Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Sapozhnik posted:

yea i meant that dxvk is an important part of how you run windows games on linux, although as mentioned above it can be usefully on windows as well. just not on nvidia hardware
nvidia hardware can't get around hard limitations of dx11 either, so it's useful there too. various games that run like poo poo due to dx11 being stupid run way better through dxvk. mostly things that do way too many draw calls like online games or horde shooters etc

Mr. Crow posted:

dxvk does or does not work for directx12? Or is vulkan doing the directx12 translations directly (if the programmers did do it natively)?
d12 translation layer is called vkd3d probably because it's a way more direct translation?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

dxvk and vkd3d were two separate projects started roughly at the same time.

dxvk was created to replace wine’s mostly non-functional D3D10/11 implementation on OpenGL with something that worked and was built on Vulkan.

vkd3d was a fresh D3D12 implementation because wine didn’t support that at all.

note that Steam uses their own fork called vkd3d-proton which basically is unrelated to vkd3d at this point

also dxvk has grown a D3D9 implementation to replace wine’s existing OpenGL based implementation

switching topics, the Linux graphics stack is broadly similar to the structure of both Windows and macOS and basically every other platform — a hardware-agnostic library talks to a hardware-specific library that talks to a hardware-specific kernel driver and/or memory mapped hardware directly, and the kernel driver is assisted by a generic hardware-agnostic driver.

open source drivers use one driver stack, nvidia has written their entirely separate driver stack that doesn’t use any of the open source components except at the highest possible level— the X server and the OpenGL and Vulkan ICDs

this is one of the reasons Wayland has had very slow adoption; the various Wayland compositors rely on the Linux native open source graphics stack to e.g. change monitor resolution, which nvidia has refused to implement because they already have an X driver and dgaf

pseudorandom name fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Jul 26, 2023

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

pseudorandom name posted:

also dxvk has grown a D3D9 implementation to replace wine’s existing OpenGL based implementation

there's a d8vk layer now too, and it even emulates the Nvidia hardware shadow buffers from the geforce 4 era that a couple of splinter cell games need, essentially resurrecting them from the dead

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
idk if chomeos does much anything with drivers, but how the hell is this overpowered chomebook with a goddamn i5 having issues playing 1080p video

if hardware acceleration is on, twitch will reliably freeze for ~30s while still downloading video chunks, repeatedly. disabling hardware acceleration not only fixes this, it makes the machine run much, much cooler

i woulda thought intel hd graphics would be like, _the_ graphics to be stable as hell under linux

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

maybe something incredibly dumb like live transcoding from one mp4 format to another mp4 format so that the hardware accelerator can actually understand it, rather than just decoding the dumb thing with software and going from there

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Qtotonibudinibudet posted:

idk if chomeos does much anything with drivers, but how the hell is this overpowered chomebook with a goddamn i5 having issues playing 1080p video

if hardware acceleration is on, twitch will reliably freeze for ~30s while still downloading video chunks, repeatedly. disabling hardware acceleration not only fixes this, it makes the machine run much, much cooler

i woulda thought intel hd graphics would be like, _the_ graphics to be stable as hell under linux

chromebooks are where all the engineering talent behind android tablets ended up. do you have any further questions

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Sapozhnik posted:

flat design is what happens when you have to work on arbitrary display DPIs that aren't an integer multiple of 96

nah, apple went flat in macos a couple years after they started shipping @2x displays and committed to only doing integer multiples. they don't have to do arbitrary and they still shot themselves / users in the foot!

flat design is what happens when your ui designers follow the worst ui fashion trends and keep doubling down on them as they disappear further up their own asses

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

you just don't understand the genius of low-contrast monochrome abstract line drawings

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Qtotonibudinibudet posted:

you'd be right if it was still 2013, but somehow the intel gpu situation seems to have been completely abandoned since then

the drivers still work, but they often seem no better or worse than in 2013, which also means they often don't support anything new since 2013 besides the bare basics of "does your monitor turn on on new hardware". all that said, i don't think browser videos specifically are intel's fault because

when you're talking about playing youtube or twitch videos in a browser, most laptops i've seen in the last couple years will start sweating as gently caress and spin the fans when taken to these websites, apart from macs that solved the problem by simply not having a fan. if you use an external player it'll stay silent just fine regardless of hardware codec support, but if you open it in a browser you get murdered by fan noise as thanks for your tracking data i guess. and this isn't limited to linux

mystes
May 31, 2006

didn't firefox not have hardware video acceleration under linux for several years until it got it again recently or am I just making that up?

