Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
If a horror movie has above a 2.1 onLetterboxd it's got a chance of being solid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Basebf555 posted:

Had a feeling that Hellraiser set would be UK only, I feel like they previously had a Hellraiser release that was also UK only due to rights issues. Probably won't end up getting it just because I imagine the price is already gonna be pretty high without the cost of importing.

well son of a bitch, clive barker owns the US rights

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/business/business-news/hellraiser-writer-reclaiming-u-s-franchise-rights-after-lawsuit-settlement-4098688/

honestly, good for him. but the current holder retaining in the UK maybe why they are seeing releases and NA hasn't..c'mon clive, give criterion a crack at this

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
pretty sure those rights only pertain to current trademarks and future films, but the original movies remain with their owners. arrow has remastered blurays of both films available in the US.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
From the wording of the article it looks like he gets the copyright back on that first movie as the writer-director, and the previous holder who bought it themselves anyway, agreed to retain international rights while he gets US starting from 2021, which would jive with no US release of these..did the arrow BD's come out before Dec. 19, 2021 (when he got US rights back)?

e: i'm really considering importing and just throwing 3 and 4 on ebay for someone who digs those to grab

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

There was a Barnes and Noble in the mall where I saw Oppenheimer at so I stopped by for one last indulgence in the sale. Picked up Wages of Fear and Army of Shadows.

Now bring on the Arrow sale so I can get GOOD movies

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.
Arrow seems to have really slowed their roll with the number of new releases relative to last year; anyone have any insight on that?

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Just gimme a standalone release of Hellbound and I'm cool.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Roth posted:

There was a Barnes and Noble in the mall where I saw Oppenheimer at so I stopped by for one last indulgence in the sale. Picked up Wages of Fear and Army of Shadows.

Now bring on the Arrow sale so I can get GOOD movies

Arrow's sale has also been ongoing this month, it ends after the 31st (Criterion's ends after today)

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Chris James 2 posted:

Arrow's sale has also been ongoing this month, it ends after the 31st (Criterion's ends after today)

how'd everyone do in these sales?

i went

criterion: branded to kill, seventh seal, breathless, time bandits, and malcolm x (this one was backordered until mid august, which is pretty cool, its a great film)
KL: night of the hunter

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
I skipped the kino, b&n, and arrow sales this go around.

I did get this in tho

big boi
Jun 11, 2007

Happy Hippo posted:

Thanks. I just picked it up along with Paths of Glory, both blind buys since I've somehow never seen either movie

Great movies, and I probably shouldn't tell you that Paths of Glory has a 4k release that look amazing.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I made a couple rules for myself, only buy movies in person at my local B&N, no online purchases, and stick to old white guy movies. I really thought that would limit my purchases to a reasonable amount. Didn't work out like that.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Moonrise Kingdom, Grand Budapest Hotel, Repo Man, Thin Red Line

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

I got my last pick of the sale, Pink Flamingos, last night. Absolutely gorgeous slipcover. In the end I got Pink Flamingos, Multiple Maniacs, Do The Right Thing, Fire Walk With Me, House, Crumb, Mulholland Drive, Eraserhead, In The Mood For Love, and the Bruce Lee collection. I was going to get Double Indemnity but found a different release at a thrift store I liked just as much, and Dr. Strangelove I want to get the 4K UHD release because I actually like the cover more and the features are the same. I did make a big list of future gifts for family and friends to get me, though, like Shaft.

The KL sale was nice, too, with Night Of The Hunter, Barton Fink, Highway to Hell, and Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind.

We're just 9 movies away from completing our favorite movies checklist, not counting the ones in the mail. Been a fun project, and looking forward to upgrading certain pickups as time marches on.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
When it came time to finally pull the trigger on the Dollars Trilogy, I stumbled across the Dr Phibes blu that I somehow missed before. I was all over that poo poo, still haven't seen the sequel but the original is one of my favorites.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
Totally blanked on my VS sale purchase. My copy of Scanner Cop shipped!

Activia
Apr 13, 2022

Goal: some kind of neat moth

TheScott2K posted:

I badly need some Wes Anderson movies in 4k

DrObrero
Sep 7, 2022

feedmyleg posted:

If a horror movie has above a 2.1 onLetterboxd it's got a chance of being solid.

As the one man in existence who really enjoys "Resident Evil: Welcome to Racoon City" I agree

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

VS sent out an account invite for me to their smut store. Launches Aug 1st.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

Not about movies, but I figured this place would know the answer. Just picked up a dvd set of an old show, and the dvds came in one of those lovely "epik pak" dvd cases. How the gently caress am I supposed to take out or put in a dvd from one of these things? I haven't been able to and am worried about breaking the loving discs in half.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

SRS Cinema is so loving weird! Every month I get their new releases announcement and it's always microbudget CGI shark movies and microbudget slashers, just unwatchable garbage. But once like every 8 months they get some insane deepcut Kaiju movie that I must have. This time, it's Whale God (aka Killer Whale, aka Kujira Gami), a 1962 adaptation of Moby Dick written by the guy who wrote Onibaba and Kuroneko

https://srscinemastore.com/collections/new/products/whale-god-blu-ray

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

TheScott2K posted:

Just remembered I also got the Jackie Chan 2-pack. they fuckin got me good, man

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

Kay Kessler posted:

Not about movies, but I figured this place would know the answer. Just picked up a dvd set of an old show, and the dvds came in one of those lovely "epik pak" dvd cases. How the gently caress am I supposed to take out or put in a dvd from one of these things? I haven't been able to and am worried about breaking the loving discs in half.

You just gotta get good, I don't really know how to describe it. They're not great case design. I only have two (Broad City complete series and a Beavis and Butt-Head set on loan from a friend). Press those hubs inward, once you figure it out it works.

I'm really happy I already have the first four BC seasons in individual cases, I only need to go at this clumsy set for S5 and the exclusive bonus disc.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

just use some force, you're not going to break the disk.

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010
We’ve talked about the Mill Creek Ultraman steel books right? I had to get a multidisc case to hold the discs because I was in serious danger of snapping them every single time I wanted to watch an ep. Ultraman fuckin kicks rear end tho

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

PinkoBastard posted:

We’ve talked about the Mill Creek Ultraman steel books right? I had to get a multidisc case to hold the discs because I was in serious danger of snapping them every single time I wanted to watch an ep. Ultraman fuckin kicks rear end tho

Oh yeah those are severe motherfuckers. I've only gotten through disc one of the first series (Ultra 7?) and I am not looking forward to having to prise disc two out.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

zer0spunk posted:

how'd everyone do in these sales?

Against my better wants, I managed to hold off in the name of being responsible and paying off my student loans (1 down, 1 to go within the next week or two)

I just got notification of a big VS order shipping that I forgot about, and also they're announcing like 16 new releases Tuesday, so I wouldn't say I completely avoided being stupid, just being completely stupid (For now. I already think I'm going to make up for it in October/November :negative:)

Chris James 2 fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Jul 29, 2023

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

Gripweed posted:

SRS Cinema is so loving weird! Every month I get their new releases announcement and it's always microbudget CGI shark movies and microbudget slashers, just unwatchable garbage. But once like every 8 months they get some insane deepcut Kaiju movie that I must have. This time, it's Whale God (aka Killer Whale, aka Kujira Gami), a 1962 adaptation of Moby Dick written by the guy who wrote Onibaba and Kuroneko

https://srscinemastore.com/collections/new/products/whale-god-blu-ray

Thanks for this! SRS was under my radar so I scooped up a few kaiju movies, including that one.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Kay Kessler posted:

lol I just today received a box set of Justified and it's in one of those stupid cases. it's got two discs stacked on top of each other in multiple places and I thought for sure I was going to snap a disc in half trying to get it out. What a lovely design.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Yeah I’m not a fan of that multi disc design even when it’s blu rays. My TOS and TNG Star streak blu ray sets have like 8 discs per side and then two “pages” inside with more discs on each side of those and it feels like they’re just gonna fall off and rattle around in the case. I guess I’m less worried than dvds like that since blu rays seem pretty durable.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Boywhiz88 posted:

EDIT: just threw on the To Live and Die in LA UHD. Jesus Christ it POPS w Dolby Vision.

Does anyone here stick w original audio tracks on purpose? I threw on the 2.0 because my rear speakers still aren’t setup, so why not. Sounds great even without the extra pop of the bass, etc.

I know some people can be real sticklers about that kind of thing, and after the Batman 1989 UHD sound stuff w the effects on the Atmos track, I totally understand.

I like original mixes where available. Sometimes, the remixes are okay, but some of them are done without any care.

A great example of this is Jaws. The original mono track has real weight and heft to it. The surround makes it sound like someone dropped a glass when the shark smashed through the boat.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Cemetry Gator posted:

I like original mixes where available. Sometimes, the remixes are okay, but some of them are done without any care.

A great example of this is Jaws. The original mono track has real weight and heft to it. The surround makes it sound like someone dropped a glass when the shark smashed through the boat.

It's me, I'm the person that got so used to modern mixes and dialogue always coming from the center channel that I just flip on the receiver's dolby logic and upmix 2.1/2.0/1.0 tracks. Sorry :negative:

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play
Well HMV know how to get my money - by having another Arrow sale. King of New York is the first 4K disc I've bought that has the slimmer US-style case which I've had on a few other releases. Of the Blaxploitation genre I've only seen Coffy (watched it last year with Pam Grier herself introducing the film and doing a Q&A afterwards), so I'm looking forward to seeing Foxy Brown. I also bought The Holy Mountain recently so depending on intense El Topo is I might make a double bill out of it.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
Anyone pick up that Shaw Brothers set that Shout Factory released last month? Curious how it compares to the Arrow Shawscope sets. I’m currently working my way through them both and I know I’ll want more when I’m done.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

https://twitter.com/dawnofthediscs/status/1685506558799626240?s=46&t=wbUf_u7uOvtvxKOmB6dAHQ

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Definitely grabbing The Blob when it’s cheap

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Glad I held off on buying Pumpkinhead even though the steelbook looked nice.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
anyone picking up the Junk Head BD that just came out? Curious if that's a decent release or not..I copped the Mad God steel after sitting on the fence for a while..

Also waiting on the Venture Bros BD, amazon couldn't secure those for release date ala KL and SF stuff..only this is warner discovery..wondering if they didn't produce a ton of these or something..figured I'd get ahead of the eventual removal of all things VB down the line because WBD is a bunch of assclowns.

e: also, i started doing the amazon gift bag thing I do with books on someone else's advice and it's made a ton of difference on things in cardboard cases instead of plastics (criterion digipacks, etc). Instead of the padded mailer it forces them to toss it in a box, and unlike books, they even wrap the thing in tissue paper inside of the cloth gift bag mailer. Yeah, a 4 dollar don't break my poo poo fee sucks, but it's less annoying than having to make a post office trip for returns.

e2: looks like junk head got moved to mid august..I think there's a french BD already, but this is the first time it's seen region A since release in 2017

zer0spunk fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Jul 30, 2023

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

https://twitter.com/umbrellaent/status/1685840791720390658?s=46&t=wbUf_u7uOvtvxKOmB6dAHQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
What's the best route to sell off sealed standard editions of things I've double-dipped on? Ebay? SAmart?