Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Lots of people gonna be doing The Iron Wonka this Christmas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Sandman McMahon posted:

Uhhh so what’s the story here

My memory is poo poo but the basics are that Mike Levy was a very poor backyard deathmatch kind of guy from the Carolinas. I don't think anyone really knew who his name until this happened, but for whatever reason (probably shittalking on the internet? It was 2008 so probably. I think he was desperate for a chance on a real show?) he got added to the IWAMS Queen of the Deathmatch Tournament, y'know, because he's a guy haha, & he got put in there against Mickie Knuckles. Mickie was maybe told to teach the backyarder a lesson & work extremely stiff, or she was working normally stiff for Mickie Knuckles which is still very stiff & Levy stopped selling because he didn't really know how to react to getting hit so hard, & this pisses off Knuckles & she beats Levy up more. And then after the match Tank & Devon Moore (who were both on the King of the Death Match card IWA were doing the same day) came out & started beating up Levy while possibly yelling at him to learn to sell, & Ian came out & joined it & some others including Ian's lovely little son. Proper assault stuff.

And then afterwards someone reported the whole thing to the local police in whatever podunk Indiana town they hadn't been chased out of yet & everyone including Levy insisted it was all just part of the show. The police weren't convinced but couldn't do much. After doing that Levy miraculously got promised to be booked by IWAMS again, which he agreed to because he was a mark. And of course Ian welched on whatever agreement & he never wrestled for them again.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Hedgehog Pie posted:

This is purely from what I've read here and elsewhere so anyone is free to correct me: some lad on Myspace begged IWAMS for a match. They put him up against a woman because that's funny and he's a loser, but it turns out this guy doesn't actually know the basics of wrestling, so he ends up hurting her just before she's due to make a TV appearance for TNA. They then decide to punish the guy in some really gross ways that are clearly meant to legitimately hurt him while everyone cheers. The younger lad smacking him with the cane is, I believe, the promoter's son. The promoter (Ian Rotten?) is the man hitting him with the BARBED WIRE CRUTCH.

Like I said, I know this is sort of thing isn't representative of the likes of CZW and IWAMS, but it's always the first thing I think of.

From what I remember, and we're talking what, a decade and a half ago?

The dude getting destroyed is "White Lion" Mike Levy, a backyarder at best, who would beg to be put on shows doing deathmatches, and for the most part everyone ignored him. Until Ian Rotten, IWA-MS owner, decided he had enough and booked Levy for the Queen of the Deathmatches tournament, because mid-2000s indy wrestling wasn't the hotbed of social consciousness.

Levy faced Mickie Knuckles, a legitimately good wrestler that Ian had trained (for all his many, many flaws, Ian could actually work a straight match. Someone on the old DVDVR board once described IWA-MS as "Battlearts on crystal meth" and drat if that wasn't accurate) and who was getting a shot on TNA with the ever so charming name of Moose Knuckles. If you don't know what that means I'm not explaining it go look it up.

So now you have a backyard guy with little to no actual clue what he's doing in the ring against someone who has a clue but now has an axe to grind on behalf of the meathead owner, and poo poo quickly goes south. Levy gets concussed at some point, meaning he goes into negative awareness, and after what's barely a work Mickie wins, and then we get to what the linked video showed. Devon Moore and Tank commit what's at least aggravated assault and maybe attempted murder, Ian and his son John Calvin commit assault as well, Rollin' Hard and Mad Man Pondo kinda get in on the action but their hearts aren't really in it.

Mickie had a short run in TNA that came to an abrupt halt when she was facing Sara Del Ray in a match, tried a dive off a stage, and had a horrifc leg break. Ian tried to block the footage of the break from being officially released but it eventually made it's way to tape (probably because Ian knew it'd raise tape sales let's be honest). Mickie's career was never the same and I have no clue what she's doing these days; she's someone who probably doesn't get enough recognition in women's wrestling as Ian booked her very well and brought in talent for her to face, but she ended up wanting to do deathmatches and the TNA run would have been the high point of her career given the landscape of women's wrestling in that era.

As for Levy, police did investigate but Ian and Co. were able to convince the police it was part of the show and Levy was told he would be brought back if he didn't press charges. He didn't, and wouldn't you believe that Ian wasn't be a man of his word?

There was a lot of highs for IWA-MS and CZW in terms of actual wrestling talent, which puts them above XPW which is damning with faint praise, but the lows are pretty loving low.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

forkboy84 posted:

My memory is poo poo but the basics are that Mike Levy was a very poor backyard deathmatch kind of guy from the Carolinas. I don't think anyone really knew who his name until this happened, but for whatever reason (probably shittalking on the internet? It was 2008 so probably. I think he was desperate for a chance on a real show?) he got added to the IWAMS Queen of the Deathmatch Tournament, y'know, because he's a guy haha, & he got put in there against Mickie Knuckles. Mickie was maybe told to teach the backyarder a lesson & work extremely stiff, or she was working normally stiff for Mickie Knuckles which is still very stiff & Levy stopped selling because he didn't really know how to react to getting hit so hard, & this pisses off Knuckles & she beats Levy up more. And then after the match Tank & Devon Moore (who were both on the King of the Death Match card IWA were doing the same day) came out & started beating up Levy while possibly yelling at him to learn to sell, & Ian came out & joined it & some others including Ian's lovely little son. Proper assault stuff.

And then afterwards someone reported the whole thing to the local police in whatever podunk Indiana town they hadn't been chased out of yet & everyone including Levy insisted it was all just part of the show. The police weren't convinced but couldn't do much. After doing that Levy miraculously got promised to be booked by IWAMS again, which he agreed to because he was a mark. And of course Ian welched on whatever agreement & he never wrestled for them again.

I remember this being one of the things that really made people kind of write off IWA MS. Like they were already pulling some poo poo then but I think this was that thing where people were like ok this is maybe a bit too trashy.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Ian has always seemed to be one of the larger pieces of poo poo in wrestling, to me at least

Maybe don't be an idiot and try to force into a deathmatch you're not qualified for, but even then that doesn't excuse all of that

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Gumball Gumption posted:

The release date is December 22nd. Definitely going to bring in money at the Christmas box office

That seems like such a bad idea unless Ghostbusters pushes to 2024. I guess it could since it doesn't have a name yet but Wonka, then Aquaman and Ghostbusters, plus a few other big movies in that period all competing for screens AND Neon putting out Ferrari is going to be brutal.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
Tbh, I'm not sure how anyone would market a film about the Von Erichs at any time of the year. It's a project that, you would think, has film festival written all over it, and that should be fine! I know the industry has regressed significantly that that's not really much of an option, but I'm not even sure if you can get that crucial ironic meme appeal out of a Von Erich biopic.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Hedgehog Pie posted:

Tbh, I'm not sure how anyone would market a film about the Von Erichs at any time of the year. It's a project that, you would think, has film festival written all over it, and that should be fine! I know the industry has regressed significantly that that's not really much of an option, but I'm not even sure if you can get that crucial ironic meme appeal out of a Von Erich biopic.

A24 definitely knows how to market this stuff, but it feels like something you slip in on a fall weekend when not a lot is out there, or maybe early spring. It's definitely possible that Wonka bombs, Aquaman underperforms, Ghostbusters pushes and people are left wanting to see a nice film about family over the Christmas break.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
You release movies like The Iron Claw at the end of December for awards consideration, not because you think it's going to make money

December 22 might even just be the NYC/LA date, then they push it wide (well, as wide as this kind of movie can get these days) at the start of January, where there's no compeptition.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

JethroMcB posted:

You release movies like The Iron Claw at the end of December for awards consideration, not because you think it's going to make money

December 22 might even just be the NYC/LA date, then they push it wide (well, as wide as this kind of movie can get these days) at the start of January, where there's no compeptition.

