Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Adun posted:

Swapping Colorado for SMU seems like a pretty good trade for the Pac to put a team in Texas.

What's the prize for putting a team in Texas

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

General Dog posted:

What's the prize for putting a team in Texas

Improved recruiting chances.

THIS_IS_FINE
May 21, 2001

Slippery Tilde
Does the PAC scramble and add a bunch of teams to survive? Based on what they've done so far(absolutely nothing), I would be surprised. Especially with Cal and Stanford unwilling to look past academics for years. If a couple more teams ditch I think it's really dead. loving sad.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

THIS_IS_FINE posted:

Does the PAC scramble and add a bunch of teams to survive? Based on what they've done so far(absolutely nothing), I would be surprised. Especially with Cal and Stanford unwilling to look past academics for years. If a couple more teams ditch I think it's really dead. loving sad.

Oregon had a BoT meeting that wasn't scheduled before Wednesday apparently yesterday and didn't immediately jump ship, so that part is...goodish?

For the other Oregon school from the Athletic's roundup of news: 'Oregon State’s leadership voiced its commitment to the Pac-12 on Friday.'

Oh...good. That'll get it done. Iowa State approves of this this type of statement when things are going to poo poo.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

THIS_IS_FINE posted:

They put out a press release last night saying they were going to expand, but did not give a timetable.

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

PAC-12 just feels like a dead man walking. I think they can patch things up short term by adding SDSU, but losing USC and UCLA is just simply insurmountable.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Komet posted:

PAC-12 just feels like a dead man walking. I think they can patch things up short term by adding SDSU, but losing USC and UCLA is just simply insurmountable.

I guess it just depends on your definition of "death". I think there's a conference called the Pac-something in 15 years, but that conference may well be Oregon State, Wazzu, Cal, and and some combination of MWC and AAC randos (Stanford is an independent for some reason in this reality)

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

I still think the endgame is some kind of merger between what’s left of the PAC and the MWC. Dunno what that looks like (PAC remnants join MWC? Both conferences dissolve and reform as a new one ala the Big 12 in ‘96?). But at least Cal, Oregon State, and Washington State will be playing Boise et al. with some regularity in the future.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Komet posted:

PAC-12 is going to be similar to the Big 12. I think the Big 12 is in a little better shape, but we lost all of our big name teams over the last 10ish years. We're not going to pull quite as many viewers as the SEC and Big 10, but we're still way better than the G5. PAC-12 probably ends up the same way, as long as they can get a few decent teams like SDSU, and Fresno State, maybe Boise State too.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Bird in a Blender posted:

PAC-12 is going to be similar to the Big 12. I think the Big 12 is in a little better shape, but we lost all of our big name teams over the last 10ish years. We're not going to pull quite as many viewers as the SEC and Big 10, but we're still way better than the G5. PAC-12 probably ends up the same way, as long as they can get a few decent teams like SDSU, and Fresno State, maybe Boise State too.

It all depends on if the 9 stay together or not. Adding SDSU, Fresno, Boise, SMU, and Tulane to UO, UW, Arizona, ASU, and Utah feels a lot different than adding those teams + some to Cal, Oregon State, and Wazzou.

Stick together and you have a conference that matches the quality of the Big XII in most sports, though may still have a lower per-school payout. Break apart and you are the MWC, a decided tier down from the Big XII and ACC.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

kayakyakr posted:

It all depends on if the 9 stay together or not. Adding SDSU, Fresno, Boise, SMU, and Tulane to UO, UW, Arizona, ASU, and Utah feels a lot different than adding those teams + some to Cal, Oregon State, and Wazzou.

Stick together and you have a conference that matches the quality of the Big XII in most sports, though may still have a lower per-school payout. Break apart and you are the MWC, a decided tier down from the Big XII and ACC.

Yeah if they hang tight they'll be ok picking up whoever, but I still feel like UO and UW are a ticking time bomb and it's just a matter of time. Unless this TV/streaming deal ends up way better than it seems it will.

e: this mf said ticking time bomb and it's just a matter of time

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Jul 28, 2023

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

I'm just kind of baffled what happens to Oregon and Washington if the Big Ten truly isn't interested (or at least isn't interested enough to vote them in). Do we end up with something goofy like Oregon, Washington, Cal, and Stanford joining the ACC?

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I still think there's something holding the Big Ten back from outright killing the Pac xx but will have no problem being like "oh no it died, guess we have to strip the body for parts what a shame."

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
I'm just waiting to play in the SEC Classic division.

We still have not hosted Texas A& M

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

Sash! posted:

I still think there's something holding the Big Ten back from outright killing the Pac xx but will have no problem being like "oh no it died, guess we have to strip the body for parts what a shame."

Taking USC and UCLA was already the coup de grace.

I think the reason the Big Ten hasn't moved further in grabbing Oregon and Washington is because what it really wants is Notre Dame. If the Big Ten can coax Notre Dame by bringing in Stanford, they will absolutely take Stanford, Oregon, and Washington.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Expanding into a super conference then breaking into regional subconferences like :aaaaa: forever and ever

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

JesustheDarkLord posted:

Jesus, really? I knew LSU @ Mizzou was projected way out before Covid season happened but that’s crazy.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Only way to get back to regionalism is an all FBS (or whatever they’re calling it now I forget) TV deal and that’s obviously not gonna happen.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

General Dog posted:

I'm just kind of baffled what happens to Oregon and Washington if the Big Ten truly isn't interested (or at least isn't interested enough to vote them in). Do we end up with something goofy like Oregon, Washington, Cal, and Stanford joining the ACC?

