Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: sharknado slashfic)

DiscoWitch
Oct 16, 2009

uwu

Wheeee posted:

kirkpatrick is a shitweasel who can seemingly only communicate in duplicitous lawyerspeak

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

lmao get hosed Kirkpatrick.

I like how in the same paragraph that he says the committee has not requested updates from AARO he also says that AARO has briefed the committee since the last NDAA. He also says AARO has the authorities and resources necessary to investigate when we know for a fact they only have Title 10 and SAP stuff is Title 50. What a crock of poo poo.

Edit: Also Grusch has never claimed he worked for AARO, he worked for the precursor group. Kirkpatrick outright lies and says he claimed he worked for AARO in testimony. I hope they do that rule on Kirkpatrick to fire him.

SchrodingersCat
Aug 23, 2011
Leslie Keane has apparently confirmed that Col. Karl Nell is one of Grusch's witnesses. Worked for Lockheed-Martin and Northrop-Grumman.

I love this his name is literally Colonel Colonel.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Does the AARO have a law enforcement function? It doesn't seem like it from the legislation.

im_sorry
Jan 15, 2006

(9999)
Ultra Carp

D-Pad posted:

It at least implies there is a decent chance that there is other life out there that is DNA based which has not previously been taken as a given

So you're saying that the origin story of humanity as told in the liner notes of an early GWAR album whose name eludes me could actually be true?

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Aside from the criticism of AARO, Kirkpatrick is upset that Grusch (and Graves/Fravor by extension) haven't spoken with AARO re: the alleged harassment.

This lines up if Grusch suspects AARO of being compromised, he wouldn't want to give them details that they can then pass along to the MiBs* (shorthand for whoever's doing the intimidating) for them to clean up their tracks.

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

its true its true you never quite know where them mibs is at

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

SKULL.GIF posted:

Aside from the criticism of AARO, Kirkpatrick is upset that Grusch (and Graves/Fravor by extension) haven't spoken with AARO re: the alleged harassment.

This lines up if Grusch suspects AARO of being compromised, he wouldn't want to give them details that they can then pass along to the MiBs* (shorthand for whoever's doing the intimidating) for them to clean up their tracks.

iirc, it was suspected from day 1 that AARO was a catch and kill organization and I've not seen anything thus far to make me think otherwise

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

Gen. Jenna Rall when?

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

men in black three was soft disclosure of the fact that barak obama was a manchurian candidate baby raised by gus grissom

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

im_sorry posted:

So you're saying that the origin story of humanity as told in the liner notes of an early GWAR album whose name eludes me could actually be true?

Anything GWAR have ever told you is absolutely true. They were Disclosure before disclosure was a thing.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

balance of probability is that all of the UFO stories that have emerged since the 1940s are in fact mostly if not entirely true

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

Brain Curry posted:

Gen. Jenna Rall when?

Hello Colonial Kernel, I'm Major Indifference.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

bedpan posted:

balance of probability is that all of the UFO stories that have emerged since the 1940s are in fact mostly if not entirely true

BIGFOOTS TOO

Jersey Devil? Gonna put that fella in the 'probably' pile, personally

Springheel Jack was an op though. A Victorian op

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

moving all the vhs and DVD boxes for alien movies to the documentary section of the video store

mags
May 30, 2008

I am a congenital optimist.

bedpan posted:

sure is a lot of alien sex stuff on this list of ufo encounters and abductions

Aragosta
May 12, 2001

hiding in plain sight

Barry Foster posted:

Anything GWAR have ever told you is absolutely true. They were Disclosure before disclosure was a thing.

I witnessed GWAR perform an alien autopsy in Tempe, AZ in 1995 at the Electric Ballroom. Got soaked in all the sweet sweet alien juices. It was amazing. Former goon Lick Joe was beside me to also witness the event.

im_sorry
Jan 15, 2006

(9999)
Ultra Carp

Barry Foster posted:

Including "Now my hand grasps my throbbing root and shant unclasp. Go to the head of the class, as I madly stroke my flaccid shaft"?

About summarizes my reaction to all this disclosure, only without the flaccid part.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Aragosta posted:

I witnessed GWAR perform an alien autopsy in Tempe, AZ in 1995 at the Electric Ballroom. Got soaked in all the sweet sweet alien juices. It was amazing. Former goon Lick Joe was beside me to also witness the event.

You are blessed in a way few of us can boast. Personally I'm jealous of all the goons itt who have seen triangles, orbs, enormous cylinders (lol), and have been consecrated in GWAR's alien goop.

im_sorry posted:

Including "Now my hand grasps my throbbing root and shant unclasp. Go to the head of the class, as I madly stroke my flaccid shaft"?

About summarizes my reaction to all this disclosure, only without the flaccid part.

