Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Descent

Opopanax posted:

That first jumpscare/reveal with the camera is an all timer

And the Insidious one is always good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
It's old hat now but when I was a kid watching Child's Play I practically poo poo myself when Chucky first revealed himself to Andy's mom

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Skinamarink phone

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy
[Rec] - child in the vents as well as “it’s just tonsillitis”

The Ring- closet aftermath

Sinister- mowing the lawn

Smile- that one car scene swinging neck breaker

Evil Dead 2013- David’s about to leave the cabin.

Spiffster fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Jul 27, 2023

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Skinamarink phone

This stupid thing got me twice so sure lol

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

CelticPredator posted:

This stupid thing got me twice so sure lol

goated jump scare, modern horror icon.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I hated it but I’m very pro skinamarink

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer
It Follows--the tall man appears in the doorway

Mulholland Drive--the man behind the diner

The Thing--take your pick--the defibrillator or the blood test

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Crescent Wrench posted:

The Thing--take your pick--the defibrillator or the blood test

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

Uh, no! Blood!

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Justin Godscock posted:

Uh, no! Blood!

Never in my years of being a surgeon have i seen real blood!

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Horror Thread, ranking Halloween movies and jumpscares before p50

the first jumpscare i can remember loving was the Velociraptor trying to bite the kid in the vent in Jurassic Park.

also love the dream fakeout in American Werewolf in London, and the troll-under-the-bed sequence in Earnest Scared Stupid, jesus christ that was burned into my retinas.

one in Hereditary got me good, the car sound.

also one that has actually grown to creep me out more is the death of Dallas in Alien; the posture of the alien in the vent is loving horrific and the buildup to it is relentless.

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Shoutout to Dan Aykroyd asking if I wanna see something really scary and absolutely loving up my poo poo as a kid, top tier jump scare.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

CelticPredator posted:

Forever for me it’ll be the signs disturbing footage

Never been more scared in my fn life

"It's behind" is just behind the foot in the cornfield for me

E: also, "Mr Hammond, I think we're back in business"

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

PKMN Trainer Red posted:

Shoutout to Dan Aykroyd asking if I wanna see something really scary and absolutely loving up my poo poo as a kid, top tier jump scare.

Yeah. From The Twilight Zone movie. That one’s a keeper.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

alf_pogs posted:

the death of Dallas in Alien; the posture of the alien in the vent is loving horrific and the buildup to it is relentless.

I always get annoyed that freaked out Veronica Cartwright doesn’t tell him which way it’s coming from or which way to go.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

I like Rob Zombie's Halloween duology a lot. For context, I also really love F13 Part 5, so that's where my tastes are at.

Interesting, because I also love Ff13 5 but am indifferent to the Zombie Halloweens.

I don’t know if it counts as a jump scare but the Sleepaway Camp reveal really disturbed me for a while, not the actual reveal but the face/hissing noise.

Also any Pazuzu faces in the Exorcist. The smash cut in Exorcist 3 I used to have for an avatar.

(Halloween, Halloween 3, Halloween 2, Halloween 4, H40, Halloween 5 —- the rest of them aren’t worth taking the time to rank with the caveat I haven’t seen H20 in a long time.)

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

The body floating out of the boat in Jaws, the final scene of F13 Pt1, the closet in The Ring US, the lawnmower in Sinister, Leatherface's first appearance in TCM.

Love a good jumpscare.

Gyro Zeppeli fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Jul 28, 2023

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
End of F13 scared the hell out of me the first time. I was just in awe of Leatherface first appearance.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

TheBizzness posted:

(Halloween, Halloween 3, Halloween 2, Halloween 4, H40, Halloween 5 —- the rest of them aren’t worth taking the time to rank with the caveat I haven’t seen H20 in a long time.)

H20 hasn't really aged well because it's trying to ride the train that Scream started and doesn't do a very good job of it.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
The descent nightvision scare

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Guys I need to apologize, I am super-late to the party but MAD GOD might be the best movie of the year. This year, the year it came out, gently caress it - all years.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
its amazing

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

I didn’t even like it much beyond a technical appreciation and still bought it on blu ray.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Crescent Wrench posted:

Ihave a soft spot for 8, despite its limitations/flaws; 9 ("Jason Goes to Hell") to me is the absolute nadir of the series

I need you all to know, I was never a Ft13th fan, was strictly Nightmare on Elm Street back when Freddy vs Jason was as contentious a playground topic as Mario vs Sonic. Only ever saw the first one, then in a fit of pique I watched Jason Goes to Hell without watching the intervening 7 movies and knowing only that he's a zombie who kills camp counselors. Let me tell you, when I found out that Creighton Duke was not some monster hunter that's been hunting Jason for three movies but in fact a whole new addition, never mentioned before I was hooting and/or hollerin' something fierce.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Still playing catch up in the thread because it's been absolutely insane at work between Barbie, Oppenheimer, Insidious: The Red Door and Sound of Freedom. Lobby's been a mix of people in 1940s dress up and more vibrant pink than an explosion of a pallet of pepto bismol.

