Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

also I guess one way to avoid the awkwardness of depicting "fantasy native americans" that people were talking about is to just do aztec and inca, which seems to get a pass from everyone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Teaser link for easy access!

https://twitter.com/FF_XIV_EN/status/1685002816606330882?t=7Ei7oqHSjWYQ0C-wwRoJtg&s=19

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005

Badger of Basra posted:

also I guess one way to avoid the awkwardness of depicting "fantasy native americans" that people were talking about is to just do aztec and inca, which seems to get a pass from everyone

That map expansion definitely looked like there was a shrouded North America equivalent, so maybe that's where the Blue Mage stuff comes from while this is more the mamool ja we see in like La Noscea.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
What did yoship's shirt tease at the first ShB fanfest, dancer or gunbreaker?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

its weird everybody is generally fine with the xaela who are also a bunch of tribes people based on disparate real world cultures and where they just outright appropriate real world terms for important festivals, like naadam

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naadam

but is suddenly really touchy about this

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Countblanc posted:

bugs bunny for viera, there wasnt a job tshirt teaser

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Countblanc posted:

I think he wore a bugs bunny shirt to tease Viera

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

pleased to announce that this means playable kojin

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

bobtheconqueror posted:

That map expansion definitely looked like there was a shrouded North America equivalent, so maybe that's where the Blue Mage stuff comes from while this is more the mamool ja we see in like La Noscea.

Countblanc posted:

Neither, actually. He was wearing a Bugs Bunny racing tee.
But he did say that the teaser trailer might have had a job hint in it (you clearly saw Thancred with a gunblade during that teaser trailer).

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

actually kojin even have two tribes like playable races... hosed up

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Badger of Basra posted:

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Chillgamesh posted:

I wonder how Pictomancer would work if we actually get it…? Corsair makes a lot of sense as the new melee since a Rogue-type class that isn’t Ninja is a pretty big gap in the job roster, and it’s easy to see how it could play. But Picto seems a lot more abstract and difficult to implement

I mean, I think it's abstract as they want it to be, it could be an incredibly involved pet class (lmao) involving drawing creatures or it could be literally a mage but the flavor is red paint, blue paint, yellow paint instead of Fire Ice Lightning.

Anyways I think it would be cool if the job gauge is a paint palette and a bunch of their spells add colors to the palette that they can spend on big attacks or utility, something along the lines of samurai or ninja

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Hogama posted:

Neither, actually. He was wearing a Bugs Bunny racing tee.
But he did say that the teaser trailer might have had a job hint in it (you clearly saw Thancred with a gunblade during that teaser trailer).

ah so we're going to fantasy brazil and peru, I see fantasy argentina under the clouds to the south

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Endorph posted:

its weird everybody is generally fine with the xaela who are also a bunch of tribes people based on disparate real world cultures and where they just outright appropriate real world terms for important festivals, like naadam

Americans dont give a poo poo about stuff that exists outside their country is why lol.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
An interesting thing to me about the new map is the big SOUTH SEA ISLES on it, that wasn't on the old map. Don't even believe we knew exactly where they were before.
(for reference)

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Thank you trailer for reminding everyo e Estinien is really good with kids. It helps foreshadow the time skip epilogue where we're married

wokow6
Oct 19, 2013
I can't believe my half-joking guess of "WoL goes on vacation" was correct.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Right at the end there, when he throws the hood back and it pans away you can see his outfit. TOTALLY Corsair or something similar with another name.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

bobtheconqueror posted:

I would think there might be a lot of similarity with SMN in terms of having a kind of modal switch between several possible paintings, with only one active at a time, that would provide alterations to their basic attack abilities.

Or perhaps more uniquely, animating the paintings is the attacks, and they have several flourish or support abilities that modify those attacks, sort of like a ninjutsu system... (holy gently caress if it's TMNT for painter this kind of makes sense). Like they choose color combinations to determine what basic type of attack it is, with maybe some longer cooldown abilities to provide a flourish for an additional benefit to the attack.

Edit: Possibly with some aoe buff or debuff "splash" abilities so they fill a bit of a support role in that regard.