They probably just stay in a weak PAC-10

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Only way to get back to regionalism is an all FBS (or whatever they’re calling it now I forget) TV deal and that’s obviously not gonna happen.

We’ll end up with 3 or 4 mega conferences who will then split up into regional divisions.

downout
Jul 6, 2009

Why does Boise not join the big12? Why go all the way to pac12?

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Speaking of, is it just the cat got out of the bag in the 90s on conferences negotiating their own TV deals? I'm kinda surprised the NCAA hasn't swooped in on that now that you allude to it.

maxallen
Nov 22, 2006

Dango Bango posted:

Speaking of, is it just the cat got out of the bag in the 90s on conferences negotiating their own TV deals? I'm kinda surprised the NCAA hasn't swooped in on that now that you allude to it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NCAA_v._Board_of_Regents_of_the_University_of_Oklahoma

TLDR: the NCAA did at one point control tv broadcasts, some major schools rebelled, the NCAA threatened sanctions, went to the Supreme Court, Supreme Court ruled that they were in violation of the Sherman antitrust act

TheAlmightyFrog
Oct 7, 2007

squeeeak

JesustheDarkLord posted:

A&M has not played at Kentucky yet either. Surprised there's still 2 schools, is it more?

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

downout posted:

Big12 can do better. All Boise has is football on a blue turf. None of the other athletic programs are notable, they have gently caress all media market, the only corporate associates would be like Micron and Albertsons (until the sale to Kroger is completed), and they would have the smallest stadium in the conference. Any other school would likely beat them on every other metric aside from ‘football’.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Robert Facepalmer posted:

Big12 can do better. All Boise has is football on a blue turf. None of the other athletic programs are notable, they have gently caress all media market, the only corporate associates would be like Micron and Albertsons (until the sale to Kroger is completed), and they would have the smallest stadium in the conference. Any other school would likely beat them on every other metric aside from ‘football’.

Boise probably has a larger football fanbase than Baylor. I'll give you that is the only sport they are good at but conference realignment is about football above all else. You'd have to assume Boise's other athletics could improve if their athletic department had access to more money.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Boise is also really loving far away. Like Provo is already far, Boise is another 400 miles or so further from any other big 12 team. Also in a state with fuckall for recruiting.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Football rules money as always, but the Big 12 seems to be looking for basketball for any fringe cases apparently if they can't grab more Pac teams? At least if we believe the leaks.

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

Spacebump posted:

Boise probably has a larger football fanbase than Baylor.

I highly doubt that. I’d be willing to bet they aren’t even the most popular college team in the state. Even in the Treasure Valley, it seems like there is just as much BYU support.

drunk leprechaun
May 7, 2007
sobriety is for the weak and the stupid

downout posted:

Why would the big12 add them? It's a two way thing. You need the invite to join a conference. Otherwise you end up with a Mizzou B10, SDSU P12, or whatever situation. Boise is gonna go to whichever bigger conference offera them. poo poo they were in the Big East for a second.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

downout posted:

I don't quite grasp your geographic premise here either. In the Pac-12 Boise would be 295 miles from the closest school, within 500 miles of three others, and 1000 miles from the most distant. In the Big 12 they're 382 miles from the closest school, 800 miles from the next closest, and 2600 miles from the most distant.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Hawaii to Big 12 you heard it here first

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug

General Dog posted:

I don't quite grasp your geographic premise here either. In the Pac-12 Boise would be 295 miles from the closest school, within 500 miles of three others, and 1000 miles from the most distant. In the Big 12 they're 382 miles from the closest school, 800 miles from the next closest, and 2600 miles from the most distant.

I think their other sports are bad enough they’ll struggle to find a home long term.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I can always spot a fellow Californian by the distinct lack of geographical knowledge.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR
I'm glad Rice at least bothered to fill out the application, but I can't imagine they have much of a chance: a tiny G5 school with a tiny fanbase (probably not even in the top 10 teams in their own city), and a stone's throw from another Big 12 member so they don't add any geographical diversity

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Incoherence posted:

I'm glad Rice at least bothered to fill out the application, but I can't imagine they have much of a chance: a tiny G5 school with a tiny fanbase (probably not even in the top 10 teams in their own city), and a stone's throw from another Big 12 member so they don't add any geographical diversity

The possible world where Rice made it into the Big 12 instead of Baylor is a fascinating thing to think about.

Are they just Vandy? Do they actually get money and let some stuff slide and get at least kinda good at football?

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

Grittybeard posted:

The possible world where Rice made it into the Big 12 instead of Baylor is a fascinating thing to think about.

Are they just Vandy? Do they actually get money and let some stuff slide and get at least kinda good at football?

It'd be Vandy with the Stanford band.

downout
Jul 6, 2009

General Dog posted:

It's this. My grasp of geography is :frogdunce:

For some reason I was imagining Idaho being closer to Wisconsin. It is not.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

downout posted:

It's this. My grasp of geography is :frogdunce:

For some reason I was imagining Idaho being closer to Wisconsin. It is not.

Yeah. Montana is wide. Like Charlie Weis wide.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

It would have been easier to just say "Boise is actually west of Las Vegas."