Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Made the move to Fastmail w/ my own email domain name. A+ experience with the app and website on all my devices.

I’m really surprised by how good it is at pulling in emails from my Outlook and Gmail accounts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Tiny Timbs posted:

Made the move to Fastmail w/ my own email domain name. A+ experience with the app and website on all my devices.

I’m really surprised by how good it is at pulling in emails from my Outlook and Gmail accounts

Same, I really like the labelling and how you can set up certain labels to auto delete after a time period. Works great for flyers etc!

This makes me realize I should add a label for stuff still addressed to my gmail account to change emails.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
Folders > Labels

It's cool that Fastmail let's you choose either though

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Red rope folders with labels = top boss

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.

Skeezy posted:

Obsidian is for nerds.

I say that respectfully.

Speaking of obsidian, I'm trying to set it up on multiple devices without paying for their sync.

The lack of access to the file system is hurting me coming from android.

Is there a way to link two folders together so I can point the obsidian directory at the dropbox folder that will be syncing those files?

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Demon_Corsair posted:

Speaking of obsidian, I'm trying to set it up on multiple devices without paying for their sync.

Is there a way to link two folders together so I can point the obsidian directory at the dropbox folder that will be syncing those files?

I keep my vaults on iCloud, but it required making them on iOS then adding them on desktop. Idk if that still needs to be danced through

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Warbird posted:

I like the idea of safari’s reader mode feature but don’t particularly care for using safari for reasons unknown. Is there an app that has similar functionality that’s decent? Is that just instapaper? Doesn’t have to be a “read it later” type thing or a service, just opening the URL and showing the page is plenty.

What mobile browser are you using? I've tried them all, and find Safari the most user friendly, even though I don't prefer Safari on desktop.

Maybe one day Google will update their ~design language~ to make apps like Chrome and Maps more user friendly on mobile devices and put the address/search bar near the bottom of the app.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Corb3t posted:

Maybe one day Google will update their ~design language~ to make apps like Chrome and Maps more user friendly on mobile devices and put the address/search bar near the bottom of the app.

Actually, I'd like to correct you on this point - the address/search bar near the top of the app is more user friendly, which is why Safari had it there until recently.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Corb3t posted:

What mobile browser are you using? I've tried them all, and find Safari the most user friendly, even though I don't prefer Safari on desktop.

DDG is pretty solid on iOS. I haven't moved over completely, but it's earned a spot on my phone alongside Safari.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Grassy Knowles posted:

I keep my vaults on iCloud, but it required making them on iOS then adding them on desktop. Idk if that still needs to be danced through

Is icloud usable on Android and windows?

Dayton Sports Bar
Oct 31, 2019

Demon_Corsair posted:

There’s a 3rd party SyncThing port on iOS that can sync to sandboxed app folders. If you want to link two local folders together, Working Copy can do it but it’s pricey and rather fiddly for that purpose in my experience.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Demon_Corsair posted:

Uncertain on Android , yes to windows

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Demon_Corsair posted:

Windows has a pretty good client for file sync with iCloud, and the website is halfway decent for the rest. Android seems to have an app or two for that purpose, but I can’t speak with any authority on that aspect.

onionradish
Jul 6, 2006

That's spicy.

Demon_Corsair posted:

The "Remotely Save" community plugin does exactly this.

The Windows iCloud sync doesn't work well for Obsidian and is not recommended when the topic comes up in the community. It will seem fine, but it will create duplicate files and zero-length files. Got burned myself before using the plugin above, but luckily was using the built-in "File Recovery" plugin and was able to recover.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yeah can confirm that. I’m using windows iCloud daily. It works pretty well.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The icloud website is pretty slick these days but it has the major flaw of forgetting who you are every week. I'm fine with 2FA and being secure but if I say 'trust this computer' it should persist for a year. It makes the service feel like it's punishing me for not using an official apple device to access my data.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

xzzy posted:

The icloud website is pretty slick these days but it has the major flaw of forgetting who you are every week. I'm fine with 2FA and being secure but if I say 'trust this computer' it should persist for a year. It makes the service feel like it's punishing me for not using an official apple device to access my data.

I don’t mess with the website but the windows client on my PC has been ticking along happily for something like 8 months without asking for another login

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

mawarannahr posted:

Actually, I'd like to correct you on this point - the address/search bar near the top of the app is more user friendly, which is why Safari had it there until recently.

With mobile devices, apps should be designed with the most used UI elements within the confines of a user's thumb - users shouldn't have to reach for such an essential user flow like searching within an app. This is especially important as mobile device screens get bigger and bigger. Apple was correct in moving the search to the bottom of the screen, but at least they placated older users who hate change by allowing them to change it back within the Settings.

Google's material design guidelines are horrible at not taking a user's thumb into consideration and it really shows when an app is designed for Android and ported over to iOS so users have a "universal experience" (See: iOS's bottom navbar vs Material's hamburger menu).

