Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Gaz-L posted:

*shudders* Respecting Walt Disney, disgusting...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Edward Mass posted:

I'll say this about Eisner - he appeared in the intros for the Wonderful World of Disney when he ran the company, and I'm sure Iger would never do that.

This is why I liked Eisner so much as a kid. This right here. He was the (kinda lame) nice man welcoming me to whatever cool movie I was about to watch. AND HE TALKED TO MICKEY!

Then I got a bit older and had friends who worked in the parks and I got over that.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

https://twitter.com/realgdt/status/1684670527145926656?s=46&t=8qKeRz1MPwpnqaU9WYBJgg

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
I'm not in the industry, but it's kind of insane that animation writers weren't already part of the Writer's Guild of America, right?

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

I don't see an actual "promise" in that article.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I'm not in the industry, but it's kind of insane that animation writers weren't already part of the Writer's Guild of America, right?
There's literally no good reason why they shouldn't have been from the start.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
There's all sorts of weird limitations like that in the Guild system, roles that should have been covered but leadership didn't want to fight for them or were considered not 'true craftsmen'. Like SAG not incorporating mo cap actors, which is biting them on the rear end with more and more actors doing their own mo cap and finding out since it's a SAG role it doesn't get SAG protection or benefits.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I had the same thought. So the writers room for the Simpsons was never WGA? Crazy

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

From the link above:

quote:

WGA is the dominant writers’ union and its contracts cover many high-profile (usually adult) animated shows like The Simpsons, Rick and Morty, and Family Guy.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Drunkboxer posted:

I had the same thought. So the writers room for the Simpsons was never WGA? Crazy

LividLiquid posted:

There's literally no good reason why they shouldn't have been from the start.

GUESS WHO STOPPED IT FROM HAPPENING LOLOLOL

If you guessed Walt Disney, you won!

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
didn’t disney sic the House of Un-American Activities Committee on his employees when they tried to unionize

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
The Defunctland on the post-Snow White wrap party is genuinely fascinating

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Oxxidation posted:

didn’t disney sic the House of Un-American Activities Committee on his employees when they tried to unionize
Among other things yes

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Gaz-L posted:

The Defunctland on the post-Snow White wrap party is genuinely fascinating

"Hey boss where's that bonus you promised us? It went to this resort weekend in loving Norco? Well at least it's open bar"

Hotel staff three hours later:
:tif:

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

DarklyDreaming posted:

"Hey boss where's that bonus you promised us? It went to this resort weekend in loving Norco? Well at least it's open bar"

Hotel staff three hours later:
:tif:

It has one of my favourite jokes Perjurer's put into one of his videos:

"Had the animators been accustomed to working in tandem with women, in theory there would've been less harassment.

This theory was soon disproven... every day for the past 80 years."

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

That man is so good at his job.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Timby posted:

If anyone wants to know about how Eisner just gradually became more and more unhinged, mercurial, sexist and insane as his Disney tenure went (he really ripped the mask off after Disney president Frank Wells died in 1994), then the book DisneyWar, by James B. Stewart, is essential reading.

Just finished reading my current book today so gonna grab this and start it this weekend. Thanks for the rec!

Argyle
Jun 7, 2001

Drunkboxer posted:

Simpsons writers were Animation Guild until 1998, so a lot of the “golden era” writers got poo poo residuals and (relatively) low pay.

IIRC, the other Fox animated shows of that era (Family Guy, The PJ’s, King of the Hill) all banded together to get WGA membership on the heels of the Simpsons. Not a wildcat strike or anything but Fox was faced with the prospect of losing its animated shows right at the time they were trying to turn themselves into an adult animation powerhouse.

It’s insane that the studios get to decide if their animated shows are WGA or not. I worked with a writer who was on F is for Family and apparently they were Animation Guild for their first season or two. Under animation guild, this writer was only getting paid like $1200 a week as a staff writer. WGA minimums are like $4k.

Meanwhile, Big Mouth was WGA from the start. It’s absolutely crazy that people doing the same work for the same type of show on the same streamer can be sorted into different unions — with drastically different pay scales — and it’s 100% at the discretion of their employer.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

https://twitter.com/maceahwindu/status/1685277949757431808?s=46&t=_t3R3O4inwGCyXxW88QslQ

It’s true, their headlines have been great.

edit: I mean, hell:

https://twitter.com/aflcio/status/1684203052671160322?s=46&t=_t3R3O4inwGCyXxW88QslQ

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Jul 30, 2023

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

AMC intervening to help increase profit margins on streaming services seems uh... Counterproductive to their economic self-interest.

Yeah I know, capital always unites against organized labor but movie studios and movie theaters have spent the past century in a "Mortal enemies inexplicably handcuffed to each other" kinda dynamic

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Theater chains are probably looking to get bought out by a studio since the laws against that are no more.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Because vertical integration worked so loving well the last time.

God dammit, I'm tired of this planet moving backwards.

xerxus
Apr 24, 2010
Grimey Drawer
gently caress this guy.
https://twitter.com/sagesurge/status/1686137453394993152?s=20

https://twitter.com/OneTakeNews/status/1686156785294426113

https://twitter.com/kfortrends/status/1686169613472530432?s=20

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
Amell has a long history of being an absolute shitbag on social media so I'm more surprised he had a moment of clarity and tried to delete the posts

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Oh seriously gently caress that guy

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

How!
Oct 29, 2009

What is a reductive negotiating tactic?

AHHHHA

AHAH
AHA

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

How! posted:

What is a reductive negotiating tactic?

Stephen Amell finds striking "shallow and pedantic"

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

What a huge loving rear end in a top hat :sigh:

Ninurta
Sep 19, 2007
What the HELL? That's my cutting board.

The season 2 promotional campaign for Hells is really weird.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Ninurta posted:

The season 2 promotional campaign for Hells is really weird.

Even if it was he's still not supposed to be doing it.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
The man never learned he should lifting up struggling actors, not salmon laddering off their backs.

Shrimpy
May 18, 2004

Sir, I'm going to need to see your ticket.
You can't be in a show about professional wrestling and advocate for unions.

Ironhead
Jan 19, 2005

Ironhead. Mmm.

Ear my entire dick you giant piece of poo poo that wants my career to tank. Captain gently caress Stick.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
dude's about to show what happens to a struck work's pr campaign if people actually continue promoting it, i'll give him that

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

DarklyDreaming posted:

Amell has a long history of being an absolute shitbag on social media so I'm more surprised he had a moment of clarity and tried to delete the posts

Wait, what? can anyone provide a summary?

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
I like Stephen Amell, he's just not very bright sometimes. But between this and Katie Cassidy coming out in support of RFK Jr., yeesh.

edit: I wonder if he is just mad because his show is on the bubble and thought he'd get to advertise it?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Mooseontheloose posted:

edit: I wonder if he is just mad because his show is on the bubble and thought he'd get to advertise it?
It is 1000% him being butthurt that he can't do promotion for Heels given his very stupid attempts to sidestep it by posting photos of the advertising with #blessed nothing statements.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Stick to salmon ladders, Amell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

I'm sure Amell is pissed he can't promote Heels, since it's definitely a passion project of his. It's also on loving Starz so I have to imagine it could be cancelled at any moment and he's doing everything he can to try and increase viewership and the strike is 100% going to gently caress with that.

But what a loving moron, he's just tanked a ton of good will and probably doomed the show anyway.