So far I'm interested in Haunted Mansion, but then again I liked the Eddie Murphy one. Talk to Me, I'm iffy but leaning towards giving it a go. The poster we've got up really isn't eyecatching, but the trailer was better and hopefully the dog'll be okay. Five Nights at Freddy's I'll give a go. I wasn't really liking the games, but I did find the lore intriguing. Exorcist, I'm not sure on. The poster looks lousy, and going from the trailer it kinda feels like they're just trying to draw on The Exorcist name. I'll see what more gets said about it before making a solid decision.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Shrecknet posted:

Guys I need to apologize, I am super-late to the party but MAD GOD might be the best movie of the year. This year, the year it came out, gently caress it - all years.

last twenty years at least

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Halloween
Halloween 3
Halloween 18
Halloween 4
Halloween 2
Halloween 5
Halloween 6
H20
Resurrection
Ends
Kills

Ends at least tried, even if I think it failed, Resurrection is at least entertainingly bad. Haven't seen the zombie flicks

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Zwabu posted:

What are the best or most iconic jump scares?

Jaws - Ben Gardener’s boat

Exorcist III - You Know The One

What else you got?

Prince of Darkness. You also know the one.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

The attic paint scene in the new Invisible Man got me pretty good

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

So Talk to Me is brilliant! It doesn't do much to break new ground, but it's just a really solid haunting movie. The lead, Sophie Wilde, especially is fantastic, I want to see her in loads more stuff. It also does my favourite potrayal of demons/spirits/etc, go the Evil Dead route and just have them be complete dicks to the humans. Just total pieces of poo poo.

And for those who were worried about the dog in the trailer: It survives, but there's another very graphic animal death scene.

Gyro Zeppeli fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Jul 28, 2023

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
What is the thread opinion of recently remade alleged cult classic LAST SHIFT

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Completely unnecessary imo. Not enough new or interesting is brought to the table to justify its existence when the other is right there.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
If I'm going to watch police station horror I'm gonna rewatch Let Us Prey, because I need more supernatural criminal killing that is actually revealed to be a romance :3 The Devil needs meet-cutes too, damnit!.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

weekly font posted:

Completely unnecessary imo. Not enough new or interesting is brought to the table to justify its existence when the other is right there.

Sorry, what is the feeling on the original, not the remake!

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012
Peter Bogdanovich's Targets isn't quite a spooky movie (though the first few murders of the villainous spree killer are chilling as are the early sections of the climactic drive in shootout) but drat if it isn't a great tribute to OG Frankenstein's monster Boris Karloff

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

General Battuta posted:

Sorry, what is the feeling on the original, not the remake!

Has a couple of well-done bits in it, but pretty bland and very predictable. Like I don’t mind a tried-and-true simple story, but you get everything you’d expect from the first five minutes only it takes 87 minutes to do it.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

Ambitious Spider posted:

Ends at least tried, even if I think it failed, Resurrection is at least entertainingly bad. Haven't seen the zombie flicks

Ends had a really good idea for a stand-alone Halloween film instead of being the conclusion to a trilogy.

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
stupid, stupid rat creatures

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

So Talk to Me is brilliant! It doesn't do much to break new ground, but it's just a really solid haunting movie. The lead, Sophie Wilde, especially is fantastic, I want to see her in loads more stuff. It also does my favourite potrayal of demons/spirits/etc, go the Evil Dead route and just have them be complete dicks to the humans. Just total pieces of poo poo.

And for those who were worried about the dog in the trailer: It survives, but there's another very graphic animal death scene.

looking forward to seeing this tomorrow

stupid, pointless question for discussion: does this qualify as "A24 horror" if A24 wasn't involved in its actual production (they acquired it completed out of Sundance this year). The Witch was a Sundance acquisition for them too, so I'd have to say yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer

FoneBone posted:

looking forward to seeing this tomorrow

stupid, pointless question for discussion: does this qualify as "A24 horror" if A24 wasn't involved in its actual production (they acquired it completed out of Sundance this year). The Witch was a Sundance acquisition for them too, so I'd have to say yes

I think it's fair to count it, they're still picking and choosing movies for distribution that they think fit in with their style, right?