Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Lol they all think they're Michael Wittman

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

KomradeX posted:

Germans working over time to deal with all those videos of destroyed or abandoned Leopard 2s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VGzRfvgnS_s

what happens to the beer when the tank stops tho

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

how ironic

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
typical US exceptionalism, becoming a colony of itself

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Regarde Aduck posted:

typical US exceptionalism, becoming a colony of itself

cybernetics ftw

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

I should stop reading this thread before going to bed.

I dreamt I was driving around in a tank.

you were driving around in a toyota land cruiser? doesnt sound like much of a dream tbh

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

Cerebral Bore posted:

coming for dat ukrass

VoicesCanBe
Jul 1, 2023

"Cóż, wygląda na to, że zostaliśmy łaskawie oszczędzeni trudu decydowania o własnym losie. Jakże uprzejme z ich strony, że przearanżowali Europę bez kłopotu naszego zdania!"

KomradeX posted:

Lol they all think they're Michael Wittman

I'm gonna be honest, in a hypothetical matchup of the US military vs the AFU with the current backing they're getting from NATO, the US military would probably get its rear end kicked.

I know that's a silly and unrealistic scenario but it's impossible to shake the idea that the US military is entirely unprepared for a long term conflict with a near-peer adversary.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Sighing as I unsheathe my backhand blow

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

We had six separate anti-Muslim protests and Qur'an burnings in Copenhagen today, all protected by cops.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-66306150

quote:

Latest unconfirmed reports from the US suggest the main thrust of the counter-offensive has begun. The Institute for the Study of War says Ukrainian forces appear to have broken through "certain pre-prepared Russian defensive positions".

But so far there's little evidence that Western supplied tanks and armoured vehicles have been able to tip the balance decisively in Ukraine's favour.

Several Leopard tanks and US Bradley fighting vehicles were damaged or destroyed in the first days of the offensive, near the city of Orikhiv.

Ukraine's 47th Brigade, which had largely been trained and equipped by the West to try to break through Russian lines, were soon stopped in their tracks by mines and then targeted by artillery.

Russia released multiple videos of the incident claiming Ukraine's offensive had already failed. In reality it was an early setback rather than a decisive blow.

:byetankie:

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2023/07/28/ukrainians-are-breaking-their-ties-with-russian-language/

quote:

In cities across Ukraine, people started bringing their Russian literature to local recycling stations to be shredded and converted into toilet paper. Street names have been changed to honor Ukrainian heroes instead of Russian writers. Russian dishes, like pelmeni dumplings, have been relabeled on restaurant menus. Radio stations stopped playing songs by Russian artists, long popular in Ukraine.

“For many people, it has become impossible to speak Russian because it is the language of the enemy,” said Iryna Pobidash, an associate professor of linguistics at Kyiv’s Igor Sikorsky Polytechnic Institute. “Russian is now a marker of everything that has happened: a marker of pain and tragedy.”

“Language is not only about communication, but also about positioning oneself. It’s my ‘who am I?’” Pobidash added.

Ukrainian author Andrey Kurkov, who writes novels only in Russian, said that after the invasion, he felt “in pain” when writing because he was so ashamed of Russia.“I understood that Russia was destroying itself and destroying Russian language culture worldwide,” he said.
The future 0f Russian language in Ukraine is a daunting question for the roughly 30 percent of Ukrainians who speak it as their first language.

After last year’s invasion, the flood of Russian-speaking refugees to western Ukraine caused tensions, with suspicious landlords refusing to rent apartments to them. In June, Ukraine’s parliament adopted a divisive bill banning the import of literature from Russia and Belarus. President Volodymyr Zelensky refused to sign it, saying it violated European Union rules on minority rights. The same month, Zelensky proposed making English Ukraine’s second official language. [ed note: lmao]

Alisa Sopova, a Russian-speaking anthropologist at Princeton University who is from Donetsk and often works in Donbas, said Ukraine’s long-standing, “multilayered” problem with Russian speakers is “kind of the elephant in the room.” Many Russian speakers are afraid to voice their concerns, she said.

“The public discourse is so narrow now that the only accepted way of talking about this problem is to say that I hate Russian because it’s the language of aggressor,” she said. “Russian speakers do not feel they have the right to demand to speak their language because the problem has been warped and discredited by Russia.”

There's no fascism in Ukraine though

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

any post can be a kannapost
if you want it to be

SplitSoul posted:

We had six separate anti-Muslim protests and Qur'an burnings in Copenhagen today, all protected by cops.

denmark couldnt let sweden threaten their reputation as the most racist scandianavians

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

VoicesCanBe posted:

I'm gonna be honest, in a hypothetical matchup of the US military vs the AFU with the current backing they're getting from NATO, the US military would probably get its rear end kicked.

I know that's a silly and unrealistic scenario but it's impossible to shake the idea that the US military is entirely unprepared for a long term conflict with a near-peer adversary.

Inthink the fact that wlour backstocks are dangerously low despite not being in the fighting I think is more of a hint that we are only prepared to fight colonial adventures and not a nesr peer, or that well the plan in a near or peer war is just nukes

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
well you see first they would establish air superiority

DiscountDildos
Nov 8, 2017

I'm pretty dumb about that part of the world but it's this sort of poo poo that confuses me about the unyielding drive to take back the parts of Donbas that Russia's in control of. Ok, you take them back and uhhhh... then what... like wtf happens after that?

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

DiscountDildos posted:

I'm pretty dumb about that part of the world but it's this sort of poo poo that confuses me about the unyielding drive to take back the parts of Donbas that Russia's in control of. Ok, you take them back and uhhhh... then what... like wtf happens after that?

Sparkling ethnic cleansing

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

DiscountDildos posted:

the unspoken implication is that they're going to kill or displace everyone

they've also been hinting this is what's going to happen in Crimea as well.

The west is either going to not report it or they'll report the deaths as 'collaborators' which libs confuse, either through malice or idiocy, with some kind of commando instead of 'someone that teaches Russian in a school'

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Seriously though it'll be at the absolute best case like a Troubles type situation for generations where there's no outright genocidal policy but the ethnic majority in government brutally oppresses the minority resulting in some way cool insurgent bombings followed by reprisals followed by bombings. Worst case the Donbas becomes the West Bank 2.0 and they start doing internal colonization.

celadon
Jan 2, 2023

The Oldest Man posted:

Sparkling ethnic cleansing

like even assuming 100% peaceful and voluntary, people all clapping eachother on the backs and laughing as apartment keys are handed over, crimea is like 70% russian and its 1.5M people youd have to swap out. that seems difficult to pull off logistically in terms of keeping all the plates spinning, economy-wise

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

celadon posted:

like even assuming 100% peaceful and voluntary, people all clapping eachother on the backs and laughing as apartment keys are handed over, crimea is like 70% russian and its 1.5M people youd have to swap out. that seems difficult to pull off logistically in terms of keeping all the plates spinning, economy-wise

You don't do it all at once. You do what Israel does, start building walls and checkpoints, make conditions intolerable, create concentration zones, start giving your preferred people the defacto right to just take over whatever property they want, etc. and unleash the army against the target population if they get uppity. It'll take decades.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

gradenko_2000 posted:

Bad news for Russia: they will almost certainly draw global condemnation for establishing a new imperial colony in Africa!

https://twitter.com/d_foubert/status/1684437856847011841

Prigozhin was at the African summit this week. So much for that "coup". Lol

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2023/7/28/russias-wagner-boss-appears-to-hail-niger-coup-tout-services

celadon
Jan 2, 2023

The Oldest Man posted:

You don't do it all at once. You do what Israel does, start building walls and checkpoints, make conditions intolerable, create concentration zones, start giving your preferred people the defacto right to just take over whatever property they want, etc. and unleash the army against the target population if they get uppity. It'll take decades.

presumably in this scenario russia has been exploded into a dozen different rump states, yeah?

otherwise my assumption is that the support russia could provide russians in crimea is greater than the support being provided to palestine by its allies, and the support that ukraine would be receiving from the west would be far more conditional and subject to reduction/withdrawal than the support currently being extended to israel, given the current divisions w/r/t supporting ukraine among american politicians vs the essentially unilateral full support of israel since forever

and both those things together would lessen the effectiveness of a long term grinding strategy

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Megamissen posted:

denmark couldnt let sweden threaten their reputation as the most racist scandianavians

yep. that's why we're the preeminent nordic race

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

saying there is more than one is really splitting hairs

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

euphronius posted:

saying there is more than one is really splitting hairs

you sound like an estonian

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

He is just waiting to strike

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

it’s like when Octavian sent Lepidus to Africa to chill

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

If I were that guy I’d consider regifting that helicopter.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

what piece of furniture is each ikea race?

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

AnimeIsTrash posted:

what piece of furniture is each ikea race?

we're the dombas people's republic

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
maybe poland should join the eurozone and let france and germany control their financial system if theyre so worried about europe losing influence in africa. if youre so worried about france losing influence why not give them some?

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Some Guy TT posted:

you were driving around in a toyota land cruiser? doesnt sound like much of a dream tbh

Embrace moderate structure radicalism. A tank is an armoured and armed ground combat vehicle. So only some Landcruisers qualify.

Regarde Aduck posted:

the unspoken implication is that they're going to kill or displace everyone

they've also been hinting this is what's going to happen in Crimea as well.

Kyrylo Budanov, head of the GUR, explicitly stated they would genocide Crimea.

Zodium posted:

you sound like an estonian

Isn't that more like 'there are two nordic races, scandanavians and estonians'?

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

January 6 Survivor posted:

I will never attempt to pixel art again, sorry everyone

(I still like how the 152mm main gun flops around like a fat hog)

Oh also this rules

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

January 6 Survivor posted:

I will never attempt to pixel art again, sorry everyone

(I still like how the 152mm main gun flops around like a fat hog)

That is a well hung kv2 and puts across the character of it perfectly

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

youtube recommended me this clip from Madam Secretary:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDT4nzTrTsk

this plot thread, of the Russians having launched a full nuclear strike on the United States under no prior warning is not new, but what bothered me was at around 1:20 on the video:

- "nuclear winter is only a theory"
- it's the American president's constitutional obligation to end the world

wtf theres a six season prime time television shows that just a hilary clinton fanfic

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

thats how the orcs fight for the ukrainians to also fight in such a way is very dishonorable

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Officer Sandvich posted:

The general question of who is winning is Ukraine. They are extremely unlikely to lose self governance and become a client state of Russia. They have had major victories at Kyiv, Kherson, and Kharkiv. That said, the war is still being inflicted and fought on their country, to great loss of lives and resources. Cities are being leveled and Russia is stealing everything it can. Grain, oil, washing machines, children.

Oryx and Ukraine reports of Russian casualties (wounded and killed) seems to be in the right ballpark. And the general consensus is that Ukraine is losing less people than Russia. Of course, Russian leadership cares less about its people than most other countries. But there are consistent signs Russia is having trouble putting bodies on the front lines. They are always scrounging up more troops, and there are big hints that they lack reserves. Not being able to rotate and rest troops, not being able to add recruits to damaged units, and not being able to rush fresh soldiers to enemy breakthroughs are all huge problems.

That said... Russia largely just has to keep holding on to 'win'. Nobody really wins a war. It's a stupid sick waste and a horror. They failed at their initial goal , but still have a lot of Ukraine territory the elites consider important. Staying defensive plays to Russian strengths. The West can't supply Ukraine forever. It's almost certainly not a good idea for Ukraine to surrender places like Crimea, especially since Russia has a tendency to take parts of other countries and keep them as long as possible. There is a coalition against Russia currently, even if the support of Ukraine could have been faster and more effective. But politics can and do change.

So my money is on Ukraine. Russia has proven unable to make significant advances, while Ukraine has the bulk of the victories. The momentum and control of the battlefield, the logistics and morale all point to Ukraine. I just hope they can win the war instead of winning most of the battles but still losing the overall war.

But if that is true, shouldn't we see some breakdown of the Russian line? Also, if Russia is indeed losing men at a higher rate than Ukraine, what kills them? I've linked a paper somewhere here that gives a figure of 70% artillery casualties for Ukraine. What would that be on the Russian side? What's outperforming conventional artillery here?

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

The Russians are just spontaneously exploding in the field from slava overloads

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

BULBASAUR posted:

I was talking to my Mongolian friend and according to him, business is booming as Russians go there to avoid sanctions and products are imported and then shipped to Russia with a markup