Can you guess which OS's design guidelines heavily encourage placing the most important element's within a user's thumb zone? iOS's :cool:

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Jul 27, 2023

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
The iCloud website looks slick but is super half baked. I can mark reminders as complete and make new ones, but can’t add/edit what time the reminders should go off at. Or I can browse my photos, but can’t use any smart search stuff to look up “dogs” or whatever.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

I’m half ready to go off down the rabbit hole of Linux iCloud syncing in a Docker container to get Osidian playing nice on mobile but hopefully the syncthing plays nice and saves me the trouble. Outside of mobile just tossing it onto a network drive is laughably easy.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

I like the address bar at the bottom in safari and I'm glad apple shamelessly stole it from windows 8/metro internet explorer after its corpse had been cold for a few years

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Address bar at the bottom is more accessible to those with finger mobility issues.

DeusIgnis
Jan 17, 2010

Re: task managers, I’ve settled with Todoist. The whole Karma thing has me in a tight grip. Maybe when I hit Enlightened I’ll switch to just Reminders.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

You’ll go through the cycle again in a few years.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
Having poo poo at the bottom is definitely better. I was a huge windows phone 8/8.1 fan for the two whole years it lasted before Microsoft managed to completely gently caress themselves with their own dick; and iOS definitely did some borrowing for the better. Now if only somebody could make the iOS keyboard as good as the one Windows phone had and I’d be content.

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

The Lord Bude posted:

Having poo poo at the bottom is definitely better. I was a huge windows phone 8/8.1 fan for the two whole years it lasted before Microsoft managed to completely gently caress themselves with their own dick; and iOS definitely did some borrowing for the better. Now if only somebody could make the iOS keyboard as good as the one Windows phone had and I’d be content.

Microsoft Swiftkey exists for iOS (though it almost got shelved). Granted every 3rd party keyboard on iOS feels like a second class citizen, but what else is new

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Warbird posted:

I’m half ready to go off down the rabbit hole of Linux iCloud syncing in a Docker container to get Osidian playing nice on mobile but hopefully the syncthing plays nice and saves me the trouble. Outside of mobile just tossing it onto a network drive is laughably easy.

Got any links to start this rabbit hole?

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Demon_Corsair posted:

Got any links to start this rabbit hole?

It’s mostly googling at this point but after further research at seems the most viable way is to use git. That doesn’t bother me as I use git anyway but something more automatic would be nice. I haven’t had a chance to look into it at length yet. I was hoping that rclone worked with iCloud but it apparently doesn’t. If it did the whole matter would be trivial.

Queer Grenadier
Jun 14, 2023

THIS GUY HAS A POOPY BOOM BOOM

HE NOT WARSHING HE HOLES LOL
OK. I bought Things3, and I am honestly sold. The simple keyboard shortcuts, UI and experience is fantastic. I drank the Flavor Aid, but I'm enlightened! And also having a hard time breathing... Anyone else feel hot?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Queer Grenadier posted:

OK. I bought Things3, and I am honestly sold. The simple keyboard shortcuts, UI and experience is fantastic. I drank the Flavor Aid, but I'm enlightened! And also having a hard time breathing... Anyone else feel hot?

Drink water, apply a cold cloth to your forehead, and rest in a cool, dark place. Heatstroke is a big worry right now.

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!
I'm looking for a clock app that supports customizable snooze timers for each alarm, and can run multiple timers at once. Google results are overwhelmed with "just set multiple alarms lol" and "pay $7.49/month for Alarmy", but surely there are less insane options, right?

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Thoom posted:

"pay $7.49/month for Alarmy"

I am going to choose to believe that this is a joke about how loving dismal the app store is today because it is absolutely perfect

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!
I wish I was joking.

https://www.businessinsider.com/guides/tech/how-to-change-snooze-time-on-iphone

quote:

If setting multiple alarms seems like too much trouble, you could turn to an app from the App Store.

One such app is Alarmy, which, on top of allowing you to customize your snooze time, features really loud and randomized alarm sounds to wake you up from deep slumber. The app is free to download, but if you want to unlock all its features, it will cost you $7.49 a month.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

I never use snooze

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
"Discovery Station" on Apple Music is pretty great! It will be interesting to see how my recommendations improve over time.

zhar
May 3, 2019

Is there a recommended translation app or is the builtin translate generally sufficient? It's for someone travelling to Chile.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

zhar posted:

Is there a recommended translation app or is the builtin translate generally sufficient? It's for someone travelling to Chile.

I just use google translate.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

MarcusSA posted:

I just use google translate.

Same here, it’s a lot more feature-rich than built-in (and way more languages, most importantly for me Swedish)

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

zhar posted:

The conversation and offline stuff has been very useful for me in the past, and it used to be way better in the stock translate imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warbird
May 23, 2012

I also voice for Google Translate. It has offline support and has worked well for me in my occasional jaunt over to mainland China.