Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
Considering the lack of brown people and "is slavery bad?" premises in FF16, I don't have faith that Yoship and CBU3 can pull this off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Ojjeorago posted:

Considering the lack of brown people and "is slavery bad?" premises in FF16, I don't have faith that Yoship and CBU3 can pull this off.

???? Did you actually play ff16 or just read some dipshits twitter rant about it lol.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
There are dozens if not hundreds of First Nations communities in North America, all of which will have their own opinions on what good or acceptable representation will look like.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

There are dozens if not hundreds of First Nations communities in North America, all of which will have their own opinions on what good or acceptable representation will look like.

I think the issue is largely none of those voices are going to be in the room when any of this expansion is written, so it's going to be a loving minefield.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Blockhouse posted:

I think the issue is largely none of those voices are going to be in the room when any of this expansion is written, so it's going to be a loving minefield.

It'll be a minefield regardless, because even if you did have representation from some (or all), they're going to treat dress and iconography different from each other. What's good rep for one won't be for another, and there's no realistic way of having a solution that appeases every group.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

It'll be a minefield regardless, because even if you did have representation from some (or all), they're going to treat dress and iconography different from each other. What's good rep for one won't be for another, and there's no realistic way of having a solution that appeases every group.

Right, which is why I rather just...not. Inidgenous people are, understandably, pretty concerned about how they show up in pop culture! And to be honest I'm already wiped from the stupid FFXVI discourse I don't want round 2 when we see an artifact armor set with the big loving stereotypical feather headress and that becomes all people talk about for the next six months.

But who knows, that's all worst case scenario poo poo and maybe it won't play out like that.

Still rather have Meracydia.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Blockhouse posted:

Right, which is why I rather just...not. Inidgenous people are, understandably, pretty concerned about how they show up in pop culture! And to be honest I'm already wiped from the stupid FFXVI discourse I don't want round 2 when we see an artifact armor set with the big loving stereotypical feather headress and that becomes all people talk about for the next six months.

But who knows, that's all worst case scenario poo poo and maybe it won't play out like that.

Still rather have Meracydia.

We get both in 7.0.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ojjeorago posted:

Imagine how you'd feel if you played FFXVI instead of making poo poo up.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

ImpAtom posted:

Imagine how you'd feel if you played FFXVI instead of making poo poo up.
Twitter discourse is on a higher and truer phase of reality than our own, though now that it’s X, who knows?

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

FFXVI has its issues, but being ambiguous about the morality of slavery is certainly not one of them.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Also there's like, literally an entire nation of brown people in XVI, you spend a third of the game in it.

I, for one, look forward to seeing what noted megaracist Yoship would do with a New World expansion.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

theres more brown people in ff16 than ff14

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Just watch it turn out that the New World resembles the modern day Americas and the WoL goes to Actual New York City for a Parasite Eve-themed expansion.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Endorph posted:

theres more brown people in ff16 than ff14

Maybe before Endwalker that's true but the vast majority of the thavnair hyur are dark-skinned.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Blockhouse posted:

Maybe before Endwalker that's true but the vast majority of the thavnair hyur are dark-skinned.

But let's not forget - Thavnair also gave us smooth au ra

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Begemot posted:

FFXVI has its issues, but being ambiguous about the morality of slavery is certainly not one of them.
oh so they say it's just unambiguously good? wow. brb gotta make some tweets

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i did lol at the slave guy in the intro area whose job is to just stand next to a bush and magically water it for the rest of time. i get the idea but it just seemed like he was a pterodactyl from flintstones. its a living.

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

Great news,

Feast of Famine: Complete

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

TheWorldsaStage posted:

I remember the example of a lady on Twitter saying only certain cultures in Asian nations should celebrate Lunar New Year, or with permission if you weren't. A guy from one of those cultures then gave everyone who saw his tweet permission to celebrate it, because he wanted everyone to share in it and be a part of it.

It's the difference between being fiercely protective of something you see as your cultural identity and wanting to spread your culture to others so it becomes part of a larger culture.

Neither one is more right than the other, but you'll get people of the same culture with very different views on how it should be.

According from gamers not in the Global West, having X dress up in Y garb is a good way to promote Y garb.

Westerners have got it all wrong.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
My feel on the New World is that so far, it's basically existed as 'Distant Fantasy Americas And Also Blue Mage Is There', so it's been painted in broad and relatively simple strokes, but by going there they'd be able to give it a lot more depth. Similar to how Thavnair existed as a pretty generic 'Fantasy India And Also Alchemy Happens There' until we actually went there and it got more unique stuff.

Regalingualius posted:

It always struck me as kind of weirdly hilarious that everyone immediately started calling it Etheirys as soon as Urianger had that revelation

This one definitely comes from an out-of-game perspective from the need to differentiate Hydaelyn The Planet from Hydaelyn The Crystal Mom in a story where they're both factors, but I always feel like in-universe it came from the innate Sharlayan desire to be know-it-alls, and they were all using it in hopes they'd be able to pull out a 'well actually'.

Basically the same thing with dynamis, with the extra cultural edge of 'Sharlayan doesn't want to admit another country figured something out before them so they're desperately trying to make sure akasa doesn't catch on'.

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

It's just the usual crop of trolls and low lifes essaying to destroy the harmony between the post-sundered peoples of Eorzea.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Ojjeorago posted:

Considering the lack of brown people and "is slavery bad?" premises in FF16

STop getting your opinions about a game you didn't play from other even dumber people online that also didn't play it because from minute 1 the "Is Slavery Bad?" question in ff16 is answered "Yes. It's horrific. And we're gonna free the magic havers from being human tools and build a new nation and world where they can be free." it's the loving base goddamn motivation for the protagonists and his mentor figures. You dumbass.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I think we're going to have a split expansion with half of it in the new world and the other half wherever Erenville is going

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

FuturePastNow posted:

I think we're going to have a split expansion with half of it in the new world and the other half wherever Erenville is going

Because splitting the story between expansions is always great and never results in all locations involved being undercooked

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

FuturePastNow posted:

Erenville is going to Golmore, he's probably the final Variant Dungeon tbh. But also, Golmore could easily be the way we go down to Meracydia/the New World, since the closest port to both is in the southern tip of Golmore Jungle.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

So I have this theory about the Expansion Color

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Hogama posted:

TheWorldsaStage fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Jul 28, 2023

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Hogama posted:

Not sure I buy all the connections here, but nice catch nevertheless.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Oh right, I forgot about Golden Dhyata modeled after Quimbaya artifacts from Colombia, another connection with the New World

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Goldblingers

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
it is then revealed that Godbert Manderville suffered a tragic smelting accident... His new name is Goldbert Memberville.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

She, laughing in mockery, changed herself into a wren and flew away.
What's the colour of Endwalker?

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
I can't believe I forgot him in my corkboard.

lines posted:

Platinum. YoshiP said that one of the reasons he chose it, in particular, was obviously because of the moon, how it can glow as bright as platinum at a glance. But also that he wants us to revisit the color after finishing the game and how it connects to the main themes.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

lines posted:

There's quite a lot of purple I guess.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
The new job is Ezio?

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

lmfao

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
When Yoshi-P was talking about how the graphics will update the look of the characters but they might not all get the glow-up at once, someone asked if we could update Teldejii one half at a time. :allears:

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
https://twitter.com/FF_XIV_EN/status/1685002816606330882

The quick round-up post from the keynote for more convenient review.

Dawntrail ("FFXIV: Gilded Legacy" as they translated the Japanese subtitle) is due out Summer 2024.

We're headed to Tural (formerly known to us as the "New World") with our Scion pals and Erenville, who appears to originally hail from across the ocean. Apparently we're getting wrapped up in an competition that involves Gulool Ja Ja finding a successor by contest, whatever's up with the City of Gold, and the Scions finding themselves on different sides (perhaps related to the varying invitations?).

Yok Tural is the main "greater region" they showcased (akin to, say, the Black Shroud, Gyr Abania, etc.), and Tuliyollal will be our Hub city (in the manner of Kugane, Old Sharlayan, etc.) for the expansion.

Two zones shown off are Urqopacha, a mountainous region featuring ruins that belonged to a massive race that once ruled the region, and Yak T'el, a dense tropical forest home to Mamool Ja and Hrothgar alike.

One of the new Allied Tribes in the expansions is the Pelupelu, whom players may recognize from Final Fantasy X. They're small, they're skilled traders, and their home base of operations is in Urqopacha.

Onto systems updates:

Level cap will be reaching 100 (check out the new AF concept art), and there will be two (2) jobs this expansion, both DPS - 1 Melee, 1 Magical Ranged. (Melee is almost certainly a Scouting job, looking kind of like Hollywood WoL is something like a Corsair, and there's some guessing on the other based on YoshiP's shirt - maybe Green Mage because Ninja Turtles are green, or Pictomancer because the Ninja Turtles are all named after famed artists; good bet that Krile is the Casting job and they didn't show her parts in the teaser because it'd give it away completely).

A lot of the usual stuff is noted, just to reassure people they're still there. Got a couple of dungeon concept art snippets, and one of the Trials is going to be Valigarmanda. Duty Support will have more new characters in it and possibly some new wrinkles but YoshiP couldn't really elaborate because it's all story-related. But hey, also some Hand/Land AF.

We'll get something in the 7.x series akin to Island Sanctuary. The new Alliance Raid is "going to be extra Final Fantasy-ish". The card is singular but YoshiP talked about Ultimate Raids, plural? Frontlines and Rival Wings will get new maps. We will get something in the Deep Dungeon niche, but it may not be exactly like anything we currently have, they're still working on it.

Graphical update is coming! The first is going to focus on materials, lighting, shadows, and hair/plant rendering. Player models are the priority focus for character work - unique/enemy models might be taking longer (though any NPC using the player model system will get updated as a matter of course). There were a few videos but I don't see them uploaded yet as of this writing.

Some BIG glamor changes! (lol the hollering for TWO DYE CHANNELS was the loudest of all) But all these graphical changes WILL entail some beefing up of the minimum/recommended system requirements. They're not dropping PS4 support this expansion, though.

A really promising in-game raid planner tool was shown. And the Free Trial now goes through Stormblood as of 6.5!

A Fall Guys cross collaboration is ALSO coming, with FFXIV character costumes/emotes for Fall Guys and a Fall Guys-inspired new attraction at the Gold Saucer!

FFXIV for XBox.

That's it until October! Tomorrow is a Live Letter for 6.5.

Hogama fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Jul 28, 2023

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
The Fall Guys side of the collab is uninteresting to me, but if the stuff they add to the Gold Saucer is cool, I hope it stays permanently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Awesome, ty for rounding all that up Hogama!