poking at specific addresses, cherry on the top if it's to fix a bug.

I contend that their developers are so monumentally bad and terrible at their jobs that they did crunch early on and put in a bunch of shadows and mirrors for the MVP, some super bad design decisions with intent to replace them later. Then that guy gets fired and the new developers are sliiiiightly more poo poo at their jobs so instead of replacing the systems, they are just scared to do that.

Theres really no other reason to not have added more ships or thrown players a similar bone like that. IMO the only reasonable explanation is that the game codebase is such a trashfire they can't.

I think this is the correct take. The codebase is probably a mine field, and there is probably real complexity in adding new resources of certain types, and my bet is all of those dev resources are focused on the thargoid content.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

HonorableTB posted:

I wish this was advice I had seen before I set off on my year-long exploration trip around the edge of the galaxy because while I love my Exploraconda very very much, it is a royal pain in the rear end to essentially have to use it as a dropship that then takes back off a few minutes later while I'm driving around the SRV. I wish they'd just let us deploy on foot from fighters already, it would solve so many issues

The beluga does having shockingly good maneuverability for its size, much better than the anaconda.

That said I rolled in a type 10 for a really long time so i may have a skewed perspective of what's a pain to fly lol

Fatrick
Jul 19, 2003

*Jumping Peppers!* *Enjoy the Sauce!*

Jabarto posted:

That said I rolled in a type 10 for a really long time so i may have a skewed perspective of what's a pain to fly lol

Type 10 spoiler crew represent

Tommy the Newt
Mar 25, 2017

The king of the sand castle
Beluga is faster in a straight line, and rolls slightly faster, but the anaconda is significantly better by every other movement metric, as well as having a distributor 2 sizes larger and better boost power transfer to positional thrust.

There's kind of a trap in Elite where ships that roll fast give the impression of being nimble to the player, because roll makes the stars move fast across your screen, but in terms of actual mobility it's not very important. This is also why there's an enduring myth that Corvettes are more agile than Anacondas despite being heavier, much slower yawing and essentially exactly the same in pitch speed in practice.

The misconception of the value of roll does result in a lot of players spinning hard like rotisserie chickens, expending their finite thruster power transfer on a manoeuvre they perceive as being evasive, but isn't. Anyway, long story short, don't be too swayed by roll speeds, it leaves an inaccurate impression of a ship's real agility. It would be more significant in an aircraft game where roll is inseparable from vector.

Plan R
Oct 5, 2021

For Romeo

Fatrick posted:

I love attempting to land on a planet before I notice it's 3 or 4 times normal gravity.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

wow, I only turned in like 10 space plants but because of the first to discover bonuses I got 384 million.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

Tommy the Newt posted:

Beluga is faster in a straight line, and rolls slightly faster, but the anaconda is significantly better by every other movement metric, as well as having a distributor 2 sizes larger and better boost power transfer to positional thrust.

There's kind of a trap in Elite where ships that roll fast give the impression of being nimble to the player, because roll makes the stars move fast across your screen, but in terms of actual mobility it's not very important. This is also why there's an enduring myth that Corvettes are more agile than Anacondas despite being heavier, much slower yawing and essentially exactly the same in pitch speed in practice.

The misconception of the value of roll does result in a lot of players spinning hard like rotisserie chickens, expending their finite thruster power transfer on a manoeuvre they perceive as being evasive, but isn't. Anyway, long story short, don't be too swayed by roll speeds, it leaves an inaccurate impression of a ship's real agility. It would be more significant in an aircraft game where roll is inseparable from vector.

The anaconda has significantly worse yaw, which doesn't matter much in a dogfight but is handy when panning your view while hovering close to a planetary surface, and its pitch is about the same. It also has much worse supercruise handling, which again is where most exploration ships are going to spend most of their time.

Fatrick posted:

I have to admit I eventually switched over to a cutter. I just couldn't deal with the bad internals and paper thin shield.

Fatrick
Jul 19, 2003

*Jumping Peppers!* *Enjoy the Sauce!*

Jabarto posted:

I have to admit I eventually switched over to a cutter. I just couldn't deal with the bad internals and paper thin shield.

Quitter

Tommy the Newt
Mar 25, 2017

Jabarto posted:

The anaconda has significantly worse yaw,

That's true it does, sorry I was misremembering its stats. Yaw is a super great stat, including in dogfighting. That's my bad, I was on a hair trigger with my Corvette rant (which does have much slower yaw, unfortunately)

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

How can we lose so much more than we had before

alexandriao posted:

I mean, the game is on maintenance mode at this point. I doubt they have more than a couple devs on it. They just put out official WONTFIX notes on their broken AA, shadows, crashes, etc.

They really bit off more than they could chew with Odyssey which is a shame. That part plays fine, albeit with some pretty lackluster content, but there just isn't enough content. In a game that didn't have enough space content. I'm not entirely convinced that the game is that jank under the hood, they just made major technical blunders with integrating the ground and space content. It doesn't have to even be that people were hardwiring things in a terrible, terrible way, it's just that they completely failed to maintain a scene budget and asset handling. They scrambled for a few months to try to improve things before giving up on the game entirely, more or less. The last update's assets already existed in the game in some forms, and wasn't really a significant thing. They had to then pretend it was by telling people "oh we aren't even going to tell you, it's a secret, go explore". That content was then exhausted by streamers in less than 2 hours. Since then, nothing. And what's in next week's patch? Who knows. I wouldn't count on much. They just have no support.

Cutedge fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Jul 29, 2023

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

I rather like my Explorer Conda :sun:

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

Tommy the Newt posted:

That's true it does, sorry I was misremembering its stats. Yaw is a super great stat, including in dogfighting. That's my bad, I was on a hair trigger with my Corvette rant (which does have much slower yaw, unfortunately)

No worries. I've read a lot of your posts in this thread and they've been really good and helpful as I was learning the game.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Wibla posted:

I rather like my Explorer Conda :sun:

I have a diamondback I engineered forever ago, and I recently tried to start that process over with an anaconda. Holy smokes I must have had a lot of free time when I engineered that first one.

Tommy the Newt
Mar 25, 2017

Jabarto posted:

No worries. I've read a lot of your posts in this thread and they've been really good and helpful as I was learning the game.

Thanks. I'm a washed up has-been now who doesn't even know the yaw rate of Saud Kruger liners, what a joke.

If you want a place to sell your exploration data Diamond Frogs are still alive and I'm sure the active BGS crew would appreciate the boost.

Inspector Hound posted:

I have a diamondback I engineered forever ago, and I recently tried to start that process over with an anaconda. Holy smokes I must have had a lot of free time when I engineered that first one.

At least when you're engineering an exploration ship it's easy enough to get it where you need it to be, and you don't have so many optional internals to do. Combat engineering a big ship is like doing 3 smaller ships at once and you have to wait for transfers, the stuff of nightmares. Luckily if you run out of steam you'll know the Diamondback is still available and IMO looks the coolest of all the long jumpers.

LiterallyATomato
Mar 17, 2009

Haven't played in quite some time. I left off halfway through the trip to Colonia.

Has the game stability improved in the last year or so?

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Twitch drops are back if you want a bright red Conda or Ferdy.

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

How can we lose so much more than we had before

https://www.elitedangerous.com/update-notes/4-0-16-0

I expect nothing and I'm still let down

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Oh wow, RIP Michael Brookes. Didn't realised he had died.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

New rescue mission poo poo is wild. I don't want to spoil anything.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Did they actually make good content, for once?

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Just unexpected. I had never done anything related to thargoids when I last played this and with my space plant money I decided to buy a python and do rescues for rep and cash and just to do something with the war, for the previous few days it was just load with missions like "80 refugees to x station" and you might get hyperdicted on the jump into the system but that was no big deal.

This time it was parties of people with names and I got interdicted in supercruise 3 jumps away from the thargoid alert system in human controlled space by one of the new scythes. It rebooted my FSD and attached poo poo to my hull that sucked passengers out and abducted them, after 2 fsd reboots I finally escaped with 20% hull and quite a few less passengers. When I got to the rescue ship I got a bunch of sad messages about not everyone making it but thanks for trying my best. It made getting people out of a war zone a lot more harrowing and not just a plain old rep and money grind. Pretty cool IMO

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!
Just for any old players we have a war in Xihe against the chooks which is generating a bit of PvP.

War is at 1-1 so the fight is on.

Arae
Jul 27, 2003
I recently learned you can emote at your ship/SRV and it will react. Clap (applaud) and the lights will change. Wave to dismiss the ship.

I also recently learned there's a "copy name'" button on the far right of the system map. The system names in the black are ridiculously long sometimes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

The last time I played eddb was up still. The void called me back a few days ago so first thing I did was actually sit down and learn the in game trading tools and my already beloved past time of space trucker is even more fun now. I'm loving the immersion. Kinda wish I had done this ages ago. I might not play all the time but I keep up with GalNet to see how things are going in the verse

E: the Thargoids are getting way too close to Felicity :ohdear:

TheWorldsaStage fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Aug 25, 2023