Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I thought forgotten land was one of the longest Kirby games tbh, it took me 15 hours for 100 percent completion... I think?

It doesn't overstay its welcome, I think it's a perfect length and possibly close to being a perfect game?

What a joy it was playing that game during the pandemic :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

American McGay posted:

The levels are incredibly imaginative. The secrets are well hidden and rewarding. The music is insanely good. The boss fights are all sick as hell. Just an S+ of a video game.

Not an empty quote.

It's short but packed with quality. 0 regrets with a purchase for it. It's a game to replay for sure.

That said I'd vote Pikmin 4, despite not having started it, only because it's a series I adore and I want it to have as much love as possible.

Inzombiac posted:

Here's hoping Rockstar learned at least a little lesson.

From what I understand, management was adamant about getting out the door for the GTA3 20th anniversary but, of course, didn't give the devs enough time so they had to resort to AI upscaling for the bulk of the work.

I've enjoyed these. I need to get back into Vice City, but puttering around San Andreas has been really chill. I'd be happy to try RDR never having done so and having heard so much about them. If I've never played it is it worth the trouble? (trouble being it's old)

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
Nintendo hear me out: Metroid Pinball HD

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I've enjoyed these. I need to get back into Vice City, but puttering around San Andreas has been really chill. I'd be happy to try RDR never having done so and having heard so much about them. If I've never played it is it worth the trouble? (trouble being it's old)

Yeah I think so. RDR2 has way more detail and depth but it's also a huge slog sometimes in the name of realism.

The first one never felt like I was really wasting my time.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

Finally got out of the birthday party and got the kids to bed. Had to play some fortnite to numb my brain after that garbage festival. Anyway... Got some cool stuff today. Here it is:

Based on thread recommendation for the Final Fantasy. I ordered it a while ago and it finally got here today. I had seen A Short Hike on a video list and I can't remember if it was John Riggs or Metal Jesus who had suggested it initially. It was probably Metal Jesus and Reggie though. Anyway, that's $160 sitting right there. Final Fantasy 1-6 total up to 145 hours and A Short Hike is like 1.5 so that's just barely over $1.00 an hour for entertainment. Except that I can't bring myself to open ASH so I have to spend $8 to get it digitally.

Melon Journey: Bittersweet Memories is a mystery game and it came with a soundtrack CD of lo-fi jazz. Around 6.5 - 7 hours of game play.

Ib (that's the letter i, not an L or a 1... took me a while to figure that out...) is a mystery game in a museum. Also pretty highly rated and comes with an art book, it seems.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
A Short Hike is my second favorite game and I'm glad I'm not the only person that bought the physical Switch copy.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Kirby ATF Land is much better than Odyssey, I'll fight this one irl.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Jabu Jabu's belly is one of the worst dungeons in Zelda history. When I played Ages last time I just got so frustrated going around in circles I just stopped playing.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Jabu Jabu's belly is one of the worst dungeons in Zelda history. When I played Ages last time I just got so frustrated going around in circles I just stopped playing.

Did it like 4 days ago. It's not great. Once you figure it out it's fine but the thing is tedious. Most of those games are just tedious. It goes hard on the Metroidvania aspects of Zelda in that it very often blocks paths off until you get that one item, but because the maps are big and everything looks the same you may not be aware of where to go. It's not a pick up and play and put down for a few months game. I often forgot what was going on.

Inzombiac posted:

Yeah I think so. RDR2 has way more detail and depth but it's also a huge slog sometimes in the name of realism.

The first one never felt like I was really wasting my time.

Oh nice. What's the relationship with this game and Red Dead Revolver? I think the Western game I did on GC was Gun. Which was fine.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Oh nice. What's the relationship with this game and Red Dead Revolver? I think the Western game I did on GC was Gun. Which was fine.

AFAIK, nothing outside of the name and it being "Rockstar does western". Story and gameplay wise (Redemption being gta in the wild west, revolver not being that), I *think* they're completely separate.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yeah there's no relation other than Red Dead being a western IP they owned and could use for the name. Revolver started out as a cancelled Capcom game iirc? It's not much like the Redemption games and is closer to spaghetti western Max Payne with an utterly insane soundtrack. Worth a play if you don't mind some PS2 jank.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

John Wick of Dogs posted:

That dungeon also killed my playthrough of Ages back when the two games came on on 3DS. Then I finally powered through it months later, only to get stuck on the next dungeon after that.

gently caress those two dungeons.

Of course I promptly started a game of Ages on the Switch because I am an idiot who doesn't learn from her mistakes. Third time's the charm? (First time was when the games first came out. I have never managed to finish either of the Oracle games...)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

AFAIK, nothing outside of the name and it being "Rockstar does western". Story and gameplay wise (Redemption being gta in the wild west, revolver not being that), I *think* they're completely separate.

They are not completely separate but the references are just easter egg level

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Non Compos Mentis posted:

Nintendo hear me out: Metroid Pinball HD

I would love that.

I have completely lost myself in YEAH! YOU WANT "THOSE GAMES," RIGHT? SO HERE YOU GO! NOW, LET'S SEE YOU CLEAR THEM! I can't believe all of these fake games are as fun as they are. I cleared three of the five already and will probably finish the rest tonight. For $10 you can't go wrong.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

otter posted:

Finally got out of the birthday party and got the kids to bed. Had to play some fortnite to numb my brain after that garbage festival. Anyway... Got some cool stuff today. Here it is:

Bleck posted:

A Short Hike is my second favorite game and I'm glad I'm not the only person that bought the physical Switch copy.

It's not quite the same, but the graphics/camera style kinda remind me of it and it has the same level of "chill"...have either of y'all checked out Time on Frog Island?