:hai:

mags posted:

sure is a lot of alien sex stuff on this list of ufo encounters and abductions

Sex has always been a potent element of encounters with the numinous

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Financial Times did an in-depth feature on UFOs and Grusch: https://www.ft.com/content/5235af64-9646-4c50-8d7c-93f7f04f7bb6

Goes through Grusch but also Fravor, Loeb, and Corbell. Surprisingly even-handed overall, especially about the Grusch hearing, but does still fall victim to the usual Anglocentric selection bias ("For now, without evidence, we are left to use logic. Why would UFO sightings be concentrated in the US?")

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

skooma512 posted:

I don't have recurring dreams but I do have recurring locations.

* My old high school, but with more floors than it has, entire buildings as one large classroom. The topology is otherwise surprisingly accurate given it's been 18 years and it's in a dream. Sometimes this is defined as a college instead.
* Driving along leafy sycamore grid suburbs endlessly
* Parking garages that also have more levels than they should.

Me too. Some of them make me pretty sad too, it's places stuck in time.

sharknado slashfic posted:

My recurring dream motifs are tornados, snakes (separately, not a snakenado), and my dead grandfather being there (alive) and my family acting like it's normal and me being the only one who remembered he died.
I have variations of this all time.

Pie in the Sky posted:

The first dream I can ever remember having was a nightmare I had when I was maybe 4. It was an apocalyptic cityscape and there was this mad scientist-type bad guy and he had a person strapped to a slanted gurney and he had their brain in a vat above their head. Everything was tinted green.
The first dream I remember is when I was five years old. It was black & white, or at least very gray. I couldn't actually read then, but it was a newspaper press and the only story they were printing was about me, and the headline was "Little Boy Doesn't Want to Grow Up".

Lokar
Mar 10, 2006

lot of doubt in the thread today

it’s real, and it’s weird

Fell Mood
Jul 2, 2022

A terrible Fell look!
Out of boredom I've decided to compile a list of possible explanations for UAP phenomenon. This can be done by breaking it down into broad categories, then into subcategories. Start from 2 points. A. The nature of the phenomenon, and B. The party responsible.

So for the nature of the thing, consider (real vs hoax) if real then (physical vs psychic), if physical then (hologram lasers vs real craft)

For the party responsible, (Human vs non human) if human then (our reality vs alternate reality vs time traveler) if non human then (terrestrial vs alien) if alien then ( physical universe vs other dimension) if other dimension then ( higher reality vs alternate reality).

For the sake of brevity, when categories overlap, only the most important will be counted. For example, it's possible it's a hoax being put on by the government using disinformation. That goes on the list. It's also possible it's a hoax being put on by aliens from another planet, who got here in wormholes and are tricking us into thinking they have space ships. That goes into the physical aliens category instead of the hoax category otherwise we'll be here all day.

1. UAP isn't real at all. It's a hoax created by humans using a disinformation campaign in order to (A. Experiment on means of manipulating people and study how ideas propagate thru society. (B. Provide a distraction to a disgruntled populace, and (C. Provide cover for off the books military projects and budgets, for example home grown antigravity or next gen fighters. Note that this wouldn't be orbs or saucers, but rather providing cover for the testing of conventional next gen fighters.

2. UAP isn't real in the sense that it's actually physically created holograms and radar spoofing. Besides A, B, C, from above, also add (D. The US/Russia/China has figured out how to use lasers to project holograms from a great distance away, as well as a method to spoof radar. As a weapon of war, we can make human pilots and electronic sensors see things the aren't there, as well as demoralizing the enemy by making them think you have advanced tech. This could be China stunting on us or a branch of the US military testing it's toys on the other branches.

3. UAP is real, and it's physical ships with advanced technology. Here you have (A. The US has nativly created and is testing flying saucers. (B. An adversary like China has created flying sausers. (C. A third human group like antarctic nazis has created flying saucers (D. Unknown underwater or hollow earth civilization has created flying saucers. (E. Aliens exist on other planets in this universe and have ships that can get here via faster than light travel or wormhole generation, (F. The ships were created by time traveling humans from this earth, with the "aliens" being either future humans or organic robots created by future humans, and (G. Humans or aliens from a parallel reality can create tears and travel to this reality. This has some overlap with (F. Time travel.

4. UAP is real, but is a psychic phenomenon induced in the human brain. Here you have (A. The collective unconscious is real, or some natural phenomenon like naturally occurring radio waves causes hallucinations or altered states in certain people, and the unexplained phenomenon going back centuries from faries to UAP to machine elves to near death experiences are the result of this.
(B. Parallel realitys exist, but can't directly cross over or interact with our reality. Whatever probes they are sending thru or whatever tears are being created between realities has a profound effect on human brains. Or psychic phenomenon is real, and they can only travel here and interact in a psychic plane. If other realities exist, you might think of the multiverse as floors in a tower. The staircase between floors is the common psychic or mental plane that can be accessed from any level. For some reason human brains interpret these contacts as physical events observed by thier own senses.
(C. Higher realities exist. UAP are literally angels or demons as interpreted by the fragile human mind.

I think later I'll create an excel table and post it.

