Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CrypticFox
Dec 19, 2019

"You are one of the most incompetent of tablet writers"

Mercury_Storm posted:

Ok that has got to be a joke, there is no way someone actually believes that a former poster's promise to gently caress a watermelon has anything to do with future stock prices lol

The thing is, if these people are "joking," they have been maintaining this "joke" for over two years at this point. Generally if you click on people's post history you'll see hundreds, if not thousands, of previous posts about BBBY, so if they are trolling, its a very committed troll that begins to border on not actually being a troll anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Pirate Captain
Jun 6, 2006

Avast ye lubbers, lest ye be scuppered!

Mercury_Storm posted:

Ok that has got to be a joke, there is no way someone actually believes that a former poster's promise to gently caress a watermelon has anything to do with future stock prices lol

That’s what I thought too! But if it is a joke, they’ve been keeping it up for a very long time. BBBY: This children’s book is clearly a reference to loving a watermelon.

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

CrypticFox posted:

The thing is, if these people are "joking," they have been maintaining this "joke" for over two years at this point. Generally if you click on people's post history you'll see hundreds, if not thousands, of previous posts about BBBY, so if they are trolling, its a very committed troll that begins to border on not actually being a troll anymore.

im permabanned BBBy poster towelslurper58... ..... . i would advise all people who "get" bbby to be careful because that likely means you have a predisposition to a mental illness. peace.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
I'm sure that lots of people have just silently left once they realized they've lost everything, leaving just the most deranged believers. But there's probably people who secretly realize the truth, but feel compelled to keep up the charade because they want to sell their shares to a sucker for at least a small fraction of what they paid for them..

Amazing Zimmo
Jan 27, 2006

That's quite a load you got in them diapers
I got BBBY from unprotected sex

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

CrypticFox posted:

It's actually an Andy Kaufman tribute Reddit, OP.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

The Pirate Captain posted:

I have found the best, most well thought out post explaining why BBBY is going to be so valuable here. To whet your appetite, here is a context free quote from it:

I honestly thought it was trolling but took a look through the user’s post history and it appears to be legit.

See the skull, the part of bone removed,

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

I have found the best, most well thought out post explaining why BBBY is going to be so valuable here. To whet your appetite, here is a context free quote from it:

I honestly thought it was trolling but took a look through the user’s post history and it appears to be legit.

I like how the linchpin of their theory is that he quoted Titanic, and that the Titanic movie had a purple gem in it, which lines up with the purple heart and the....red and blue tiny plastic men in someone else's lego model....

wow it sure would be bad if the gem was actually super bright blue

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

CrypticFox posted:

A lot of the trolls probably end up getting parroted by true believers. Pretty sure this is how Qanon got started.

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
Unsurprisingly there’s quite a few qanon post crossovers pulling it all together into one mega-conspiracy.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

coolusername posted:

Unsurprisingly there’s quite a few qanon post crossovers pulling it all together into one mega-conspiracy.

Is it a coincidence that "Ryan Cohen" and "adrenochrome" share that many letters?

I THINK NOT

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext

Jean-Paul Shartre posted:

Is it a coincidence that "Ryan Cohen" and "adrenochrome" share that many letters?

I THINK NOT

You mean cohencidence

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang

Boxturret posted:

See the skull, the part of bone removed,

please, at least frank dec was right about gangster computer god. the internet is proving him right every day. who in your life can you really say isn't in gangster frankenstein radio earphone slavery?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Deep Glove Bruno posted:

please, at least frank dec was right about gangster computer god. the internet is proving him right every day. who in your life can you really say isn't in gangster frankenstein radio earphone slavery?

That sounds way too awesome to be true.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Mercury_Storm posted:

BBBY Reddit posted:

But, if the melon refers to the Mila Kunis watermellon then I think the banana references u/Rick_of_Spades bet that, “If we break 200 today I will shove a banana up my rear end” 2 years ago, which he lost but boy did he deliver, ew.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
How do people keep on shoving fruit into their bungholes on bets

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
They actually enjoy it.

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

They actually enjoy it.

Haha wouldn't it be funny if I shoved some fruit up my rear end in a top hat haha like just a joke you know haha I totally wouldn't enjoy it but you know what they say a bets a bet haha

gallop w/a boner
Aug 16, 2002

Hell Gem
Is blockchain based event ticketing a real thing or just Vaporware? A colleague of mine was discussing it but I couldn’t understand how it would prevent produce the benefits he claimed like preventing scalping etc.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

No matter how much blockchain they shove into a thing if the asset can be traded to someone else then a market will form around it.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

SettingSun posted:

No matter how much blockchain they shove into a thing if the asset can be traded to someone else then a market will form around it.

didn't they make something called...soul locked tokens or something like that, that once you got them once you couldn't move them again? of course you can then just sell the wallet itself

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

gallop w/a boner posted:

Is blockchain based event ticketing a real thing or just Vaporware? A colleague of mine was discussing it but I couldn’t understand how it would prevent produce the benefits he claimed like preventing scalping etc.
Ticketmaster was experimenting with it 5 years back when Blockchain was a fancy word everyone wanted. Presumably since then they remembered scalpers make their job easier beside a realm of local laws guaranteeing certain levels of event ticketing fungibility. Because they haven't really said anything since besides experimenting with artist minted NFTs when NFTs became the hotness instead.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
Is there any current commercial use of blockchain for something other than stupid financial scams? Does anyone actually do anything useful with the technology?

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

Is there any current commercial use of blockchain for something other than stupid financial scams? Does anyone actually do anything useful with the technology?

Do you count regular distributed databases that engineers convinced upper management are "private blockchains"? 'Cause there's a lot of these.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

No

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

Tell us what you think a blochchain is in the simplest terms and you can answer your own question easily

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

That’s what I thought too! But if it is a joke, they’ve been keeping it up for a very long time. BBBY: This children’s book is clearly a reference to loving a watermelon.

Bitcoin: This children’s book is clearly a reference to loving a watermelon.

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

barf barf i am a dog, barf on your carpet, barf
Just used bitcoin

(converted 200 usd and bought 10 grams of very pure amphetamine, and so much more!!)

Hairy Right Hook
Sep 9, 2001

Hee to the ho
Money (Bitcoin) well spent

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Not the most intuitive joke.

JammyB
May 23, 2001

I slept with Mary and Joseph never found out

gallop w/a boner posted:

Your colleague is correct - blockchain uses maths to guarantee that bad actors and scammers are not able to operate in this space.

To give a practical example, can 1 + 1 = 3? No, thus the scalpers are locked out. QED.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I mean I suppose you could run some kind of logistics ledger system for cross-carrier shipping or something on it but why bother

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate your patience, this is a tricky maneuver
I'm trying to figure out how blockchain accomplishes anything other than formalizing the space in which scalping would operate. Isn't the whole point of web3 to turn everything into a speculative market?

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Serious_Cyclone posted:

I'm trying to figure out how blockchain accomplishes anything other than formalizing the space in which scalping would operate. Isn't the whole point of web3 to turn everything into a speculative market?

It accomplishes earning the originator of the ticket (eg ticketmaster) more money by letting them take a percentage on any resale of the ticket

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Jul 29, 2023

Hairy Right Hook
Sep 9, 2001

Hee to the ho

deep dish peat moss posted:

It accomplishes earning the originator of the ticket (eg ticketmaster) more money by letting them percentage on any resale of the ticket

This is the current scheme yeah. The current hype is around something called zero trust but no way would Ticketmaster let that poo poo slide lol. Assuming people can get it to work.

Crust First
May 1, 2013

Wrong lads.
There was some idiot scheme at some point claiming that your used ticket stub NFT would be a huge collectable you could resell in the future for BIG BUX once the band dies or something, it's all a grift trying to shove as many middlemen between existing middlemen as possible on the promise of future profits for your literal garbage.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

deep dish peat moss posted:

It accomplishes earning the originator of the ticket (eg ticketmaster) more money by letting them take a percentage on any resale of the ticket

Why would I not simply buy the ticket into a new, empty wallet then sell access to that wallet off the chain

and then use the ticket myself anyway, naturally

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Dabir posted:

Why would I not simply buy the ticket into a new, empty wallet then sell access to that wallet off the chain

Not if the ticket is encrypted with your eyeball as a key.

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

We went out for lunch and then we stopped for some bubble tea.

Dabir posted:

It would be more work for the buyer than going on the ticket master site and clicking buy from scalper. Also it could be tied to your ID unless you resell it properly? I’m assuming they could set it up to do that pretty easily.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel
I thought of something darkly funny regarding the BBBY cult today. A lot of them could probably get a pretty solid loss to use for tax purposes against capital gains if they sold now. You can even use a little bit of it each year against ordinary income. The loss can be carried forward until used too.

But they're just too deranged and ignorant to realize this rather large benefit staring them all in the face. It's probably going to be harder and harder for them to sell and realize the loss too as time drags on. Even this late in the game they are still making the categorically wrong move, worried instead about absurdly tiny fluctuations in the miniscule residual value of the stock.

Sardonik fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Jul 29, 2023