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

otter posted:

Based on thread recommendation for the Final Fantasy. I ordered it a while ago and it finally got here today.
The Pixel Remasters was one of the first things I bought on Steam after I ordered my Steam Deck, since they didn't announced the console ports for a long time. Joke's on me though since they haven't updated the Steam version with the console port changes. Who knows if they ever will.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
The console versions will be Epic exclusive

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
wait what'd they change in the console versions? I remember the pc ones getting some patches but I stopped keeping up

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

Read After Burning posted:

It's not quite the same, but the graphics/camera style kinda remind me of it and it has the same level of "chill"...have either of y'all checked out Time on Frog Island?

I just got that too since it was $15 at woot.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

otter posted:

I just got that too since it was $15 at woot.

It's kinda a mix of A Short Hike (the camera angle, the map you're running around in) and the trading side-quests from Zelda games. Plus you get a little house you can upgrade! :dance:

There's no snarky dialogue though, as everyone communicates in little pictograms.

Palmtree Panic
Jul 28, 2007

He has no style, he has no grace

MMF Freeway posted:

wait what'd they change in the console versions? I remember the pc ones getting some patches but I stopped keeping up

Option to use a different font. Able to toggle between the original & remastered soundtracks.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

How's the new Pikmin game, are people enjoying it? I'm planning on picking it up tomorrow.

On an unrelated note, why the hell are e-shop titles priced the same as physical copies?

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Qubee posted:

On an unrelated note, why the hell are e-shop titles priced the same as physical copies?

:capitalism:

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Qubee posted:

It's because they're actually the same game. :ssh:

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Qubee posted:

Same reason convenience stores cost more: you're paying a premium on instant gratification.
Also, supply is guaranteed.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Old excuse was that publishers didn’t want to piss off physical retailers but nowadays lol

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

Read After Burning posted:

It's kinda a mix of A Short Hike (the camera angle, the map you're running around in) and the trading side-quests from Zelda games. Plus you get a little house you can upgrade! :dance:

There's no snarky dialogue though, as everyone communicates in little pictograms.

Nice. I might start that today then.
Especially since I went to Best Buy to get my games and they DO NOT have my copy of Illusion Island which I was planning on playing all weekend.
So I walked out with just my copy of Double Dragon Gaiden and they don't know when it will show up. I would be extremely tempted to order a copy from Target since they have 5 in stock, but best buy's website offered to send it to me next day for free (maybe because of the Best Buy Plus membership?)

Anyone who is playing Illusion Island already let me know what you think of it.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

https://twitter.com/NoisyPixelNews/status/1684968186385756160?s=20

I'm sure the guy who got the red text about lowballing for a copy of DD Advance in AwfulMart will be thrilled

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

Ok yeah, I'll play through Ages and Seasons but I'm gonna follow a guide. I'm on the second dungeon of Seasons and I've already run into an annoying part where I missed a key and have to backtrack through the whole place

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Double Dragon Advance owns

can't find a picture of Abobo finger guns so here is the TAS that uses it as a thumbnail

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQEZED5ELD8

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

Weird that so many goons experience a skill issue when attempting to play the Oracle games

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009

DLC Inc posted:

https://twitter.com/NoisyPixelNews/status/1684968186385756160?s=20

I'm sure the guy who got the red text about lowballing for a copy of DD Advance in AwfulMart will be thrilled

lol forgot about that guy

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

goethe.cx posted:

Ok yeah, I'll play through Ages and Seasons but I'm gonna follow a guide. I'm on the second dungeon of Seasons and I've already run into an annoying part where I missed a key and have to backtrack through the whole place

I’d suggest against it personally because what’s the point if you’re not even bothering with the gameplay?

The story’s nowhere near interesting enough to merit finishing it. If you’re doing it for completionism then more power to you.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
Some people use guides, oh no.

I have always used them and I make no apologies :colbert:

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I’d suggest against it personally because what’s the point if you’re not even bothering with the gameplay?

The story’s nowhere near interesting enough to merit finishing it. If you’re doing it for completionism then more power to you.

I have gotten stuck on Jabu Jabu's Belly every time I attempt to replay these games. You bet your rear end I'm using a guide this time. :colbert:

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

pwn posted:

Some people use guides, oh no.

I have always used them and I make no apologies :colbert:

I probably misunderstood and it's paired with my dislike for the games to make me a bit too cranky.

I've used guides and I've used guides to the letter in the past when I just either was trying to obsessively 100% something or because I sucked at a game and really wanted to see the story.

I don't think, outside of 100%ing it, the Oracle games merit completion. The story isn't good and the worlds' aren't interesting. The best thing they have going for them are their gameplay, even that... Still, using a guide nullifies that factor IF you're using it step by step and so at that point I wouldn't bother with the game since gameplay is all they have going for them barely.

That said, checking out a guide for a puzzle here and there or something that's very frustrating, that's fine. That's fine and using one 100% is also fine. Play the game's how you want, if play them you must. Sorry for the snappiness.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
lol at being mad over people using guides, sorry your honor i didn't mean to google about where this quest is exactly, i won't do it again

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
I definitely got stuck in Zelda OoA as a kid and never finished it. It didn’t have problems recently

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Sicko confession: I play most games with walkthrough guides. At least for some genres. I just don't find the kind of fumbling overworld exploration and item collection in the 2d zeldas or metroidvanias or modern open world games all that fun. If the gameplay itself can't sustain a game it's not worth playing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

icantfindaname posted:

Sicko confession: I play most games with walkthrough guides. At least for some genres. I just don't find the kind of fumbling overworld exploration and item collection in the 2d zeldas or metroidvanias or modern open world games all that fun. If the gameplay itself can't sustain a game it's not worth playing

sometimes exploration and discovery is a key component of The Gameplay.