I didn't really get the impression this was an Oscar bait kind of movie, it's A24 it's hard to tell. But Oscar season is anywhere from October through December and they release the stuff they want for consideration throughout that period, Moonlight was fall, The Whale was Christmas, Everything Everywhere was a huge outlier but it came out in spring. Other than Beau is Afraid A24 is pretty good at releasing stuff they think will make money even when they also are big award players.

Also Variety said nationwide so it won't be NY/LA although it's possible they do like 300 screens and then add screens for a couple weeks. That and:

quote:

Despite its prime awards season release, “The Iron Claw” is currently in post-production and isn’t expected to make the rounds at film festivals.

MassRafTer fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Jul 28, 2023

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

Please, this is all I have
I remember watching the Tiger King documentary when the pandemic started and the Von Eric's would've made a good multi-episode tragedy in the same vein but as a movie? Idk if there's ever a good time to release a tragic story with no happy ending unless there's a Bratz movie coming out soon featuring Jake Gyllenhaal and Jennifer Lawrence that becomes a meme

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

forkboy84 posted:

On the one hand, IWAMS paid like poo poo, if at all, on the other hand Eddie Kingston vs Chris Hero in a last man standing match from one of the TPI shows is one of the best matches I've seen in a US indy so it's impossible for me to actually hate IWA. Although Ian's long winded "motivational" in-ring promos were never nit dogshit

Didn't Ian once run a charity show to raise money for a kayfabe injury for somebody?

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

C. Everett Koop posted:

Levy faced Mickie Knuckles, a legitimately good wrestler that Ian had trained (for all his many, many flaws, Ian could actually work a straight match. Someone on the old DVDVR board once described IWA-MS as "Battlearts on crystal meth" and drat if that wasn't accurate) and who was getting a shot on TNA with the ever so charming name of Moose Knuckles. If you don't know what that means I'm not explaining it go look it up.

So now you have a backyard guy with little to no actual clue what he's doing in the ring against someone who has a clue but now has an axe to grind on behalf of the meathead owner, and poo poo quickly goes south. Levy gets concussed at some point, meaning he goes into negative awareness, and after what's barely a work Mickie wins, and then we get to what the linked video showed. Devon Moore and Tank commit what's at least aggravated assault and maybe attempted murder, Ian and his son John Calvin commit assault as well, Rollin' Hard and Mad Man Pondo kinda get in on the action but their hearts aren't really in it.

Mickie had a short run in TNA that came to an abrupt halt when she was facing Sara Del Ray in a match, tried a dive off a stage, and had a horrifc leg break. Ian tried to block the footage of the break from being officially released but it eventually made it's way to tape (probably because Ian knew it'd raise tape sales let's be honest). Mickie's career was never the same and I have no clue what she's doing these days; she's someone who probably doesn't get enough recognition in women's wrestling as Ian booked her very well and brought in talent for her to face, but she ended up wanting to do deathmatches and the TNA run would have been the high point of her career given the landscape of women's wrestling in that era.
A few clarifications/context:

1) Mickie Knuckles was only ever called "Moose" in TNA, not "Moose Knuckles", though she also wrestled in tights that read "Mickie" because they didn't bother to get/tell her to get new gear. It's entirely possible there was an intention to eventually make a dumb moose knuckle joke and they never got around to it because of the injury?

2) Mickie and Ian Rotten were dating at the time, which may explain (but not in any way justify) his overreaction to the possibility that one of his trainees/girlfriend might get a cosmetic injury while wrestling in three deathmatches, one against an untrained backyarder, two days before a round of TV tapings where she was going to play... a badass brawler in a street fight? Where she busts open her opponent hardway?

3) Mickie Knuckles is still wrestling! Mostly in deathmatch indies, but she's fairly prominent in those still. She honestly seems to be wrestling more consistently post-pandemic than at any time since 2012 or so.

Zombie Lemur
Jul 6, 2009

Empyrean empties

explosivo posted:

Can I interest you in a jon moxley sublimated hockey jersey?

No? Anyone?

He looks like he's going "This thing? really?"

Mox already had a Cincinnati Cyclones logo style shirt, they should've just used that.

Procrastinator
Aug 16, 2009

what?

Writer Cath posted:

https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1684564862897393666

Imagine going into this thinking it'll be some uplifting sports type movie. This holiday season, give your family the gift of never knowing happiness again.

cant wait to watch kerry von erich cook a boss rear end beef sandwich or some poo poo

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

I find Lance Archer's ideas intriguing and wish to subscribe to his newsletter https://twitter.com/LanceHoyt/status/1684624804941266944?t=oA_QTnAqmu_OmFEqE1ltcw&s=19

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
Did Ospreay finish the story?

https://twitter.com/willospreay/status/1684556590253477888?s=46&t=AwMtDeZF_tX5DmOd53fE0g

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

he beat Okada clean for the first time yesterday, so yes

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Lamuella posted:

I find Lance Archer's ideas intriguing and wish to subscribe to his newsletter https://twitter.com/LanceHoyt/status/1684624804941266944?t=oA_QTnAqmu_OmFEqE1ltcw&s=19

This idea rocks. Year 1ers in a faction of violent weirdos

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

sounds like the worst faction on earth

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

the nowhere collective

Manwithastick
Jul 26, 2010

I'm always sad by the fact they haven't done anything with Sonny kiss in all the time he's been in AEW

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Lamuella posted:

https://twitter.com/LanceHoyt/status/1684644973071794177?t=o60APfL7OBOLCNCQmJG3zw&s=19

fuckin lol

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH

Manwithastick posted:

I'm always sad by the fact they haven't done anything with Sonny kiss in all the time he's been in AEW

Sonny prefers she/her just so you're aware :)

Numero6
Oct 10, 2012

ここは地の果て 流されて俺
今日もさすらい 涙も涸れる
ブルーゲイル
https://twitter.com/pperezninja/status/1684727565301219328

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
https://www.instagram.com/reel/CvP0djDt8me/?igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

Yeah....yeah, that's Mox's kid alright

Ibexaz
Jul 23, 2013

The faces he makes while posting are inexcusable! When he writes a post his face is like a troll double checking bones to see if there's any meat left! When I post I look like a peacock softly kissing a rose! Didn't his parents provide him with a posting mirror to practice forums faces growing up?

Shinjobi posted:

Yeah....yeah, that's Mox's kid alright

Walks in frame with a scowl, looks in the camera and shrugs

Yep, thats a Mox

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
But she's not spontaneously bleeding? :confused:

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Instagram shows a friend who I know doesn't watch wrestling follows Renee. I'm *so* curious what the connection is.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Dango Bango posted:

Instagram shows a friend who I know doesn't watch wrestling follows Renee. I'm *so* curious what the connection is.

Didn't she used to do MMA coverage on the radio/Canadian TV too?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
https://twitter.com/Fumihikodayo/status/1684789976687632385

Fumi, you look perfect.

Troxartas
Jan 13, 2007

The Old Warhorse

Dango Bango posted:

She did player interviews for the NFL team Cincinnati Bengals last season, and had that cookbook too so she could of popped up in their algorithm that way.

Whoolighams
Jul 24, 2007
Thanks Dom Monaghan

Dango Bango posted:

there's been a phenomenon of people following Reby Hardy/Gothic Baby on Tiktok without knowing who Matt is and having their partner notice him popping up and going "is that Matt loving Hardy"

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

Whoolighams posted:

there's been a phenomenon of people following Reby Hardy/Gothic Baby on Tiktok without knowing who Matt is and having their partner notice him popping up and going "is that Matt loving Hardy"

my wife (dax voice) is one of those people

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I wanna hear Dax’s Borat

Power Windows
Dec 29, 2004

Brasky used to ride upon a steed, perchance to spy a lady.

Manwithastick posted:

I'm always sad by the fact they haven't done anything with Sonny kiss in all the time she's been in AEW

:this:

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

You can only do so much with someone really bad at wrestling 😢

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Controversial but true

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
https://twitter.com/itstori_lv/status/1685025633309712388?s=46&t=AwMtDeZF_tX5DmOd53fE0g

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
https://twitter.com/DukeOfAwesome/status/1685038472963211265