Fell Mood has issued a correction as of 19:34 on Jul 28, 2023

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

there are aliens from our own dimension and entities from other higher dimensions

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

pretty sure there is an intentional loophole regarding interdimensional aliens since those neither fly or are aerial. UFOs? Nope these ones don't fly. Aerial? Nope, they are not in the air.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

cynicism is often a rational position to take when it comes to stuff relating to large institutions and particularly governments. but you have to be very careful to not let cynicism, rather than rationality, be the guiding focus of your perspective on things like this. if you stay wedded to cynicism in the face of reasons to think something is genuine, even if it's very wild in its implications, then you're on the path to being the nerd in zombie movies that says "zombies? preposterous! i'm going for my morning constitutional!" and then he walks outside and gets his face eaten. you have to evaluate evidence and then make a decision about what you think, not arrive at a position beforehand. often the evidence is going to be overwhelmingly one way or another and it's easy to make snap judgments that are correct in those cases but it's dumb to get into the habit of making snap judgments.

not directed at anyone itt, just seems like outside of this thread that's how people are approaching the hearing and grusch more broadly - falling back into habits of thought that are at least somewhat reliable when you're dealing with everyday political bullshit but which fall apart instantly when applied to something more complex

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Mr. Barnesworth posted:

Cryptonaut podcast did an episode on this as well. All Colors Sam is really unsettling for some reason, strikes me as some gooney fae that got booted from Magonia on a sixer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LigVczm6mZs

All colours Sam has big chains of the sea energy

Lokar
Mar 10, 2006

bedpan posted:

there are aliens from our own dimension and entities from other higher dimensions

yeah it’s a big party and they keep trying to wave to us

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

SKULL.GIF posted:

Wasn't he requesting more funding and more clearance from Gillibrand at that AARO/Senate hearing a while ago? Did he get it yet?

Additional AARO funding is in the defense bill currently wrapping up in Congress.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I still won't expect much until September (when Congress reconvenes), the next few weeks won't be exciting.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Jazerus posted:

cynicism is often a rational position to take when it comes to stuff relating to large institutions and particularly governments. but you have to be very careful to not let cynicism, rather than rationality, be the guiding focus of your perspective on things like this. if you stay wedded to cynicism in the face of reasons to think something is genuine, even if it's very wild in its implications, then you're on the path to being the nerd in zombie movies that says "zombies? preposterous! i'm going for my morning constitutional!" and then he walks outside and gets his face eaten. you have to evaluate evidence and then make a decision about what you think, not arrive at a position beforehand. often the evidence is going to be overwhelmingly one way or another and it's easy to make snap judgments that are correct in those cases but it's dumb to get into the habit of making snap judgments.

not directed at anyone itt, just seems like outside of this thread that's how people are approaching the hearing and grusch more broadly - falling back into habits of thought that are at least somewhat reliable when you're dealing with everyday political bullshit but which fall apart instantly when applied to something more complex

This is well-said and sums up my own position nicely.

Learning to be comfortable residing in the uncertainty of the middle, and willing to entertain ideas and evidence without immediately jumping to a capital B belief (and then clinging tightly to it) is really really hard, for goons especially I think (I include myself in this).

I think a lot of the world want to be comfortable, and otherwise don't give a poo poo and will ignore anything that threatens that. I think goons (and liberals) tend to want to be Right, and will do almost anything to defend their status of Rightness

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I have absolutely no fear of being wrong

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Jazerus posted:

It feels a lot like Covid, right down to the numerous bad faith opinions articles (of all political stripes, aimed in all directions). It's a big, complicated, and almost invisible issue that relies on changing your worldview to some extent. It's going to come with a lot of inbuilt bias, and also a lot of interest groups are going to jump in and use any news to push their own hobby horse (and for this, look at all the nut job UFO hoaxers that are crawling out of the woodwork saying "SEEE? I WAS RIGHT!!!")

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

Jazerus posted:

Agreed, don’t let your overwhelming desire for aliens to be real mislead you into believing one random meathead.

Honky Mao
Dec 26, 2012

It's real

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Barry Foster posted:

You are blessed in a way few of us can boast. Personally I'm jealous of all the goons itt who have seen triangles, orbs, enormous cylinders (lol), and have been consecrated in GWAR's alien goop.

:hai:

Sex has always been a potent element of encounters with the numinous

People want to gently caress aliens. Even if it was a weird worm they'd want to gently caress it. They got people out there man

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

porfiria posted:

Agreed, don’t let your overwhelming desire for aliens to be real mislead you into believing one random meathead.

lmao

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

It should get more exciting if we actually start seeing more corroborating witnesses come forward.

im_sorry
Jan 15, 2006

(9999)
Ultra Carp

SKULL.GIF posted:

I have absolutely no fear of being wrong

It's not bad to be wrong. Even when you're wrong, it's interesting to find out just how wrong you actually were.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BoothBaberGinsburg
Jan 4, 2021

im_sorry posted:

It's not bad to be wrong. Even when you're wrong, it's interesting to find out just how wrong you actually were.

:yeah: