Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

This game is becoming miserable bullshit solo. The bosses feel very cheap and unfun. This Sha' hala boss has almost soured me on it. These attack patterns aare trash and way too hard to dodge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

veni veni veni posted:

This game is becoming miserable bullshit solo. The bosses feel very cheap and unfun. This Sha' hala boss has almost soured me on it. These attack patterns aare trash and way too hard to dodge.

I wish fewer games were tuned around dodge rolls having I-frames, it really feels like it induces the developers to make really dumb boss fights, and it's definitely my least favorite part about this game by far

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

there are some design choices I'm really questioning. The absolutely glacial heal time and reload time makes no sense to me in a game that expects me to jump around all the time. It takes like 4x as long as using an estus flask. Why? I don't understand why they would do that. So far all of the bosses have sucked, but this one has given me buyers remorse, like I straight up regret buying this game now. It'a hard in a way that feels so cheap and unfun. I don't even think I like the game anymore.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

veni veni veni posted:

Definitely my least favorite boss, besides the final one.

On top of all their normal attacks being annoying and constant, it felt like the black hole attack could(and did) just spawn on me and instantly kill me. Or maybe I missed an obvious tell. At least the beam attacks had a visual and audio cue for when you should dodge.

veni veni veni posted:

there are some design choices I'm really questioning. The absolutely glacial heal time and reload time makes no sense to me in a game that expects me to jump around all the time. It takes like 4x as long as using an estus flask. Why? I don't understand why they would do that. So far all of the bosses have sucked, but this one has given me buyers remorse, like I straight up regret buying this game now. It'a hard in a way that feels so cheap and unfun. I don't even think I like the game anymore.

I completely agree about the slow relic use speed. They should've just made it faster and cut out all the things to increase the use speed. Just a bad design choice there.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I didn't realize until googling just now that the biomes are random so apparently it's not a sure thing you have to fight this guy after playing for less than 3 hours. This really doesn't feel like a boss I should have to fight as a level 4 character. Honestly it doesn't even feel like "dang I'll get him next time" it's more like I just die instantly.

I'm still not sure how this game works. It's sort of confusing. Can I do other stuff and come back to him because screw fighting this thing.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Has anyone seen this problem with the Cipher Rod in the Labyrinth? All guides say "just fall through the portal and there will be a bridge" well... there isn't a bridge? Or I think I saw one start to spawn before I died, its like 3 feet to the right. The portal doesn't preserve momentum, so jumping through at an angle doesn't let me land on it. I just fall straight down and miss it.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

A Moose posted:

Has anyone seen this problem with the Cipher Rod in the Labyrinth? All guides say "just fall through the portal and there will be a bridge" well... there isn't a bridge? Or I think I saw one start to spawn before I died, its like 3 feet to the right. The portal doesn't preserve momentum, so jumping through at an angle doesn't let me land on it. I just fall straight down and miss it.

The terrain spawns under you as you're falling if you do it at the right time and then you safely land on it. It sounds like you have the right one if you're seeing it spawn in, you're just going into the portal slightly too late, if you see it's changing to the right area then you can count 3 seconds and jump in and that should be good.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

A Moose posted:

i jumped maybe a second after it switched to that one, and landed on the ledge. you can't see it from the portals view

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

thebardyspoon posted:

The terrain spawns under you as you're falling if you do it at the right time and then you safely land on it. It sounds like you have the right one if you're seeing it spawn in, you're just going into the portal slightly too late, if you see it's changing to the right area then you can count 3 seconds and jump in and that should be good.

Yeah, waiting did it. I think the portal you come out of is moving. Now I'm on to the other one, where you have to nail the dead center of a horizontal portal from like 200 feet up. If you wait for it to line up, that's when it changes to the next one. There is no air control. you can't stand to the side of the portal and jump either because you always come out of the middle of the portal. This one is hard.

I made the jump once! And died to fall damage on the edge of the portal

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Thank god. The tried and true “bitch online and you’ll get it the next try” worked.

I think he took me about 15 tries but I’ve done dark souls bosses that took me 75 and didn’t annoy me that much. Straight up one of the worst game bosses I’ve ever seen.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

A Moose posted:

Yeah, waiting did it. I think the portal you come out of is moving. Now I'm on to the other one, where you have to nail the dead center of a horizontal portal from like 200 feet up. If you wait for it to line up, that's when it changes to the next one. There is no air control. you can't stand to the side of the portal and jump either because you always come out of the middle of the portal. This one is hard.

I made the jump once! And died to fall damage on the edge of the portal

you gotta time it so you enter basically as the screen is going white/transitioning, and you'll amke it in.

that or be a challenger and hit the edge and revive (I think theres a ring that does it too?)

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

veni veni veni posted:

I didn't realize until googling just now that the biomes are random so apparently it's not a sure thing you have to fight this guy after playing for less than 3 hours. This really doesn't feel like a boss I should have to fight as a level 4 character. Honestly it doesn't even feel like "dang I'll get him next time" it's more like I just die instantly.

I'm still not sure how this game works. It's sort of confusing. Can I do other stuff and come back to him because screw fighting this thing.

Your first level can be picked from one of three. And in that biome, it can randomly generate one of two main quests. iirc only the 2nd and 5th levels are set.
I don't know if you have the option to reroll your campaign yet, but otherwise yea you would've been stuck there. You can do other things in that biome, but that boss would have always been the final one. Rerolling your campaign completely resets all your progress, but you keep your loot.

veni veni veni posted:

Thank god. The tried and true “bitch online and you’ll get it the next try” worked.

I think he took me about 15 tries but I’ve done dark souls bosses that took me 75 and didn’t annoy me that much. Straight up one of the worst game bosses I’ve ever seen.

:toot:

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Has anyone figured out how blood moons work? Can you force one by teleporting in, or are they on a timer? How long do they last? can they appear in adventure mode?

I've been teleporting between n'erud and Yaesha because an article said teleporting to another world (not earth) can reset it, but maybe he just did it right when it came off cooldown or something. Either that or its stupidly rare, less than 5% chance. I suspect everyone gets a free guaranteed one the first time they go to Yaesha in campaign, so that's how we know they exist.

My personal theory is that going to Yaesha starts a timer from a random time, and when that timer hits 0, a blood moon happens, but you don't see it until you trigger a loading screen and come out in an overworld area. That's why people are claiming you don't need to leave yaesha, and some people are saying you do. You can just keep teleporting between yaesha and another non-ward world until you get a timer that starts at 0, giving you a blood moon right away, but that's super unlikely and would take a very, very long time, hours of doing nothing but teleporting probably.

A Moose fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Jul 28, 2023

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.
I'm fine with a trait cap, but 60 is just slightly too restrictive. I'd be much happier with 85 or, ideally, a nice even 100 (which would still force you to make a lot of choices. There are a lot of traits, but it'd let you have some minor focus elsewhere to round things out, which is good in my opinion).

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Darth Walrus posted:

I liked having a high/nonexistent perk ceiling in Remnant 1 because it gave me a sense of constant forward progression even in the extreme lategame, let me dip my toes into stranger and more situational perks without any opportunity cost, and ensured that I always had the skills to make proper use of the shiny new toys I earned.

This is my stance too. You also weren't 'hurting' yourself the same way when a point went into a non-optimal or niche trait, since the only thing it competed with was the next skillbook you found.
If all of the options were worthwhile a cap makes sense for deliberate choices, otherwise it's just false choice and busywork. Then again gamers love that poo poo.

Diephoon posted:

It's a co-op game. Do you think it would be a good experience for new players to have to grind 3k hours to catch up to old player power levels? How do you balance around that when you are making a new DLC area? Even in a non competitive game it's not fun to have some overpowered person come in and play the entire game for you.

Clearly they do not want you to break the game like this. They want the game to remain challenging and that is why they are working with a trait cap.
It works fine for warframe, and souls games have also always had people who find ways to game the system to come back and help (or hurt) lowbies.
I also played remnant 1 very late in its life cycle and never particularly felt the random people who joined ruined the game for me.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

A Moose posted:

Has anyone figured out how blood moons work? Can you force one by teleporting in, or are they on a timer? How long do they last? can they appear in adventure mode?

I've been teleporting between n'erud and Yaesha because an article said teleporting to another world (not earth) can reset it, but maybe he just did it right when it came off cooldown or something. Either that or its stupidly rare, less than 5% chance. I suspect everyone gets a free guaranteed one the first time they go to Yaesha in campaign, so that's how we know they exist.

Apparently they can spawn anytime you zone into Yaesha. Either from Ward 13, another world or between zones in Yaesha itself. From what I've read it seems like the way to do it is just going back and forth from the first half and second half areas of Yaesha repeatedly. For me this was going between the Forbidden Grove(1) and Faithless Thicket(2).

Note: I haven't gotten it to spawn yet and got bored after like 15 mins of trying.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC
I’ve always gotten them randomly but once you get one it’s easy to farm everything you need in one go.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
just did the abomination boss in n'erud, holy poo poo gently caress that guy

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

If there weren't a bunch of other classes to find I would be annoyed by this explanation but honestly respect lmao

https://twitter.com/verytragic/status/1685041503767252992

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Yeah that owns.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Tabletops posted:

just did the abomination boss in n'erud, holy poo poo gently caress that guy

You aint seen nothin yet

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
shar'hala only became doable when i realized the "black hole" doubles as a weak spot. didn't think to shoot it at first

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Will the area always be one level above my level, or is that a signal to upgrade my weapons?

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

The Lone Badger posted:

Will the area always be one level above my level, or is that a signal to upgrade my weapons?

Signal to upgrade stuff I believe. On my medic where I never die outside of bosses so don't rerun much stuff I'm consistently 2+ below new zones, on my gunslinger who I'm dying a ton or running out of relic charges so half exploring a dungeon and reseting it while also running a ton of multiplayer on, I'm usually even or 1 level below new zones.
Later it might start always scaling to just +1 on new zones, since some folks were reporting how consistently that's the case for them.

FZeroRacer
Apr 8, 2009
from a certain perspective it was actually a pretty smart idea because it diverted literally all of the datamining attention away from other secrets in the game and towards figuring out how the gently caress to unlock archon lol

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011
When I heard about that data mining for the archon unlock I got a bit disappointed in it tbqh, there was people full on spending time trying to figure out that door only to find out they had literally no capacity to figure it out sans datamining

Sloober fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Jul 29, 2023

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Imo it's cool to have exactly one secret that's based on datamining.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

it's a brilliant bit of meta design

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

The Lone Badger posted:

Sorta, the areas stay at the level they are generated at but outside of the campaign they try to generate one power level above you. The best time to upgrade is whenever stuff starts feeling like its whooping your rear end, and because of campaign and how it caps around power level 13-15 ish, you should absolutely upgrade at least to +10 or +5 luminite

Or, the tldr version, 2 levels above means you should upgrade and are falling behind, 1 above is passive scaling.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

veni veni veni posted:

You aint seen nothin yet

was it the final boss? i actually died more on the custodians eye...

he was tough but i got him on my third attempt, life leech is op

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
for the campaign, you can enter the next zone and then immediately leave to upgrade your stuff. so, you will always be a little ahead of the scaling. doing it the other way around is more natural, unfortunately.

Carmant
Nov 23, 2015

Treadmill? What's that? Is that some kind of cake?

veni veni veni posted:

So far all of the bosses have sucked, but this one has given me

Yeah not really though. There are only two so far that I really disliked. And both of those probably more because of the modifier than the boss itself. Even then it never felt like complete bullshit, I mean I would consistently get better each try. Never felt like pure RNG or anything too obnoxious.

But the heal should definitely be faster that's true.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Carmant posted:

Yeah not really though. There are only two so far that I really disliked. And both of those probably more because of the modifier than the boss itself. Even then it never felt like complete bullshit, I mean I would consistently get better each try. Never felt like pure RNG or anything too obnoxious.

But the heal should definitely be faster that's true.

There are rings, amulets and a trait that can give you faster heals if you want that!

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Hell yeah, beat the Nightweaver tonight, took us a couple tries and my friend was about ready to throw in the towel but the combination of the Dog and the Space Crabs for the second phase specifically ended up being lifesavers. Felt real good. My friend has never played Dark Souls so it's nice to share that feeling of beating a boss just as you were about to give up after like 10 or more tries.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

for the campaign, you can enter the next zone and then immediately leave to upgrade your stuff. so, you will always be a little ahead of the scaling. doing it the other way around is more natural, unfortunately.

why would you do that though

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

explosivo posted:

Hell yeah, beat the Nightweaver tonight, took us a couple tries and my friend was about ready to throw in the towel but the combination of the Dog and the Space Crabs for the second phase specifically ended up being lifesavers. Felt real good. My friend has never played Dark Souls so it's nice to share that feeling of beating a boss just as you were about to give up after like 10 or more tries.

That was a fun boss with my friend, the shift into suddenly horror game was neat.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

That was a fun boss with my friend, the shift into suddenly horror game was neat.

We were high fiving and so proud of ourselves for killing it and then..

It really was quite comical.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Did any of you happen to get hit by the soul sucking grab?

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

I really think that you should only have been able to have Losomn or Yaesha as your starting biome and then had the opportunity to choose N'Erud as your second one. I lucked out and had Losomn first. If I had started in N'Erud I would have rerolled. There's not much interesting about it and a lot of the enemies are a pain to fight in some way or other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Did any of you happen to get hit by the soul sucking grab?

My friend did, I saw it happening and hit the shield because I knew he was about to get hosed up but it, uh, didn't help. Really fun boss fight.