Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

MassRafTer posted:

I would love that.

I have completely lost myself in YEAH! YOU WANT "THOSE GAMES," RIGHT? SO HERE YOU GO! NOW, LET'S SEE YOU CLEAR THEM! I can't believe all of these fake games are as fun as they are. I cleared three of the five already and will probably finish the rest tonight. For $10 you can't go wrong.

still waiting on uniracers hd remix

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

STONE COLD 64 posted:

sometimes exploration and discovery is a key component of The Gameplay.

Yeah, and I don't like it

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I bought he guide when I got Ages because I got upsold on it by the clerk, and I was a kid. But I got a Nintendo shirt with it, that I think I lost after wearing it maybe twice. But the jokes on them. I got Seasons later on, and that game suckled rear end to play right after Ages. And the guide was helpful to make that not as much of a slog. I only remember Jabu Jabu and the underground world. But I also remember being disappointed by the seasons gimmick compared to what I was expecting after the time stuff. I guess I thought 4 seasons would be a bigger deal compared to 2 times.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I used to slavishly follow guides as a youth, but have divested myself from them entirely, and have reached the gaming nirvana of just going with the flow and being okay with missing poo poo.

your gaming nirvana may be something else and that is fine, also

namaste

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I sometimes guide a little bit.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

they’re games for children, if you use guides you are a little baby

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Augus posted:

Ok blind how do you get knights of the round and 2nd question how did you know the answer to question one?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Final fantasy 7 is for mature adults.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
If you can’t find it on your own you don’t deserve to fin d it. Its just game philosophy

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Try buying a guide to point you towards the clue store

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Augus posted:

Your right, any adult that watched The Wizard and could find a warp whistle is definitely connected to Jeffrey Epstein

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Oscar Wild posted:

Your right, any adult that watched The Wizard and could find a warp whistle is definitely connected to Jeffrey Epstein
drat this dude is extremely not mad, and also going on an owning spree

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I will never look up where the warp whistles are because needing them is a skill issue

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Oscar Wild posted:

Ok blind how do you get knights of the round and 2nd question how did you know the answer to question one?

you don’t get it and instead you beat emerald weapon without it because you’re a badass

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

hatty posted:

I will never look up where the warp whistles are because needing them is a skill issue

Using warp whistles is so funny because it allows you to skip some of the best level designs in videogames ever created.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Warping is cheating. Anyone who warps should be kicked in the balls by Shigeru Miyamoto.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Augus posted:

you don’t get it and instead you beat emerald weapon without it because you’re a badass

I want 90 second animations while I'm beating the stupid underwater dragon

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

Feels Villeneuve posted:

I sometimes guide a little bit.

Just a little. As a treat.

Years ago I started buying old game guides and now people are into it again and they’re getting harder to get.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Augus posted:

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Guides are cool. It's just insane if you actually start up a game and instantly go to the guide without even trying to figure stuff out on your own. Hope This Helps (unabbreviated for impact)

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
The only guide I use, is Temenos's Guide to guide NPCs in Octopath Traveler II for the Nintendo Switch!

Raylax
Jul 21, 2021

Tshshshshshshshsh
I used a video guide to platinum the sage trial dandoris I'm sorry, where do I report to have my gamer card revoked

Raylax
Jul 21, 2021

Tshshshshshshshsh

Martman posted:

Guides are cool. It's just insane if you actually start up a game and instantly go to the guide without even trying to figure stuff out on your own. Hope This Helps (unabbreviated for impact)

I'm 100% in favour of using guides when you need them but I had a friend who played Demon's Souls (PS5) for the first time and just read a guide to optimise for every single area and boss before he stepped foot in there, looked up the cheesiest mage build and best equipment, and then said the game wasn't as hard as he'd been led to believe and he was surprised how quickly he'd got through it. Absolute psychopath behaviour

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Mega64 posted:

The only guide I use, is Temenos's Guide to guide NPCs in Octopath Traveler II for the Nintendo Switch!

Oh I used one for OT 1 to get all the character interactions. I suspect it's now impossible to do them all in one playthrough but that they're far easier to trigger and more intuitive? So for OT 2 you should just play with who you want and see what happens?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

STONE COLD 64 posted:

still waiting on uniracers hd remix

Uniracers got sued out of production by Pixar

Yak Shaves Dot Com
Jan 5, 2009
I really try to avoid using guides on a first playthrough, though I wish more games had spoiler free tips like Before I Play entries, just to avoid falling into certain fun-ruining traps in really long games

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I'm not using guides but I tell you what I am using: a password I found to start a linked game where you can still make all choices and a companion password to get all rings.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Oscar Wild posted:

You don't need kotr to beat the game.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Oh I used one for OT 1 to get all the character interactions. I suspect it's now impossible to do them all in one playthrough but that they're far easier to trigger and more intuitive? So for OT 2 you should just play with who you want and see what happens?

In OT2 ones you missed are accessible in your subquest menu

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Yak Shaves Dot Com posted:

I really try to avoid using guides on a first playthrough, though I wish more games had spoiler free tips like Before I Play entries, just to avoid falling into certain fun-ruining traps in really long games

Drake no.png

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009

Waffle! posted:

I'm borrowing Kirby Forgotten Land from my library and the game is so good. I'm really enjoying it.

Was playing kirby co-op with my kid and it was just good vibes the entire game. Lotta fun. We havent finished it though because TotK came out

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

John Wick of Dogs posted:

In OT2 ones you missed are accessible in your subquest menu

Oh man the game sounds great. It's going to be ages before I get around to it but it sounds perfect.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Practically nothing in OT2 is missable; it rules.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I got the deluxe hardcover guide to Tears of the Kingdom, because aside from just being a gorgeous hardcover book it's nice to just have a quick-reference with coordinates and screenshots of where poo poo is when you need to find a specific thing out of so, so much content in the game.

Raylax posted:

I used a video guide to platinum the sage trial dandoris I'm sorry, where do I report to have my gamer card revoked

Learning how to organize efficiently through another's advice is good Dandori. There is no shame here :colbert:.

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Oh man the game sounds great. It's going to be ages before I get around to it but it sounds perfect.

A lot of Octopath 2 is noticeably lessons learned from what people hated in Octopath 1. They don't even use the hard Chapter rotation of town ->dungeon ->boss like Octopath 1 did. Some chapters don't even have a boss, or all that much fighting, they just tell a really good story beat.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

DLC Inc posted:

https://twitter.com/NoisyPixelNews/status/1684968186385756160?s=20

I'm sure the guy who got the red text about lowballing for a copy of DD Advance in AwfulMart will be thrilled

Too bad it has 4 instead of Neon.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Speaking of Double Dragon, I tried out Gaiden yesterday. It can be a lot of fun, but there's few things more frustrating than getting juggled to death by 5 enemies at once.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Yak Shaves Dot Com posted:

At that point they should just design the game to not have the fun-ruining traps imo

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

John Wick of Dogs posted:

I'm not using guides but I tell you what I am using: a password I found to start a linked game where you can still make all choices and a companion password to get all rings.

Kinda wish I thought of that before starting my Ages run, but oh well!

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
I use a guide as soon as a video game inconveniences me for more than ten mins
Time is money nerds.

Thankfully most good games are designed for you to take less than a few mins to figure out next steps or the solution to a puzzle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

Just interesting: I sat down to plug in all the new game cards I got and do the software updates for each and collect any coins… final fantasy allowed me to collect 60 coins. This is odd because most games made for other regions don’t allow this on a US account. I find it interesting because it -could- mean there is or was a plan to release it physically in North America.

edit: oh, I'm a dumbass with brain damage (literally, from a car wreck) and apparently I already knew they had a NA release of it but it was a stupid low number of copies released in the middle of the night.

otter fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Jul 29, 2023