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

native video players (on windows) upload compressed video to the GPU which gets decompressed into a plane that gets scanned out directly without involving the compositor or powering up the 3D engine

browsers have to decompress the video to a texture, convert the format, and then composite it into their own scene graph for the page, also there’s a bunch of JavaScript orchestrating this at multiple points in the process

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

mystes posted:

didn't firefox not have hardware video acceleration under linux for several years until it got it again recently or am I just making that up?

yes, i think the recent development there was on by default with intel, but it has been working for a while

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Truga posted:

when you're talking about playing youtube or twitch videos in a browser, most laptops i've seen in the last couple years will start sweating as gently caress and spin the fans when taken to these websites, apart from macs that solved the problem by simply not having a fan. if you use an external player it'll stay silent just fine regardless of hardware codec support, but if you open it in a browser you get murdered by fan noise as thanks for your tracking data i guess. and this isn't limited to linux

browser video extra complications aside, this is the difference between browser video with hw acceleration and without. the browser video part is still the same

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

i was checking out what other WMs there were in wayland, as one does, and saw one called "hyprland" that had looked pretty good going by the screenshots. it was a pretty quick evaluation since the default background is an anime. switched back to gnome

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
harsh, but fair. you can never be too careful.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
there's also just HYPR for x11

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug
thanks for all the linux video driver effortposts

i like using a macbook pro because of apple home and apple pay via safari and imessage and the messages app using my phone to let me type sms/mms with my laptop keyboard, and nice iphone and apple watch integration and how fantastic the apple silicon chips are (m1 pro in my mbp)

but i really do miss using linux on a laptop full time, now just relegated to my home and work desktops (ironically my work desktop is a 10-year-old imac running kubuntu 22.04)

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Lysidas posted:

but i really do miss using linux on a laptop full time, now just relegated to my home and work desktops (ironically my work desktop is a 10-year-old imac running kubuntu 22.04)

surrender to your inner shaggar and your mbp will have been running linux all along

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Soricidus posted:

surrender to your inner shaggar and your mbp will have been running linux all along

weird way to spell "windows 11"

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Progressive JPEG posted:

i was checking out what other WMs there were in wayland, as one does, and saw one called "hyprland" that had looked pretty good going by the screenshots. it was a pretty quick evaluation since the default background is an anime. switched back to gnome

I’d do one of those multiple pass hard drive wipes to sanitize your computer after downloading that

mystes
May 31, 2006

akadajet posted:

I’d do one of those multiple pass hard drive wipes to sanitize your computer after downloading that
nowadays with ssds you can just use delete the files and then apply bleach liberally

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
durr

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
Nice racism and xenophobia folks.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Soricidus posted:

or inner steve jobs

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
osx is a linux

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Shaggar posted:

osx is a linux

osx is just linux with working sound drivers.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

1 linux = 1 like

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Lysidas posted:

(ironically my work desktop is a 10-year-old imac running kubuntu 22.04)

same, except debian because prod is also debian so why not. the screen's decent so i took it, and the oldness doesn't matter because everything i work with happens on other machines now lol

mystes
May 31, 2006

mycophobia posted:

Nice racism and xenophobia folks.
don't sign your .hacks

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

MY KPI IS HOW MANY VP NUTS I SUCK IN A FISCAL YEAR AND MY LAST THREE OFFICE CHAIRS COMMITTED SUICIDE
the best laptop experience is to use it as a remote desktop viewer so you can close it and get more beer for a while as things happen elsewhere on teal computers

mac/win/linux is kinda irrelevant imo

mystes
May 31, 2006

fresh_cheese posted:

the best laptop experience is to use it as a remote desktop viewer so you can close it and get more beer for a while as things happen elsewhere on teal computers
using laptops as thin clients isn't terrible but I'm not sure I really want to be connecting to a g3 imac to get my work done

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

MY KPI IS HOW MANY VP NUTS I SUCK IN A FISCAL YEAR AND MY LAST THREE OFFICE CHAIRS COMMITTED SUICIDE

im sorry i said a real computer

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

yeah, get a power mac and get those extra drives going

mystes
May 31, 2006

fresh_cheese posted:

im sorry i said a real computer
no you said a "teal" computer actually

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

oh.

my bad. carry on then.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
tbh you could probably be pretty productive on a g3 imac

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

would there be a productivity difference between teal vs tangerine or grape?

i would think the red/strawberry would have to be fastest

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
no question, the graphite imac dv was the proest looking crt imac. therefore the fastest

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

hell yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

ozempic :rolleyes: