Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Yep

Edit:great page opener

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i loving loved that episode

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

:sickos:

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
ah... sadness

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

SVMS-01 UNION FLAG GREATEST MOBILE SUIT

ENACT = CHEAP EUROTRASH COPY

Cursed Technique: Glock

Sander
Sep 10, 2022
Absolutely great use of the ED song there.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Say what you like about Gege, he isn't afraid to kill off good characters for the sake of the story.

I've read the manga for this part last year but I forgot a lot of it so it was nice* to experience it somewhat fresh.

*No it wasn't :smithicide:

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Schubalts posted:

Yea, he can turn it off whenever he wants.

You can see his eye change right before he gets stabbed. Literally stabbed the minute he relaxes.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Triggerhappypilot posted:

Cursed Technique: Glock

Just like Demon Slayer; if you can’t do the show’s special powers, get a strap.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

I gotta say I really like how the fights in JJK have just a little bit of the JoJo style of puzzle fights, while still having some of the best standard shounen style action at the same time. The whole thing with Toji baiting Gojo to release limitless is so smart and good.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

RillAkBea posted:

Say what you like about Gege, he isn't afraid to kill off good characters for the sake of the story.

I've read the manga for this part last year but I forgot a lot of it so it was nice* to experience it somewhat fresh.

*No it wasn't :smithicide:

Same. I was trying to remember how this arc ended and was totally caught off guard by the last minute of the episode. No clue how I forgot something so hosed up.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Goddamn the JJK anime fucken rules. Crazy how much sasuga animation mappa pumps into it too.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
You know I'm starting to think this is a dangerous occupation

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009

Yawgmoft posted:

You know I'm starting to think this is a dangerous occupation

Student? Yeah, kids get shot all the time, though they're usually American

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Jesus this episode is clean as hell

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011
"I alone am the honored one"

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡
Looks like aside from having the Limitless technique Gojo also unlocked the Limitless brain drug with RCT healing.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

After every episode I think "MAPPA, you really don't have to go this hard, this is season 2 and I'm already committed."

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

No. They should continue going hard.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
Season 2 is cooking so hard that they are going to have to redo season 1 at this rate, haha. It's been fantastic.

I don't even begrudge them changing how Gojo looked when he did his "I am the honored one" line, despite that exact panel being the only anime poster I have in my home :colbert:

The panel/poster in question:

The fact is, you can't always get a 1:1 with anime and manga, and sometimes one medium shines over the other. This is one of those times, imo, when manga can just convey the situation better. I don't think it would have looked nearly as good if they translated it perfectly to the anime.

In fact I like almost all of the original content they added to the season so far.

My only real beef with this arc is how they put a really, really important scene AFTER the credits at the end of this most recent episode. I missed it originally and only happened to realize my mistake later by sheer luck. Marvel made this a thing, didn't they? loving Marvel.

Oh and I don't like how they include guns at all. But I get that it's in the manga. The implications are just wild though; we've already established that Gojo could barely sense Toji once he got worn down, why didn't he just use a sniper rifle at that point or something? Stupid. Leave guns out of it, sheesh.

Taima fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Jul 28, 2023

Tosk
Feb 22, 2013

I am sorry. I have no vices for you to exploit.

Have there been scenes after the credits this whole time? That was the first one I caught

Apprentice Dick
Dec 1, 2009
Gundam 00 did the after credits scene when season 2 aired and I though I was losing my mind because I was always missing some context.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

Apprentice Dick posted:

Gundam 00 did the after credits scene when season 2 aired and I though I was losing my mind because I was always missing some context.

Dude seriously. I thought I was going senile for a second when I saw part of the after credit scene on youtube and was just like "where the gently caress did this happen??" before it all clicked in my head what happened.

You can get away with that poo poo if it's non-essential but that scene is insanely important!!

Jerkface posted:

Having a continuation after the credits is not unique to marvel or a recent phenomenon.

I mean whatever. It's bad is the point, idc if mickey mouse did it in 1923

Is it so that people watch the credits or something? Trying to suss out the reasoning for bifurcating your own piece of art behind a wall like that :shrug:

Taima fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Jul 28, 2023

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Having a continuation after the credits is not unique to marvel or a recent phenomenon.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

What's the original content they've added?

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Mostly the toji vs geto fight. In the manga he just summoned rainbow dragon and then the scissors lady after it got killed quickly.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Maera Sior posted:

What's the original content they've added?

Everything up to the two ladies figuring out they're trapped in mansion in the first episode is original.

After that it's mostly just expanding on the manga. For example in the manga Gojo and Geto's conversation took place in the classroom and not the gym where they could show off their basketball skills.

Also while Geto and Toji's fight has the same skeleton as the manga the set piece is entirely new mind you the falling bridge is a badass backdrop.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Taima posted:

Oh and I don't like how they include guns at all. But I get that it's in the manga. The implications are just wild though; we've already established that Gojo could barely sense Toji once he got worn down, why didn't he just use a sniper rifle at that point or something? Stupid. Leave guns out of it, sheesh.

Gojo only dropped his guard once they were in Jujutsu High's barrier, meaning a long range attack would've needed to come from inside the premises. Sneaking in ahead of time to set up a sniper's nest would've increased Toji's chances of being detected, and there was no telling when and where or if Gojo would relax his Six Eyes.

Furthermore, Toji's only sure counter to Limitless was the Inverted Spear of Heaven. He planned the ambush around keeping up just enough pressure on Gojo where he'd be confident he could take Toji on his own, while also being on the backfoot and prone to making mistakes, which for Toji to capitalize on with the spear to score the kill necessitated him being close. And part of the contract was apparently to bring back Riko's corpse so he couldn't simply take a kill shot on her then skedaddle, either.

While successful sniping would've saved him a lot of effort, I think it reasonable for Toji to have believed this a gamble that'd put him in a somewhat worse position if it failed, and part of his character for the brief time we spend with him is that while he casually gambles away his money (and with awful luck) he's very cautious and meticulous in the way he approaches the job.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Taima posted:

My only real beef with this arc is how they put a really, really important scene AFTER the credits at the end of this most recent episode. I missed it originally and only happened to realize my mistake later by sheer luck. Marvel made this a thing, didn't they? loving Marvel.

Post credits bits have been used as comedy stingers for a (very) long time so it was only natural that after a while people would start going "but what if we used them for dramatic stingers?"

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
This season is loving lit, holy poo poo.

I'm honestly kind of tired of entire arcs going through the mentor's backstory trope in shounen, but gently caress it. When it's this level of quality. At this point I'm just watching this like it's a different anime set in the same universe as season 1.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

AlternateNu posted:

I'm honestly kind of tired of entire arcs going through the mentor's backstory trope in shounen, but gently caress it. When it's this level of quality. At this point I'm just watching this like it's a different anime set in the same universe as season 1.
I think there's probably only 1 episode of the backstop arc left either way.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀

AlternateNu posted:

Gojo is, in many ways, more of a protagonist of the story than many of the other characters

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

This flash back arc also sets up so much, as well as gives so much context to what we’ve already seen. It’s so well done and one of the many reasons I love this series.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

RillAkBea posted:

I think there's probably only 1 episode of the backstop arc left either way.

yep, and then a three week break before we rejoin the main characters

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Blockhouse posted:

yep, and then a three week break before we rejoin the main characters

aaaugh what?

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
This Gojo and Geto stuff is fine but everytime Shoko isn't on screen, someone should be asking "where's shoko?"

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡

Centzon Totochtin posted:

This Gojo and Geto stuff is fine but everytime Shoko isn't on screen, someone should be asking "where's shoko?"

in the opening and credits

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Centzon Totochtin posted:

:agreed:

papasyhotcakes
Oct 18, 2008
So I just started watching this the last month and what a great series. Just in time for season 2 to pick up steam even if I thought the throwaway comment of "oh the girl you almost died protecting? we had a spare" cheapened out a little bit what had just happened. I would have liked to see the consequences of the sacrifice not happening

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
The cheapening is the point. It makes her death senseless on top of tragic.