Yeah I was thinking of Summoner cycling through Primals as a possible thing too. Maybe instead of Primals it'd be cool classic monsters like Behemoth and Ultros

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
So rewatching that trailer the voice at the end is definitely not Erenville

my guess is it's a female hrothgar, unseen on the boat along with Alphinaud. The few times we've had voiced Hrothgar they've had the same Norwegian accent.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Also, hoping Corsair actually is Sword/Pistol so we can get a cool Late Allagan skin where it gets some super high-speed low-drag tacticool sidearm and a stun baton together to use with the YoRHa or PvP set

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Chillgamesh posted:

Yeah I was thinking of Summoner cycling through Primals as a possible thing too. Maybe instead of Primals it'd be cool classic monsters like Behemoth and Ultros

"Draw receptionist" command that's 50/50 between summoning Ultros and Tataru?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Endorph posted:

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Americans dont give a poo poo about stuff that exists outside their country is why lol.

I think maybe, just maybe, people have more context for and feel more comfortable speaking about things more relevant to their own personal experience and culture

Like, yes, there’s some weird performative self-flagellation here, of course there is. This whole proto-conversation about colonialism is an attempt to have a pre-discourse without knowing basically anything about the expansion and it’s weird and exhausting. But I don’t think the impulse to have that discourse is somehow false or hypocritical.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Arist posted:

I think maybe, just maybe, people have more context for and feel more comfortable speaking about things more relevant to their own personal experience and culture

Like, yes, there’s some weird performative self-flagellation here, of course there is. This whole proto-conversation about colonialism is an attempt to have a pre-discourse without knowing basically anything about the expansion and it’s weird and exhausting. But I don’t think the impulse to have that discourse is somehow false or hypocritical.

FINAL FANTASY XIV: DAWNTRAIL 7.0 (Proto-conversation and pre-discourse)

Klewer
Dec 26, 2012

Who is being touchy about what. I don't even know what people are crying about but it's not in this thread

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

I have a feeling colonialism isn't really going to be a theme with this expansion since it was already the primary subject of Stormblood and also the New World is pretty secluded from any of the factions and governments we've encountered so far. At worst the WoL is gonna Last Samurai themself into Mamool Ja culture

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

Chillgamesh posted:

I wonder how Pictomancer would work if we actually get it…? Corsair makes a lot of sense as the new melee since a Rogue-type class that isn’t Ninja is a pretty big gap in the job roster, and it’s easy to see how it could play. But Picto seems a lot more abstract and difficult to implement
DoT mage class, with their DoTs being summons like Living Shadow or Automation Queen. Sketch's big thing is bringing drawings to life, after all.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Klewer posted:

Who is being touchy about what. I don't even know what people are crying about but it's not in this thread

The annoying thing is that it feels like people are responding to posts in both this and the spoiler thread at once and it's not very easy to follow

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

The panel with Ishikawa about making Endwalker is about to begin

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Arist posted:

My problem is that I do genuinely think people are being false and hypocritical. This conversation is coming up almost exclusively because people decided FF16 was tremendously racist before it came out and have stuck to that ever since, which is why in both here and the spoiler thread you have people wringing their hands about how terrible and racist YoshiP would be in a New World adventure.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

And I gotta agree with Ibram in the spoiler thread, it feels like a lot of people want to segregate culture, when it's very hard to do that, and when you do, you end up with dead cultures/languages

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

For the record, I am being facetious when I say that I expect Yoship to bust out dual peace pipes in redface.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I love Ishikawa

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

A few months back I made this Gpose/Anamnesis shot;

You already gave me the hat AND glasses, don't disappoint me with the rest of it, CBU3....

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Blockhouse posted:

So rewatching that trailer the voice at the end is definitely not Erenville

my guess is it's a female hrothgar, unseen on the boat along with Alphinaud. The few times we've had voiced Hrothgar they've had the same Norwegian accent.
https://twitter.com/FF_XIV_JP/status/1685001467433013248
If you listen at the same spot in the Japanese trailer, the voice is even more conspicuously feminine and especially not Erenville, so you're probably on the right track.

Abhorrence
Feb 5, 2010

A love that crushes like a mace.
Just make sure Pictomancers can't draw invisible enemies, or the entire server rack is going to burst into flames the first time one tries to.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Ah good it is time to come back to FFXIV.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Abhorrence posted:

Just make sure Pictomancers can't draw invisible enemies, or the entire server rack is going to burst into flames the first time one tries to.

Nah, it'll just completely replace your inventory with stacks of 255 Weathered Daggers and delete your character when you log out :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies